Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

SpiritOfLenin posted:

I don't know why the GM chose 4th Edition, but "dying easily" isn't the core theme he is exploring there - it's more the feel of the setting, player characters stricken with the curse of undeath and thrown into a world they barely understand. We only have the vaguest ideas of what's going on in the main plot of the campaign for instance, and we started the game with basically zero setting info ("your characters have the curse of undeath in a fantasy world, and you paid for a trip to this island in the middle of nowhere because it calls to you"). I think I vaguely remember the GM picking 4th edition as the rules system as he wanted to prove a point about it, about how versatile it is or something like that.

Yeah, I buy it. Any giant monster fights so far?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: I should read the thread.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Mimir posted:

Yeah, I buy it. Any giant monster fights so far?

The closest has been the fight last session against two fairly big (but not giant sized - I think they were sorta Smough sized) sorta-kinda-not-really golems, one of which did the death-illusion. Most of the enemies we've fought against have been basically the campaign's version of hollows.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I love the wrestling RPG stories. :allears:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Another great campaign over.

What started as "Villains fight aliens" ended with Business Fish*, Miss Midnight and Armistice (a gorilla-armed, semi-prejudiced captain America) beating up City Defense's shadowy mastermind, Marshall Mayhem.

*Formerly "The Fish", now the owner of a chain of Fusion Bistros.

When her attempts at moralizing failed ("You kidnapped people! You have a starvation room! And the best argument you can make is equivocation?!"), their argument was interrupted by breaking news. The other-dimensional Cryptids were invading the shore; Alien Metalheads were trying to take away Glam Alien Prodigy, Phorener, and the Molemen were taking advantage with an uprising.

Midnight took over trying to direct traffic for Mayhem's collection of secret Suicide Squads. She had sort of betrayed the team (a ruse that lasted a minute and a half), so she figured she could imitate the Marshall's style.
This failed, however.
Then Armistice Stood Up.
Armistice burned his relationship with Miss Midnight to give an inspiring speech.
An Amazing Speech.
One broadcast across all the airwaves.
It made a bold statement:

Nobody really needed superheroes! The real heroes were cops, and firefighters, and baristas, and teachers.
They could take to the streets themselves!

...And they did.

Armed with everything from tire irons to loose cobblestones, the city rose up against the Molemen and the Aliens and the Mutated Crustacean monsters.

The group watched on a wall of monitors as civil order fell apart completely.

Hopefully they had proved a point.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 25, 2023

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Kibner posted:

I love the wrestling RPG stories. :allears:

As the guy who ran that clusterfuck, I was happy with how it turned out. Just set it up so that crazy poo poo could happen, and it did.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

C. Rebel Deveraux was drunk and that was part of the job.

"The Job" (as it was this week) was reporting for the Weekly Inquirer, a newspaper that was delighted by C. Rebel's stories of television stardom, traveling through time , and working at a car wash.

So she was covering Bella Donovan's new record release, "Bella sings the Winter Classics." It may have been March, and Bella (known for her late night horror revue than singing anything in particular,) may have been riotously drunk, but it was still a gig. C. Rebel's friend Jolene had gotten a gig as Bella's assistant as they prepared to sign copies for the up to 15 fans in line.

Rebel, conversely, was trying to get the story; she was drunk (as Gonzo reporters are supposed to be), but, knowing her own propensity for misadventures, had brought her hawk Talladega and a hunting crossbow. (The crossbow, she explained, was to get around state firearm laws. Its silent nature was just a bonus).

Bella played prima-donovan, demanding half a Coke and half a Pepsi mixed together. The store's assistant (Nancy Kwan) was eager to please, fulfilling every request (with options! in case Bella wanted thin or fat black candles, a real or cardboard coffin, good tequila or sale tequila). But when Cassie explained she was Bella's #1 fan, Nancy took it very badly.

The record store caught on fire. The city and Metropolitan fire crews argued and fought over jurisdiction, and when Cassie pushed the issue, she got slapped in the face.

She responded to the insult by pulling out the crossbow.

After a lot of explaining (and very little apologizing), someone screamed for help from the building's second story! Jolene set up the ladder, Bella fainted for attention and Cassie went up to the second floor, where she found an unresponsive Nancy. The Good Ol' Girl event eventually got Nancy out, dumped her in front of the now awake Bella, and said:
"#1 Fan."

