Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Logikv9 posted:

Cruise ship tours bring disaster tourists to survey the ruins. Capitalism never ends.

This actually looks amazing with the ruins all underwater - it'd be a fun map to start on - after the apocalypse. Do those buildings despawn or do they stay there?

Man I'm just thinking a bunch of ancient ruins would make awesome parks and I bet there's some intrepid artists out there making a bunch already.

Actually serious question if I make a map with a building in it that came from someone else's mod does anyone downloading the map get the building or would they need the mod as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ihmemies posted:

Someone made a better football field! The first one was kind of tacky.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409641585

Looks like a soccer field, in my opinion

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Tambaloneus posted:

This actually looks amazing with the ruins all underwater - it'd be a fun map to start on - after the apocalypse. Do those buildings despawn or do they stay there?

Man I'm just thinking a bunch of ancient ruins would make awesome parks and I bet there's some intrepid artists out there making a bunch already.

Actually serious question if I make a map with a building in it that came from someone else's mod does anyone downloading the map get the building or would they need the mod as well?

The building appears to be packaged in the .crp, so they get it I think.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Have the devs mentioned anything about custom thumbnails for modded ploppables? One reason I have held off on downloading too many is because I don't want my menus spammed with identical blue cube stacks.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

ToastyPotato posted:

Have the devs mentioned anything about custom thumbnails for modded ploppables? One reason I have held off on downloading too many is because I don't want my menus spammed with identical blue cube stacks.

All my building mods have thumbnails. There's a way to do it but I forget (it auto-makes them for uniques apparently but beyond that—don't remember).

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Tambaloneus posted:

They stay there forever. They are all technically abandoned, so as long as you don't have the auto demolish mod (or have it turned off), they will never go away.

I was toying with the idea of starting a post-apocalyptic map (as you said), and slowly redamming and redraining the area to recover lost ruins. Unfortunately, as soon as the land becomes non-flooded again the buildings auto-rebuild :smith: I suppose you could simply dezone them beforehand, though...

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Logikv9 posted:

They stay there forever. They are all technically abandoned, so as long as you don't have the auto demolish mod (or have it turned off), they will never go away.

I was toying with the idea of starting a post-apocalyptic map (as you said), and slowly redamming and redraining the area to recover lost ruins. Unfortunately, as soon as the land becomes non-flooded again the buildings auto-rebuild :smith: I suppose you could simply dezone them beforehand, though...

Dezoning typically causes the buildings to poof out of existence though. I dunno if abandoned buildings behave any differently in this case.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

simosimo posted:

Already there! I'mma punch a poo dam.

Gonna give 3DS a try. Just wanna texture a vending machine

Hop on IRC, I'll give you a crash course in UV unwrapping.

irc.synirc.net #skylines

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I just lost a couple hours worth of building rail network and growing my city by about 10k because the game soft-locked (time was stopped, UI technically responsive but nothing would actually happen) and refused to save my city, nor did autosave seem to work (it was severely out of date). No idea what caused it, either. RIP Shoudoshima/Japanifornia. :eng99:

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
It's some kind of land boat.

https://gfycat.com/ObviousLightheartedChrysomelid

Unkempt fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 19, 2015

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the best way to monitor pedestrian traffic?

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

OwlFancier posted:

Well, possibly bigger capital investments on new generation facilities in general leading to a conservative approach favoring the maintenence of existing facilities with their existing support infrastructure might have something to do with it.

Renewable energy is good but also more expensive, especially in up front costs.

If you were to model this in game, it would be giving all power plants a very hefty up front cost, but allowing you to tap into the national grid by connecting your power lines to a set running along the highway, and paying a generally low, but fluctuating rate for your power.

Introduce things like supply issues and outages that you can't do anything about, as well as a creeping price rise reflecting international green energy agreements pushing against coal power, and possibly reducing stockpiles of it, and running off the grid may be cheaper initially, but providing your own backup power may be prudent. Bonus points if you can sell the power back to the grid if you have excess.

I'd love to see an expansion that developed weather, power and water systems on par with traffic in complexity.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Every ship captain in this game is a drunk Italian.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

Carnival is at it again

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Mar 31, 2022

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Freakus posted:

Wind is $10/MW. Solar is something like $7.5/MW. The real question is: why would you build coal, oil, or nuclear plants?

Those numbers seem... like they didn't balance them right. Renewables should cost more. It even says in the description.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Chewbot posted:

Last lookup table for a while, I think. This one's called Verdant, works best in Boreal maps but looks pretty good on Temperate too. I was going for lush green trees/grass and bright sunlight without blowing out any highlights.

I'm gonna upload this and the winter lut to workshop now.

Did you ever upload these and/or set them to public?

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

rt4 posted:

What's the best way to monitor pedestrian traffic?

I think eyeballs are the only way. I'm also pretty certain that there is no concept of 'congestion' or 'queueing' in the game for pedestrians, they just clip through each other. I know this because my central train station has a mass of humanity at the bus stop outside it that must surely be only a few people short of reaching the density threshold for forming a black hole.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Is there some trick to the airport that I'm missing? I plopped it down, hooked it up to the usual services, ran metro and bus routes out to it, but it's been several years and not a single plane has come in or out. For $4800 a year I'd like at least some passengers.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Mr. Peepers posted:

Is there some trick to the airport that I'm missing? I plopped it down, hooked it up to the usual services, ran metro and bus routes out to it, but it's been several years and not a single plane has come in or out. For $4800 a year I'd like at least some passengers.

Is it powered and watered?

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008
That is awesome! The water in this game seems pretty well done so watching that flood must have been quite a treat haha.

