Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh posted:

:unsmith:

I suppose I can half rear end something by tomorrow afternoon.

I half assed something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

Some cool fights coming up in ADCC this year:
http://www.bjjee.com/featured/2015-adcc-dates-confirmed-new-location-kron-buchecha-galvao-more-to-compete/

"legend superfights" include Renzo Gracie vs Matt Hughes and Ricardo Liborio vs Ze Mario Sperry

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah those are women or I'm out of my drat mind.

Thank you. I looked at that for a good three minutes, re-reading it, assuming I was having a stroke.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Also, I might be stupid, but that "weird foot choke" is just a gogoplata, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Nice

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LobsterMobster posted:

Also, I might be stupid, but that "weird foot choke" is just a gogoplata, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Yes, it's a mounted gogoplata.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

raingwc posted:

Some cool fights coming up in ADCC this year:
http://www.bjjee.com/featured/2015-adcc-dates-confirmed-new-location-kron-buchecha-galvao-more-to-compete/

"legend superfights" include Renzo Gracie vs Matt Hughes and Ricardo Liborio vs Ze Mario Sperry

the older generation of Gracies have been pretty disappointing recently. Fingers crossed Renzo doesn't get crushed into a country breakfast.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
This starts kinda lovely, but was a fun one.

https://youtu.be/mSuB64OaDsY

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Xguard86 posted:

the older generation of Gracies have been pretty disappointing recently. Fingers crossed Renzo doesn't get crushed into a country breakfast.

Renzo at least is still active in training current, good grapplers and fighters. I'm Nova Uniao now but I used to be with a Royce affiliate. They ended up leaving the association because Royce is going just as nuts to his affiliates as he is to the general population.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

awkward_turtle posted:

Renzo at least is still active in training current, good grapplers and fighters. I'm Nova Uniao now but I used to be with a Royce affiliate. They ended up leaving the association because Royce is going just as nuts to his affiliates as he is to the general population.

I've always wanted to go to a Royce seminar, it would be nice to get a blue belt without having to pay sixty bucks and roll around for an hour at a "grading". Then again I'd have to pay for the seminar, so you can see the bind I'm in.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS
Where do you have to pay 60 bucks and go to a grading? My coach just gave me a blue belt when he thought I deserved it.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Two judo questions:

1. I'm looking for a good book, something ideally covering the core throws and groundwork, as well as history and etiquette and stuff, basically the whole syllabus. Any suggestions? I know it's all information that's available online, but I'd like a book to sit with all my BJJ stuff on the shelf. One thing I really love about judo is the concise syllabus.

2. I've been getting this sort of vague soreness/stiffness ranging from my butt to the bottom of my ribs. Not particularly painful or anything. Is that just a normal thing from getting thrown a lot, or are my breakfalls garbage?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Your half-rear end effort would be a multi-year project for me.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Two judo questions:

1. I'm looking for a good book, something ideally covering the core throws and groundwork, as well as history and etiquette and stuff, basically the whole syllabus.

Kodokan Judo by Jigoro Kano himself

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

2. I've been getting this sort of vague soreness/stiffness ranging from my butt to the bottom of my ribs. Not particularly painful or anything. Is that just a normal thing from getting thrown a lot, or are my breakfalls garbage?

Hard to say. Never happened to you before? Is it basically back soreness? Did you only ground grappling before?

Bad falls can cause all sorts of pains but it could also just be the way you throw people. May be you get your hip out too much and put too much strain on your back. There's a million thing that could be the cause I guess. If there is no single thing that seem to make it worst, it's going to be hard to pinpoint the cause.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Dangersim posted:

Where do you have to pay 60 bucks and go to a grading? My coach just gave me a blue belt when he thought I deserved it.

It's $50 to get a belt promotion at my school and they only do promotions twice a year, no stripes.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

always be closing posted:

Seconding this. There's even a section at the end about what to do if you accidentally knock somebody balls up into their pelvis. "Best Judo" would be another book along the same vein that doesn't have as much history and other non-technique content, but has much better pictures. The ones in Kodokan Judo are really grainy due to the time period in which they were taken.

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
The Canon of Judo by Mifune. Core soreness/stiffness could be anything, see a doctor for acute pain and use stretching or contrast therapy for the rest. Remember that practicing proper ukemi is just as important as nagekomi- make it crisp and controlled every time, and communicate with the tori for best possible results.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Gadamer posted:

It's $50 to get a belt promotion at my school and they only do promotions twice a year, no stripes.

where is your school so i can never go there?

promotions at my school involve everyone swapping in on the promotee during rolling without him having any idea what's going on and we go until he's tired enough that a white belt can mount him. Then the instructor jumps in and tries to get his back and puts the belt on him.

bjj gyms are like the last bastion of unadulterated hazing in this great nation.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

where is your school so i can never go there?

promotions at my school involve everyone swapping in on the promotee during rolling without him having any idea what's going on and we go until he's tired enough that a white belt can mount him. Then the instructor jumps in and tries to get his back and puts the belt on him.

bjj gyms are like the last bastion of unadulterated hazing in this great nation.

