Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
While I'm asking does anyone have recommendations for a good thumbpick? I have a pretty standard on in medium and it is to drat small but I can't find a large at the store for whatever reason. I had someone recommend bridge brand picks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

ZeusCannon posted:

While I'm asking does anyone have recommendations for a good thumbpick? I have a pretty standard on in medium and it is to drat small but I can't find a large at the store for whatever reason. I had someone recommend bridge brand picks?

http://www.guptillmusic.com/propik-metal-plastic-thumb-pick/

These are so nice, the metal stays put without clamping down and turning my thumb purple.

I actually use the thumb flat, I just like the shape better. I use it for banjo, guitar and electric guitar and it's awesome for all of them

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 28, 2015

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I like Golden Gate picks better than Nationals. One of these days, Ill splurge and get a Blue Chip pick. Look them up.

You can put your thumb picks in hot water briefly, then shape them to your thumb a bit better. Earl says score the insides of them so they stick to your thumb better.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Slimchandi posted:

Spoiler: they were amazing!

http://youtu.be/joo34y_9pQ8

Awesome! I hope they make it out here

Heading to my first jam in a long while tomorrow. I expect I will know about 3 songs since jams seem to really vary regionally in preferences

e. as expected, I knew few of the songs (very different preferences to those in the jams I have attended in California here in Calgary), but I have many in my Dix Bruce Parking Lot Pickers volume and the melodies are pretty simple so its time for some intensive ear training! Then hit Niles' books to start building my ability to improvise over those.

I can do this. Just have to keep going back!

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 30, 2015

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kilometers Davis posted:

Definitely take a look into old time clawhammer songs. There's a rich history of good slower songs with that meditative idea you mentioned. I love playing fast bluegrass and such but there's something really special about playing old songs and looking up their history. Banjo music is great for submerging yourself and getting a little taste of the past. It puts my mind in a nice place.

Agreed. The clawhammer banjo on the tune Riding off into the Sunset here is just amazing. Sadly I can only find that snippet but you can get the while tune on iTunes I think.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I really have to try and learn clawhammer. But I'm still working on not sucking horribly at picking. Keeping the streak of dumb questions alive is there a reason my banjo might have 21 frets instead of 22? It just seems strange and my teacher doesn't have an answer beyond "why not have 21" Which is fine it is just an oddity I keep noticing and every source quotes either 19 frets or 22 as the standards.

Tldr I am troubled by my lack of frets

Edit: Also I am picking up one of those propiks as early as I can looks about 100% more comfortable

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 30, 2015

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Man I would be happy if my banjo only had 12 frets, I almost never go above the 12th one

Speaking of that, do you guys have thoughts on popping out frets and scooping out the neck? I have a pretty cheap banjo, for what it's worth. Almost exclusively play clawhammer.

I just can't drone on the high string over the neck, I always end up banging my thumb against the neck, and I'd like to be able to play over the neck cuz it sounds cool

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Who can tell me things about Irish banjo? My guitar playing has been more and more focused on traditional, and I was about to buy one of those 6 string banjo-tuned-like-a-guitar things but my friend gave me his old 5 string that's been sitting around since he got his new nicer Fender a few years ago. I don't know how much variation there is, I've seen GDGBD for 5 string but I've read GDAE is the way to go for Irish stuff, what of the 5th string then? Dubliners style will be my main focus, but more Luke and less Barney, I'll be singing along.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

codo27 posted:

Who can tell me things about Irish banjo? My guitar playing has been more and more focused on traditional, and I was about to buy one of those 6 string banjo-tuned-like-a-guitar things but my friend gave me his old 5 string that's been sitting around since he got his new nicer Fender a few years ago. I don't know how much variation there is, I've seen GDGBD for 5 string but I've read GDAE is the way to go for Irish stuff, what of the 5th string then? Dubliners style will be my main focus, but more Luke and less Barney, I'll be singing along.

