Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Kenshin posted:

I've just preordered the D7200 myself, it'll be a hell of an upgrade over my D3200 for birding.
I was going to suggest this to you in the bird photography thread. The AF on the D7200 looks really nice - you're going to be a lot less frustrated with shooting at 600mm once you get everything fine-tuned.

Edit: My D800 is looking like it needs a back focus adjustment - all my lenses require a fairly large negative AF fine tune value to work well now and if it slips any more, I won't be able to use AF with some of them. I've never sent in a Nikon body for this kind of servicing before, and I'm wondering if there are any third party service centers that can do this cheaper with faster turnaround than the Nikon U.S.A. facilities. Does anyone have any recommendations for specific service centers or warnings about which ones to avoid?

Moon Potato fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Moon Potato posted:

I was going to suggest this to you in the bird photography thread. The AF on the D7200 looks really nice - you're going to be a lot less frustrated with shooting at 600mm once you get everything fine-tuned.
Yep. I just canceled my Amazon order as my local awesome camera shop here in Seattle (Glazers, for any locals) gave me the first preorder--I called them this morning before they'd even had the chance to talk with their purchasing rep! They just took down my information and deposit so I'll be getting it the day they get the shipment in.

I'm excited.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I need some camera advice and as I've always been a Nikon fanboy I thought I'd post here. About 5-6 years ago I bought a Nikon D90 that has gotten a lot of use over the years. In the last two years or so I have stopped using it as much because the Tamron 17-50 lens I use is a slow piece of poo poo that never fails to freeze at the worst possible moment causing me to miss what would have been a great shot. It's frustrating enough that I pretty much only use my phone to take photos these days as the sacrifice in quality is worth not having to deal with that loving Tamron lens. (I do have a couple of prime lenses as well but the Tamron is my only zoom.)

That being said, I'm going on a few holidays this year and I also have a new puppy in my life so the desire to be able to take good photos is getting stronger. I was wondering what the gooncensus is on whether I should buy some new lenses for the D90, upgrade entirely to a newer model DSLR or go full retard and switch to a mirrorless camera? I've looked at a few camera round-up / review articles and something like the Lumix LX100 looks appealing but I'm not sure what the pros and cons of a mirrorless vs a DSLR are other than the obvious size and ability to switch lenses on a DSLR.

My main uses for my camera are taking photos of my dog, holiday photos, low-light nighttime stuff like fireworks and taking head shots / glamour shots for my wife and her friends when they need them.

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

cyberia posted:

I need some camera advice and as I've always been a Nikon fanboy I thought I'd post here. About 5-6 years ago I bought a Nikon D90 that has gotten a lot of use over the years. In the last two years or so I have stopped using it as much because the Tamron 17-50 lens I use is a slow piece of poo poo that never fails to freeze at the worst possible moment causing me to miss what would have been a great shot. It's frustrating enough that I pretty much only use my phone to take photos these days as the sacrifice in quality is worth not having to deal with that loving Tamron lens. (I do have a couple of prime lenses as well but the Tamron is my only zoom.)

That being said, I'm going on a few holidays this year and I also have a new puppy in my life so the desire to be able to take good photos is getting stronger. I was wondering what the gooncensus is on whether I should buy some new lenses for the D90, upgrade entirely to a newer model DSLR or go full retard and switch to a mirrorless camera? I've looked at a few camera round-up / review articles and something like the Lumix LX100 looks appealing but I'm not sure what the pros and cons of a mirrorless vs a DSLR are other than the obvious size and ability to switch lenses on a DSLR.

My main uses for my camera are taking photos of my dog, holiday photos, low-light nighttime stuff like fireworks and taking head shots / glamour shots for my wife and her friends when they need them.

What do you mean your lens freezes? That doesn't make any sense.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
He probably means the AF gets stuck.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

RangerScum posted:

What do you mean your lens freezes? That doesn't make any sense.

While the lens is focusing it 'freezes' for want of a better word and when I press the shutter button nothing happens and no photo is taken. I normally have to focus away from the subject then focus back on the subject to get the lens working again and after a period of shooting the lens will eventually refuse to focus on anything at all and when I half-press the shutter button to obtain focus I can hear the motor whirring but there's no actual movement of the lens.

I don't know if it's an issue from the lens or the camera itself but it drives me insane and I normally just resign myself to using a prime lens if I need to use my DSLR for something. Given that both the camera and the lens are five or so years old I figured they're probably due for an upgrade regardless of which item is causing the issue.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I had an issue like that when the AF motor in one of my lenses started failing. By default, NIkon cameras are set so that they'll only take a picture once the AF confirms, so the camera is probably just refusing to snap a photo when your lens craps out on you.

