Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

why is the brand and model of your CPU given such prominent placement in task manager

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Pinterest Mom posted:

why is the brand and model of your CPU given such prominent placement in task manager

Lmao if you dont define yourself by the cpu in your pro rig

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the new start menu/screen/whatever is hideous. its far too transparent.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

seriously though it's a legacy of the intel/amd brand wars of the late 90s and early 00s.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

remember wintel?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

duTrieux. posted:

remember wintel?

remember when cyrix and amd put windows logos on their cpus

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Beeftweeter posted:

remember when cyrix and amd put windows logos on their cpus

*sighs wryly* i remember the fuckin winchip bro

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pinterest Mom posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if it was because of :20bux:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

computer parts posted:

i wouldn't be surprised if it was because of :20bux:

it only does that on amd to constantly shame the user for their poor decision making skills

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

it only does that on amd to constantly shame the user for their poor decision making skills

pfft whatever I got 6 cores. SIX :smug:

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
on my defense i didn't actually buy or chose this cpu

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

IMPRESSIVE

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

the best part is when it warns you that dozens of reboots will be necessary, dont miss that

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

woooooooooooooooo nelly

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

vmware tools is all hosed up for win10 again or something but yeah this sure is a pos

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

shadow puppet of a posted:

the best part is when it warns you that dozens of reboots will be necessary, dont miss that

sit back and relax

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

sit back and relax

Just a little more...

search is represented by a white circle now i guess instead of like, a magnifying glass

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sit back and relax

just think of england

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Luigi Thirty posted:

search is represented by a white circle now i guess instead of like, a magnifying glass
small price to pay for finally having a bundle of pci cards, UARTs and mp3 folders call to you aloud by your forums name

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

well at least there's one start button again. oh wait, there's a start button, a search box, and a multiple desktops button. well, the Windows Chicago '94 beta had three start buttons too so I guess that's okay

the new icons are even flatter and more jarring. the start menu is full of @{microsoft...} but hey they redid the Windows Feedback app again

Documents
Documents

Local Disk (C:)
Local Disk (C:)

let's get some feedback

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

the best thing they could do at this point is just admit windows 7 was peak windows and release service packs for it eternally

this is the least likely outcome

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

AWWNAW posted:

the best thing they could do at this point is just admit windows 7 was peak windows and release service packs for it eternally

eagerly awaiting the announcement that Windows 7 support is being extended because businesses don't want to move off of it

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

AWWNAW posted:

what they need to do is bolt the windows 7 desktop ui onto the updated internals with metro poo poo only available if you intentionally turn it on

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Luigi Thirty posted:

well at least there's one start button again. oh wait, there's a start button, a search box, and a multiple desktops button. well, the Windows Chicago '94 beta had three start buttons too so I guess that's okay

That's clearly start, search eyeball, and help/tooltip (for when you just can't wait 4 seconds to know what will pop up when you mouseover something)

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

?/!

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

i switched my region to russia from us and cortane did the whole gently caress you i'm out thing and the hole icon got replaced with a magnified glass icon which worked more or less the same, minus some retarded bullshit like weather

impressive

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/17/8231381/sxsw-creative-control-benjamin-dickinson-interview-vr-movie

"Benjamin Dickinson: "This is gonna change everything! After this, there will be no more human suffering, because we'll all be able to play video games on our glasses! We'll never have to deal with the confusing aspects of life, like death, or overly complicated emotions!" That narrative's ridiculous. Have you seen the ad that Microsoft did for the HoloLens?

It's almost like a parody of itself. It starts out in black and white, and — this is amazing — he puts the glasses on, and everything is in color. (Laughs) But isn't that exactly what [Creative Control] is criticizing? The aesthetics of it. I mean, I couldn’t believe it when I watched it, I was like, you handed this to me on a silver platter, Microsoft! The inspirational music starts, there are smiling, beautiful people — that is so funny to me.

It seems disconnected with reality, because most of our interactions with our devices are for very mundane things.

It's a hammer. You know what I mean? It's a hammer or a knife.
"

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

sit back and relax

Why. Why is there no period at the end

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Millstone posted:

Why. Why is there no period at the end

relax

dont do it

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

sorry for cross posting this everywhere, but its kind of my personal obsession

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2015-03-20-xbox-for-sale-the-rumours-just-wont-quit

quote:

All those rumours about Microsoft talking to Amazon about unloading the Xbox division came to nothing only a few short months ago, after all. GDC saw all manner of talk about Xbox One's place in the Windows 10 ecosystem; Spencer repeatedly mentioned the division having Nadella's backing, and then there's the recent acquisition of Minecraft, which surely seems like an odd thing to take place if the position of Xbox within the Microsoft family is still up in the air. Isn't this all settled now?

Perhaps not, because the rumours just won't stop swirling that Microsoft had quietly put Xbox on the market and is actively hunting for a buyer. During GDC and ever since, the question of who will come to own Xbox has been posed and speculated upon endlessly.

they are finally taking down the neat-o playground fort steve ballmer had built in the woods behind the redmond campus at a cost of billions of dollars of shareholder money

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Windows 10 Pro will be able to run on devices with 7 inch or larger screens while the consumer version of Windows 10 for desktop will only be available on devices with 8 inch or larger screens. Both will have a minimum screen resolution of 800 x 600 pixels.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

PleasureKevin posted:

Windows 10 Pro will be able to run on devices with 7 inch or larger screens while the consumer version of Windows 10 for desktop will only be available on devices with 8 inch or larger screens. Both will have a minimum screen resolution of 800 x 600 pixels.

how many committee meetings do you think it took to settle on these exact restrictions?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

does anyone even buy poo poo windows tablets and if they do, why :psyduck:

also lol 800x600 boldly going into noname andorid chinese poo poo from 2011 territory

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

PleasureKevin posted:

so the version that doesn't include the desktop is called Win10 Pro wtf

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
"The problem was that Windows RT wasn't taken seriously, so we have to address this with Windows 10."

"How about we call it Win 10 Seriously Professional?"

"Say hello to your new corner office Brad!"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

minimum ram depends on screen size

The smartphone version of Windows 10 will be able to run on devices with 3 to 7.99 inches that have at least 512MB of RAM and at least 4GB of storage. They’ll also need support for UEFI 2.3.1 with Secure Boot enabled and a processor that supports DirectX 9.

Those are the minimum specs for a phone with an 800 x 480 pixel display. Devices with higher-resolution screens will need more RAM:

2560 x 2048 or higher = at least 4GB
2048 x 1152 to 2560 x 1660 = at least 3GB
1440 x 900 to 1920 x 1200 = at least 2GB
960 x 540 to 1366 x 768 = at least 1GB

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
windows 10 phones? are they serious

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cthulhoo posted:

does anyone even buy poo poo windows tablets and if they do, why :psyduck:

also lol 800x600 boldly going into noname andorid chinese poo poo from 2011 territory

a bunch of people in this very thread were talking about how they planned to do exactly this

because they are idiots

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Maximum Leader posted:

windows 10 phones? are they serious

it's the same branding and kernel across all devices now, same with w8 and w8phone

so far just metro though, no desktop on phones

so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

the rumors of ms triyng to spin away xbox explains why all of a sudden the xbox division is trying to integrate its turds to windows proper

i'm kinda slow to not have caught that from the start i realize

• Locked thread