Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hahaha! gently caress off, Max. You suck.

I'm a little sad Lyndsey went this early. She had a ton of potential for drama. I would have liked to see her interact with Shirin or hear Jenn's opinion of her.

And of course Rodney and Joaquin would bond. God I hope there's a nice puzzle that gets one of them sent home next week before they can full on bromance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

I knew I took this screenshot for a reason.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

aidoru posted:

I knew I took this screenshot for a reason.

That's the Survivor Editors favorite way to set someone up for going home.

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
Most of these people are so bad at the game that a Kelly is probably among the five most likely winners. Shameful.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
YES!!! Max is out!

I'm so loving pumped.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
That was beautiful. And surprising, because I though it'd be Shirin. But I never really warmed up to Max, although I never hated him. Can't believe I ever thought he was a contender, wow. And Shirin is SO SCREWED. It's hilarious also because Carolyn and Jenn both also deeply love Survivor, but they're not gigantic spergs about it.
Unfortunately the next boots will be really predictable. Probably. If Blue loses it'll be Joaquin or Tyler (Joe is super-likable, least likely to be booted), or maybe Rodney if Sierra can form Joe/Joaquin/Tyler into a coalition. Red will be Shirin and then Will.
anyway, great set of episodes, although I'm sure now it was for scheduling reasons because episode 4 was fine.
And I've finally found people to root for! Go Mike and Kelly! :neckbeard:

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Robnoxious posted:

Yeah, I don't get why RHAP has been sucking this guy's dick for years.
He pretty much did everything wrong out there and he's the so-called "expert" study of the game?

I don't remember Rob sucking this guy's dick. Maybe he was positive about him in some earlier recaps but he certainly hasn't been talking about him for multiple years.

In fact in a recent patron-cast Rob talked about how he actually DIDN'T like Max in real life because a year or two ago Max totally flaked out on him.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Codependent Poster posted:

Shirin is really loving weird.
Yep and it's hilarious.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Wow that was really lovely and uncomfortable the way the editors put the boots to Max. You could give that edit to half the people who played the game, and most of the rest are Kellys. He sucked out there, but they really went out of their way to embarrass the guy.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

BGrifter posted:

Wow that was really lovely and uncomfortable the way the editors put the boots to Max. You could give that edit to half the people who played the game, and most of the rest are Kellys. He sucked out there, but they really went out of their way to embarrass the guy.

They got real tired to blurring out his dick.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan

BGrifter posted:

With his feet in the Pot I was thinking, he's in hot water.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

BGrifter posted:

I doubt 1/2 the people who play (or watch) know the astrological signs of all past winners.
Max was lovely and uncomfortable to see on tv, probably was even worse for the people around him. This is a social game and he had no social skills or self-awareness. Tried to be Cochrane, but played like Garrett.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Mar 19, 2015

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Spatula City posted:

That was beautiful. And surprising, because I though it'd be Shirin. But I never really warmed up to Max, although I never hated him. Can't believe I ever thought he was a contender, wow. And Shirin is SO SCREWED. It's hilarious also because Carolyn and Jenn both also deeply love Survivor, but they're not gigantic spergs about it.
Unfortunately the next boots will be really predictable. Probably. If Blue loses it'll be Joaquin or Tyler (Joe is super-likable, least likely to be booted), or maybe Rodney if Sierra can form Joe/Joaquin/Tyler into a coalition. Red will be Shirin and then Will.
anyway, great set of episodes, although I'm sure now it was for scheduling reasons because episode 4 was fine.
And I've finally found people to root for! Go Mike and Kelly! :neckbeard:

Nah, Kelly should be the one gone next week. Shirin's not got any allies left so she can be reeled back in but there's no way you risk letting Kelly get back to the Blue Collars at the merge.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

Unfortunately the next boots will be really predictable.

If Blue loses it'll be Joaquin or Tyler, or maybe Rodney if Sierra can form Joe/Joaquin/Tyler into a coalition.

Super predictable!

You just named half the tribe.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Silly Burrito posted:

I haven't seen teams this mismatched since Zack and Slater picked teams.

Late, but :golfclap:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I am so looking forward to the Rodney + Joaquin bromance.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Rarity posted:

Nah, Kelly should be the one gone next week. Shirin's not got any allies left so she can be reeled back in but there's no way you risk letting Kelly get back to the Blue Collars at the merge.

If they lose the next immunity challenge, though, they might be forced to vote out Will or Shirin first just to try to forestall a further downward slide. Also, this early in the game people are still in part voting based on disgust. I don't believe Shirin has any control over the aspects of her personality that her new tribemates hate, and beyond that, I don't think she'll take Max's boot with much grace.
Also the editing has emphasized how bad she and Will are at challenges.

xcore posted:

Super predictable!

