Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Is the Dromoka Brood good for the pre-release? White has some good aggressive 1 and 2 drops and removal, and then its top end seems absurd.

I also want to get double Enduring Scalelords and swing with an X/X flyer, where X is triple my opponent's life total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The commons look pretty well balanced in this so you can probably just go which whatever?

I feel like green is a really safe pick for the first PR you do since you're likely to get 1-3 fixers to let you splash the offcolor nonsense you know will be good, rather than trying to sort out which commons you absolutely need.

I wanna open the assault formation + sight of the scalelords dream deck though

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

It's a prerelease, just do whatever is most fun. My enjoyment of (and, interestingly, record at) prereleases has gone up since I stopped doing more than a cursory analysis of the set and just picked what I thought I'd like to play instead of trying to optimize like that.

GlennFinito
Oct 15, 2013

Gensuki posted:

Is the Dromoka Brood good for the pre-release? White has some good aggressive 1 and 2 drops and removal, and then its top end seems absurd.

I also want to get double Enduring Scalelords and swing with an X/X flyer, where X is triple my opponent's life total.

Dramoka seems good. Conifer Strider (5/1 hexproof, 4cmc, common) seems really strong with bolster.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
I'm going GW at the midnight prerelease only because I have an irrational fondness for loading up all my creatures with +1/+1 counters and that seems like the best way to do it. Then I'll go to a noon event at a more competitive store and play the "best" pack because there's nothing that facilitates excellent play and deckbuilding quite like the bleary-eyed epiphany that I'm trying to be the king of the nerds on two hours of sleep.

Also, the dragon dice bowling for promos thing is pretty hard if you want to get the rare promo, and my store at least has been giving very few of the rare promos to reflect this. My store set it up on their counter so people could gently caress around with it while they waited to buy singles, I think I hit 18+ points maybe 2-3 times out of 30ish rolls and you only get two on the day of. You basically have to hit the x2 spot in the middle while also knocking down multiple 3-4 pin things that are located on the perimeter. It's listed as while supplies last, so if I'm just uniquely bad at it and it's actually super easy they'll be out of the rares in a hurry, not that anyones going to be going apeshit for promo Foe-Razer Regent.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
This is the first time I won't be doing the prerelease at my LGS. Which kind of sucks considering I won the last 3.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
FYI, if you have to ask an Internet forum which color/guild/brood pack is the best at the pre-release, you're probably not winning the tournament even if you get it.

Just pick whichever seems fun you nerds.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm going Kolaghan because I think it could have the two rares I want (Zurgo and Thunderbreak, not sure if I'm wrong there). Plus Dash is totally sweet.

e: also I need a purple die.

Angry Grimace posted:

So what's the one card in DTK that you think is going to change Standard the most?

I'm guessing (seriously) Roast.
It's definitely the biggest thing for me. Being able to tell Siege Rhino and Polukranos to gently caress off for 2 mana outside of white seems huge.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I'm gonna play Kolaghan because I played Mardu the last two times and turning creatures sideways is the path to true enlightenment.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

GlennFinito posted:

Dramoka seems good. Conifer Strider (5/1 hexproof, 4cmc, common) seems really strong with bolster.

Most of your bolster effects are still only getting it up to like 3 toughness at most, where it will still trade with pretty much anything, but it doesn't actually win combat against anything. I suppose the dream is it hit it with the 4G Bolster 4 instant, but almost all the other bolster effects in the set are Bolster 1. And if you spent a card and a half making a 7/3 or something, I'm happy to just trade my 3/2 or whatever for it and move on. If you can give it some kind of evasion you're in business though.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

whydirt posted:

FYI, if you have to ask an Internet forum which color/guild/brood pack is the best at the pre-release, you're probably not winning the tournament even if you get it.

There isn't a crazy expensive card in one of the seeded packs this time, so there's no reason to care beyond what looks cool.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

This is the first time I won't be doing the prerelease at my LGS. Which kind of sucks considering I won the last 3.

It could be worse. The schmuck who runs our LGS now plain forgot to sign up in time, so we just don't get one. I swear to god, if he gets the only shop for over 100 Miles shut down on his pure laziness after myself and a few others worked it for free for a year just to keep the shop running until a new Real Owner could take it, I flat out won't forgive him for it.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

whydirt posted:

Close the thread until next spoiler season. It's all downhill from here.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My favorite Bolster interaction in the set is that if you control two Enduring Scalelords and can somehow put a +1/+1 counter on either of them, you can go infinite and get two arbitrarily large dragons.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Did they say what will be in the seeded packs? Is it just the stuff with the brood watermark on?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Toshimo posted:

Close the thread until next spoiler season. It's all downhill from here.

Why not just change the subject if you don't like when the thread talks about something stupidly? Here, I'll start: what kind of behavior would you say is not in keeping with the spirit of the Commander format?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Attorney at Funk posted:

Why not just change the subject if you don't like when the thread talks about something stupidly?
Because he's the thread grandpa, waving his cane at the whippersnappers and screaming everyone and everything is poo poo.

Toshimo is like Cranky Kong if he posted on the internet about magical cards and the wizards who love them. And also real. And less about bananas. Somewhat.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Did they say what will be in the seeded packs? Is it just the stuff with the brood watermark on?

