Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I just noticed that everyone in History of Trunks has correctly referred to 17 and 18 as 'Cyborgs'.

e: I'd like to add that I really like whoever they've got voicing Adult Gohan, because he also sounds like he could make an amazing Great Saiyaman.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tae posted:

Q: Can Hercule shoot Ki or Fly

A: No

He is worse than Yamcha, who isn't even top 50 strongest in DBZ

I dunno, his daughter trained hard too and she could be taught to fly. She didn't think he was a fake or anything, maybe if she didn't get assassinated and replaced with a wifebot she could've learned to shoot Ki too.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

YggiDee posted:

I just noticed that everyone in History of Trunks has correctly referred to 17 and 18 as 'Cyborgs'.

Well, we call them Androids.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

YggiDee posted:

Which is strange because the future should know less about the origins of the Cyborgs than the past who has their blueprints. That and Future Trunks originally said they were Androids.

Tae posted:

Q: Can Hercule shoot Ki or Fly

A: No

He is worse than Yamcha, who isn't even top 50 strongest in DBZ

There are Freeza goons who rely on wrist mounted blasters. I'm sure there is one who relies on a jetpack to fly too or simply can't fly. He's probably weak enough for Hercule to beat.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It really sucks just how far Gohan has fallen, but you really can't compare him to Yamcha. Gohan actually killed a major villain once, that's way more than Yamcha(or most of the supporting cast really) has ever done.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Hercule has the power of hype. In this way, he is the strongest.

Gohan became weak because he stopped fighting fish and started fighting crime.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Covok posted:

Which is strange because the future should know less about the origins of the Cyborgs than the past who has their blueprints. That and Future Trunks originally said they were Androids.
Not in TFS land.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
In TFS Goku got confused about Androids and Cyborgs and everyone else just rolled with it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
If only there was a singular word in English that referred to both Androids and Cyborgs without making implications on their origins.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

'Thingies'

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

I honestly can't blame Gohan for taking it easy once he was no longer the one everybody expected to save the Earth. The kid had a supremely hosed up childhood and deserves to stay out of that sort of thing if he wants.

The kid had experienced so much loss and pain in his short lifespan that he managed to go Super Saiyan without an actual traumatic experience to trigger it. He managed to have an emotional event on par with Goku losing his best friend to a murderer with nothing more than his loving imagination before hitting his teenage years.

I think he's earned the right to slack off on his training and gently caress the daughter of the guy who took credit for his greatest achievement.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Gohan's a good boy, and bad things happen to him often.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Zonekeeper posted:

I honestly can't blame Gohan for taking it easy once he was no longer the one everybody expected to save the Earth. The kid had a supremely hosed up childhood and deserves to stay out of that sort of thing if he wants.

Yeah, the poor kid had his father figure(s) die in front of his eyes, like, four times? I actually don't think of Gohan as getting shafted because his character was always that he's just a normal dude despite having DBZ powers.

Covok posted:

If only there was a singular word in English that referred to both Androids and Cyborgs without making implications on their origins.

I like Android because names like "Android Eighteen" sound the coolest.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
13, 14, 15, 16, and 19 are Androids at least. 17, 18, and 20 are Cyborgs due to previously being human, while Cell is a Bio-Android.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 20, 2015

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm not really surprised that Gohan took it easy in the intervening years, though I'm a little more surprised that Piccolo didn't periodically drop dinosaurs on his lawn to keep him from slacking.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

YggiDee posted:

I'm not really surprised that Gohan took it easy in the intervening years, though I'm a little more surprised that Piccolo didn't periodically drop dinosaurs on his lawn to keep him from slacking.

Gohan is a friend to the dinosaurs though. So they probably wouldn't even try to attack him.

Edit: Or maybe that was just dragons?

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Gohan is a friend to the dinosaurs though. So they probably wouldn't even try to attack him.

Edit: Or maybe that was just dragons?

They'll attack until they get tired of him taking parts of their tail and eating it for breakfast.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sending dinosaurs against Gohan, even out of practice, is like sending Hercule against Cell. It just isn't fair.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I picked dinosaurs mostly for the mental image of a green alien dude bringing weekly monster deliveries, but Piccolo doesn't seem to have much else to do all day so I wouldn't think he'd let his only favorite student get rusty.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Gohan has a cute baby daughter to distract him with now. He probably made Piccolo the kids godfather.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Actually, I wonder why Piccolo doesn't just jump out and attack Gohan to keep him on his feet:

*Working in the office late at night. "Ah, just a few more pages and my thesis on Ki will be com-"

*Bursts through the window and kicks Gohan in the head* "Dodge!"

---

*Having a coffee at not-starbucks in the morning.* "You know, it's a pretty good morning. Honestly, I feel like today is gonna go we--"

*Bursts from the wall behind and punches Gohan in the back of the head* "Dodge!"

