Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I have Red7, it's a gorgeous minimalist design. The color palette is really pretty. I guess this game shares the same graphic designer (with consent! :v:) .

Speaking of, they are playtesting a new edition of the rules with some minor tweaks to the actions for the 1 and 7 cards:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1338089/red7-rules-v12

We'll probably play a few hands with these rules this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I have a quick Sheriff of Nottingham question. We played this game for the first time last weekend. Overall it was fun, but we think we may have been playing wrong. The game comes with significantly more money then we used throughout the game. Even if we traded in all of our items for the money we were still only using a small percentage. Does the money come in some other way that we were overlooking? We were discussing a rule change that would allow you to sell your items for more money for bribes during the game but as far as we could tell that isn't a standard rule. I found the instructions to be very poorly written so it's possible we missed something.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

EvilChameleon posted:

This is the best news. And $12? Why the gently caress would I not buy it? He even found a graphic designer that isn't total garbage (I'm looking at you, Impulse).

Well, it only supports 3 players, you need two sets for more than that. But otherwise, yeah $12 is pretty awesome.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

lifts cats over head posted:

I have a quick Sheriff of Nottingham question. We played this game for the first time last weekend. Overall it was fun, but we think we may have been playing wrong. The game comes with significantly more money then we used throughout the game. Even if we traded in all of our items for the money we were still only using a small percentage. Does the money come in some other way that we were overlooking? We were discussing a rule change that would allow you to sell your items for more money for bribes during the game but as far as we could tell that isn't a standard rule. I found the instructions to be very poorly written so it's possible we missed something.

As I read the rules, it's a closed economy, and all the extra money is for scoring purposes at the end of the game.

4outof5
Nov 10, 2003

Leader of the ULT Right.
Grabbing pussy since April 2, 1994

Mylan posted:

As I read the rules, it's a closed economy, and all the extra money is for scoring purposes at the end of the game.

this is correct

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Mild slapfight with Sirlin and DXV in a flamebait thread on BGG entitled "Why are Sirlin's Games Ranked on Average Lower than Vlaada's Games?"

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1338424/why-are-sirlins-games-ranked-average-lower-vlaadas/page/1

If Vlaada makes an appearance this will be a masterstroke in trolling.

I kind of feel bad for Sirlin because even though he seems goony I don't see why people give a poo poo that he made chips that resemble something some random person posted on the internet for their own use. I assume Sirlin hasn't become some millionaire off this guy's idea. It's another game for everyone to play or not play, jeesh.

Hahaholy poo poo, did he give the top guy any credit? This is fuckin ridiculous

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

The worst submarine posted:

Hahaholy poo poo, did he give the top guy any credit? This is fuckin ridiculous

Wow. He could have at least changed the ribbon.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Stop the presses somebody is iterating on good ideas, guess we should just go back to Catan since it was first.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dirk the Average posted:

Wow. He could have at least changed the ribbon.

He changed the font and the icon, what the hell more do you want? (Apart from original thought and not being a loving douchebag.)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Crackbone posted:

Stop the presses somebody is iterating on good ideas, guess we should just go back to Catan since it was first.

Iteration or shameless rip off with no actual work?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

How different is the game from Dominion in terms of actual rules?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

It's different enough that they're different games.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lord Frisk posted:

Iteration or shameless rip off with no actual work?

Iteration. Definitely iteration. Play Puzzle Strike, it's actually pretty good.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Puzzle Strike has some good unique things but it's hilarious that he copied this dude because 1) its so obvious and 2) the game would've been better with cards instead anyway

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Crackbone posted:

Lol dude at the very least he blatantly ripped off the graphic design. As if the only way to have titles on a chip is on a banner in one of those specific shades. Or the only way to represent "+ action" or "+ cards" is with an arrow or chip icon like the first guy used. Like gently caress it is supposed to be fighting game right? Couldn't the action icon be like a fist or something? I came up with this alternate design in 40 seconds.

Also iterating on good ideas is cool but at the very least contact the dude ahead of time and say "hey this looks cool mind if I turn this into another game?" or pay him for the design or something

StashAugustine posted:

The core "deck building" rules are remarkably similar although with the whole chip pool (or whatever the hell the stack of chips is called I haven't played it in a long rear end time) and the circular attacking it plays drastically differently. Like I think he actually is one of the few who took Dominion and made it into something pretty significantly different, especially in relation to other games that came out in a similar time frame. I don't have any beef with him "copying" Dominion, it's a much different game

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Crackbone posted:

I think there is design space for font changes and different icons, maybe even slightly different flourishes in banners, along with credits sections in rule books.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

Sirlin is simply iterating on good design for poker chip based deck building games, such as seen in several other popular poker chip based deck building games

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I was mostly talking about his shameless art theft

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Crackbone posted:

Puzzle Strike has some really cool ideas. It's definitely its own game.

The graphic design being almost identical is the issue. There are so many things that could have been varied to make this a non-issue that it's silly that no effort was made to do so.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
As much as Sirlin is a bit douchey, his replies in the thread were at least earnest. But holy poo poo that DXV reply.

"I wasn't being aggressive. In fact, I'm quite certain I was being cheerful because I'm always amused by being rude to others. Also, my creation is a wonderful gift to game designers. Sad that none of them are good enough to deserve such a great gift."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Jimbozig posted:

As much as Sirlin is a bit douchey, his replies in the thread were at least earnest. But holy poo poo that DXV reply.

"I wasn't being aggressive. In fact, I'm quite certain I was being cheerful because I'm always amused by being rude to others. Also, my creation is a wonderful gift to game designers. Sad that none of them are good enough to deserve such a great gift."

tbh that last statement has been proved true by every deckbuilder except three or four

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Lord Frisk posted:

I was mostly talking about his shameless art theft

oh yeah no he definitely nicked the graphic design wholesale, gameplay's good though!