If it's anything at all like the previous two sets, then each brood has 8 possible seeded packs, each of which has the dual life-land, the dragon monument, and only on-color cards, with a rare that has a 1/8 chance of being the dragonlord. 3 of the other 8 possible rares will probably be the rare dragons in your colors, which leaves 4 slots for other on-color rares.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Spiderdrake posted:

Because he's the thread grandpa, waving his cane at the whippersnappers and screaming everyone and everything is poo poo.

Toshimo is like Cranky Kong if he posted on the internet about magical cards and the wizards who love them. And also real. And less about bananas. Somewhat.

Let go of my cards you drat dirty ape.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

My favorite Bolster interaction in the set is that if you control two Enduring Scalelords and can somehow put a +1/+1 counter on either of them, you can go infinite and get two arbitrarily large dragons.

Keep putting the counters on until the game is a draw. :v:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Please try this in every game you play for the rest of the season

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Mercury Crusader posted:

I'm gonna play Kolaghan because I played Mardu the last two times and turning creatures sideways is the path to true enlightenment.

This man speaks the truth. Ive gone Mardu the past 2 prereleases and done well in each.

pctD
Aug 25, 2009

Pillbug
I'm either taking Dromoka or Ojutai because my one Fate pack is going to have a Citadel Siege in it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

It can't be a draw. It's a "you may" effect, so it can't go infinite, and you always have turns to go to even if you time out the round. :goonsay:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

I think this may be the dumbest deck I have ever made in limited (or constructed for that matter)

obviously playing future sight in the 4 color deck

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Entropic posted:

This is going to be a thing that will happen to at least one person per large prerelease, isn't it

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
You know, I never even noticed that there was an Dragon-themed Edict in this set. (although it seems like its just worse than Tribute to Hunger, but whatever)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

dragon enthusiast posted:

This is going to be a thing that will happen to at least one person per large prerelease, isn't it

I think it's an uncommon (can't look it up to see) so yeah, theres actually a shot that it will happen

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
What's better than two Enduring Scalelords going infinite?

Rendering them both impotent with two Dragon Hunters.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Naya Scalelords.

Zap your favored hoplight with spark blast to trigger the +1/+1 that causes your Enduring Scalelords to go infinite. Scry 1 :getin:

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
VINTAGE THUNDERDOME feature match goin live at http://twitch.tv/gangsines

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

qbert posted:

What's better than two Enduring Scalelords going infinite?

Rendering them both impotent with two Dragon Hunters.

How does the DEBT protection work when it's this specific?

I know that dragons can't damage it, but when it comes to targeting, can Boltwing Marauder give it +2/+0? Can Rimescale Dragon tap it? Can Dragonlord Silumgar take control of it?

My assumption is that all of those are no, but some are triggered abilities and some are activated and there might be a difference?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

He can't be targeted, damaged or blocked by dragons. So no in all those cases. Dragons may also not enchant him, as his heart belongs solely to Dromoka.

When he blocks her he does two points of damage via terrible scalie poetry.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

End of Life Guy posted:

I know that dragons can't damage it, but when it comes to targeting, can Boltwing Marauder give it +2/+0? Can Rimescale Dragon tap it? Can Dragonlord Silumgar take control of it?

My assumption is that all of those are no, but some are triggered abilities and some are activated and there might be a difference?

There is no difference, the answer to all of them is no because the source is a dragon.

ZoMBiePiGGy
Mar 26, 2007
Who put my stapler in jello!?!?

End of Life Guy posted:

Protection prevents targeting from a source of that type, so it cannot be targeted by abilities from a Dragon source. Although, the original Silmgar's -1/-1 would still work since it doesn't target.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007

End of Life Guy posted:

Triggered or activated makes no difference as far as protection is concerned. None of those abilities work because they are all targeted. Siege Dragon won't kill it because the damage is prevented (but note that something like Wild Slash can override this effect!). However, Deathbringer Regent's trigger will be able to take down Dragon Hunters because it doesn't target or do damage.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

Naya Scalelords.

Zap your favored hoplight with spark blast to trigger the +1/+1 that causes your Enduring Scalelords to go infinite. Scry 1 :getin:

An actual Scalelord deck would be running Citadel Siege/Ajani, Mentor into Scalelord + Twinflame.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

An actual Scalelord deck would be running Citadel Siege/Ajani, Mentor into Scalelord + Twinflame.

This is so dumb but so tempting to try at an fnm. Twinflame I didn't think of. Could also use the new anafenza, maybe see the unwritten, and some decent g/w value creatures to double as a g/w midrange creature deck.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

This is so dumb but so tempting to try at an fnm. Twinflame I didn't think of. Could also use the new anafenza, maybe see the unwritten, and some decent g/w value creatures to double as a g/w midrange creature deck.

It is something you'd want to ramp into as quickly as possible with the added bonus that Citadel Siege makes your durdly Caryatids/Coursers into monsters in the mean time. Something like:

4 Elvish Mystic
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Rattleclaw Mystic
4 Courser of Kruphix
3 Genesis Hydra
3 Citadel Siege
3 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
4 Enduring Scalelord
4 Twinflame
1 See the Unwritten
2 Dromoka's Command

4 Nykthos
3 Wooded Foothills
3 Windswept Heath
4 Temple of Plenty
2 Mana Confluence
2 Mountain
2 Plains
4 Forest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Has anyone noticed that not only does Virulent Plague hose token strategies, but it's also really good anti-Elspeth tech?

My favorite wincon :(

• Locked thread