---

*Walking down the street with his dukes up* "Ok, I know you're here. I can sense you. You're not getting me this---"

*Bursts through the ground and uppercuts Gohan* "Dodge!"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Now I'm annoyed that there was a huge missed opportunity and partly a reason why I didn't like GT. Replace Trunks with Piccolo, have him reminiscence about raising Gohan, and generally having an actual adult on the trip instead of Pan being the most mature (which is the lowest bar possible).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

YggiDee posted:

I picked dinosaurs mostly for the mental image of a green alien dude bringing weekly monster deliveries, but Piccolo doesn't seem to have much else to do all day so I wouldn't think he'd let his only favorite student get rusty.

Everytime he shows up he ends up staying for dinner instead and not accomplishing his original objective.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Everytime he shows up he ends up staying for dinner instead and not accomplishing his original objective.

Yeah that sounds like Piccolo alright.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
That was my one complaint on History of Trunks abridged. Gohan's "fly up" line is obviously a callback to "climb down" but the tone and timing (how long he holds the words) don't mirror Piccolo's so it actually took a moment for it to kick in "oh it's a callback" and then the moment for funny had passed.

Also Piccolo mispronounced makankosappo. I literally only noticed because I was playing Xenoverse in Japanese just for shits and giggles and Special Beam Cannon is my favorite ultimate.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Hasn't Piccolo being unable to say the move's name right been a joke since the very beginning?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You kind of have to love that Gohan with about ten extra years of training (counting hyperbolic time chamber) dies like a jerk to two weaker androids, but his past self ends up beating Cell.

You'd think everyone he knew and loved actually dying would have been a bigger drive.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I'm glad Gohan was able to move on with his life, he never wanted to fight anyway. I mean, what good is Goku if the world's not in danger? Ox King's money can only support so many people.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Flagrama posted:

Hasn't Piccolo being unable to say the move's name right been a joke since the very beginning?

Yeah but it wasn't played for laughs, it was the traditional "put the stress on the 2nd to last syllable" thing.

Japanese has no stress, but the closest I could put the correct pronunciation would be "makankósappo".

If you don't understand Spanish or the function of the tildes, :frogout:

...we need a frog that says "vete" :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

I'm glad Gohan was able to move on with his life, he never wanted to fight anyway. I mean, what good is Goku if the world's not in danger? Ox King's money can only support so many people.

Aren't they basically broke by the Great Saiyaman saga?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I thought the point of the correct pronunciation was to show that Gohan was just imagining Piccolo in his head.

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Zore posted:

You kind of have to love that Gohan with about ten extra years of training (counting hyperbolic time chamber) dies like a jerk to two weaker androids, but his past self ends up beating Cell.

You'd think everyone he knew and loved actually dying would have been a bigger drive.

Future Gohan couldn't tap into his rage pool as well. All the horror of the timeline probably forced him to emotionally harden like other Saiyans. Also Toriyama probably didnt have SSJ2 thought up yet.

Edit:Also apparently Future Gohan didnt use the HBTC.

Bacontotem fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Makankosappo is an esdrújula, god drat it, and fie on those who say otherwise.

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

I like that Piccolo mispronounces it. That's the Piccolo in Gohan's head, so technically it's Gohan mispronouncing it. Considering he's probably only heard the technique's name a couple times when Piccolo wasn't giving up and calling it "special beam cannon", I'll give him a pass.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Endorph posted:

"Will dinner bring my husband back!?"
"... Maybe!?"

"Your just replacing Dad with Gohan."

"NO! I TRIED REPLACING HIM WITH GOHAN!"

Zore posted:

He had a lot less training partners and with everyone already dead, less reason to go SSJ.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It might be Trunks' fault Gohan didn't go SSJ2, aside from probably not meeting the power qualifications. I mean, Gohan's whole deal is letting his rage explode, but the Androids came out of nowhere and killed everyone. If he goes off in a rage and dies, there's not much Trunks or anyone will be able to do.

Also, why didn't the Z-Fighters team up against the Androids? :psyduck:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, why didn't the Z-Fighters team up against the Androids? :psyduck:

They did, they died. Consider Vegeta in the main timeline wasn't strong enough to beat 18, think how much faster everyone died back in Future Trunk's timeline.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Tae posted:

They did, they died. Consider Vegeta in the main timeline wasn't strong enough to beat 18, think how much faster everyone died back in Future Trunk's timeline.

The Future Androids are weaker than the main timeline versions, but way more murderhappy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The Future Z-Warriors did not train for a year to prepare. They were much weaker than their main timeline counterparts during the Android attack. Luckily, Goku was still alive and Trunk's presence and actions caused a butterfly affect so the Androids both had the ability to fullfill their programming and an extra Android to remind them of their primary duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

BattleCattle posted:

I like that Piccolo mispronounces it. That's the Piccolo in Gohan's head, so technically it's Gohan mispronouncing it. Considering he's probably only heard the technique's name a couple times when Piccolo wasn't giving up and calling it "special beam cannon", I'll give him a pass.

it sounded more like TFS mispronouncing it unintentionally that anything planned, but it isn't really a big deal to me. I just wouldn't go so far as to say it's something revealing about the character or plot since it seems obvious that it's an accidental latinization :shrug:

• Locked thread