Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone
I did the boat level on Hard today. Now I'm back to not liking this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So I unlocked fantastic, but I don't know what I did and the description isn't any help. Nowhere I can find describes it either.

EDIT: Whoever said you get more points for non lethal evan runs, I got a D+ and normally I get a c on that map.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 20, 2015

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.

Shoehead posted:

Oh yeah I'm ok with that change, but right before that there's a synth solo and it's pitched higher or something and it throws me every single time.

I listen to a lot of stuff like the soundtrack while I draw to focus so I must have heard the original hundreds of times so it's kinda like hearing the wrong words in your favourite song.

I think the pitched up synth solo was from an old version or something because the latest HM2 patch has "[Soundtrack] Fixed MP3 version of 'Sexualizer'" as an update note.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So I unlocked fantastic, but I don't know what I did and the description isn't any help. Nowhere I can find describes it either.

Complete a level with every Fan. Deathwish doesn't count.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

Skunkrocker posted:

Complete a level with every Fan. Deathwish doesn't count.

Oh, the PC's that are actually wearing the masks. Until I read that they were supposed to be some group that worshiped Jacket, I never knew that they were fans of him. I don't know why I never made the connection.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The intro to Execution is downright ghastly. Especially since the level before is with the henchman.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I hadn't replayed HLM1 in like a year, but I turned on a long play of it while I did something else tonight. I now realize I had a very dumb view of the HLM1 storyline:

In HLM1, I thought Beard was part of the conspiracy getting Jacket to kill people. I thought all his free food and free stuff was the way he was passing hit money to Jacket to carry out missions. Now that I've played HLM2 I realize my grave error.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Aha, now there is an impetus to purchase the soundtrack - If you're like me and were freeloading on folder accidentally included with the pre-order, it seems like you won't receive the proper version of Sexualizer.mp3!

I mean, you could just use the FLAC, I guess. I don't really know the difference between FLAC and MP3 except the former is way huge.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

EDIT: Whoever said you get more points for non lethal evan runs, I got a D+ and normally I get a c on that map.

Are you unloading guns for extra points and combo multiplier?

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your way works too posted:

To clarify, every gun you disable as Evan counts as a kill.

Seems to me pistols and submachine guns are the quickest to unload, followed by the double barrel, followed by the rifles, followed by the goddamn pump action and it's six stupid loving rounds, so try to keep that in mind when going for combos.

Also keep in mind you can't attack, so that pump action will get you loving killed if you accidentally pick it up trying to grab a baseball bat.

*clickclickclickyoucan'tattackduringthisanimationrunmotherfuckerclickclickclick*

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...

I was not picking up the guns no. Combo multiplier, yes. Probably better multipliers than I did the first time through the level where I got a c. Normally I only get a d if I get no time bonus.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

I was not picking up the guns no. Combo multiplier, yes. Probably better multipliers than I did the first time through the level where I got a c. Normally I only get a d if I get no time bonus.

No I meant picking up the guns counts as a kill and thus extends and increases your combo multiplier. There are literally more points available in non-lethal.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

The sounds for disabling the guns is so satisfying. Again, never would've thought the non-lethal approach in Hotline Miami would be one of the most rewarding.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Again, picking up and disabling the guns adds to your combo multiplier because they count as kills.

Example:

If you attack six guys with a baseball bat in quick succession, you get a x6 combo multipler.

If they all have handguns, you then proceed to pick up all their handguns removing the magazines for an additional 6 added to your combo multiplier, giving you x12.

Again, though, if you're in the midst of combat picking up those guns can get you killed because you cannot attack during the disabling animation, but if you pick up the guns last you still can just add on to your existing combo very quickly.

EDIT:

vvv that is so loving dope vvv

Skunkrocker fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 20, 2015

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They released the full version of the song from the Payday-Hotline crossover DLC trailer :sax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjRAV2M1Kds

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Skunkrocker posted:

Again, though, if you're in the midst of combat picking up those guns can get you killed because you cannot attack during the disabling animation.

BUT you feel like the baddest motherfucker in the world. Please weigh these factors appropriately.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

If you'd like to give Simon Viklund a dollar for his contributions to good Hotline Miami-inspired music, you can do so at his Bandcamp! http://simonviklund.bandcamp.com/track/breath-of-death

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

BUT you feel like the baddest motherfucker in the world. Please weigh these factors appropriately.

Especially if you have done what I have done before, accidentally pick up a shotgun and avoid getting killed mid combat.

EDIT: you know Batman does that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdU00GC91pU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

repiv posted:

They released the full version of the song from the Payday-Hotline crossover DLC trailer :sax:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjRAV2M1Kds

Ffffffffffffff this is good....

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Geight posted:

The sounds for disabling the guns is so satisfying. Again, never would've thought the non-lethal approach in Hotline Miami would be one of the most rewarding.