Look up Enda Scahill. He is an awesome player and has great instructional material. Technique is a bit more like mando but if you are comfortable with a plectrum that is a good start. Luke Kelly played a lot of clawhammer I believe, so that would better suit a five string if that is your aim.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

PoorPeteBest posted:

Look up Enda Scahill. He is an awesome player and has great instructional material. Technique is a bit more like mando but if you are comfortable with a plectrum that is a good start. Luke Kelly played a lot of clawhammer I believe, so that would better suit a five string if that is your aim.

I don't have an Irish tenor banjo, but I have Enda Scahill's "Irish Banjo Tutor" book and CD - it was a gift from an Irish tenor player. Just a note on this text, it doesn't have tablature. Rather, it has musical notation, but the names of the notes are just above the notes on the staff. Since the mandolin and tenor banjo are tuned the same, I use it to teach myself Irish mandolin.

codo 27 posted:

I was about to buy one of those 6 string banjo-tuned-like-a-guitar things but my friend gave me his old 5 string that's been sitting around since he got his new nicer Fender a few years ago. I don't know how much variation there is, I've seen GDGBD for 5 string but I've read GDAE is the way to go for Irish stuff, what of the 5th string then? Dubliners style will be my main focus, but more Luke and less Barney, I'll be singing along.

I think you made the right choice. Does it have a resonator or no? You can play either style (Scruggs or Clawhammer) on an open back 5 or a resonator 5. I've never tried tuning a 5 string banjo to GDAE (low --> high) like a tenor banjo is tuned. Since the neck is shorter on a tenor, you're probably not going to want to get the strings on your 5 to the same tension as on a tenor. If you want to tune the 4 strings like a tenor, tune them at a lower octave and mess around with it. May not be a bad idea to get it looked at and set up, depending on what kind it is. Definitely put new strings on it and make sure the head is the right tension.

Luke Kelly did play a lot of clawhammer, and you can learn Dubliners style tunes on the 5 string, but you aren't going to get a true Irish tenor banjo sound out of a 5 string. With that said, just have fun and learn some tunes and don't let it stop you. I play "Dirty Old Town" on my 5 string resonator Pogues style and mess around with "Maids when you're young" and "Nancy Whisky" by The Dubliners. Great band, great songs.

Look at this clip,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5StzrUgmBc

Luke is playing rhythm on the 5 string, but the guy next to him is playing lead lines on a 4 string tenor.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I already sing Maids When You're Young in our band, but with guitar. We have one guy who plays everything he ever picked up, and a whole bunch of guitar players. I'm looking to add another dimension, at least I can accompany on banjo when he is playing guitar. I finger pick mostly now, so maybe I'm better off getting a tenor later on

It has a resonator.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Then a 5 string sounds like a nice addition to your ensemble. You can always play lead lines on the 5 string too.

red_dirt
Apr 26, 2014

by Shine
Anybody have any suggestions for adapting heavier music to 5-string clawhammer style? Jim Arkus does an outstanding job ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3lvKZZB_Ss ), but most others I've seen either lose the feel of the song, or wind up playing the same way they would a guitar and lose the feel of the banjo. I mostly play "old-time", but I'm looking to expand a little. I recently picked up a electric banjo (and restrung the low-E of an electric guitar with high-G), and it's not being used to its potential.

F hole
May 13, 2008

I want to share with you guys the banjo I got this weekend. I found it locally on craigslist from a film editor in LA who was clearing out his studio in preparation for a move.

In the ad he said he thought it came from a gibson made sometime in the early 60's but the diamond cutouts on the flange and the serial number I had him check were clear indicators for a TB-1 style 1 banjo from 1927. Somewhere in its lifetime a previous owner converted it from a tenor to a five string and had a mock gibson neck (with no truss rod) bolted to it. These weren't mastertone models and so this one is missing the tone ring and has a brass hoop instead. The tailpiece has been swapped out with something no-name.

I got it for an amazing price. The owner said he bought it from a preacher in the 80's that was using it for his church band, and after that it just sat in his closet collecting dust. I'm calling it the blessed one.

I'm torn about what I should do with it. I could get a tone ring and have a luthier do the full conversion to a poor-man's prewar mastertone, or I could keep it as is for its really mellow sound.

