Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

The best entrance in Helldivers is the one where your drop pod kills a teammate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

littleorv posted:

I would much rather play Alan Wake five times than play FFX once

If you had actually played the game you'd likely realize why people like it. Idiot.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Alan Wake is a pretty drat fun game. As a little thing: I've never played a game that matched Alan Wake's atmosphere of dread and oppression.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

TontoCorazon posted:

I've never played a game that matched Alan Wake's atmosphere of dread and oppression.

what

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

littleorv posted:

I would much rather play Alan Wake five times than play FFX once

To each their own. Five runs of Alan Wake is probably still shorter than FFX anyway.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The DLC for Alan Wake was OK, if the people who made the game weren't so full of themselves and their lovely Twin Peaks fanfiction and its laughably predictable twist ending we could have had a whole game of fun surreal reality-warping adventures instead of a game of monotonously killing the same two guys over and over for 10 hours.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Alan Wake was alright, but Deadly Premonition was just so much better. More likable characters, a more interesting plot, and it had more of its own identity.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 01:43 on Mar 20, 2015

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Alan Wake is insanely bad garbage, I wasn't aware there were people who could derive any enjoyment from that piece of poo poo.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Austrian mook posted:

Alan Wake is insanely bad garbage, I wasn't aware there were people who could derive any enjoyment from that piece of poo poo.

Yes we get it ffx is the only good game ever and your not a creepy weirdo for having a tidus body pillow.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

Alan Wake was alright, but Deadly Premonition was just so much better. More likable characters, a more interesting plot, and it had more of its own identity.

Harder to actually play though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Lord Lambeth posted:

Harder to actually play though.

Why dont you go watch a movie then

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

Shame they only really populate the first 1/4-1/3 of the game and the rest of it is just a stream of locations flooded with things to kill.
I enjoyed what was there but the pacing was a mess that just killed me.
That said, I'm putting the disc back in right now.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Austrian mook posted:

No way jose

I do really love deadly premonition but anyone who says that game is not a technical mess is lying.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lord Lambeth posted:

No way jose

I do really love deadly premonition but anyone who says that game is not a technical mess is lying.

I'm surprised there hasn't been some kind of fan effort to patch the game properly.

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Sad lions posted:

That said, I'm putting the disc back in right now.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Austrian mook posted:

Good news, Remedy's next project lets you do just that!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been some kind of fan effort to patch the game properly.

The guy who made the patch that makes Dark Souls playable also released a Deadly Premonition patch. The developers actually integrated a lot of his support into an official patch for the game afterward.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Accordion Man posted:

No it isn't. The writing is awful from a technical standpoint, it's just significantly worse in plot because it's just a wholesale rip off with weird poo poo thrown in to try and give it personality, and even though Alan Wake's combat is repetitive it controls amazingly fluidly, the use of slow-mo is great, and the actual weapons are satisfying. Deadly Premonition's gameplay, combat sections AND town sections is beyond loving awful. It is literally a heinous unfun chore to experience in order to get to some okay quirky characterization in over long cutscenes.
Wake at least has a sense of pacing, and its tongue in cheek nature is far more subtle and less obnoxious than DP's. Wake also just has an interesting narrative mechanic while DP, besides its odd storyline, is just told in the most boilerplate dull rear end loving way.

Being strange isn't enough to actually be "good" narratively or gameplay wise. Wake is a little more straight laced but its actual plot, hammy as it is, is still far more innovative and better told.
SWERY's newest pile of over indulgent garbage on the Bone is just further proof of this.
I never understood the love for that game. It's completely unplayable trash that doesn't even run right half the time with a plot that isn't nearly as in-depth as people make it out to be.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In dragons dogma I have a giant bald guy as my pc and three female pawns and I love to run his stamina out and then he stands with his hands on his knees gasping for breath while three women implore him to not die.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CJacobs posted:

He hadn't finished the game yet when he posted that :ssh:

Well literally not 5 seconds later when you're Manny and go to execute Tony, you see he's dragged in Mark and Corey's corpses. Incidently I felt kinda bad about that part. Yeah that were crazed murderers, but Tony just sounds so defeated when he's locked in a room with the corpses of half his friends. :(

oldpainless posted:

In dragons dogma I have a giant bald guy as my pc and three female pawns and I love to run his stamina out and then he stands with his hands on his knees gasping for breath while three women implore him to not die.

Goons have the weirdest fetishes.

Sad lions posted:

Everything about act 5-4 in Hotline Miami 2. Saw the scenario coming though I thought it'd be mission for Jacket.
Hell of thing prying sympathy for a character I happily thumbed the eyes out of in HM1

Choke, it's the director you thumb the eyes out of. :eng101:

Ledgy posted:

Hotline Miami 2

Inner Warrior.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Lord Lambeth posted:

No way jose

I really wanted to get into Deadly Premonition and RE4 (the latter especially based on all the praise here), but I can't for the life of me get used to tank controls. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Austrian mook posted:

You went back and played through all of Alan Wake 5 different times? To each their own but uhhh.... are you poor and can't aford any other games or something?