CHK
CHK
CHK
CHK
CHK
CHK

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Anatharon posted:

CHK
CHK
CHK
CHK
CHK
CHK

Also a fan of CHK-CHK-PING from unloading pistols and rifles.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I tried to make a picture of Evan wearing Nigel but you can't see his face at all through the mask.

It's annoying that he has no knockout with the chain. :argh:

Also Dennis Wedin tweeted that Jacket will be available for the level maker.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Mar 20, 2015

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Anatharon posted:

CHK
CHK
CHK
CHK
CHK
CHK

finally, an appropriate non-sexual context to use the phrase 'violently pumping'

Master of Stealth
Oct 12, 2012

MAKE WAY NEW STARS posted:

Transitioning to the final floor on the penultimate level hardlocked my Vita, woo

Yup, this just happened to me twice. I think I'm done with this game for a while.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Master of Stealth posted:

Yup, this just happened to me twice. I think I'm done with this game for a while.

That's especially great because that floor is just a cutscene.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
More than anything in this game, combo score matters. You can kill every enemy in the most point-rich way possible, but if you're not stringing them together into huge combos it won't make a difference.

Don't worry so much about score, just try to kill as many people as quickly as you can. Get a rough feel for where enemies are and where they might be and spray your guns in their direction. Chances are if you miss, they'll be running for you anyway.

If you can get at least one or two big combo chains going (Depending on the length of the level), you'll get an A (or -/+) rank.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
you can leave every weapon on the ground until you have one goon remaining, then unload them all for a crazy multiplier when you kill the last dude

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So is the other member of the military unit Jacket?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So is the other member of the military unit Jacket?

Yes

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
For the life of me I can't figure out how to get more than a B- on the First Trial. It's infuriating. What the hell's the secret?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MONKET posted:

For the life of me I can't figure out how to get more than a B- on the First Trial. It's infuriating. What the hell's the secret?

You can combo the entirity of both floors together. The key is unloading guns at the right time (ie between one enemy and another).

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
A little over an hour later, I finally complete Jake's first level on hard mode and I feel like the best person at video games.

e: Beat Act 1. Hard mode should not feel this rewarding.

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 20, 2015

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Anal Surgery posted:

I hadn't replayed HLM1 in like a year, but I turned on a long play of it while I did something else tonight. I now realize I had a very dumb view of the HLM1 storyline:

In HLM1, I thought Beard was part of the conspiracy getting Jacket to kill people. I thought all his free food and free stuff was the way he was passing hit money to Jacket to carry out missions. Now that I've played HLM2 I realize my grave error.

Lots of people thought that for awhile during HM1, the "free food" would be a good excuse to sneak this guy like some crazy drugs to keep him going on psychotic rampages for you or whatever.

But that theory goes out the window when Richter kills Beard and takes his place and then later when you play as biker, you should realize that's all hosed up.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Replaying this and getting A+s without much difficulty on all the levels that I got Cs on as I forced my way through the first time. This game is so loving good. I forgot about this track but I think its my favorite in the game, it only plays for a brief interlude before Soldier's first mission.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Fuligin posted:

Replaying this and getting A+s without much difficulty on all the levels that I got Cs on as I forced my way through the first time. This game is so loving good. I forgot about this track but I think its my favorite in the game, it only plays for a brief interlude before Soldier's first mission.

I really love the scene that this youtube uses a looping video for the song. The way everything and everyone is calm and peaceful, the waves changing color every now and then, the presence of surfboards and a cooler like it was just a day at the beach. I really think this is a beautiful game.

Geight fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 20, 2015

Plastic Goldbaby
Sep 8, 2010

Purple horseshoes?
Sure, if they be nailed to a golden horse.

Geight posted:

I really love the scene that this youtube uses a looping video for the song. The way everything and everyone is calm and peaceful, the waves changing color every now and then, the presence of surfboards and a cooler like it was just a day at the beach. I really think this is a beautiful game.

It's also perfect for the scene because during it Beard mentions he wants to start up a convenience store after the war, and the track is a remixed version of the music that plays in HM1 during the scenes where you get food/drugs from Beard's store. The only part of the game that gave me actual chills.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Plastic Goldbaby posted:

It's also perfect for the scene because during it Beard mentions he wants to start up a convenience store after the war, and the track is a remixed version of the music that plays in HM1 during the scenes where you get food/drugs from Beard's store. The only part of the game that gave me actual chills.

You sure about that? The song's Rust, and the first game was Daisuke.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Anatharon posted:

You sure about that? The song's Rust, and the first game was Daisuke.

Rust isn't a remix, but it's very similar.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I will defend this game to the death except for the first screen of Dead Ahead. I don't even mind the latter ones! Room full of fat guys and gun-users? Whatever. Five entrenched dudes with guns is just frustrating, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I never had issue with dead ahead. It was pretty easy to use cover to avoid those guys.

• Locked thread