F hole fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 25, 2015

red_dirt
Apr 26, 2014

by Shine
I've never seen a 5th string capo like that. It look like overkill.

F hole
May 13, 2008

red_dirt posted:

I've never seen a 5th string capo like that. It look like overkill.

It's a Vega-Pitman sliding Capo, Probably from the 60's or 70's Here's a better view of it:

It sounds good and although it's just held on with the spring tension of the wire it doesn't feel flimsy at all.

I still haven't made up my mind about it. Since the neck is a knockoff I have no qualms about ripping it out and putting in spikes instead. I play melodically with a lot of thumb and although it's thin enough that I can reach over the metal beam, it still feels like its getting in the way.

F hole fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 26, 2015

red_dirt
Apr 26, 2014

by Shine
Do you install your own spikes? I've been unwilling to try it myself, though I hear it's easy. I rarely play with a capo though.

F hole
May 13, 2008

I would never mess around with that myself unless I had a beater banjo I could try it with first.

The price of getting spikes put in is anywhere between 15 to 40 dollars, which compared to the price of a decent banjo is nothing. IMO it's absolutely worth the cost of having a pro doing it, although those who have successfully done it themselves would surely disagree.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

F hole posted:

I would never mess around with that myself unless I had a beater banjo I could try it with first.

The price of getting spikes put in is anywhere between 15 to 40 dollars, which compared to the price of a decent banjo is nothing. IMO it's absolutely worth the cost of having a pro doing it, although those who have successfully done it themselves would surely disagree.

I found it very painless. Make a starter hole with a dremel and a very small drill bit and then gently pound the spike in to the appropriate height. No chipping or other damage.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

red_dirt posted:

Anybody have any suggestions for adapting heavier music to 5-string clawhammer style? Jim Arkus does an outstanding job, but most others I've seen either lose the feel of the song, or wind up playing the same way they would a guitar and lose the feel of the banjo. I mostly play "old-time", but I'm looking to expand a little. I recently picked up a electric banjo (and restrung the low-E of an electric guitar with high-G), and it's not being used to its potential.
Holy crap, just listened to his cover of King of Spain. Really good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbDoGifpF2o

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anyone ever dealt with Elderly Instruments? Trying to pick up a tuning wrench but never dealt with them before.

Edit: vvvvv Thanks!

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 2, 2015

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
I have ordered books to the UK and they have excellent service for me.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
I've not dealt with Elderly personally, but anecdotes from friends who have are overwhelmingly positive.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I love Elderly, I've always had great service.

Just a heads up, you can use small automotive wrenches for tightening your banjo head. 1/4", 5/16", and 9/32" should cover just about everything and these are readily available at just about any hardware store

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well poo poo. Haha oh well I picked up a three way to leave in my banjo bag. No real loss but I will def remember that in the future.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
My fretting hand isn't where I want it to be. I feel like I've gotten past true beginner problems with reach and positioning, but my accuracy is still off. A hammer on will land on the wrong fret, or I won't hit a string cleanly and it will mute the note. Worse, I feel like I'm not getting any better by practicing songs. Are there fingering exercises I can do to work on accuracy? Or do I just need to slow down. It's always a matter of slowing down...

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Make sure you are fretting in the right place, just behind the fret, close to it - if you don't do this, you may get muted notes. That may help. I was told recently that I need to improve on this as well, as if you fret just behind the fret it lessens the need for a lot of pressure and accuracy and note clarity could improve a bit just by doing that.

Yes, slow down. What are you trying to play? Maybe try practicing a new song to mix it up.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Planet X posted:

Make sure you are fretting in the right place, just behind the fret, close to it - if you don't do this, you may get muted notes. That may help. I was told recently that I need to improve on this as well, as if you fret just behind the fret it lessens the need for a lot of pressure and accuracy and note clarity could improve a bit just by doing that.

Yes, slow down. What are you trying to play? Maybe try practicing a new song to mix it up.

I've got a book of fiddle songs that I'm trying to learn. I've got about four memorized. Whenever I get bored with whatever I'm trying to learn, I just start playing the songs I already know. Invariably I gently caress up a note or two here and there, usually not the same thing. I can't pinpoint any particular problem, just that it's not good enough.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ZeusCannon posted:

Anyone ever dealt with Elderly Instruments? Trying to pick up a tuning wrench but never dealt with them before.