Bella told her to find two vending machines.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 25, 2023

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
This week's session of 13th Age took on an unexpected turn with regards to rewards and questing. The party's spent most of the last few sessions in the cloudborne city of the storm giants, who are a pretty cool society but have a tendency towards arrogance and disdain for 'the smallfolk'. They've had enough time to get acquainted with how the city is run - a council of giant sages does most of the actual decision-making and governance, while a king oversees the proceedings. In practice, this means the king doesn't get to do a lot, and gets bored easily; in fact, when the party first came to the city they mistook him for one of the guards since he greeted them while wandering around and agreed to show them the way to their destination.

Today, needing a particular type of ore that the storm giants use in metalworking, the party went to requisition a few pieces from the sage in charge of craftsmen. The sage was generally unsympathetic to their proposal and agreed to let them have it only on the condition that they completed a difficult task (it would require the ability to traverse the clouds, which wasn't readily available to them, and would expose them to lots of dangerous wildlife). Dismayed, they left the office and went out onto the streets to form a plan, and about halfway through the brainstorming session the king wandered up and struck up a conversation.

The players, of course, saw an opportunity. They complained to the king about the task they'd been given, and asked if he could maybe do something about it; at the end of the spiel the paladin made a very good roll to convince him to help. Annoyed at the treatment his 'little friends' had received, he promised to help out, told them to wait for a second, and marched into the hall of craftsmen. The party was very pleased with themselves, assuming he'd yell at the sage and get them the ore they needed and the whole quest would be skipped...until the king came marching back out dressed like they were and disguised with a hood over his face and a full set of chainmail. He yelled about 'embarking on a grand adventure', raised his staff, and frog-marched them off to set forth.

As it turned out, this owned. Having him along didn't exactly break all the encounters, but he helped out a lot - reduced encounter difficulty by killing an enemy here and there, adjusted the travel time with his knowledge of the skyroads, occasionally gave a PC a boost up to a high surface, etc. By the time they got back with the task completed, everybody had gotten to hit the drinking horn and hear a story about how to properly wrangle a remorhaz. The ability to skip a quest and just get to the reward is nothing compared to being able to say you went on a drunken adventure with the king of the storm giants.

contagonist
Jul 21, 2014

You shouldn't be doing anything with fluorine.
Let's start with the Bob The Builder Saga.

This was back in the latter half of my Highschool years, when I still lived in a little desert town infamous for atomic weapons testing, teen pregnancy, and book burnings. There isn't much else to do when entropy is erupting out of the sidewalks to devour your works, oh Ozymandias. Unless you're a nerd, and outside of the electronic panoply the only games in town were Magic, Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh and other ways to transmute money into paper that is both worth less yet inspires far more greed, but I digress.

Around this time, we had our first Local Game Store spring up, that had a stock of German-style board games and miniatures games - Warhammer, Warmachine, etcetera. Now, I had got my first hit of 40K in a previous vacation to California, where I threw down some of the cash I scrounged together being an amateur scumbag on a Battle for Macragge starter. I played a few games with the siblings, but like all good addictions I of course wanted more - and people to do them with.

This was when I met Bob. We ran into each other at the GS, both of us eyeing the spess mehrines and started chatting - he ran Space Wolves, I a custom chapter. We liked Halo, and were bored frequently, so we became 'friends.'

The apostrophes do not mean that we hosed each other. He was my type, certainly, but he was also a raging rear end in a top hat to everyone other than me. To me, he was only a little bit of an rear end in a top hat, but when your criterion for a decent friend consists of "isn't hitting my face in with a brick" you can overlook a lot.

A while after we first met, I was hanging out at his place playing Halo 2 when I suggest that we use the gaming tables at that game store to play some Warhammer 40K. He got dodgy and made some noncommittal, unintelligible noises that I just shrugged off to general Human weirdness.

Against all expectation, another game store opened up closer to my house, which became my regular haunt. Bored Airforce guys with the Airforce money that was the only thing giving this town an economy also opted to make the place their headquarters for nerdery, and we got quite the 40K community going.

Which Bob latched onto as well, with incrementally more disastrous results.

It was through this venue and other conversations with the owner of the other game store that I learned just how much of a jackass Bob really was. He never held down a job for more than a few months, as his tenures at a paintball supply store and Gamestop ended with him being caught for embezzlement. He was booted out of the first game store for trying to steal a showcased Eldar army.

Apparently he had a small enough degree of sense to not fling his poo poo around the other game store. At the start.

Bob isn't his real name. He earned that in the middle of a 6 person Apocalypse game, of which both of us participated. We pud two of the 4x8 tables beside each other with some bridges connecting them, and fought over objectives of both sides of the table. It was actually a pretty cool set-up, but for some eldritch reason Bob opted to play the game between the two bridges, ergo constantly bumping into them, loving with them, and being a dick when told to just move to the sides of the table like a saner person.

