Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Fryhtaning posted:

Work with me here ok. I'm in battery therapy.

It's 2015, batteries aren't poo poo like they were a decade ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I've only finished Chapter 2 of Codename STEAM, but so far I'm enjoying the game. It took me awhile to get started though because the prologue and first chapter were both in the demo and are fairly unexciting due to only having two characters for them. I honestly think that including those levels in the demo was a huge mistake, even if I understand them doing so to ease people into the game system.

Also, I really enjoy how powerful Overwatch is as a mechanic. It rewards effective luring and funneling of enemies into chokepoints, sets up potential multikills on your next turn with John Henry's grenade launcher, and gives bonus medals for kills scored with it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

flyboi posted:

I'm so confused

it's decal

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Turtlicious posted:

And so ends the tale of the nintendo *Glue* 3ds.

I'm surprised the decal is on properly.

Also stay away from glue.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Sodium Chloride posted:

I'm surprised the decal is on properly.

Also stay away from glue.

He glued the decal on. :ssh:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
So I backed up my old SD card with all my saves on my old 3DS, and did a system transfer to my new 3DSXL.

If I wanted to re-do the system transfer, could I just factory reset the new 3DS and system transfer from my old SD card? Or will that cause bad things to happen? Will it cause any weirdness with the NNID?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

interrodactyl posted:

So I backed up my old SD card with all my saves on my old 3DS, and did a system transfer to my new 3DSXL.

If I wanted to re-do the system transfer, could I just factory reset the new 3DS and system transfer from my old SD card? Or will that cause bad things to happen? Will it cause any weirdness with the NNID?

Short answer; don't factory-reset your N3DS.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
How is Xeodrifter? Looks like a decent metroidvania for the sale price of $5.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

interrodactyl posted:

You can't re-do a system transfer. The process wipes your old system and makes your SD saves completely incompatible with anything but the new system. Wiping it means you can never use those saves again.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

interrodactyl posted:

Neddy already said don't do it, but even if you wanted to, you can't because you can't transfer back to the old 3DS, the OS won't let you. So no.

Edit: On that note, what the hell possess people to do these extremely edge case things that no one should do in the first place? It's like you want to gently caress your poo poo up. Just follow the loving directions. :psyduck:

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Okay :smith:

I guess I'm just a dumb idiot then.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

I will also cast my vote toward gluing googly eyes onto the mask.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I dunno if this is a good game or not but its commercial is amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv8KRFvaOXw

DIG UP ANCIENT FOSSILS! WHO PUT THEM HEEEERE?!

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

FirstAidKite posted:

Satan obviously to trick the Christians. :colbert:

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Turtlicious posted:

Is it just me, or does it look like you can still see the glue stains through that?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Theta Zero posted:

Is it just me, or does it look like you can still see the glue stains through that?

Yep, looks like it has tumors.

Dreyvas
Jan 13, 2014
The telltale signs of his past shame will eternally haunt him.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Level Slide posted:

Have the Ace Attorney games actually factored in to Japanese court system reforms (if any)? I'd assume the answer is "no", but I'm just making sure.

lol

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Waltzing Along posted:

You should glue goofy eyes to the masks eyes now.

Oh god THIS!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Turtlicious posted:

Waltzing Along posted:

You should glue goofy eyes to the masks eyes now.

DO EEEEEEETTT! :unsmigghh:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hmm, maybe this is why I feel like Code Name STEAM looks almost retina on my XL, but other people think not.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=156553933&postcount=286

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

noirstronaut posted:

Hmm, maybe this is why I feel like Code Name STEAM looks almost retina on my XL, but other people think not.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=156553933&postcount=286

I knew there was something better about the N3DSXL screen quality that I couldn't put my finger on. That sucks for people that are stuck with the shittier screens. I guess that's why Nintendo isn't advertising this as another improvement.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

How would I know which I got? Y'know, so I can obsess.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
hold it at a weird angle and if colours get all washed out lol unlucky

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Fix posted:

How would I know which I got? Y'know, so I can obsess.

The IPS screens are all on the New 3DS XL's. The regular News, don't.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently I didn't read that link right...

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
Say what you will about the gameplay of Code Name S.T.E.A.M., the music owns.