Nicest most decent people in the world, I love dealing with them. I also managed to catch a late night special/infomercial thing about the shop and it made me love them even more. They seem to genuinely love what they do.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I play mandolin, bass and a little guitar as well. I was given a clawhammer banjo which I was wicked excited about, but it's been a challenge to learn. I can't afford private lessons so I've been teaching myself. I was curious does anyone know what the best video series is to learn the clawhammer? I can spend a little bit of money on video-lessons because I really want to learn this instrument, but the few youtube tutorials I've looked up haven't been much use.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
Rocket science banjo has a huge run of clawhammer instructional videos that might be useful. Clawhammer's been on my list of things to learn for a long time but I've never gotten to it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pantomime Horse posted:

Rocket science banjo has a huge run of clawhammer instructional videos that might be useful. Clawhammer's been on my list of things to learn for a long time but I've never gotten to it.

I will definitely check this one out, thank you! Clawhammer banjo is a blast to play but very difficult to learn. I know a tiny bit so that I can play a little at the end of the day and have a great time with it, but it's very slow learning to get the basic technique of the "claw" hand.

red_dirt
Apr 26, 2014

by Shine
It been posted before, but Mike Iverson's site is great (http://www.bluesageband.com/Tabs.html). His sound is what switched me over to clawhammer, and I like his tablature.

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

red_dirt posted:

It been posted before, but Mike Iverson's site is great (http://www.bluesageband.com/Tabs.html). His sound is what switched me over to clawhammer, and I like his tablature.
I printed out a few of his tabs and his notation and the flow of the songs I've tried have been great. I'm really new at this (bought a kala dolphin uke back in September, got a beautiful Deering Goodtime a little over a month ago) but it took me maybe an hour or so to get a feel for his version of Oh Susanna.

Originally I got the uke just to have something to do (never played a string instrument before) but found Aaron Keim's clawhammer videos and got his book. Once I got the basic strum down a bit there was really no turning back to playing it any other way. Unfortunately the amount of uke clawhammer content out there seemed a bit lacking it was clear I should just get a banjo.

I never wanted to just abandon ukulele, but the little kala barely makes any sound and my hands are a touch big for a soprano. Deering just put out their banjo-ukulele and I think I'm going to have to get one of these. It looks pretty amazing. http://www.deeringbanjos.com/pages/new-goodtime-banjo-ukulele

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

ZeusCannon posted:

Elderly is the best

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Kobayashi posted:

I've got a book of fiddle songs that I'm trying to learn. I've got about four memorized. Whenever I get bored with whatever I'm trying to learn, I just start playing the songs I already know. Invariably I gently caress up a note or two here and there, usually not the same thing. I can't pinpoint any particular problem, just that it's not good enough.

Do you practice with a metronome? Flubbing a note is a common thing, but keeping the song going is key--your little ticking friend will keep you honest on that

red_dirt
Apr 26, 2014

by Shine
Is that Deering Uke a new thing or an old thing? I haven't been able to find any for sale.

I just picked up a Deering Terry Baucom. It's going to make me play better right?

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

red_dirt posted:

Is that Deering Uke a new thing or an old thing? I haven't been able to find any for sale.
It's new. I haven't checked any local stores for one, but you can get it at elderly.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

red_dirt posted:

I just picked up a Deering Terry Baucom. It's going to make me play better right?

Nice. Post pics or a video of you playing? What about that model was appealing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red_dirt
Apr 26, 2014

by Shine
Local dealer carries Deering and Stelling (both well below Elderly prices). I preferred the sound of the Deerings in general and it came down to a choice between the Baucom and the Hartford (both higher end than I had planned on). I liked the look and feel of the Hartford (satin finish and much lighter), but the Baucom had a very slightly better sound to my poor ear. Honestly though, I still prefer the sound of my 40 year old aluminum body ODE.

I don't have any audio yet.

http://imgur.com/Nw35U5W

• Locked thread