Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Bumblefuck! posted:

Well, bad news; the most recent rumors of a remake were that it is to be directed by Tim Burton and star Johnny Depp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

MizPiz posted:

To be fair, that applies to pretty much every cartoon based on a popular movie during the late 90s and early 00s.
That just reminds me that there was a cartoon for the movie Evolution, anyone remember that movie? That was a fun little movie.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

achillesforever6 posted:

That just reminds me that there was a cartoon for the movie Evolution, anyone remember that movie? That was a fun little movie.

I remember that movie. Country Mac was in it.

I remember it being pretty blah.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

FredMSloniker posted:

And nearly every cartoon from the 80s. God some of them had gorgeous title animations. Too bad they spent the entire budget on them.

Thundercats is a prime example.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This gif is annoyingly poorly done.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ghostlight posted:

This gif is annoyingly poorly done.

Probably not better? Re-recorded with more frames.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I meant more the lack of dead zone, considering only the center of it is actually in movement. Sorry I didn't meant that personally. I really like the gif, I just want to optimize it and importing it into Photoshop to do it myself doubles the tiny movement of the camera and the whole thing becomes a jiggly mess for some reason.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Count Roland posted:

I would have been happy if most of the movie was these sort of scenes. Basically everything else sucked bad.

Disagree. The robot was pretty cool too, could have more of it running around.

Everything else though yeah.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Our cultures have so much to share. :stwoon:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Sire Oblivion posted:

Thundercats is a prime example.

Rewatching some of this as an adult really did destroy some of my childhood memories. I remember it being the most exciting action packed thing imaginable, and it just doesn't work at all through grown-up eyes. Same with Transformers, sadly. G.I. Joe, on the other hand, loops all the way back around to awesome though due to campiness and barely concealed homoeroticism.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Oh god dad please no m(

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

There's been multiple movies where someone tried to use a helicopter to mow down the protagonist. Wouldn't having the blades chop someone up while still airborne pretty much crash the chopper?

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

There's been multiple movies where someone tried to use a helicopter to mow down the protagonist. Wouldn't having the blades chop someone up while still airborne pretty much crash the chopper?

Depends on how thick the rotor blades are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAdpKpppZiA

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
https://youtu.be/DyL5mAqFJds?t=1m24s

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veedubfreak posted:

Check out The Twilight Zone! :v:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

veedubfreak posted:

Ask Dorcey Wingo about that.

Edit: ^^ Yep.

Edit 2: ^^ * 2

Centripetal Horse has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Mar 19, 2015

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Basticle has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Mar 20, 2015

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

Check out The Twilight Zone! :v:

that's hosed up bro

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

I assume you're talking about the tilt of the rotor disc required to get the tips near the ground, in which case, yes. The helicopter would either be plowing into the ground or (if given enough collective) accelerating forward fairly quickly. This is how helicopters accelerate in any direction, by tilting the rotor disc. A prime example is some James Bond movie with Michelle Yeoh, I'd find it but phoneposting atm. Tomorrow Never Dies.

A helicopter cannot do this without accelerating forward:

http://youtu.be/u0N4nuBY2a4

uwaeve has a new favorite as of 00:23 on Mar 20, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

MizPiz posted:

To be fair, that applies to pretty much every cartoon based on a popular movie during the late 90s and early 00s.

The Starship Trooper shows looks like rear end but it's better than any of the other sequels they put out.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Chard posted:

that's hosed up bro

"I can hold this note all day, buddy."

edit: got bored made an icon for Gooncam.

ryonguy has a new favorite as of 01:07 on Mar 20, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Chard posted:

that's hosed up bro

Come on, it's not like the scene... made the cut!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

Come on, it's not like the scene... made the cut!

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax5scn5KhOY

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

The dude got away too! The cops have his bike but he's still at large. Here's the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWBDGkwRvnY
and here's the appropriate soundtrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aZSP8c05zM

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Frank, in search of the perfect waffle recipe
s03e17 @ 02:30 -- Viking Women And The Sea Serpent

Doubt I could loop this perfectly
s03e17 @ 03:15 -- Viking Women And The Sea Serpent

NOT THE CHILDREN!
s03e20 @ 03:00 -- The Unearthly

s03e18 @ 23:00 -- Star Force (Fugitive Alien 2)

Gypsy, no!
s03e20 @ 27:00 -- The Unearthly

s03e21 @ 1:36:00 -- Santa Claus Conquers The Martians

Jobbo_Fett has a new favorite as of 12:33 on May 3, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

uwaeve posted:

I assume you're talking about the tilt of the rotor disc required to get the tips near the ground, in which case, yes. The helicopter would either be plowing into the ground or (if given enough collective) accelerating forward fairly quickly. This is how helicopters accelerate in any direction, by tilting the rotor disc. A prime example is some James Bond movie with Michelle Yeoh, I'd find it but phoneposting atm. Tomorrow Never Dies.

A helicopter cannot do this without accelerating forward:

http://youtu.be/u0N4nuBY2a4

:haw:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

M'Owl.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Gypsy, no!

Ha, I just watched this one the other day. (I wish more of these episodes would make it on DVD/Netflix/something you can buy digitally. The VHS rip of it is pretty poor quality.)

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

From here.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

IUG posted:

Ha, I just watched this one the other day. (I wish more of these episodes would make it on DVD/Netflix/something you can buy digitally. The VHS rip of it is pretty poor quality.)

ShoutFactoryTV has a bunch of episodes up. They even have a channel on Roku, if you've got one of thems.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

IUG posted:

I'll have to get the link from home, but some legit site is offering all episodes, unlimited streaming online for a one-time fee (like $300?). I think it covers anything that has not been released on DVD yet as well. Not sure about the original Rhino releases, so maybe a no go on Cave Dwellers, Pod People, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BaconAndBullets posted:

Depends on how thick the rotor blades are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAdpKpppZiA

It's possible this is apocryphal, but I gather that in the Vietnam war, when troops were being extracted from jungles, they would use explosives to clear the jungle for the Hueys.

If the LZ they cleared was not quite big enough, the Huey would clear the LZ by itself, using its main rotor. Not full trees, I don't think, but I definitely heard that it would do light vegetation and branches.