The game's been out for like 5 years what are you even talking about, it's not like I played it 5 times back to back idiot

God you are such a moron always I don't even understand you

edit: Oh you said that because you don't like Alan Wake, as if this thread needed another example of your bad taste in video games

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:59 on Mar 20, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

graybook posted:

I really wanted to get into Deadly Premonition and RE4 (the latter especially based on all the praise here), but I can't for the life of me get used to tank controls. :(

Go play RE4. I believe in you and the willpower of the human spirit. It's such a fantastic game.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Anatharon posted:

Well literally not 5 seconds later when you're Manny and go to execute Tony, you see he's dragged in Mark and Corey's corpses. Incidently I felt kinda bad about that part. Yeah that were crazed murderers, but Tony just sounds so defeated when he's locked in a room with the corpses of half his friends. :(

Goons have the weirdest fetishes.

Choke, it's the director you thumb the eyes out of. :eng101:

Inner Warrior.

Aye, my bad.
Didn't even realise until the appearance if Richter in two that it was possible to spare him. Not that it would have saved him on my first run of the game when I was coming in fresh off the back of that gutshot.

I'm having a hell of a time unlocking Abyss now that I'm finished with the main feature :(
Also: dear lord is hard mode not loving around.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

This guy is cheating. Also may be noclipping through the air to get that screenshot angle.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Go play RE4. I believe in you and the willpower of the human spirit. It's such a fantastic game.

I'm playing through RE4 for the first time although very slowly. It holds up really well for being a decade old. There's some fairly rough spots though. I'm at a lift section and I died at least five times and I just had to put it down before I got too mad.

Game's pretty cool though. I like that Ashley ducks if you aim in her direction. I like being able to kick zombies in the face. I will never get tired of bear traps and I'm a bit sad that I don't remember seeing them in RE5 or 6.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just wait until you can suplex them.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

There's a few vague things about the game I know about. I watched most of the freelance astronauts LP of RE4 many years ago but I forget almost all of it. I do remember suplexing, though, alongside going into a castle and the main antagonist being Napoleon. That's about it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
One of the starting characters in Dungeon of the Endless is blatantly Samus Aran, it's great. I don't know how they expect me to pass up making my starting duo her and the special edition not-Doctor-Who character.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 06:05 on Mar 20, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Inferior posted:

"Ni hao!" *dainty wave*

I love Binary Domain. I like the way the robot enemies react to being shot apart, and the way you can make them attack their own side.

BD is one of the most fun games I've played in the last 5 years. I just killed the giant motorcycle mech/transformer and it constantly reaffirms my belief that it is the most non-Kojima Kojima game.

E:

Samfucius posted:

If you're anything like me, be prepared to be really annoyed near the end when the best character in the game just leaves and never comes back.

And even more annoyed when you learn there is a way to get him to stay, which you did, but the game bugged out apparently.

It has been years and I am still salty about this. I loved that guy, but there was no way I was replaying the whole game.

It's not Cain, is it? :ohdear:

Jobbo_Fett has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Mar 20, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Stop stalking me. :(

Gotta admit though, I'm not feeling the replayability of HLM2.

On the upside though, I grabbed Binary Domain recently thanks to an LP thread and steam sale and holy poo poo how have I missed such an awesome game? The character dialogue between main characters is stellar and I wish more games were like it.

There's a level editor that's yet to come out so that will probably help.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It's not Cain, is it? :ohdear:

:smith:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

oldpainless posted:

Dragon's Dogma is rad. I made my dude a scrawny little 12-year-old with an eye missing and just spent the whole game climbing on things and stabbing them in the back of the neck.

The character creator in DD was really good.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Brain In A Jar posted:

Dragon's Dogma is rad. I made my dude a scrawny little 12-year-old with an eye missing and just spent the whole game climbing on things and stabbing them in the back of the neck.

The character creator in DD was really good.

Speaking of, did the DD sequel turn into that Japan only MMO?

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

JebanyPedal posted:

No it isn't. The writing is awful from a technical standpoint, it's just significantly worse in plot because it's just a wholesale rip off with weird poo poo thrown in to try and give it personality, and even though Alan Wake's combat is repetitive it controls amazingly fluidly, the use of slow-mo is great, and the actual weapons are satisfying. Deadly Premonition's gameplay, combat sections AND town sections is beyond loving awful. It is literally a heinous unfun chore to experience in order to get to some okay quirky characterization in over long cutscenes.
Wake at least has a sense of pacing, and its tongue in cheek nature is far more subtle and less obnoxious than DP's. Wake also just has an interesting narrative mechanic while DP, besides its odd storyline, is just told in the most boilerplate dull rear end loving way.

Being strange isn't enough to actually be "good" narratively or gameplay wise. Wake is a little more straight laced but its actual plot, hammy as it is, is still far more innovative and better told.
SWERY's newest pile of over indulgent garbage on the Bone is just further proof of this.
I never understood the love for that game. It's completely unplayable trash that doesn't even run right half the time with a plot that isn't nearly as in-depth as people make it out to be.

:agreed:

Content: I am so glad that Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate got rid of the loving terrible underwater combat from 3.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Lord Lambeth posted:

It really, really is. Play it! Everyone play it! You, over there, have you played it? You have? Do it again!!

You're not truly finished RE4 until you've got all of the crazy weapons, Ashley in the suit of armour, and it's like your 3rd or 4th playthrough.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

*pulls sunglasses off face coolguylike* what do you clowns think this is... a thread about liking video games? i'll show you fuckers. you are going to regret the day you messed with me you bitch assholes

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Anatharon posted:

Speaking of, did the DD sequel turn into that Japan only MMO?

Seems so.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Polaron posted:

Seems so.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And the worst is it looks really good. At the very minimum it plays like more Dragma, but with friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I'm interested in seeing how it turns out but initially it really felt like someone wished for a DD sequel on a monkey's paw.