Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Is it as good as baldurs gate? That was my favorite ps2 game.

yeah

sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
what is it that makes game development a million-dollar costly affair?

what stops a AAA company from making something as good as Hotline Miami or Metroid Prime?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nintendo please bring Splatoon to PC. Even if that is the only game you bring to PC I will be happy as a clam.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
wheres the nintendo on pc news cause that sounds like fake

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ArfJason posted:

wheres the nintendo on pc news cause that sounds like fake

Nintendo are definitely licensing mobile games, that news has been doing the rounds everywhere

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Nintendo are definitely licensing mobile games, that news has been doing the rounds everywhere

yes but i thought mobile gaming meant uhhh mobile gaming? as in android or iphone? not saying you cant put garbage ios apps on the pc, cause theres quite a few on steam, but still sounds like a big logic leap

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ArfJason posted:

yes but i thought mobile gaming meant uhhh mobile gaming? as in android or iphone? not saying you cant put garbage ios apps on the pc, cause theres quite a few on steam, but still sounds like a big logic leap

quote:

Nintendo and DeNA are now planning the development of an online membership service accessible from smart devices, Windows PC and Nintendo systems. The membership service is slated to hit later this fall.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/17/8230521/nintendo-mobile-games-development-dena-ios

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Thank. still doubt we'll get full scale mario games on pc and such, but it'd be cool if it were to happen.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

quote:

It was only last year that a high-profile hedge fund manager in Asia, Seth Fischer, argued in a letter to Nintendo president and CEO Satoru Iwata that the company is "well placed" to enter the mobile gaming market.

"We believe Nintendo can create very profitable games based on in-game revenue models with the right development team," Fischer said at the time. "Just think of paying 99 cents just to get Mario to jump a little higher."

Fischer added that consumers no longer require a physical product.

"Nintendo needs to embrace this thematic change in consumer demand, behavior and expectations to stay relevant," Fischer wrote.

ha

ha

haaaaaaaaaaa

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Excels posted:

ha

ha

haaaaaaaaaaa

The Wii U sharktank thread nods its head vigorously

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Excels posted:

- kojima fired from konami

holy poo poo this is real

Excels posted:

ha

ha

haaaaaaaaaaa

this is the worst thing I have ever read, in my life

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

kojima's name was systematically wiped from all officially posted MGS5 promo images, and all references to him were removed from the MGS website

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Chris Benoit of games.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

kojima's name was systematically wiped from all officially posted MGS5 promo images, and all references to him were removed from the MGS website

it's messed upthat they did that but corporate japan is fucktarded

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Silent Hills is hosed now I guess. :/

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

also they renamed his entire company to "Konami Los Angeles"

this is Next Level corporate severance

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

UPDATE: Kojima's Ground Zeroes cameo mission has been patched out of the PC version.

this is some far-reaching poo poo man

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
what the gently caress lmao

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
in america this poo poo wouldnt fly *posts the patriot smiley(*

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Excels posted:

UPDATE: Kojima's Ground Zeroes cameo mission has been patched out of the PC version.

is this actually serious

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

is this actually serious
Yeah.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The Patriots are real.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

what the gently caress did he do to get memory holed like that?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

what the gently caress did he do to get memory holed like that?

He said prior to GZ that he was putting a lot of "taboo" mature themes into MGS5 and prioritizing his personal vision/creativity over profits, and "if I fail, I will probably have to leave the industry."

so bottom line, Kojima stepped over the line and brought the wrath of shareholders or Konami execs or something, and now they're writing him off entirely. apparently kojima is now officially considered an "independent contractor" and their 'contract' with Konami will formally end this December.

Excels fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 19, 2015

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Excels posted:

:stare: Hilarious. Disturbing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Excels posted:

He said prior to GZ that he was putting a lot of "taboo" mature themes into MGS5 and prioritizing his personal vision/creativity over profits, and "if I fail, I will probably have to leave the industry."

so bottom line, Kojima stepped over the line or something and brought the wrath of shareholders or Konami execs or something, and now they're writing him off entirely. apparently kojima is now officially considered an "independent contractor" and their 'contract' with Konami will formally end this December.