It got bad enough that an EOD guy running the Necron army went, "Bob The Builder, the bridge is fine! Stop loving with it!" We laughed, he finally extricated himself from that most retarded position, and we continued playing.

Things went to "Ha ha ha" to "oh for fucks sake" the next time there was an apocalypse game. Actually, this was after the apocalypse game, when we were putting our minis away and watching Futurama or something on the store's TV. The Eldar player comes in asking people where his Eldar army was. We pointed to the few cases he had out, but he told us that the rest of his collection was in his car. Which he had left unlocked.

Now, one could go 'leaving your cocaine-expensive plastic toys in an unlocked car in a town where the highest paying job is $10 an hour' is a stupid decision, but it was nowhere near as stupid as what happened next.

Bob walked in.

rear end in a top hat Bob. Terrible liar Bob. Kleptomaniac Bob. Bob who was at the apocalypse game, but then left unannounced and only just returned Bob.

All eyes turned to Bob.

Eldar guy asked Bob if he knew anything about the missing Eldar figures. Bob freezed up like a Windows 95 computer, and all of his vague defenses and alibis made it look like he actually did perform an illegal operation. So, Eldar guy pulled out a pair of pliers and attack-pinched him in the arm, a fight that the big military mofos broke up - but whom then proceded to check out Bob's car.

No sign of the Eldar army. Everyone calmed down.

But we never figured out where he went between the end of the game and the plier attack.

The last noteworthy incident with Bob was about a year or two after that, when Battletech was getting an upswing of popularity. The retired servicemen who formed something of an informal cigar+game club at the store (who only smoked outside, and opted for cigars with an odor pleasant even to this vehement non-smoker,) bought some books and miniatures and I grabbed the introductory pack.

We set up some Solaris-style newbie games to teach new players the ropes and drum up some more interest. Me and a guy who can best be described as a Korean Uncle Ruckus arbitrate the game. Bob was there, and Bob wanted to try it out. Bob seemed mellow, toned down, and far less of a dick.

Water also seemed to be resting on the highway, just at the edge of the horizon.

We get started playing and Bob erupted in an unending stream of trashtalking that could poetically be described as him grabbing a pair of wirestrippers and shaving off the myelin sheaths of our nerves. Insults against our mothers, our competence, our sobriety and decency spurt out as if we were drilling into his heart and tapped a pressurized reservoir of black vileness.

A guy who I will name "Genius Bear" slowly turns to Bob in the middle of one of his epithets and asks him if he, and I quote, "wants to take this outside?"

Genius Bear is so christened because he is the cleverest bastard in the store and is built like a bear. If he had my hilariously profuse body hair, you could air-drop him into western Europe and he would wrestle and impregnate every other bear on both sides of the Urals. And he has well known anger management issues.

And Bob gets up and replies, "Sure, just to talk."

We watched them step outside, and saw Genius Bear demonstrate his fluency in Fist. For about 30 seconds. We timed it.

When Bob couldn't accomplish the fetal position, the store owner walked out, tapped Bear on the shoulder, and told him to lay off.

Bob left. As far as I know, forever.

contagonist fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Mar 8, 2015

Serf
May 5, 2011

This story comes from the first tabletop game I ever played, a 4E campaign that I was running for a bunch of friends who had also never played any RPGs before. We were a few months into the campaign, meeting every other week, and the characters were basically mercenaries, taking on odd jobs, getting rich and whatnot. We had:

Dirk - an evil zombie paladin of nothing who was constantly nude and carried a huge sword. His player was mostly there for the combat, but also was responsible for a good portion of the game's hilarity.

Kenichi - a grappling fighter reskinned as a monk. He had a vow against killing, and described all his attacks as being just to knock people out. Played by a very annoying dude, this character would later go on to be murdered by the rest of the party for playing Lawful Stupid in the midst of evil/neutral assholes.

Crowbar - a halfling rogue who was basically half-luchadore, half-knife maniac. Played by my brother, he loved climbing on things and using his Acrobatic Strike at-will to narrate all sorts of zany stuff.

Jonn - human bard who was a washed-up rockstar with a drug problem, he used guitars to deliver sonic attacks and handled the healing/support stuff.

Mialee - an elf ranger whose name came directly from the 4E character generator random option, she was played by a friend who was way more into the mechanical crunch of the game and played her basically as a cipher, but like all his subsequent characters she was totally amoral and in it for the money.