I'm pretty sure the guy who did the Advance Wars: Days of Ruin soundtrack worked on the soundtrack for this game.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

quote:

So to recap, the game of lottery of the 3DS top screen involves:

- IPS vs TN screen
- Calibration (warm vs cool)
- Hinge type (some slide from side to side, some wobble back and forth, some have loud clicks, etc)
- Dead pixels vs no dead pixels

Pretty sure I got TN, warm, and all of the lovely hinge characteristics. My top hinge can be slid left and right, and it wobbles way more than my old 3DS XL. Oh well. At least no dead pixels!

My wishlist for the next Nintendo handheld: source your poo poo from the same place, and include a charger.

Reminds me of my last smartphone, and how I had it replaced three times, and how all three screens were clearly different, and how much I really hated that.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

General Morden posted:

Say what you will about the gameplay of Code Name S.T.E.A.M.,

Its loving awesome that's what.

Also yeah the music is pretty great too. Though I'm using it mostly as a podcast game as the "alien movement" phase is pretty bad.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I forgot to mention it in my previous post but I really like the dynamic that Lion's main weapon brings to the table in Codename STEAM. Using it to jump over/around holes/pipes/other obstacles can significantly improve your position and also shorten some maps by a large amount. Also, if you're in a place where it helps, you can position him on the diagonal point of a square such that he can jump to the third square on the diagonal, effectively moving him six spaces for the price of four.

One other helpful hint I stumbled on randomly: if a character is stunned, say by an overwatch attack, you can snap them out of the stun by healing them.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
So STEAM plays a bit like XCOM, Fire Emblem or Advanced Wars? That sounds pretty fun, but what are people complaining about in terms of the controls or gameplay?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

From what I've seen, it plays more like Valkyria Chronicles. I'd like to get it myself, but money.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Theta Zero posted:

So STEAM plays a bit like XCOM, Fire Emblem or Advanced Wars? That sounds pretty fun, but what are people complaining about in terms of the controls or gameplay?
I've only played the demo but the major complaints I had are that

1. alien turns take too long. You have to sit through each alien doing its turn, even if that alien is programmed to just sit still on the opposite side of the map and not do anything. This kind of thing works with x-com where you generally have a lot more soldiers and wider areas and you can still hear what the aliens are doing and you also had fog of war preventing you from seeing the aliens unlike in codename steam where you can plenty of times see an alien without your character registering as seeing the enemy. More or less it leads to just sitting there waiting and not doing anything while the aliens sit there and don't do anything.
2. The camera can't be zoomed in or out (or if it can, not by much), which causes problems in more cramped maps where you'll have lots of clutter all around but aren't able to aim well (mainly with weapons that fire in an arc) because of stuff in your way or stuff blocking the camera.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Theta Zero posted:

Ok so it's turn based and the enemy turns take FOREVER. Like really FOREVER. On average at least a minute if not more. The game is amazing but it's a hell of a drawback from an otherwise amazing experience also to be noted it's basically The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen meets Valkyria Chronicles.

Also it needs a sniper rifle like really really badly. I don't have all characters or guns required but man it needs something with longer range.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Why would you not speed up hidden movement in a turn based game. Where do basic design choices go so wrong?

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

FrickenMoron posted:

Why would you not speed up hidden movement in a turn based game. Where do basic design choices go so wrong?

The rumor/ conjecture is it may be cpu limited.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Haruharuharuko posted:

Codename S.T.E.A.M.: Everyone Should Have Bought A New 3DS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Haruharuharuko posted:

Which really doesn't make sense when it's a first-party title, since the dev team would've had access to the n3DS kit.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which really doesn't make sense when it's a first-party title, since the dev team would've had access to the n3DS kit.

Grezzo didn't know until late into Majora's Mask 3D's development either...

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/grezzo-didnt-know-about-the-new-nintendo-3ds-until-late-in-development#.VQvae454rYg

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

So I use dune buggies to dig up fossils, and then use those fossils to revive dinosaurs, and then use those dinosaurs to fight each other.

I refuse to believe this game wasn't designed by a 10 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So I use dune buggies to dig up fossils, and then use those fossils to revive dinosaurs, and then use those dinosaurs to fight each other.

I refuse to believe this game wasn't designed by a 10 year old.

The first one on DS was actually pretty cool and had this neat mechanic for physical dlc (for lack of a better term) see how you unlock certain rare fossils was you had to tap out a certain pattern on the touch screen so certain stores (gamestop, target, walmart) all had different cards you would put over the touch screen and tap through the holes in the cards in the correct order as indicated on the card. It was super neat.