On another note, I found some kind of firefighting guitar instrument. drat traffic lights!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

give me thread posted:

That is awesome! The water in this game seems pretty well done so watching that flood must have been quite a treat haha.

On another note, I found some kind of firefighting guitar instrument. drat traffic lights!

How about round the corner, through a house and down the hill. Its like those pictures of luxury cars parked in front of fire hydrants with the hose ran through but with a house.

I was too busy laughing to take a screenshot on his return trip when he walked across and floated down from the roof of the shack at the bottom of the hill on the corner.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

You just convinced me to buy this game. I had been inclined to wait by reviews saying there weren't any disasters.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away
So this is from the reddit, but I thought some people here might like this.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410196151

Looks amazing IMO

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Still not sure how I feel about essentially running a communist's worst nightmare - a city that is making great strides in completely wiping out the proletariat simply through education. No workers of the world to unite here, they're all busy getting smart. I planned an industrial park to the west there, but it completely failed due to a massive lack of uneducated workers - the 10% that were left were all working in low-level commerce. Even setting taxes to 1% didn't help. So it all got dezoned and replaced with offices, since there is no short supply of educated workers.

There's some massive traffic jams going on in the city center (well, what will become the city center once I fill out the western part of this area) and the highway entrance to the east, but I'm just going to ignore that and hope it'll just go away. That's how politicians solve problems, right?

Cincle
Dec 28, 2003

I bought this smiley.
Just posting my new town! Tell me what you think!

Cincle fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 20, 2015

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Uh, so the update caused a plague in my city...

At least, it wasn't like that when I saved before the update.

:frogsiren:

I think this is a sign to start a new city.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Perhaps I'm just stuck in my ways of thinking from SC4 but my biggest pet peeve about this game is the fact electricity won't travel through zoned areas. It is really cumbersome and annoying to lay power lines all over the place, especially when they dezone things they're placed through. I preferred the approach of SC4- buildings could develop on top of power lines, and electricity travelled through zoned areas.

give me thread
Dec 29, 2008

zedprime posted:

How about round the corner, through a house and down the hill. Its like those pictures of luxury cars parked in front of fire hydrants with the hose ran through but with a house.

I was too busy laughing to take a screenshot on his return trip when he walked across and floated down from the roof of the shack at the bottom of the hill on the corner.
Haha holy gently caress! This game :xd:

Cincle posted:

Just posting my new town! Tell me what you think!

edit: oh breaking tables, how do I not do that?
That looks like a hella crazy cliff map. Can you post a shot of it please?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poizen Jam posted:

Perhaps I'm just stuck in my ways of thinking from SC4 but my biggest pet peeve about this game is the fact electricity won't travel through zoned areas. It is really cumbersome and annoying to lay power lines all over the place, especially when they dezone things they're placed through. I preferred the approach of SC4- buildings could develop on top of power lines, and electricity travelled through zoned areas.

Electricity works in this game the same way as SC4.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Oh my god road planning gives me palpitations. I've just been slapping whatever roads wherever because despite being a functioning human being in a first world country I have never paid attention to any city layouts ever. Intersections? Roundabouts? I've got no room at all for them in my TERRIBLY PLANNED HORROR

THIS HELLSCAPE OF ASPHALT SURE LOOKS PRETTY

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Finished my map and put it up on Workshop. Has all the major highways (including their funny interchanges, except a rotary that has to be placed in-game) and railways. Give it a shot if you like river/valley maps.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410774564

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Mar 20, 2015

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I thought in SC4 electricity traveled through undeveloped zoned areas? Whereas in S:C it travels only through developed zoned areas. I think that is what he was on about.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dante18907 posted:

I thought in SC4 electricity traveled through undeveloped zoned areas? Whereas in S:C it travels only through developed zoned areas. I think that is what he was on about.

Oh, I didn't even realize that was what he meant. Yeah, that is annoying.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Fish Fry Andy posted:

No it does not. In Sc4, if you had a contiguous group of zones between the power source/line and the source, then electricity travelled through it. The zones did not actually have to be developed for electricity to travel through it.

e:f,b

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Songbearer posted:

Oh my god road planning gives me palpitations. I've just been slapping whatever roads wherever because despite being a functioning human being in a first world country I have never paid attention to any city layouts ever. Intersections? Roundabouts? I've got no room at all for them in my TERRIBLY PLANNED HORROR

THIS HELLSCAPE OF ASPHALT SURE LOOKS PRETTY

Hey! Stop playing on my city you punk :toughguy:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Pro Tip: Rename every dog you come across because all dogs need names :3:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hey here's this thing I talked about
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410574541

it's a dumb mod to enable easier gentrification of your rich folks while preventing those peasants across town from attending.

model is just the university :effort:

Cincle
Dec 28, 2003

I bought this smiley.

give me thread posted:

That looks like a hella crazy cliff map. Can you post a shot of it please?

It's a sorta gimmicky map but I enjoy working around dumbass terrain.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=408053890&searchtext=landing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kinnas
Jan 28, 2008
The Case of Martin Heidegger, Philosopher and Nazi Part 2: The Cover-up
Some Spergin' Mod finds:

PopBalanceMod - Dicks around with building populations. You want this if you think it's silly a skyscrapes has like 10 people living in it.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410344523

Control Building Level Up v0.2 - Essentially "Make Historical", you can cap building levels if you want to do stuff like have a slummy district.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410535198

Slow Trash Production - What it says on the tin. Slows Trash Production by half. Less obnoxious garbagetruck congolines.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409179277

Slow Citizen Aging - Slows down citizen aging to 1/4 speed so that they live for 20-24 game years.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409070218

Slow Speed - Agents move at a more reasonable pace.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406951430