So the mission was supposed to be easy: get aboard an airship, locate a marked crate in the cargo hold and steal it. Sounds simple, right? But nothing was ever simple with my players. They locate the ship at the docks easily enough, but decide to take a two-pronged approach to getting inside. Crowbar and Kenichi jump onto the underside of the ship and crawl in through a window, while Jonn, Dirk and Mialee attempt to bluff their way in. Jonn aces the bluff check, but Dirk tries to intimidate the guards and catches a rifle stock to the face for his trouble. In the scuffle, the ship takes off, and the party gets split.

Inside the ship, Crowbar and Kenichi sneak around looking for the cargo hold, Kenichi opting to grab unaware sailors and beat them up while using a (terrible) Batman voice to intimidate them. Back at the docks, the rest of the party scrambles for a solution. Spying a dragon unloading some cargo off his back over at another station, Jonn manages to talk him into giving them a ride, rolling a nat 20 on his diplomacy check. Loaded onto the dragon, the rest of the party zips off after the airship.

Back inside, Kenichi fails to tell that the sailor lied to him and stumbles into the engine room, where he and Crowbar come across their robotic nemesis BVR-37 (a recurring henchman) and a fight ensues. Above, the dragon lands on the deck and another battle starts where the dragon lays down some covering fire while Mialee plugs away with her arrows and Dirk charges into the fight against the sailors.

Eventually, BVR-37 is defeated, and in its death throes it blows up the engine of the ship, and it begins to fall out of the sky. I ask the players what they're going to do and Dirk's player looks at me and says "I jump over the side of the ship." The whole table falls silent, and I was giving him a chance to take it back, but he just looked at me like he was totally serious, so I rolled with it. Not to be outdone, Kenichi's player declared that he would squeeze out of a porthole and also jump.

Now the ship was about 1000 meters up at the time, so they both had some time to figure out how to save themselves. On the ship, Crowbar made a lucky check that determined they could reduce their falling speed by blowing off the engine compartment. Working with Jonn to scrounge up some dynamite, they let Mialee fire it into the weak points of the ship.

Kenichi found a mage who had bailed out of the ship and was using feather fall to save himself, and the grappler did what grapplers do best and grappled him. This caused the spell to fail, and they both went plummeting. It was at this point that I put a smaller airship below them to break their fall at the cost of big damage. Kenichi, who had never killed anything in the game yet, rolled the mage under him to take the brunt of the blow, killing him in the process. This wasn't some big moment of change for him, just the player being hypocritical.

Dirk on the other hand didn't get anything to break his fall, and just rolled into a ball. Now I don't know how the falling rules work in 4E because who could be assed to learn them? Dirk smashed into an apartment building like a meteor, going through three floors before coming to a stop. I let him live at very nearly his negative bloodied.

Up above, the airship demolition plan was a success and the rest of the party rode the remnants close to the ground before jumping off and running away while it exploded. They managed to find Kenichi as he was kicked off the airship he'd landed on, and they all went to find Dirk.

Medical personnel arrived to help Dirk, and once he was able to move again, he grabbed one of them for some paladin power that would let him do damage and spend a healing surge, also because he was an rear end in a top hat. Well he got beaten back down into the negatives for that and arrested by the Watch. The other characters tracked him to the lockup and put on impromptu "reunion show" featuring Jonn in the local park to make up the money while Crowbar picked pockets. After stuffing the sack with leaves and placing the money on top to make it look like they had enough, they paid off the desk sergeant, grabbed Dirk and ran for it.

Note that in all of that, they never even found the crate they were being paid to steal.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thelazyblank posted:

As the guy who ran that clusterfuck, I was happy with how it turned out. Just set it up so that crazy poo poo could happen, and it did.
so, like actual wrestling

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Cross-posting this from the SR5E thread:

QuantumNinja posted:

One of my players is a street doc and he's recently had a bunch of cases showing up of people who have been getting sick and then, when they go to the doctor, getting antibiotics making it worse. After some investigation and legwork he discovered that the antibiotics are somehow feeding this airborne infection and killing people. He cracked a few servers (he's also the team's decker) and did some more legwork and traced the stuff back to several patents that, surprise surprise, were filed by a Shiawase facility on Galiano Island (in the northern Pacific, in SSC territory, which Shiawase owns in the game).

The team decided to the best thing to do would be to break into the island and hit the research servers / labs there for information. They called up some fixers and asked around and arranged a few other paydays while on the island (including but not limited to the wholesale demolition of four buildings, the theft of ~15 electronic prototypes, and the kidnapping of a world-renounded political artist with strong ties to Shiawase). They made deals that promise to net them around 400,00 total (to split) if they can pull it off, plus deals that will get them false IDs and stuff to get across the border from Seattle. They're going to probably all vanish after the job (and, honestly, we're probably gonna play something else for a while).

