Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Cheez posted:

They can say otherwise because the problem probably lies somewhere with you.
Eh. Like half the people who played the game have reported having difficulties with the controls, and at that point even if the controls are good that just means you weren't able to convey them properly, to the detriment of your fanbase.

And even conveyed perfectly it just won't click for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

JFairfax posted:

put your hands up in the air, wave them like you just don't care!
Well Microsoft certainly doesn't care.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
So Microsoft is dedicating 2015 to the year of Rare! It's like a more disappointing year of Luigi. At least Luigi still has his charm.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/xbox-boss-says-2015-will-be-year-celebrate-rare

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Celebration? Seems more like a funeral march to me

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Zain posted:

So Microsoft is dedicating 2015 to the year of Rare! It's like a more disappointing year of Luigi. At least Luigi still has his charm.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/xbox-boss-says-2015-will-be-year-celebrate-rare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAUY1J8KizU

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
Update!

Vilemoon rejoins me as we take our first look into the final world of the game which gives us a car that's so bad it's faster to get out and walk. really.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 12: Terrarium of Terror Act 1 & Jiggoseum Act 3 [Youtube]/[Polsy]

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

I like that you are basically pulling out the Air Bud rule on most of these challenges.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I can't think of a single movie the Terrarium is supposed to spoof - the closest one I could come up with would be Forbidden Planet.

BTW Dex; where the heck did you get the video/audio for your channel's trailer?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 19, 2015

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Might be Bio-dome, says the guy who knows Bio-dome only as an obtuse reference in a Weird Al song.

I think you should do a bonus video where you show us exactly how bad that sailcar is. If it's worse than walking, you can't just tell about it.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Top Gun is a fun movie to drunk-watch with buddies. You do not need to be drunk to enjoy it, but social drinking is a big plus with Top Gun, especially when everyone is buzzed enough to start singing Danger Zone at random points.

I love Boggy's Terrarium outfit. :3:

Also yes, people with even a passing interest in anime needs to watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. People with no interest in anime should watch Space Dandy, and then Jojo if they want.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
I don't think its suppose to spoof any specific movie. Most of the levels have been vague spoofs of various old TV shows. This one looks like its specifically spoofing retro scifi in general.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

RIP Vilemoon, kidnapped by the CIA and tortured in Guantanamo.

I did not know that Elder Scrolls went F2P. That's what those fuckers get for scrapping the Fallout MMO.
I'm under no illusion that a FO mmo would have been super great or anything but at least it wouldn't have been generic fantasy mmo #619

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
My problem with both an Elder Scrolls and a Fallout MMO is that it cuts out a huge reason why people like me even bother playing those games recently: their sheer moddability. Same goes for Minecraft on any platform that isn't PC.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I don't think a game's modability should ever be a reason you buy a game. Like "Man I can't wait to install mods on this for me to enjoy it!" The game itself should be one you enjoy.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Zain posted:

I don't think a game's modability should ever be a reason you buy a game. Like "Man I can't wait to install mods on this for me to enjoy it!" The game itself should be one you enjoy.

Yeah, I agree. You're basically paying money for free content at that point. Now, that said, there's nothing wrong with mods if you think they're fun, but if the mods are the primary draw of a game for you, you're better off finding a game that already offers what you're modding the first game for.

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Yeah, I agree. You're basically paying money for free content at that point. Now, that said, there's nothing wrong with mods if you think they're fun, but if the mods are the primary draw of a game for you, you're better off finding a game that already offers what you're modding the first game for.

How many triple-A games where you play a hermaphrodite lizardess who shits gold nuggets to destabalise the economy in lovingly rendered poser model detail do you know of?

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
None yet but I'm filing that idea away for later.

Seriously though, Zain's right, if you're buying a game just to mod it into oblivion, you should probably reexamine why you're buying the game; if for no other reason than that AAA games these days cost way too much to not critically examine that kind of purchase.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

DeliciousCookie posted:

I don't think its suppose to spoof any specific movie. Most of the levels have been vague spoofs of various old TV shows. This one looks like its specifically spoofing retro scifi in general.

I'd assume the science fiction horror genre from the level name, font used, and background music.

Gearface
Feb 25, 2013
As someone who bought Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Project M, Just Cause 2 for the multiplayer mod, Crysis Warhead for MechWarrior, a source license for Black Mesa, Baulder's Gate 2 for the Big World Project, Warcraft 3 for DotA, and XCOM for the Long War mod, I'd say I fall pretty solidly on the side of "it doesn't matter what you bought a game".

Some games are platforms - whatever's fun, right?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Gearface posted:

As someone who bought Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Project M, Just Cause 2 for the multiplayer mod, Crysis Warhead for MechWarrior, a source license for Black Mesa, Baulder's Gate 2 for the Big World Project, Warcraft 3 for DotA, and XCOM for the Long War mod, I'd say I fall pretty solidly on the side of "it doesn't matter what you bought a game".

Some games are platforms - whatever's fun, right?

Also Starcraft, Warcraft 3, and Starcraft 2 for custom maps. I've easily put in fifty times more time on custom maps than the normal game.

