Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Series DD Funding posted:

Neither the guy nor the employer said they ordered him to go out, and the company said they specifically train to not go out early. If there is a guilty boss there's no evidence for a particular person, and they noted the company's been fined many times in lieu of jailing the employees.

According to his lawyer he doesn't set the schedule, his employer does. Even if there is no direct evidence to nail some boss (I'm pretty sure there would be records of who sets schedules and approves times) going after the lowest man on the totem pole is really setting your priorities incorrectly and probably not going to do much to make management change their ways. If fines aren't working, jailing their garbage-men probably won't. Do they work on a whipping boy system?

http://patch.com/georgia/sandysprings/court-softens-blow-sanitation-worker-reduces-sentence-time-served

quote:

Bandoh added the city should consider talking to a particular employer about ordinance violations as opposed to targeting employees who are just following company orders. In this case, Bandoh said McGill was merely following the directions of Waste Management.

The company outlines which routes drivers have to take on specific dates and times. Any deviation from that route or time of day drivers are suppose to collect waste will alert the company’s system, she stated.

“He’s not in control of when he drives the truck and where he goes,” she stated.

For its part, Waste Management characterized the entire situation as ”unfortunate,” and said they were ”making every attempt to resolve it.”

“We regret the impact it has had on all involved parties including Kevin and his family, who are in a stressful situation; the city of Sandy Springs, a customer we value greatly; and others,” company spokesperson Marla Prince said. “We are currently reaching out to Kevin to see if we can assist with any immediate needs. We’ve also reminded our employees that it is their continued responsibility to respect and follow all the rules of the city of Sandy Springs.”

The company statement seems very careful to not claim they told him beforehand to not pick up the trash prior to 7 am while saying the workers should be careful not to.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Shouldn't the point be, why is early garbage pickup being criminalized? Some asswipe maybe being briefly woken up at 5 AM warrants taking away a man's liberty for 30 days?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Look Sir Droids posted:

Shouldn't the point be, why is early garbage pickup being criminalized? Some asswipe maybe being briefly woken up at 5 AM warrants taking away a man's liberty for 30 days?

You don't understand, the guy being woken up at 5 AM is a Job Creator!

Apparently this is the judge being "creative." In the past they just fined the garbage pickup companies but that apparently didn't stop the practice, so blammo, pick on the guy with the absolute least power in this situation.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Series DD Funding posted:

Neither the guy nor the employer said they ordered him to go out, and the company said they specifically train to not go out early. If there is a guilty boss there's no evidence for a particular person, and they noted the company's been fined many times in lieu of jailing the employees.

And this is why you don't use contract labor :colbert:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Abolish all elected judiciaries. GOP or Democrat who runs on that gets my vote. gently caress the commons. Also abolish Herman Cain's community.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Even if you ever managed to achieve major fixes for an electoral system, such as ditching FPTP or introducing mandatory voting, the next election after that would simply be won by whichever scumfucks promised to revert things.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

From the nytimes profile on Carson posted a few pages back, this caught my eye.

quote:

(When we spoke, he suggested that the government should cut off assistance to would-be unwed mothers, but only after warning them that it would do so within a certain amount of time, say five years. “I bet you’d see a dramatic decrease in unwed motherhood.”)

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
"Okay then I'll just marry some gay dude"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Oh please. Thats clearly not what Mr. Carson wants. This is an attemp to prompt way more abortions.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Shageletic posted:

From the nytimes profile on Carson posted a few pages back, this caught my eye.

Because all the research done over the past fifty years points to "more money from the government" as to why women keep having children. I know the first thing I think about when a friend of mine gets pregnant is how rich she's going to be!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Why would you even want garbage picked up at or after 7 am?

gently caress I want that poo poo done before I get on the road so I don't have to deal with a garbage truck on the highway.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
clearly you've never lived somewhere where an entire apartment's trash is emptied at once, three times a week

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Intel&Sebastian posted:

"Okay then I'll just marry some gay dude"

You joke but there was some crazy conservative article talking about how gay marriage is ruining America because the best looking, smartest, most successful men tend to be gay and removing them from the gene pool is a crime. They should be forced into straight marriage for the good of the race society.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Republicans of all people should know you don't have to marry gay men to get ahold of their hot, sticky, socially important loads.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

Shbobdb posted:

conservative article talking about ... how best looking, smartest, most successful men tend to be gay and removing them from the gene pool is a crime.

:gay:

Oh wait this isn't the chat thread so I will add "the lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It was written by a woman. If I were her husband, I'd be pretty embarrassed since she basically outed him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I feel like most of the anti-gay marriage and anti single mother people I know would be fine with a bunch of sham, loveless marriages. A bunch of gay guys would be either repressing their urges or at least having the decency to hide it and a bunch of women would be at least playing their proper role. I don't think most of the folks complaining would care too much if it was all a lie as long as the cover was maintained.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I would like a good list of all the lovely things Jeb Bush has done. And which ones might shoot him in the foot come elections.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The New York Times asks: "Are you ready for Kasichmentum?"