Next they decided they should totally do this in an aircraft, so I asked where they wanted to steal one from. I gave them a lot of suggestions, including a small-scale police station, a playboy rich guy, a Lone Star airfield, hell, I even suggested DocWagon's facilities. But when I mentioned that they could do something crazy and lift a prototype from LM, they decided that was the one. To help a little with costs, they even called up a fixer and asked if there was anything useful they could steal. There was: a 1600kg 3D fabrication unit.

The team loads up in the van and drove out to the LM test facility in Snohomish. The decker pulls camera feeds and poo poo for the building while the mage looks the rest over while the sniper sets up while the wetworks guy sneaks over a fence (with like 7 hits on sneaking) and sets up Neurostun on the security building air supply. The decker then promptly gets owned by the opposing decker and the Neurostun doesn't get everyone. A few guards and the two mages come out, along with the perimeter guards, but the sniper goes to work and quickly dispatches a ton of people before ultimately eating a bunch of automatic fire and falling unconscious in the tree she had climbed. Meanwhile the two mages go in, levitate the 3D printer to the main test hanger, and toss it in one of the test VTOLs sitting there. (One of the mages is the rigger, because Mystic Adept.) The rigger books it out with the VTOL while they round everyone up in the rigger's SUV while SWAT closes in. Mr. Wetwork is driving, and almost goes unconscious from small arms fire as they plow out of the facility in a quasi-visible SUV, and more or less manage a clean getaway through judicious use of edge.

The VTOL got slotted with a datachip given to the team by an mysterious Matrix person they met, which he gave them with the claim of "a favor". As a result the thing got more or less instant-ownered by the Strong AI. Presumably the astral stuff got scrubbed, but nobody did anything for the cameras because the hacker got knocked out before he could. They find a place to drop off the printer to a biker gang that was working for the fixer. They strip the thing then for tracking tags and cloak it in a Force 6 Area Jammer the whole way to a quiet exec building with hangers in Auburn to stash the thing.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 12, 2015

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Never mind.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My friend is running a “Villains and Vigilante’s” campaign. He does a very good job of mixing “serious superheroics” and “stupid comedy” and last night’s big reveal was a masterpiece of groan worthy comedy.

The PC’s right now are trying to unravel the mad scheme of an apparently genius scientist who has been stealing large amounts of coal from power plants. His calling card has been that any and all electrical company vehicles (indeed, any utility company vehicle) has been found with flat tires, someone having let all the air out.

Last night, they finally confronted the villain. Turns out, they’re going up against two evil super-genius animals. One is a mole who was experimented on by a scientist using a radioactive form of carbon-12 that gave him hyper intelligence and a hatred of humanity. The other is his assistant – a tiny white rat who somehow gained the power of telekinesis after seeing the rest of his pack family run over by a speeding utility truck, and uses his telekinesis to deflate the tires of those vehicles for petty revenge.

The mole’s name? Professor Avogadro.

The rat’s name? Deflater Mouse.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

My friends and I just started a new side-game of Fate Accelerated. It's a loose adaptation of the Timeworks setting with a sort of saturday morning cartoon vibe, as a change of pace from our more-grounded 13th Age game. Basically it's about being a ship of time traveling jerks on the run from the timecops and travelling through time for profit and getting into a lot of dumb hijinks.

Our cast includes:

Christopher, an 18th century inventor.
Charles Krunch, an ex-pirate captain from the 16th century, turned corporate time traveling businessman.
Magellan, a more advanced version of a machine like the mars rover.
T.J. Van Aastenschaff, a smug lady who made her living as a professional game show contestant.
CJ, a con-man/ thief from the not-too-distant future.
Posh Pineapple, a genetically engineered corporate mascot- an anthropomorphic pineapple who tends to be a bad influence on children.
and Picture of a Chimpanzee, an apparently ordinary chimpanzee, who is only capable of communicating via an array of pictures or symbols on flashcards. This character is the reason the communally named time machine is called 'Picture of a Clock, Picture of a Box.'

In our only session so far, the Time Jerks visited a casino space station and among other things, played poker, interfered with a production of Waiting for Godot, got in cahoots with some crooks planning to skim the station's profits, and almost got into an all-out brawl with each other after Picture of Chimpanzee bit off one of the aforementioned crooks' fingers. It's looking like good, stupid fun.

Roach Warehouse fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 12, 2015

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Roach Warehouse posted:

My friends and I just started a new side-game of Fate Accelerated. It's a loose adaptation of the Timeworks setting with a sort of saturday morning cartoon vibe, as a change of pace from our more-grounded 13th Age game. Basically it's about being a ship of time traveling jerks on the run from the timecops and travelling through time for profit and getting into a lot of dumb hijinks.