You just named half the tribe.

Thinking more about it, I was wrong, the bootlist isn't predictable. Because nobody is safe in the red tribe. Blue tribe, we don't even know if they'll go to tribal council or if the conflicts being set up will come back up at merge. But if they do, it's hard to tell who goes. Mike and Dan are safe, as Rodney's the lightningrod if Sierra organizes a successful coup, and then Mike could create a new alliance that shuts Sierra out (I have some measure of faith in him, and besides he wouldn't be too pissed because he never liked Rodney).

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Binary Logic posted:

I doubt 1/2 the people who play (or watch) know the astrological signs of all past winners.
Max was lovely and uncomfortable to see on tv, probably was even worse for the people around him. This is a social game and he had no social skills or self-awareness. Tried to be Cochrane, but played like Garrett.

Yeah. I didn't see anything unfair or cruel about Max's edit. He was very obviously smug and socially clueless. He's the one who chose to interrupt Jeff so he could pretend some cool Survivor moment, run around in his underwear like he was Hatch, and randomly make One World references and astrological signs. Truly, Jenn was right. Who the hell knows that and why would you say it unless you were trying to prove how smart you are?

Max played an aggressively bad and embarrassing game and Survivor showed it. Doing anything less would have struck me as giving him a friendly edit for no reason. It always comes down to the basic fact that they can't put words in your mouth or make you do embarrassing poo poo unprovoked. That's on you.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
This interview with Max basically confirms everything I thought about him: he's terrible at the game but still likable and a big fan in all the best ways. I love the insight about just how badly he mangled the Carolyn situation, and how his attempts to isolate Joaquin only made the tribe like him more. It takes a big, self-aware fan to be able to recognize and articulate exactly what went wrong so well, and it's a shame he couldn't figure any of this out on the island.

Anyway, if you're like me and are somewhat baffled why Probst hyped this season up so much, Max says the best is still yet to come. Something amazing must be around the corner if Probst and Max are only doubling down on calling this season great even after the kind of middling response it's gotten so far.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Middling response? AFAIK most everyone in this thread is really enjoying it.

Here's my suspicion of next season's big twist: Probst grows a beard.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I don't know what you'd expect. This has been a pretty fun season for me so far. Lots of interesting characters, some already very enjoyable Tribals and downfalls, and a solid crop of players still in that could do well. I think a good sign is that not a single person who has been eliminated so far is someone I think could have played a good game going forward. Its all crappy players being expelled so far.

I was curious of HOW he and Sirin could be so blind to Carolyn's disdain for them and why they made no efforts to secure the numbers and instead just assumed the 3-3-1 split (I question why the hell Mike didn't do this too since, yeah, it sucks that you probably lost Sierra but maybe you should try and recruit Joe or Joaq/Tyler?). I don't know that Max answers those things decisively but he makes it clear that he was just blindly arrogant to them and can seem to at least admit that.

It seems like he was "game boting" it quite a bit with that whole "Carolyn was a pawn and I thought she'd understand that but I guess she doesn't get the game" thing. I hate that. Of course she didn't "understand" it, Max. Because you made her expendable if something went wrong. When Hali went to Will and said "sorry I put your name down but we were just worried about an idol" she doesn't seem to understand she's actually saying "You're expendable, Will, and if you had gone home that would have been no big deal." Max didn't seem to get that he was sending that message to Carolyn. And then he couldn't read her and grossly underestimated her.

And then he went into his new tribe obsessed with weakening Joe by getting out Will and that's just silly. Max's flaw seems obvious. He knows too much about the game and thinks he knows everything and can control things. The great players are ones who can influence and adapt. The lovely players are ones who walk in planning to be puppetmasters and convinced they can control it all.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Allright im rooting for a Carolyn,Jenn,Kelly, and Hali final four all four know how to play the game. They also all have strings in the other tribe they can pull and 2 votes worth of cannon fodder in Will,Shirin oh they also got 2 idols. It's really four people who manipulated their way into power in their old tribe all working together.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Binary Logic posted:

Max might be the only person on earth who knows the astrological signs of all past winners. I'm a gigantic Survivor geek, I've watched it since Day 1, I read and post about it on the internet and listen to multiple podcasts about it, I play Sporcle games about Survivor, I can name every season and winner in order easily and stuff like that.....even I don't have any clue what any former contestants astrological sign was. I feel like that was the perfect thing for them to capture Max saying to make even superfans like myself say "Oh wow, this guy is a bit much even for me"

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Binary Logic posted:

Oh no doubt he was awful and obsessive about useless Survivor trivia, but you could string together clips of anyone on their boot episode talking about how they're confident in their alliance when the game has shifted behind their back. You could do the same thing to Boston Rob if you really wanted complete with the "look at how clueless this guy is" music like they gave Max. It felt like they were piling on the guy a bit.

