Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

bobkatt013 posted:

Why would it be? We have seen him do this throughout the series, so its nothing new. He hated Ollie and by extension Arrow the entire first season due to the death of Sarah, and now he has the added benefit of him lying to him.
Dumb in the sense that there's a limit to how many times how many characters can act however irrationally for the sake of drama without making people want to throw their TV screens out the window.

:cop: "You're killing people again!"
:saddowns: "Someone is trying to frame me, Captain."
:cop: "NO I DON'T tRUST YOU ANYMOOOOR"

Yes it's "in character." But as this series has shown us various times with other characters, that's not the same as it being enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

There have been a lot of archers, but I don't think there have been all that many actual copycats. I know they treated Merlyn like one initially, and obviously there's Ra's now, but beyond that I don't believe there have been any?

Cupid-Stupid and that random Archer that was a suspect for Sara's killing are the only other two named archers we've seen right?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

BrianWilly posted:

Dumb in the sense that there's a limit to how many times how many characters can act however irrationally for the sake of drama without making people want to throw their TV screens out the window.

:cop: "You're killing people again!"
:saddowns: "Someone is trying to frame me, Captain."
:cop: "NO I DON'T tRUST YOU ANYMOOOOR"

Yes it's "in character." But as this series has shown us various times with other characters, that's not the same as it being enjoyable.

I'm not entirely sure how Lance will ultimately treat the copycat, but I think he won't actually blame The Arrow for these killings. Instead this - on top of his current distaste for The Arrow - will cause him to start hunting The Arrow again, with information/prodding from Ra's himself.

E:

Xtanstic posted:

Cupid-Stupid and that random Archer that was a suspect for Sara's killing are the only other two named archers we've seen right?

On top of the two you listed, the only other named Archer I can think of offhand is Nyssa, unless you consider Maseo to be one now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

enraged_camel posted:

I'm sorry, the thought of Ra's al Ghul "proving" anything to a B-level street vigilante just makes me laugh.

Ollie: These are my conditions.
Ra's: :sigh: gently caress it, I'll just go back to leaving wistful messages on Bruce's answerphone.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So, since the Pit seemed to work pretty instantly on R'as' cut hand, should we conclude that his line about it not working on him any more is BS?

If so, what the gently caress is his angle?

The only thing I can think of is that he wants to recruit Oliver and making him turn back into a killer is a necessary part of that.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Jerusalem posted:

Ollie: These are my conditions.
Ra's: :sigh: gently caress it, I'll just go back to leaving wistful messages on Bruce's answerphone.

Of all the billionaires-turned-vigilante Ra's had to fall for, it had to be Bruce Wayne. *sigh*

(Seriously, what is it about billionaires in comics? Dudes love dressing up as stuff and hurting criminals.)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

evenworse username posted:

So, since the Pit seemed to work pretty instantly on R'as' cut hand, should we conclude that his line about it not working on him any more is BS?

The only thing I can think of is that he wants to recruit Oliver and making him turn back into a killer is a necessary part of that.
I think his exact line was that it was working on him less as time goes by.

Which is vaguely true to the comics, where the Pits can only bring someone back once before you have to go and find a new Pit somewhere in the world. Presumably, Ollie couldn't use Ra's current Pit either if he took the role.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Eh, it seems like in this show, there is the one pit. It's also the fountain of youth, and several similar things. How they're all in one place, and why Nanda Parbat are kinda not addressed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xealot posted:

Of all the billionaires-turned-vigilante Ra's had to fall for, it had to be Bruce Wayne. *sigh*

(Seriously, what is it about billionaires in comics? Dudes love dressing up as stuff and hurting criminals.)

The comics about the billionaires who don't and just spend all day in board meetings don't sell very well.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

He was referring to the fountain's ability to keep him young.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Maybe Ra's just shouldn't have wasted all his Pit mojo on every single time Nyssa takes a sword to him which was probably every other week in their house.

I did really enjoy Nyssa attemping to speak to Laurel like a ordinary human person with ordinary human words at the end where it just made her come across like a giant awkward nerd. Then again, Laurel's dialogue also often makes her sound like some sort of alien being trying to masquerade as a human woman. It totally works out.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

You know, they did carefully show us this with a nice zoomed in lingering shot. Maybe just to show us the pit is real, but that seems like a stretch.

His angle would be as people have suggested, that this is just a ploy to get his layabout daughter to step up her game. Either that, or Oliver steps up and show's that he's a worthwhile heir too. Win-win.

(in his mind, at least, since he's not considering the idea that both possible heirs might just go "gently caress you, you dick" and turn their backs on the greatest supreme awesome leader, Ra's al Ghul)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I did really enjoy Nyssa attemping to speak to Laurel like a ordinary human person with ordinary human words at the end where it just made her come across like a giant awkward nerd.

It kind of resembled the recent Lady Sif episode in Agents of SHIELD.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Speaking of dialogue, Ollie always speaks oddly in the hood even when nobody else is around.

Like his answer to Laurel being "When it is no longer true". Nobody talks like that Ollie.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Speaking of dialogue, Ollie always speaks oddly in the hood even when nobody else is around.

Like his answer to Laurel being "When it is no longer true". Nobody talks like that Ollie.

He has a voice changer which we've seen him use before, he probably just doesn't bother turning it off just to talk to them because he doesn't care.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I feel like the action has gone really downhill. I'd rather have fewer action scenes that were more memorable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I meant his grammar.

Or he has a really advanced voice changer.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I gotta say, one thing this show does well is paint cops as hilariously weak and bad. They were basically getting massacred before the team arrived. In fact, the only cop who got a confirmed kill was Lance.