Our cast includes:

Christopher, an 18th century inventor.
Charles Krunch, an ex-pirate captain from the 16th century, turned corporate time traveling businessman.
Magellan, a more advanced version of a machine like the mars rover.
T.J. Van Aastenschaff, a smug lady who made her living as a professional game show contestant.
CJ, a con-man/ thief from the not-too-distant future.
Posh Pineapple, a genetically engineered corporate mascot- an anthropomorphic pineapple who tends to be a bad influence on children.
and Picture of a Chimpanzee, an apparently ordinary chimpanzee, who is only capable of communicating via an array of pictures or symbols on flashcards. This character is the reason the communally named time machine is called 'Picture of a Clock, Picture of a Box.'

In our only session so far, the Time Jerks visited a casino space station and among other things, played poker, interfered with a production of Waiting for Godot, got in cahoots with some crooks planning to skim the station's profits, and almost got into an all-out brawl with each other after Picture of Chimpanzee bit off one of the aforementioned crooks' fingers. It's looking like good, stupid fun.

I would collect this line of toys.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Lucky Guy posted:

I would collect this line of toys.

I would buy a Posh Pineapple plush toy and sleep it with every night, provided that the leafy bits at the top weren't too prickly.*

*Prickly like a bed full of porcupines, not concubines Baldrick

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So, I have a story to tell, about a campaign I was in about five years ago at my college. I don't remember the names of the characters, but I remember some of the best parts.
You see, we tried out a session under the system "Big Eyes Small Mouth, d20 edition" and discovering we didn't like it, we used BESM's third edition rulebook to create:
Anime Campaign 1

Our dramatis personæ are:
Jon, the DM.
Lewis/"Vlad," who is really the star of the story. Everything crazy that happened in either campaign (1 or 2) can be traced back to him.
"Chip," our roleplayer. He is more important in Anime Campaign 2, which I will cover at a future date.
Kyle, who fancied himself a min-maxing mastermind. He wasn't.
Andrew, who I literally asked him who his character was, and neither of us could remember.
Myself, who after a few sessions, was mostly just along for the ride
and Jessie, who joined late. As with Chip, the most important stuff that happened with her happened in Anime Campaign 2.

Character Creation
So to start with, Jon asked us what we wanted to do for the campaign. He could make basically anything, but we need an idea as to what to do first. We basically all agreed on a space-faring adventure, and started generating characters.
Kyle created a businessman, and was the bankroller for all our missions, and the "boss" of the group.
I think Andrew's character was a scientist of some sort. I legitimately don't remember his character.
Chip created Edward Wong Hau Pepelu Tivruski IV. He played the technical character in our group.
I created M4-1D, an Android Battle Maid, becuase I saw the template and laughed. I ultimately optimized her for "Maid" because our party was a bit of a battle-light party. My character had the "Owned" trait, and we decided that she was created by Chip's character.
And finally, we had Lewis. He was sitting next to me in the room, and heard Android Battle Maid, and thus his character was born. He was a warrior who used a nebulous material called Nether as his main weapon. As he later put it, "this party is a group of subtle characters, and I have never heard of this subtle-tree." When Jessie joined later, she created a ninja. Lewis mentioned that he was pretty sure his character never knew that we had a ninja on board.

The +1 Dagger and the Infinite Improbability Device
So our campaign was inspired by Firefly, but Jon stressed that our ship should be battle ready. Lewis took a gun he had built after the first (and only) session of Anime Campaign 0.5 (the d20 campaign), and modified it slightly to fit the Core BESM rules. By taking various flaws, the weapon only cost 19 points! The weapon was ultimately called the +1 Dagger. This weapon was capable of destroying small planetoids, and was no stronger than the original handheld version. We attached it to our ship, and thus the Sneak Attack was born.

Lewis also was able to spec out the Infinite Improbability Device from Hitchhiker's Guide for our ship, and, taking the 49 point flaw "The DM Controls this," managed to convince Jon to give it to us for one point.

Notable events in the campaign I still remember five years later
-We started out sneaking into the headquarters of an evil corporation named after our college's food supplier.

-We eventually have to infiltrate a party, and Lewis, master of subtle-tree, comes down in a big spectacle and meets another Nether user. He promptly kills him and steals all his nether.

-Escaping from said party, we run into a ship run by the food corporation, and fire the +1 Dagger through it, and through the nearby moon, leaving a nice-sized hole in it. We get the hell out of dodge, using the Infinite Improbability Drive, resulting in filling in the hole in the planet with water. This comes into play in Anime Campaign 2

-We infiltrate a theater troupe, having to act out the play. This is where we meet the ninja. I take the craft services table and turn it into a 5 star meal for each actor.

