Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

After some halfass poo poo like that, did you really expect the electrical to be done in a workman-like manner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

CopperHound posted:

Why do all these improperly installed sensors still have all the excess wire slack? Are they delusional enough to think that they will fix it later? :effort:

Maybe they have the same problem I do where spiders build webs in front of the sensors and leaves and other debris get stuck in the web and block the sensors and they don't want to clean them because eww spiders.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CopperHound posted:

Why do all these improperly installed sensors still have all the excess wire slack? Are they delusional enough to think that they will fix it later? :effort:

e: Or does the wire come stripped and they are too lazy to cut and strip it again?

The part where they're lazy.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I was really tempted to bypass the beam sensor. In fact, when I installed mine, I left them off; was kinda bummed out that the door would not work without them (grew up with a '60s-vintage Aladdin Genie, which wouldn't even reverse if it dropped on an obstruction. In the Sixties, we just had the common sense to not gently caress with the door).

I finally just installed them per instructions, about 18" off the floor. Learned to sorta lean back & hit the button after my legs had cleared the beam.

Cats, of course, will always find a way. (cat was OK, according to the owner)

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
I applaud the crappy installs that still have all the excess wire. At least you don't have to buy more to fix it. Maybe the biggest annoyance of fixing such a bodge is knowing that they threw out the extra wire, staples, and even mounting brackets needed to do it correctly.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm gonna guess California is why they can't just not hook the things up if they don't want them.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Javid posted:

I'm gonna guess California is why they can't just not hook the things up if they don't want them.

https://www.cpsc.gov/PageFiles/121504/523.pdf

I guess you could blame scores of dead children. Or would you like to say the federal government is over reaching by forbidding the sale of objects that could be made significantly less deadly for a minuscule cost

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 18, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BUT BUT DARWIN

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Javid posted:

They are hard wired into the controls. Disconnecting them would require jumping circuit board wires. Which is why the sensors are left intact and out of the way.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

I bet you'd rather have a hot water heater that was $.50 cheaper but prone to exploding, too. The cost on these things is pretty miniscule, installation is easy, and they only get in the way when either a) you can't use the door anyway because you'd crush whatever is tripping the sensor, or b) you're trying to race the door, in which case without the sensor you'd be gambling that you don't trip and get crushed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I sure wanted to see people arguing about stupid poo poo instead of posting crappy construction stuff.

Here's why concrete formwork strength is important. Fortunately no one died:
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/12/federal_safety_officials_build.html

Apparently the formwork for the concrete parking deck they were pouring wasn't up to the task of holding up that much wet concrete. People forget that wet concrete is heavy as poo poo (about 1.5 tons per cubic yard) and won't support itself until it cures. It's wet and flows, so it's always worst at the bottom of the forms, too, since it acts somewhat like a water column.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

kastein posted:

I sure wanted to see people arguing about stupid poo poo instead of posting crappy construction stuff.

Here's why concrete formwork strength is important. Fortunately no one died:
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/12/federal_safety_officials_build.html

Apparently the formwork for the concrete parking deck they were pouring wasn't up to the task of holding up that much wet concrete. People forget that wet concrete is heavy as poo poo (about 1.5 tons per cubic yard) and won't support itself until it cures. It's wet and flows, so it's always worst at the bottom of the forms, too, since it acts somewhat like a water column.

Huh. Good poo poo to know as I was gonna dabble in some concrete projects this summer and didn't even think about how much that poo poo weighs.. I am always vastly intelligent. :smith:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

LiquidCatnip posted:

Huh. Good poo poo to know as I was gonna dabble in some concrete projects this summer and didn't even think about how much that poo poo weighs.. I am always vastly intelligent. :smith:

Well, as long as you're pouring directly on flat ground, you shouldn't have too much of an issue. The Earth can support a lot of weight :v: If you're on a slope though, or trying to do an elevated pour like is done for parking structures, then things get trickier.

For personal projects, though, you should be under no illusions about how much concrete weighs because those bags are 80 pounds apiece. And then you go and add water to them when you mix them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, it's pretty hard to gently caress up pouring slabs, make sure you compact it properly or you'll get voids and make sure your forms won't tip over or bow outward and that's about it.

For tall walls the pressure at the bottom increases mostly linearly with height, so just take that into account or the bottom of the form will blow out.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Relevant, this was a perfectly smooth, level, and uncracked patio before this last winter. I discovered it yesterday since the snow/ice finally melted away.

Not sure if this is a sign of being badly done or just bad luck with a nasty winter, but it doesn't seem like there's the stone I'd expect to find underneath the concrete so I'm leaning towards the former.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

They probably didn't correctly prepare the ground with the right sand/stones. I've seen a lot of DIY garden "improvements" where people just slap pavers down on dirt and then it looks exactly like this after a year or two, and only gets worse over time. Sometimes they do a really really nice job too. This one old guy I watched working almost every day for a few months doing a sort of Portuguese tile thing with various sizes of stone bricks, but he only dug up a bit of the grass and poured a tiny layer of sand down first. It looks like absolute poo poo now and has grass and small bushes trying to grow up through the cracks already.