That's still a lot of blanks to fill in.

Maybe once the game comes out it'll be a really blatant story condemning Japan for not supporting gay marriage or something, but as of now all that basically could mean anything.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Excels posted:

so bottom line, Kojima stepped over the line and brought the wrath of shareholders or Konami execs or something, and now they're writing him off entirely. apparently kojima is now officially considered an "independent contractor" and their 'contract' with Konami will formally end this December.

ugh

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's some kind of publicity stunt?

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Isn't the whole reason MGS is wacky because Kojima originally wanted Zone of the Enders to be his legacy, so the development of the MGS series is a real life version of The Producers?

Or was that bullshit cause I heard that like 10 years ago

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Big Scary Owl posted:

they wouldn't do a stunt that makes their stock price go down lmao (it did)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Big Scary Owl posted:

Oreo announces they have put poop in all their cookies.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Excels posted:

7/10, it made me reinstall the game and beat the mission again.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Excels posted:

- kojima fired from konami
- nintendo making mobile/pc games
- gaben says no one at valve is making HL3
- sega dropping out of console arena

2015 has been kind of a poo poo year so far.

-Kojima has been openly trashing his masters at Konami since the PS2 era and has made it no secret that he only keeps making MGS games because they make him which is why they keep getting more unhinged and masturbatory with every installment. If anything it's surprising he lasted this long.
-Nintendo bombed so hard with the WiiU that a $10 billion war chest that fanboys bragged would keep them in business until 2050 was depleted in about three years, it's only because of all the fuckery between the yen and the US dollar artificially inflating their net worth that they were even able to hold out this long.
-The Half-Life 2 formula was getting old when Ep 2 came out in 2007, not even the developers can pretend to be interested in a linear shooter with health packs and giant seesaws anymore.
-Sega's console games have been floundering in quality and sales ever since they ran out of stillborn Dreamcast sequels to dump onto the original Xbox, the fact that they managed to hold out this long is surprising and them being one of the first Japanese devs to pay attention to the PC is the smartest thing they've done this decade.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sega's going to mobile, not to PC.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sleeveless posted:

-Kojima has been openly trashing his masters at Konami since the PS2 era and has made it no secret that he only keeps making MGS games because they make him which is why they keep getting more unhinged and masturbatory with every installment. If anything it's surprising he lasted this long.
-Nintendo bombed so hard with the WiiU that a $10 billion war chest that fanboys bragged would keep them in business until 2050 was depleted in about three years, it's only because of all the fuckery between the yen and the US dollar artificially inflating their net worth that they were even able to hold out this long.
-The Half-Life 2 formula was getting old when Ep 2 came out in 2007, not even the developers can pretend to be interested in a linear shooter with health packs and giant seesaws anymore.
-Sega's console games have been floundering in quality and sales ever since they ran out of stillborn Dreamcast sequels to dump onto the original Xbox, the fact that they managed to hold out this long is surprising and them being one of the first Japanese devs to pay attention to the PC is the smartest thing they've done this decade.

lol

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
The only good Konami properties are dead in the water now or have been for years, so I guess it's as good a time as ever to let them go under.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

Sega's going to mobile, not to PC.
They've said they'll be focusing on PC as well.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Excels posted:

the story of the video game metal gear 5 is now probably as weird as the story of metal gear 5

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Excels posted:

they wouldn't do a stunt that makes their stock price go down lmao (it did)

Their stock only went down like 0.60%.

Konami probably doesn't give a gently caress since they get a ton more money from pachinko machines, their fitness clubs and mobile games. This probably has more to do with them no longer being interested in AAA game development from a perfectionist who takes five years to develop games and in the end doesn't make them as much money as their other business ventures. They probably tried to get Kojima to work on mobile or something else and he refused so this is happening, I doubt it has to do with Konami being angry that he wants to add vagina bombs in video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Patching his content out of the PC version of a game is bizarrely petty though, although I wouldn't be surprised if that's him asking to be erased out of spite over whatever the disagreement was.

• Locked thread