Vateke
Jun 29, 2010
I actually think there's more quality content in Minecraft mods than in Minecraft.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I love how disdainful Dex is of these challenges now. Not even remotely trying to beat them the way the devs must have intended.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I can't help but think that there was some kind of limited part selection, beyond the terrible LOG's choice vehicle stuff, that was cut for being too much work or just flat out impossible to beat.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSBMgJ-kpjA

http://rare.co.uk/news/conker-takes-a-trip-to-project-spark

http://forums.projectspark.com/yaf_postst122435.aspx
It's nice to see Conker in some way

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
When I saw the hurdle race my very first thought was "It sure would be funny if you could just fly over them, but I bet it's a logs choice vehicle to prevent that sort of thing" and then I found out how much they didn't care and neither did Dex so now its fly through the hoops time. This game is so bad and you are giving it the respect it deserves.

Total confession I owned this game not because I was a Banjo fan but because I had a friend who loved to build horrible game breaking things in games (e.g Kineticos). When we learned you couldn't drive the vehicles everywhere and that you had to play with lovely vehicles to unlock parts to make fun vehicles we just said gently caress it and never played it again.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
There's only five levels in this game and none of them have half the charm or cohesiveness that any of the ones in Kazooie or Tooie did. Aside from Banjoland they're all lame parodies of things that aren't really funny.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
By the way, here's the Jojo thing that was mentioned in the video, you might have to refresh to get the full thing because Youtube is weird. That show has some great Engrish, holy poo poo HORRY SHET!!!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

A lot of people defend this game saying that the vehicle customization is great, and in all fairness the vehicle customization is indeed great. Even if you judge this game in a cultural bubble though, and ignore the fact that it's a Banjo game, it's still really flawed. Most of these missions are just boring, and just scream :effort: And the environments themselves have mediocre design and layouts. They made a good customization system but didn't build a very good game around that system

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The only level I've really liked the design for thus far is Logbox, and I only like the design concept for that because it would have made a great normal Banjo level.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Logbox looks frustrating as hell to traverse.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Red Suit posted:

Logbox looks frustrating as hell to traverse.

It is. Terrarium's worse because there's just tons of poo poo in the way, even when you're flying.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

ManlyGrunting posted:

By the way, here's the Jojo thing that was mentioned in the video, you might have to refresh to get the full thing because Youtube is weird. That show has some great Engrish, holy poo poo HORRY SHET!!!

And now we know how Jotaro can defeat the man who turns people's souls into coins!

e: Rrrrrrrrrrrrrraise!?!?!?

Neruz fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 21, 2015

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Just thought I'd chime in to thank you for the LP. I did exactly the same thing with the hurdles challenge, I suspect everyone did on their first play :)

Also Terrarium of Terror's intro is a fairly blatant parody of Lost In Space's intro, specifically season 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp1bEpmmGMs

Personally I mostly enjoyed the game in a 'dick around with building poo poo' fashion and occasionally seeing how much I could cheese some of the challenges. Never finished it though (got frustrated with the last challenge in Terrarium and stopped there).

I think my favourite vehicle was the catapult I built for Jinjo hurling using detachers as a hinge and some springs underneath a large tray. Wasn't particularly efficient but it was fun.

Also built a stompy mech using an arrangement of jets on the feet and more detachers for joints. It was terrible for anything other than walking slowly around the test track...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If you talk to Jolly Dodger in Showdown Town, he tells you he changed his name to avoid the fuzz because he's selling black market jiggies.

Edit: Also he looks like a purple Onceler.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 26, 2015

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species
Still enjoying this LP.

Info in case it hasn't been mentioned before in this thread:

I only discovered towards the end of my playthrough of this game that you could actually download and then watch the replays of all the runs on the leaderboard. And if you watch some of the top runs some of them are fairly ridiculous. Might be fun to see some notable ones.

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.
Update!

How to increase the difficulty of your game: instead of making the challenges harder, just give the player increasingly worse tools to complete them.

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts Part 13: Jiggoseum Act 4 & Terrarium of Terror Act 2 [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Poor Dex :( BE STRONG, LIL BUDDY

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
Oh right, "Germ Warfare" is the really bullshit one where people just gave up, jumped out of the vehicle, and then modified the piece of poo poo's jet to be on the bottom so that they can move up and down faster. You got really lucky there, and I don't envy anyone trying to beat that mission fairly.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
I think I can tell how the Saucer of Peril is worse here (having played the game to death as a kid- got 650 points exactly once and have yet to even break 600 since): in the N64 version the cursor defaulted to center so if you let go it would return to the center of the screen; so if you want to aim at the bottom left of the screen you just put the controller bottom left, position being irrelevant. Whereas here I can tell by the way the cursor moves in the Nuts and Bolts version that the control stick just moves the cursor: if you're at the bottom of the screen and put the control stick slightly right it will go to the right of where the cursor is instead of right of the center of the screen. This means that you can't move the cursor across the screen quickly without making it super twitchy, so as a result it's much slower and doesn't feel quite right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
I loved the part where you told your first experience with the game, and as if in sympathy, your vehicle was falling apart piece by piece alongside your hopes and dreams for the game.

• Locked thread