He deserved to go but they could have left a little mystery and probably had a better episode. The whole episode felt like it could have been edited a little better, the first half was a mess storytelling-wise.

Edit: I wonder if he pissed off Probst. Probst seems to hate Survivor fanboys almost as much as Shatner hated Star Trek fanboys.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 19, 2015

Genetic squares
Feb 17, 2009

It's all going square
Last week on RHAP Kass said Max did piss off Steve Burnett when she met both of them on some trade show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

BGrifter posted:

Oh no doubt he was awful and obsessive about useless Survivor trivia, but you could string together clips of anyone on their boot episode talking about how they're confident in their alliance when the game has shifted behind their back. You could do the same thing to Boston Rob if you really wanted complete with the "look at how clueless this guy is" music like they gave Max. It felt like they were piling on the guy a bit.

He deserved to go but they could have left a little mystery and probably had a better episode. The whole episode felt like it could have been edited a little better, the first half was a mess storytelling-wise.

I mean, we DO always get a bunch of "I'm confident" moments from the guy getting dumped. If it was worse with Max than maybe its because Max (by his own admission) was an incredibly annoying presence in camp and had no right or reason to be that cocky.

Like, why do you feel Max got it worse? Shirin had the same cocky claims and "Boy, she has no idea how wrong she is" storytelling. If Shirin had been the one to go it all would have played the same way. And its not all that different from how So went down or Vince. The major difference is that they claimed they saw it coming and were at least a little apprehensive while Max seems to suggest in the post show interview that he really and truly was just as cocky and clueless as shown on TV.

The story of that tribal was that two people were VERY cocky despite the fact that the entire tribe hated them and wanted them gone. Editing it differently to make it seem mysterious where Kelly would fall without showing us that Carolyn HATES Max and Shirin would have been a pointless diversion and hidden the actual story. The only reason it turned out SO comical and over the top is because of Shirin and Max's over the top and unbelievably clueless behavior.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I wonder if Max will be too embarrassed to ever run his Survivor class again. Because really... :laugh:

They really scored a trifecta with the guys in blue collar all being blatant chauvinists. It really is a shame that the tribe swap was so stacked, it's not an aspect of Survivor I like; there's too much randomness in tribe swaps like this that unlucky players can't do anything about. Alternatives should be considered, like doing the ol' pick captains who pick 2nds who each pick 3rds etc (perhaps saying you can't pick someone from your tribe or something?). Anyway, it means that we likely won't see comeuppance for Dan for some time. Mike's an rear end too, but he was trying so hard to just get Dan to say nothing but "I'm sorry". I just started laughing as soon as Dan starting blaming Sierra during his "apology'

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Shakugan posted:

I wonder if Max will be too embarrassed to ever run his Survivor class again. Because really... :laugh:

They really scored a trifecta with the guys in blue collar all being blatant chauvinists. It really is a shame that the tribe swap was so stacked, it's not an aspect of Survivor I like; there's too much randomness in tribe swaps like this that unlucky players can't do anything about. Alternatives should be considered, like doing the ol' pick captains who pick 2nds who each pick 3rds etc (perhaps saying you can't pick someone from your tribe or something?).

Personally I think in situations like this they should go with the two captains idea and have it be "one captain divides the tribes, the other one decides which tribe they want" scenario, I think that would be cleaner, especially with three tribes coming together.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

SJDS had a lot of people who had never seen the show before and sucked and this season has people that are obsessed with it and suck.

Speaking of the super fans, Dan is terrible. The Blue Collar tribe sucks so hard. Kelly said during tribal council how if they voted out Lindsey they'd be losing Sierra too, so apparently they had thought of that... and then they side with Rodney and vote out Lindsey anyway. That would sink them if it weren't for the fact that new tribe is never going to lose a challenge. And then they go back to camp and Dan insults Sierra, and then Dan "apologizes" to Sierra, Mike talks about how they need to keep an eye on Sierra, and then they all walk off and leave Sierra unattended. Unreal.

Dan: "women listen like this, men listen like this"
Mike: "when you apologize to a woman, just tell them you're sorry and that's it, that's all they want to hear"
Rodney: "women should hold themselves to a higher standard than men etc etc"
:thumbsup:

Compared to the other two, Firewood Mike actually comes out looking good.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Mike's probably an rear end in a top hat from the blowup he had and some of the confessionals but he's got enough sense to keep it contained most of the time and play the game. Brad Dan and Rodney are just deluded morons. Like, Mike's advice about just telling a woman what they might want to hear may be patronizing and misogynistic but in this case it would have made game sense. Brad's Dan's not only a pig but a terrible player who doesn't know what an apology is or understand the idea of buttering someone up.