-While chatting with the other help (either at the theater or the thing after, I forget), they ask me what we did in our last encounter (at the party/at the theater/something else). "I reply, in exact detail, as to everything that Chip did." Laughing, Jon tells me they ask what the rest of the party did. "I say Stuff, unless it's [Kyle's character], then I say 'nothing.'" Chip had told me beforehand that he programmed in a lack of respect to Kyle's character.

-Our ship was invaded at one point, and I went to the hallway outside the bridge, and Super-cleaned it. About half our enemies slipped into the bridge, where they were promptly stabbed by a Nether tendril or a Kunai.

The ending of the campaign
So, at our last session of the semester we infiltrated the evil corporation again, and discovered they were trying to summon an Eldritch Horror (specifically Nyarlathotep) through a dark ritual. We interrupted the ritual, and took out the cultists. The portal opened, however, and Kyle's character rushed through. He rolled crit success, and instead of going mad, his character ended up an Eldritch Horror himself.

We then had a massive portal to deal with, so I (being the fastest party member) ran up into the Turret room, and fired the +1 Dagger at the Eldritch Horror coming out of the portal. We destroyed the portal, but the EMP that the +1 Dagger gave out shut down my system for three rounds.

The destruction of the portal led to a shockwave that sent our ship to the nearby planet. Being the last session, the players agreed to rolling a single saving throw. Anything below a 7 would lead their characters to a fiery death. I forfeit my right to a throw, saying that the EMP killing my character would work well enough as a campaign ender for me.

Chip: 11
Lewis: 8
Jessie: 4
Andrew: 6

So the Ninja and whatever Andrew's character was were dead, and we had to wrap up the tale for Chip and Lewis. The Sneak Attack crashed near a temple of an ancient but highly advanced civilization, and the two of them went into the temple to see what they could find. The inside of the temple had an Diamond Hole, and after some discussion between us Out of Character, Lewis put some of his Nether into the hole. The temple lit up, and the ancient hologram revealed that this world was a technical civilization that worshipped the Nether. They were all destroyed by an evil something, and the few remaining people transformed themselves into robots to survive whatever it was. Chip went into the borging chamber, and came out a cyborg. Lewis meditated and absorbed all the nether on the planet, made himself a planet of Nether, and left to search the galaxy for more nether.

Our campaign ended there, and we had a fun time. Afterwards, Jon revealed what we actually DID with the portal. By shooting the portal with our +1 Dagger, we released magic into the universe, and next semester's session was going to be dealing with the fallout of that decision. It was also going to be the last Anime Campaign, as Jon, Chip, Kyle, and Andrew were all graduating after the next semester.

But that's a tale for a different time, as we learn in Anime Campaign 2: The Aspect of Death, or why we had to heavily patch BESM for any campaigns afterwards

(Was this boring? If you guys want, I can write the other campaign up differently. Some of it you may have had to be there for)

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

CobiWann posted:

My friend is running a “Villains and Vigilante’s” campaign. He does a very good job of mixing “serious superheroics” and “stupid comedy” and last night’s big reveal was a masterpiece of groan worthy comedy.

And here I thought my gaming group was the only group who played V&V. Are you using the original 1979 set? I think I still might have my books around somewhere...

Also, Stupid comedy and superheroics is the only way to play it. I still joke with my gaming group about my character who was probably the most retarded character ever (and I think I might have mentioned him way back in this thread): thanks to random dice rolls of character creation, he was a winged superhero with no legs who could shoot fireballs. Yeah.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Explicitly wings or just flight? If it was flight, sounds like rocketlegs (tm).

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Played a game of Amber where we were drows in line for the throne.

It may be the worst game ever for a one shot, since we spent a solid 2 of the 4 hours in char gen, and another 1.5 in having two people fight (the duelist vs the contract's umber hulk).
My only actions were ordering a servant to swap the royal necklace for a fake one, excusing myself, and activating the real necklace in secrecy. This did not require a roll.

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 8, 2018

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Amber is a game best played with the Smallville/Cortex+ Drama system.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think the best V&V random chargen result I've ever heard of remains the dude who rolled an otherwise completely average human being with the power of radio hearing as a device.

Naturally, they called him "Walkman".

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Agrikk posted:

And here I thought my gaming group was the only group who played V&V. Are you using the original 1979 set? I think I still might have my books around somewhere...