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People
I like to do low light stuff and portraits, should I go broke and buy the D750 and a lens or two, or buy either the 7100 or the 7200 and more glass?

Currently I own a D5100, the 18-55 kit lens, the 35 1.8 and the 50 1.4. I would probably sell everything but the 50 1.4 (or maybe the 50 1.4 as well and get the 1.8).

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy
Going broke is rarely a good idea, so I wouldn't recommend it. List a things the D750 can do that the 7100 or 7200 can't and we can go from there.

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch
Aug 8, 2005

Obamunist Troll Bot: Built to bring a One World Government to the People
My thought was that it would be nice to switch over to FX, but fair enough, what about the D7xxx then? What's attracting me is the better autofocus in low-light. Does the -3EV or the new sensor(I think?) make enough of a difference to pay almost twice as much for the D7200 over the D7100?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Dr.Mrs.The Monarch posted:

My thought was that it would be nice to switch over to FX, but fair enough, what about the D7xxx then? What's attracting me is the better autofocus in low-light. Does the -3EV or the new sensor(I think?) make enough of a difference to pay almost twice as much for the D7200 over the D7100?

That really depends on what kind of shooting you do.

As above, I have a D7200 preordered (I was going to buy a used D7100 this month had they not announced it). I need the low-light focusing and the better low-light performance because I shoot at long focal lengths (400-600mm) at high shutter speeds (1/1000s minimum, usually 1/2000s or better) at fairly small apertures (usually f/8 or smaller).

If you have similar needs, or if you tend to shoot in low-light social situations (bars, concerts, etc) then yes, the D7200 is probably worth it for you.

If you don't, you'll almost certainly be fine with a D7100.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.

RangerScum posted:

Going broke is rarely a good idea, so I wouldn't recommend it. List a things the D750 can do that the 7100 or 7200 can't and we can go from there.
My sport shooting situation is pushing me into iso3200 and my D7000 is holding up quite nicely in the autofocus department. The noise in low light at low shutter speeds was crushing my IQ though, so I was thrilled when the D750 came out with its top tier AF capabilities on a FF mount.

Now for some sort of D750 successor to push it out of 'going broke' price range.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology
Good thing I came into this thread. You guys answered most of my questions about the D7100 without me even having to ask them.

I've pretty much decided to get a used D7100 plus a couple lenses as a step up from the Nex 3-N I use now. Reading about the buffer sounded like it might have been an issue, but, I've never found myself using the continuous shooting for more than a couple shots. Usually I only take about four shots in a row at most. So im guessing that it will never be an issue with me.

I read that Nikon has removed the optical low-pass filter from some of their newer models, including the D7100. Is this something that I should be concerned about or is the absence of the filter actually better. Im afraid I don't know too much about that filter to fully understand its impact on image quality.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

-CHA posted:

Good thing I came into this thread. You guys answered most of my questions about the D7100 without me even having to ask them.

I've pretty much decided to get a used D7100 plus a couple lenses as a step up from the Nex 3-N I use now. Reading about the buffer sounded like it might have been an issue, but, I've never found myself using the continuous shooting for more than a couple shots. Usually I only take about four shots in a row at most. So im guessing that it will never be an issue with me.

I read that Nikon has removed the optical low-pass filter from some of their newer models, including the D7100. Is this something that I should be concerned about or is the absence of the filter actually better. Im afraid I don't know too much about that filter to fully understand its impact on image quality.

It's generally better, but you may have increased moire in certain situations. For the average person it's an improvement though.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Probably a dumb question, but the D7200 would not have an edge over the D750 in autofocus performance, low light autofocus performance or high ISO quality right?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Legdiian posted:

Probably a dumb question, but the D7200 would not have an edge over the D750 in autofocus performance, low light autofocus performance or high ISO quality right?
It will not, no. At best it might equal the D750 in some situations, but the D750 has a much higher RGB TTL metering sensor and larger pixels (since it's got a larger sensor but the same number of pixels)

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Mar 4, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought the 7200 and 750 had the same AF sensor?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

powderific posted:

I thought the 7200 and 750 had the same AF sensor?

They have the same image processor chipset (Expeed 4) and the same Multi-CAM 3500 II DX 51-Point AF Sensor.