OK, I get that the bad guys have special diamond bullets or whatever. But even then, attacking a police precinct would never be that easy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

enraged_camel posted:

I gotta say, one thing this show does well is paint cops as hilariously weak and bad. They were basically getting massacred before the team arrived. In fact, the only cop who got a confirmed kill was Lance.

OK, I get that the bad guys have special diamond bullets or whatever. But even then, attacking a police precinct would never be that easy.

Did you see the episode of Flash where The Clock King took over an entire precinct pretty much single-handedly? The cops in this universe suck. Except for the ones we know who are great.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
One thing this episode reinforced is that Thea simply does not own a belly button covering shirt

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
At this point I'm pretty sure Captain Lance suffers from face blindness. Like all of the cops do it's a requirement to be on the force.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

The comics about the billionaires who don't and just spend all day in board meetings don't sell very well.

"My name is George Soros. After breaking the Bank of England, I can no longer profit from short-sell market manipulation as I once did. Because I have $26 Billion already, and that would be boring. In order to earn some more Billions, I'll just do....something...else..."

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I just discovered this show after listening to Stephen Amell talk at a panel last week about this show. I'm 1/3rd of the way through Season 1 and I'm surprisingly enjoying it. I'm really enjoying the nods to comic book continuity (Helen Bertenelli) as well as forging its own continuity. Does the show stay good? Is it worth watching?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

SalTheBard posted:

I just discovered this show after listening to Stephen Amell talk at a panel last week about this show. I'm 1/3rd of the way through Season 1 and I'm surprisingly enjoying it. I'm really enjoying the nods to comic book continuity (Helen Bertenelli) as well as forging its own continuity. Does the show stay good? Is it worth watching?

It's great until the end of Season 2. The current season is pretty lame however.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

SalTheBard posted:

Does the show stay good? Is it worth watching?

Yes (holy poo poo season two). Yes. Also watch Flash. And there's a third show coming next year. Don't listen to the guy above me.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

SalTheBard posted:

Yep, pretty much. Early season one seems to be popularly considered the weakest part. The most recent season has been a little slower, but still very enjoyable. Also, start watching Flash alongside season three. They interconnect a little.

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 20, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

SalTheBard posted:

Season 2 gets even better. Just in general it has a pattern of getting pretty good in the back third of the season.

Though, that does mean that so far Season 3 has had, let's say, mixed reactions. It'll probably be good enough that you'll enjoy it if you you're pumping & dumping it, anyway.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Don't worry Deadpool, when your show finally comes out I will say only good things about it!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

enraged_camel posted:

Don't worry Deadpool, when your show finally comes out I will say only good things about it!

Let's hope there's never a Deadpool show. I'm fine with just the one movie on that one.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Deadpool posted:

Let's hope there's never a Deadpool show. I'm fine with just the one movie on that one.

What? Why???

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I meant his grammar.

Or he has a really advanced voice changer.

We all speak and act differently depending on context. Oliver probably has a mindset that when he's in costume he's 'working' so he acts a certain way, hence the wording.

BrianWilly posted:

Maybe Ra's just shouldn't have wasted all his Pit mojo on every single time Nyssa takes a sword to him which was probably every other week in their house.

I did really enjoy Nyssa attemping to speak to Laurel like a ordinary human person with ordinary human words at the end where it just made her come across like a giant awkward nerd. Then again, Laurel's dialogue also often makes her sound like some sort of alien being trying to masquerade as a human woman. It totally works out.

I think it also added to the quasi-romantic vibe the scene had. It did come across a little like Nyssa hitting on Laurel, which is fine, considering Katrina Law and Katie Cassidy seem to have more chemistry than Cassidy and Amell at this point.

I hope Nyssa continues to be a total dork that doesn't understand normal interaction: "Um, you are very attractive, much like your sister, and I would enjoy kissing you!"

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Xtanstic posted:

His name is Komodo and he's Ollie's big new villain in Nu-52.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Aphrodite posted:

I'm pretty sure he said "when you no longer need training."

And the shot of Ra's' hand being fixed by the Pit was just to show the healing properties of the water. If Ra's was the lying, we would know, this show isn't subtle.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Gaz-L posted:

I think it also added to the quasi-romantic vibe the scene had. It did come across a little like Nyssa hitting on Laurel, which is fine, considering Katrina Law and Katie Cassidy seem to have more chemistry than Cassidy and Amell at this point.

I got that sense, too.

I bet they'll actually go there. Not necessarily that Laurel will reciprocate, but that Nyssa might go for it. "I see so much of Sara in you. So much..."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

JohnSherman posted:

I'm pretty sure he said "when you no longer need training."

Whatever he said, it was weird.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

OB_Juan posted:

Yep, pretty much. Early season one seems to be popularly considered the weakest part. The most recent season has been a little slower, but still very enjoyable. Also, start watching Flash alongside season three. They interconnect a little.

I'm not really wild about the "Villain of the Week" episodes but I imagine it changes a little as it goes on.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Aphrodite posted:

Whatever he said, it was weird.

Nah, I kind of liked the exchange.

-"You still need training"
"When are you going to stop saying that?"
-"When you no longer need training" :smuggo:

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was kind of disappointed the pit was just... like a hot tub. I always thought it would be some bubbling green glowing poo poo at the bottom of an ancient well you had to scale down or something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

Nah, I kind of liked the exchange.

-"You still need training"
"When are you going to stop saying that?"
-"When you no longer need training" :smuggo:

It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Crappy poetry/rap if you're rhyming with the same word. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

I was kind of disappointed the pit was just... like a hot tub. I always thought it would be some bubbling green glowing poo poo at the bottom of an ancient well you had to scale down or something.

It was, then they said "Ya know, lets built a hot tub and a whole fortress around this poo poo since Ra's uses that poo poo like once a month now."

• Locked thread