I was really impressed by the fairly traditional methods of road and sidewalk work in Prague. It's all just loose by well put down stone blocks. Need to do some road work or "dig" up a sidewalk? Just pull up the tiles, no jack-hammers needed. Once you're done just re-lay them and toss some sand over top.

This was road work, the sidewalk work was even easier. If you have a bit of metal you can get a brick loose and if you wanted to you could basically just steal the sidewalk.

They can do amazing patterns and designs just out of the standard 2 shades the city uses. They can be very simple and just 1 colour, or a very basic pattern, or detailed designed. Sometimes buildings will have their name or address written in the stones out front.

I don't know why more sidewalks aren't done like this. I guess it's more physical work and actually requires a skill base?

Need major sidewalk repairs? Just send a dude with a bag of sand, a broom, and drop a pallet of tiles off next to him. I wonder if they have set designs or if the guy laying that strip decides? Sometimes they have a hammer and chisel to cut the blocks for fancy work.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Mar 19, 2015

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know why more sidewalks aren't done like this. I guess it's more physical work and actually requires a skill base?

:v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

These machines blow my mind much the same way knitting machines do. Yes, I know mechanically it's not terribly complicated, I still find it impressive.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I think that machine still requires the operators to manually lay out the pattern, but it is still a hell of a lot nicer than being on your hands and knees all day.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkVBg_-OviI

Pretty much.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I can get a pic of it if there is interest, but as a motorcycle security effort I bought a bag of cement, a length of heavy duty chain, an iron shackle, and a big Tupperware container. I made a giant fuckoff cement block with integral chain connected to the shackle, which sticks above the cement. I have another bike specific chain that I connect to the bike and secure through the shackle. I estimate the block at around 400lbs... If someone steals my motorcycle with this setup they obviously deserve it.... It's not even a fancy bike, but people are assholes.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

I can get a pic of it if there is interest, but as a motorcycle security effort I bought a bag of cement, a length of heavy duty chain, an iron shackle, and a big Tupperware container. I made a giant fuckoff cement block with integral chain connected to the shackle, which sticks above the cement. I have another bike specific chain that I connect to the bike and secure through the shackle. I estimate the block at around 400lbs... If someone steals my motorcycle with this setup they obviously deserve it.... It's not even a fancy bike, but people are assholes.

Of course we want a pic.

Me, I would just steal the block.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'd just encase the bike in cement. It's the only way to be sure.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

400 pounds is a very large bag of cement.

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Maybe it was mixed with heavy water.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Good news:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mr-t-lands-home-improvement-782994

Home improvement show starring Mr T called I Pity the Tool.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

GreenNight posted:

Good news:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mr-t-lands-home-improvement-782994

Home improvement show starring Mr T called I Pity the Tool.

Better than "Ice T Causes Crib Death"

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I want more seasons of the Adam Carolla Project.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

`Nemesis posted:

Why would you do this instead of installing a floor anchor? Not like it's any less permanent than a 400lb rock.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Baronjutter posted:

If you have a bit of metal you can get a brick loose and if you wanted to you could basically just steal the sidewalk.
It would be more traditional to throw the loose pavers at the police. :anarchists:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Captain Cool posted:

Why would you do this instead of installing a floor anchor? Not like it's any less permanent than a 400lb rock.

Because I rent.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

`Nemesis posted:

Because I rent.
What's your plan when you move out? Patching a hole in the ground (if the owners even care) seems easier than getting rid of 400lbs of concrete.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Captain Cool posted:

What's your plan when you move out? Patching a hole in the ground (if the owners even care) seems easier than getting rid of 400lbs of concrete.

Not if you are doing it legally/ethically.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Captain Cool posted:

Take it with me? Already done it when I last moved.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

So 400 pounds is a wild overestimate, right?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
I don't think so, though I don't have anything to weigh it with. It's not hard to move with some equipment.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

`Nemesis posted:

I estimate the block at around 400lbs... If someone steals my motorcycle with this setup they obviously deserve it....

`Nemesis posted:

Take it with me? Already done it when I last moved.

Really? It's easy for you to transport?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

`Nemesis posted:

I don't think so, though I don't have anything to weigh it with. It's not hard to move with some equipment.

What are its dimensions?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Dunno, it's in storage with the bike. I'll get a pic and measurements over the weekend I think.

Looks like there's online calculators that'll give a good estimate of the weight.

bobbilljim posted:

Really? It's easy for you to transport?

Yes. Humans have invented all sorts of neat tools that enable them to do things that their bodies alone cannot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

`Nemesis posted:

You said a bag of concrete. 400 lbs would be 5 bags. So is it 400 lbs or 80?