However, (from dpreview):

quote:

the RGB metering sensor used for TTL metering is unchanged at a resolution of 2,016 pixels. It's a shame that this number isn't higher. The recently released Canon 7D Mark II itself offers a 150,000-pixel RGB+IR metering sensor which, like Nikon's cameras with 91k-pixel sensors, has enough resolution to even detect faces and focus on them during OVF shooting. But Nikon's algorithms for 3D tracking just seem to be better (Canon's iTR in the 7D Mark II is imprecise and laggy in comparison, despite its higher resolution metering sensor), so we're fans of Nikon's subject tracking algorithms in combination with their higher resolution metering sensors.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Okay, so after reading both the Canon thread and this thread completely, I'm leaning more towards switching to Nikon. I just wanted a few last opinions.

What would you all recommend at this point? The d800 or the d750? The d800 seems to be the overall better choice, for me, but what's the verdict on their sensors? Which has better video capability/quality? Video doesn't matter THAT much to me, but I'm curious.

As for lenses, I've largely figured out the ones I'd want to eventually get on a Nikon (50mm f/1.8G or eventually the Sigma 50mm ART, 85mm f/1.8G, 105mm f/2.5m, 135mm f/2 DC and probably a fisheye at some point way down the line) but I wanted to know what the best Nikon alternatives are to Canon's 85mm f/1.2 L and 70-200mm f/2.8 L.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.

Kit Walker fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 7, 2015

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

Okay, so after reading both the Canon thread and this thread completely, I'm leaning more towards switching to Nikon. I just wanted a few last opinions.

What would you all recommend at this point? The d800 or the d750? The d800 seems to be the overall better choice, for me, but what's the verdict on their sensors? Which has better video capability/quality? Video doesn't matter THAT much to me, but I'm curious.

As for lenses, I've largely figured out the ones I'd want to eventually get on a Nikon (50mm f/1.8G or eventually the Sigma 50mm ART, 85mm f/1.8G, 105mm f/2.5m, 135mm f/2 DC and probably a fisheye at some point way down the line) but I wanted to know what the best Nikon alternatives are to Canon's 85mm f/1.2 and 70-200mm f/2.8.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks.
If the higher resolution isn't crucial to your work, I'd go with the D750. It has better autofocus performance, marginally better high ISO image quality, better video capabilities (60fps in 1080p, the "flat" image profile and less moire/aliasing), and 6fps shooting as opposed to 4fps. If none of that is very important to you, or if you do a lot of high detail landscape/studio photography, the D800 is probably the better choice and a used copy will save you a few hundred bucks over the D750.

There isn't an 85mm f/1.2 for F-mount, but there are a lot of good f/1.4 ones out there - Nikon's is the best one out there short of getting an Otus, but it's fairly expensive compared to ones that are nearly as good like the Sigma and even the cheapo Rokinon/Samyang/Bower ones perform pretty well. Nikon's 70-200mm VR II doesn't quite go toe to to with the Canon version, but Tamron's newest one is very close.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The D400 may not exist, but the D7200 does. :iamafag:

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Oh poo poo, is that out already or did you get an early copy?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Legdiian posted:

Oh poo poo, is that out already or did you get an early copy?
It's out as of today. Don't know when my shop got it in (though I suspect this morning or yesterday) but the sales embargo lifted today.

EDIT: I just realized I have no idea what I'm going to do with the RAW files until Lightroom supports the D7200, and Nikon's RAW editing software doesn't look free. Huh.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 19, 2015

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kenshin posted:

It's out as of today. Don't know when my shop got it in (though I suspect this morning or yesterday) but the sales embargo lifted today.

EDIT: I just realized I have no idea what I'm going to do with the RAW files until Lightroom supports the D7200, and Nikon's RAW editing software doesn't look free. Huh.

They can't just be concerted to dng?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Actually, looks like Nikon's Capture NX-D is free, guess I'll be using that until Adobe releases a Lightroom (or rather, Adobe Camera RAW) update.

I don't know? I've never done that before, the only DSLR I've owned until this one is the D3200 and I've always used Lightroom (well, for the first few weeks I used Photoshop Elements)

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Sweet! Now hopefully the market will get flooded with used 7100s and I can pick one up for a song. (c'mon you bastards, flood already!)

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Sweet! Now hopefully the market will get flooded with used 7100s and I can pick one up for a song. (c'mon you bastards, flood already!)

What's your definition of a song? I may be a bastard soon.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Ok so Capture NX-D is not very fun or easy to use. Can't wait until Adobe updates Lightroom to handle the D7200.