Jimbozig posted:

The Kanye West of the board gaming world.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jimbozig posted:

"Also, my creation is a wonderful gift to game designers. Sad that none of them are good enough to deserve such a great gift."

DXV has a super weird way of speaking but he is actually pretty humble about Dominion. One thing he repeatedly says is "two guys thought of calculus", and that just because he happened to think of deck building first doesn't mean it wouldn't have been created eventually.

He also almost without fail will mention a deckbuilding game that he would like to try along with that line (usually Mage Knight but he has also mentioned a Few Acres of Snow and maybe others). He is mostly ragging on poo poo like Tanto Cuore and clones with that line, the stuff that is just a blatant ripoff.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Space Alert is ridiculously awesome, as most people in this thread probably already know. loving play that game if you haven't already.

One question, are interceptors generally worth using? Considering their short range and the fact that the player piloting them has to as to spend a turn doing nothing to return to the ship, it seems better for a player to spend their actions doing other things.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Speaking of Dominion, lately we've been playing games with Colony, but no Platinum. With a low-to-moderate-power kingdom set, I really like how this plays out; mostly I like how it increases the range of viable strategies (ie. you can go afford to get rolling a bit slower when you have the chance to catch up with Colonies - but there's still 3 pile and Province based potential decks). Platinums+Colonies, in comparison, doesn't feel as different; it's fine, but it kind of feels like you haven't changed much overall (Colonies just feel like Provinces) and often the end game seems bland; as you hit higher coin levels, it seems like too often there's not enough real options (and too often Platinum just seems like the right choice).

But I'm also not a great Dominion player (almost all my play has been real-life, so I haven't logged the hundreds of games I know some here have), and I'm guessing I'm not seeing the picture clearly. Any thoughts on what I might be missing, or what mistakes I might be making in setup?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Space Alert is ridiculously awesome, as most people in this thread probably already know. loving play that game if you haven't already.

One question, are interceptors generally worth using? Considering their short range and the fact that the player piloting them has to as to spend a turn doing nothing to return to the ship, it seems better for a player to spend their actions doing other things.

Interceptors are very situational. They're neither a staple you want to use regularly like one of the ship's main lasers, nor something you're absolutely forced to use like attacking intruders with battlebots. Since most of the things you can do on the ship fall into one of those two categories, interceptors are sort of automatically left as one of the least used options.

That being said, they output 3 damage and stack with everything else. The main/side laser cannons might be better, but you can't fire each of them more than once per turn; we've definitely won games by the skin of our teeth because the interceptor was the only thing that could give the last bit of damage needed to finish off a threat before it could reach Z. If you've been using the pulse cannon at all, they're sort of like that -- often not useful, but very strong in the right situation.

Jimbozig posted:

:drat:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

It's pretty good for cleaning up threats that you might have missed earlier, since it does 3 damage (more than a small laser shot!) to whatever column is relevant. The big downside is that by the time a threat is in interceptor range is probably hit its Xs and Ys already, so if you're relying on interceptor damage (instead of using it as a just-in-case thing) you basically need to be keeping your shields up.

The action efficiency isn't actually that bad (assuming you need the battlebots activated anyway) - firing the big guns also requires a "wasted" action by someone to recharge the appropriate reactor.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

lmao

tbf 90% of deckbuilders are just worse clones of dominion so i actually see where he's coming from on that one

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What's the gooncensus on Temporum? Will it get there with more expansions?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Guy A. Person posted:

DXV has a super weird way of speaking but he is actually pretty humble about Dominion. One thing he repeatedly says is "two guys thought of calculus", and that just because he happened to think of deck building first doesn't mean it wouldn't have been created eventually.

Another thing he repeatedly says is "I know there are people who don't like Dominion. It didn't win Game of the Year in Austria. "

:drat:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I hadn't heard about the "Puzzle Strike being wholesale stolen" thing. At least now I know to not buy Sirlin games because gently caress that poo poo.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

It's not wholesale stolen. Just some graphic elements. They were totally stolen.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Frisk posted:

It's not wholesale stolen. Just some graphic elements. They were totally stolen.

He also used the concept of tokens! and cards! this guy is clearly ripping off the Tang Emperor :colbert:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

So are people being idiots on purpose when talking to Frisk or do they not know he's specifically talking about the chip art?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I liek puzzle strike. I like dominion. I like game

E: you can try puzzle strike for free at fantasystrike.com if you want to judge for yourself. There are bots and a tutorial and all that jazz

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 20, 2015

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Goons are simple creatures who can't conceive of the idea of criticizing an aspect of something while still enjoying other parts. So, clearly, you either have to hate Sirlin and everything he does because of some uncredited idea "borrowing", or you have to give a free pass to stealing other people's ideas as long as you improve upon them.

Complicated opinions are hard. Much easier to just let the internet tell you what to hate.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Puzzle Strike rather blatantly stole graphic design elements from an unofficial Dominion fan project. It did not steal its game design at all. How much of an impact that has on your purchasing decision is totally up to you.

And I don't know what the gently caress people are talking about with "stealing ideas". That's not what Sirlin did. Puzzle Strike is not a rip-off of anything. Puzzle Strike's chips' graphical layout is a rip-off of some fan-made Dominion chips.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 20, 2015

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jimbozig posted:

It did not steal its game design at all.

But it's just Dominion with chips though?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

Rutibex posted:

Too transparent, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rutibex posted:

Incorrect. Puzzle Strike is an actual game, Dominion is not.