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shbobdb posted:

It was written by a woman. If I were her husband, I'd be pretty embarrassed since she basically outed him.

Or called him pathetic. Kind of lose-lose

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Drudge's O'Malley bromance is actually really loving funny.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!

Shbobdb posted:

"Well I can't get a smart, hot, successful gay guy because they have :rolleyes:rights:rolleyes: now, so I'll settle for you."

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

welp he'll never be president now that he has admitted to being a fan of Known Slav vaclav havel

americans will never vote for a secret croat anyway

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 20, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6AlQiWatD4

Did this get posted yet? It's from CNN

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the transition into paul ryan's segment is perfect

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
That got loving weird

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
It's weird but I take it as a portent of just how surreal 2016 is going to be.

Also Cuba Gooding jr. as Ben Carson 2016!

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Abel Wingnut posted:

the transition into paul ryan's segment is perfect

Walker climbing up out of the hole was perfect too

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
So which one of you is working at CNN?

In all honesty, it tried a bit too hard to make it work at times, but drat if it didn't do about the best job it could given the subject matter.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Imagine being a presidential candidate considered so unremarkable, you don't even make it onto the Too Many Cooks parody of the race.

(Graham and John Bolton :()

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I'm willing to forgive that video a lot of things after how it introduced Dick Cheney.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

lol John Bolton isn't a serious candidate. He has the charisma of a slime mold.

Like, he looks like your creepy church deacon.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Mar 20, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Fulchrum posted:

Oh please. Thats clearly not what Mr. Carson wants. This is an attemp to prompt way more abortions.

My neighbor told me today that without God he wouldn't be a moral person, and he also thinks that if a woman has an abortion she shouldn't ever be allowed to have kids. Yep, that happened. He is a liberal, too.
I couldn't decide if I wanted to beat the poo poo out of him or just sit down and cry. What the gently caress man.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 30 hours!
Wait what? Abortions are bad so if you get one, you should have mandatory abortions performed on you for the rest of your life? :confused:

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

VitalSigns posted:

Wait what? Abortions are bad so if you get one, you should have mandatory abortions performed on you for the rest of your life? :confused:

I don't know, I kind of bailed on the abortion dialogue after I told him that he wasn't thinking through the ethics without religion part very well.
Why shouldn't he act like an animal without his understanding of God? Well, because he is a technically an animal but at the same time humans are distinct and extraordinary creatures.
Aha, God made us. We aren't monkeys are we?

No gently caress, Goddammit. Are you are sociopath?
No, because I have God in my life.
Humans are wired to feel empathy and care about community. We have socialization.

I'd still just be a base animal without God.
Have you really thought about this?
Yeah, without God I'd be an animal.

You are a loving sociopath.

Edit: He isn't a sociopath but he really believes that God is the only thing keeping him from acting like a frat boy. I don't even know, and I don't even care to try and have a follow up conversation.
All I got from the abortion conversation were MRA talking points. So I just bailed as quickly as possible.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 20, 2015

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

VitalSigns posted:

No no - if a woman has an abortion, she is a foul, dirty whore and should never be touched by a man.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
That was a really good video, they got all of the best points from just about every candidate and they fit quite well each time.

Those are probably the exact ones I would've chosen, good job whoever at CNN still has his/her soul.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

awesmoe posted:

That got loving weird

I'm guessing you haven't seen the original

ComradeCosmobot posted:

In all honesty, it tried a bit too hard to make it work at times, but drat if it didn't do about the best job it could given the subject matter.

The perfectly placed Dean Scream is what sealed it imo

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

VitalSigns posted:

I've run into folks who believe that before as well. The logic is that the baby was a gift from god, and abortion is rejecting god's gift, if you reject god's gift you don't deserve any more gifts in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/03/rick-perry-executed-an-innocent-man-after-prosecutor-hid-evidence-in-kids-arson-deaths-texas-bar/

quote:

Despite mounting concern that Willingham was innocent, the former Texas governor Rick Perry refused to stay his execution. In 2009, after an investigation by the Texas Forensic Science Commission found that the arson evidence was faulty, Perry replaced the board’s chairman and two other members and called Willingham “a monster” .

This needs to follow Perry forever, dude was incredulous about giving Willingham any shred of a chance and then canned everyone involved with the investigation. It's been a big deal amongst the left in Texas for a while now. Hopefully this, combined with Perry's run, will give it some more attention.

• Locked thread