But holy loving shitballs what a huge upgrade from the D3200. :stare:

Here I made a picture with lots of 32s in honor of my old D3200, using the D7200 (with NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4 G lens):

f/3.2, 1/320s, ISO 3200

Minimal processing, just some lighting and white balance adjustments (as well as crop) as best I could figure out with this arcane Nikon software.
I know this is not a very good picture but it at least shows how drat sharp things are in crappy lighting

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Nice. I'm eagerly awaiting the flood of cheap 7100s, too. But hmmm -- that makes a 7200 seem appealing. I wonder how much I would notice the better ability to focus in lower light of the 7200.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Legdiian posted:

What's your definition of a song? I may be a bastard soon.

I'm aiming for the $500 range. Might take a while to get there but keh had the 7100 around $700 for like new and the 7000 for around $400. Since the 7200 just came out their prices haven't adjusted yet but I'm hoping it won't be too long.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Does anyone make good split image focusing screens for Nikon DSLRs? Is it really just as simple as replacing the screen to get the same effect as vintage manual focus cameras?

fake edit: Oh it looks like Nikon makes the K3, I might just get that. Has anyone used it?

real edit: Looks like you need to get the K3 screen resized for different cameras, forget that.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 20, 2015

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

BANME.sh posted:

Does anyone make good split image focusing screens for Nikon DSLRs? Is it really just as simple as replacing the screen to get the same effect as vintage manual focus cameras?

fake edit: Oh it looks like Nikon makes the K3, I might just get that. Has anyone used it?

real edit: Looks like you need to get the K3 screen resized for different cameras, forget that.

I bought one for my f100 from these guys, sites a little low quality but the screen works.

http://www.focusingscreen.com/

The other one I've heard is katzeye

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Thanks

The focusingscreen.com ones come to $92 CAD which is a bit more than I want to pay right now.

And it looks like Katzeye shut down operations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Bet you can't guess what ISO this picture is taken at. Taken in RAW but directly from camera with no modification in post-processing, exported from Capture NX-D.
This Nikon D7200 is pretty great. Can't wait to see what it does on a sunny morning.

ISO 12800, f/2.8, 1/60s (NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G)

100% center crop:

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Mar 21, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Kenshin posted:

Bet you can't guess what ISO this picture is taken at. Taken in RAW but directly from camera with no modification in post-processing, exported from Capture NX-D.
This Nikon D7200 is pretty great. Can't wait to see what it does on a sunny morning.

ISO 12800, f/2.8, 1/60s (NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G)

100% center crop:

Looks stellar but don't judge high ISO images based on well lit scenes. Test it outside at night or in a bar, where getting f/1.4 @60th is really pushing it. My old D700 looked alright at that speed in the living room but not so much in the dark.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

8th-snype posted:

Looks stellar but don't judge high ISO images based on well lit scenes. Test it outside at night or in a bar, where getting f/1.4 @60th is really pushing it. My old D700 looked alright at that speed in the living room but not so much in the dark.
True. I'm expecting good things even then, however. I just did the same shot with the lights off so the only lighting was the streetlight outside and the TV. 1/40s f/2.8 ISO 16000 and it's still surprisingly good, with more noise just starting to creep in.

ISO 16000 on this thing is better than ISO 6400 on my D3200.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Kenshin posted:

True. I'm expecting good things even then, however. I just did the same shot with the lights off so the only lighting was the streetlight outside and the TV. 1/40s f/2.8 ISO 16000 and it's still surprisingly good, with more noise just starting to creep in.

ISO 16000 on this thing is better than ISO 6400 on my D3200.

Sensor tech is getting better all the time. A few years ago I would have told you hands down that I would never buy another crop camera. My APS-C Fuji crushes my old D700 in the same (or similar) lighting.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

8th-snype posted:

Sensor tech is getting better all the time. A few years ago I would have told you hands down that I would never buy another crop camera. My APS-C Fuji crushes my old D700 in the same (or similar) lighting.
It really is.

Real world result from the dark cloudy morning we had here in Seattle:

ISO 6400, f/7.2, 1/1000s, 500mm (Tamron 150-600mm)

Cropped to about half the frame. Somewhat noisy but enough detail to even make out the feathered edges of those white feathers. Focus is fast and very accurate, even in these lovely lighting conditions. Haven't seen it "search" yet the way the D3200 did even in far better lighting. I know it isn't fair to compare these two cameras but they're all I've used.

The more I use Capture NX-D the more I hate it. Cannot wait for Adobe to add D7200 support to Adobe Camera RAW. It's especially annoying that Windows Explorer (and Preview) can open them and Lightroom can't (due to Nikon's NEF Codec that I have installed)!

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Dammit, people, my D300 is still a perfectly good camera, stop making me think about upgrading :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

ShadeofBlue posted:

Dammit, people, my D300 is still a perfectly good camera, stop making me think about upgrading :(.

I know I look at my d7000 and feel sad about it