Yamasaki Academy, DC area. It's still the cheapest school by far in monthly dues - Ryan Hall charges near $300/month for a spot way out in the burbs.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

always be closing posted:

Cheers.

Gadamer posted:

Yamasaki Academy, DC area. It's still the cheapest school by far in monthly dues - Ryan Hall charges near $300/month for a spot way out in the burbs.

God, I wished I had the tough choice between Ryan Hall or Mario Yamasaki. That's a good problem to have.

KingColliwog posted:

Hard to say. Never happened to you before? Is it basically back soreness? Did you only ground grappling before?

Bad falls can cause all sorts of pains but it could also just be the way you throw people. May be you get your hip out too much and put too much strain on your back. There's a million thing that could be the cause I guess. If there is no single thing that seem to make it worst, it's going to be hard to pinpoint the cause.

I'll give it a few months and see what happens, I guess.

naphta
Sep 18, 2008

quote:

God, I wished I had the tough choice between Ryan Hall or Mario Yamasaki. That's a good problem to have.

I believe it's an affiliate, and Mario doesent teach there. He is right about Hall and the cost though.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

naphta posted:

I believe it's an affiliate, and Mario doesent teach there. He is right about Hall and the cost though.

The main Yamasaki is in the DC suburbs as well and is where promotions are done - I train at their affiliate in the city for convenience sake (45 minutes on a train versus 10 minutes on a bike). I've never done a class there but I do think Mario teaches at least a little bit, based on the pictures that get put up on Facebook.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I guess I can't blame name guys for taking advantage and making that money, but paying for promotions is some Karate America poo poo. It's too bad he does that.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I guess I can't blame name guys for taking advantage and making that money, but paying for promotions is some Karate America poo poo. It's too bad he does that.

In theory, when the instructor tells me I am about to be promoted, I can just respond "naw man, I'm cool."

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, that sucks alright.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Gadamer posted:

By all accounts Hall is an excellent instructor but I still consider it hilarious that he's charging $300/mo in the Virginia suburbs when Renzo charges less than $200 in the heart of loving Manhattan.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Buying promotions is bad, paying for promotions isn't inherently bad, especially if there is a formal test involved. BJJ is pretty much the only art that doesn't have tests/fees for promotions. And that might be due to BJJ having pretty hefty monthly fees in most places, so you've already more than bought that belt.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

By all accounts Hall is an excellent instructor but I still consider it hilarious that he's charging $300/mo in the Virginia suburbs when Renzo charges less than $200 in the heart of loving Manhattan.

Going by this and his videos it seems that Hall just overcharges for everything he's involved with.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

fatherdog posted:

The suburbs around DC have some of the richest neighborhoods per capita in the country. I don't know if he's near those but if you're charging 300$ that's the place to do it.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Did my first competition in a while today. Was coming off a hip injury which kept me from shooting so I had to pull guard which felt bizarre and I ended up gassing hard by my 3rd match. Ended up getting 3rd in my adult division which was pretty big and good, then poo poo the bed in masters and yanked that 2nd place medal in a 2 man division.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Kekekela posted:

Did my first competition in a while today. Was coming off a hip injury which kept me from shooting so I had to pull guard which felt bizarre and I ended up gassing hard by my 3rd match. Ended up getting 3rd in my adult division which was pretty big and good, then poo poo the bed in masters and yanked that 2nd place medal in a 2 man division.

A silver medal is a silver medal.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Garry Tonon was on Rogan's podcast. Skip the first 25 minutes unless you're real interested in Joe and Eddie's take on rap videos and evolutionary psychology.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Thanks for posting that link, Tonon's one of my current favorites.

Lost For Words posted:

Skip the first 25 minutes unless you're real interested in Joe and Eddie's take on rap videos and evolutionary psychology.
This pretty much sucked me into watching the first 25 minutes and I'm probably near-retarded but I can't stop laughing so far. :downs:

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

So I got ringworm. What's the best way to take care of it.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Dangersim posted:

Get some anti-fungal cream from the pharmacy - look for the cheaper alternative to tinactin.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dangersim posted:

Athletes foot cream. It'll have instructions for ringworm on the package. Lamasil clears it up the quickest. Just make sure you keep using it for the full week, don't stop once it fades.

Make sure to keep it covered, wash your sheets, and when you're toweling off after a shower don't rub your towel over it. And take a week off from working out so you don't spread it around to your workout partners.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

origami posted:

Get some anti-fungal cream from the pharmacy - look for the cheaper alternative to tinactin.

Tinactin takes like a month to clear up ringworm.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Fungus is really tenacious so be sure to treat it for the full length recommended and try to keep the affected area isolated from literally everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Cool thanks guys