I don't blame Mike and Kelly much for voting out Lyndsey. Yeah, it would hurt their position with Sierra but I assume that voting out Rodney would have hurt them with Brad Dan. On paper it was even either way and keeping Rodney for challenges makes sense since you can't count on a tribe swap even if it's historically likely to come. The real problem there was obviously Rodney and Brad Dan ripping into Sierra after Tribal. That was ridiculously stupid and you probably can't expect Mike and Kelly to see it coming. Maybe they could have done more to stop it or stick up for Sierra but it's impossible for us to tell that from the small clips we saw.

My biggest criticism of Mike from these episodes is that even though he realizes Sierra will probably side against them and that Brad Dan will probably gently caress up his apology he doesn't seem to make any effort to lure in a new fourth vote in Joe or make a power alliance with the White Collars. But I suppose he could have done some of that and it just not make the edit since it wasn't part of the story.

Edited because I have some kind of undiagnosed disorder about replacing people's names with totally unrelated names.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 20, 2015

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

ctrl-h brad for dan?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Doh. I have no idea why I did that. I'm just poo poo with names but like Dan's name was right there in the post I was responding to. I have no idea who Brad is.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Surely Max is one of the biggest disappointments in the shows history? The ratio of potential to performance is massive.

Anyone a little sad about the show casting so many overtly stupid people? Yeah, it makes for some great TV moments, but the strategy and nuance to the game is completely ruined. It's like they are just going out to cast an entire season of Coach Wades

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

xcore posted:

Surely Max is one of the biggest disappointments in the shows history? The ratio of potential to performance is massive.

Anyone a little sad about the show casting so many overtly stupid people? Yeah, it makes for some great TV moments, but the strategy and nuance to the game is completely ruined. It's like they are just going out to cast an entire season of Coach Wades

I think Maxs encyclopedic knowledge of the game is what hurt him. He was so focused on big moves that he couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Come on guys, he doesn't know that much trivia, it's just that we're all filthy casuals

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
lol

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

SalTheBard posted:

I think Maxs encyclopedic knowledge of the game is what hurt him. He was so focused on big moves that he couldn't see the forest for the trees.

It's not the knowledge or super fandom that killed him, it was the inability to keep that poo poo in check and play the game. In the end Max was probably a high potential player on paper given all he knows and the strategy he can work out in his head. But when he set foot on that beach he started fanboying hard and mapping his brilliant victory all while playing a terrible social game. And it's hard for the casting department to predict him running around naked and regaling people about One World memories all while neglecting a crucial ally he used as a pawn unless he flat out says he's gonna do that. All he needs to dupe the casting is say "but I have to hide that I'm such a big fan" and then do the exact opposite.

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways
Watch them pick Max for next all-stars season for sure.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As much as I dislike Max and think him a master douchelord I actually would be totally fine seeing him back in a Fans vs Favorites season. You have to figure either he'd reign all that fanboy poo poo in and learn from his mistakes so he might be a better player or he'll have learned nothing and flame out spectacularly a second time.

Like, Cochran wasn't nearly as bad as Max but part of the reason he rubbed me wrong in his first season was some of the same fanboy stuff like "Jeff, can you call me by my last name since you call all your favorites by their last names?" And he's a good example of someone who dramatically improved their game the second time around and arguably took more advantage of his assets as a superfan once he had shaken the immediate fanboy instinct of being on the show.

Besides, Tyson was a massive idiot twice before he won a season so that seems like it could establish a "Three Strikes" rule for anyone.*

*Before Boston Rob is brought up I'd argue that All Stars was a sac fly and Heroes vs Villains was like some kind of "baserunning error/fielder's choice" situation. So he had productive ABs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

STAC Goat posted:

It's not the knowledge or super fandom that killed him, it was the inability to keep that poo poo in check and play the game. In the end Max was probably a high potential player on paper given all he knows and the strategy he can work out in his head. But when he set foot on that beach he started fanboying hard and mapping his brilliant victory all while playing a terrible social game. And it's hard for the casting department to predict him running around naked and regaling people about One World memories all while neglecting a crucial ally he used as a pawn unless he flat out says he's gonna do that. All he needs to dupe the casting is say "but I have to hide that I'm such a big fan" and then do the exact opposite.

Yeah, Max miscalculated the nudity thing. Yea, he initially did it as an homage to Richard Hatch. But, he forgot that Richard did it very late game, one time only, while he was in control of the majority alliance. When he tried it again in All-Stars, during a challenge, he was booted pretty quickly.

Meanwhile, Max started going nude pretty much from day one, before he cemented relationships with his tribemates, and he just kept on doing it. Over, and over. Then he got Shirin in on it.

They majorly miscalculated the nudity thing.

• Locked thread