I'm not in that particular game (I think like thirteen of us in the same social circle play in six different games with different combinations of players), but I believe he's running the 1982 ruleset from DriveThruRPG.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Played a hilarious one shot of "Monster of the Week". I was the Professional (Commander Angel Olivera, Acquisitions VP of Manticore Inc). The Conspiracy Theorist was actually a veterinarian Angel went to kindergarten with, providing amazing bits of dialogue.

Olivera: You do good on this job, you can read your file.
Dr. Green: You think it's accurate?
Commander Olivera: It's drat funny is what it is. Who buys one ply toilet paper?

A suspicious detective started questioning us, asking Dr. Green if he thought UFOs were real. He answered diplomatically that anything that flies and we can't identify is a UFO.

The Theorist has a move where he automatically knows if someone's speaking falsehoods, so during the debrief, I wrote one of the best sentences I've ever written:
Dr. Green: I know someone is capturing humans for experimentation.
Commander Olivera: "Ain't aliens." [Not lying.]

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
A little background: there's a being who is essentially Fate, but because he fucks with the Gods' plans (and isn't a God himself) they have deemed him a demon, and all those who worship him are to be called demonic cultists (even though they align closer to lawful-neutral). My group apparently has no ear for subtlety, so they fall for this demon narrative over the course of a major campaign, and are now convinced that this group is a cult and base all relevant decisions on this view.

So in the most recent campaign, I try to set up a few scenarios where they see these guys aren't so bad-- they're not cannibals, etc, they're just normal folk. In fact, while my party is starving to death, they happen upon a town of these 'cultists', and I figure they HAVE to interact with these guys now, they'll get food and cared for, and maybe everyone will grow as people. Nah, the rogue spends a full three days looting the town's food stores and even kills a few guards for the sin of passing detection checks while the rest of the party camps outside the town.

Well whatever. They continue the main storyline, which at this point is "orcs are marching to war, they should probably be stopped before they start a war with Nation A, which will cause Nation B to jump in on them opportunistically etc etc world war, mass devastation". They catch the attention of an orcish detachment, and outnumbered 1000-to-1 they retreat. To the cultists' town.

You can probably see where this is going. I naively thought they may be going for help, finally (since the town is well-armed and defended and has connections to larger friendly armies), but no, this was a "lure one cannibal army over to another cannibal army so at least one of them gets wiped out" gambit. drat players.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Evilreaver posted:

A little background: there's a being who is essentially Fate, but because he fucks with the Gods' plans (and isn't a God himself) they have deemed him a demon, and all those who worship him are to be called demonic cultists (even though they align closer to lawful-neutral). My group apparently has no ear for subtlety, so they fall for this demon narrative over the course of a major campaign, and are now convinced that this group is a cult and base all relevant decisions on this view.

So in the most recent campaign, I try to set up a few scenarios where they see these guys aren't so bad-- they're not cannibals, etc, they're just normal folk. In fact, while my party is starving to death, they happen upon a town of these 'cultists', and I figure they HAVE to interact with these guys now, they'll get food and cared for, and maybe everyone will grow as people. Nah, the rogue spends a full three days looting the town's food stores and even kills a few guards for the sin of passing detection checks while the rest of the party camps outside the town.

Well whatever. They continue the main storyline, which at this point is "orcs are marching to war, they should probably be stopped before they start a war with Nation A, which will cause Nation B to jump in on them opportunistically etc etc world war, mass devastation". They catch the attention of an orcish detachment, and outnumbered 1000-to-1 they retreat. To the cultists' town.

You can probably see where this is going. I naively thought they may be going for help, finally (since the town is well-armed and defended and has connections to larger friendly armies), but no, this was a "lure one cannibal army over to another cannibal army so at least one of them gets wiped out" gambit. drat players.

So let me get this straight: your PC's were convinced these guys were cannibals, so they... stole their food? And no one considered the implications of that?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
My gang are not the brightest, goodness no. I don't think it even came up (though they did make a point to say "I'm stealing iron rations from their general stores")

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Evilreaver posted:

My gang are not the brightest, goodness no. I don't think it even came up (though they did make a point to say "I'm stealing iron rations from their general stores")

Well, okay cool. Run with it. If these guys are supposed to be a shield from the gods, have the gods show up and commend the players for what they did and shower them with rewards and stuff. At least one of these should be some kind of channel to the gods, maybe unreliable or whatever.

And then the gods come down on them. Well, the world, but they'll certainly notice it. Maybe it's different gods from the ones who gave the reward, like the God of Famine and Want rampages in the night and all food in three days' march is rotten, and the players call the gods up and they never get any help because the gods don't mess with each other like that.

And then someone else calls on the god-phone, from a divine prison. Or something like that.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
I've been running a play by post AD&D1e campaign on these very forums for nearly a year. My players like to rely on low comedy and slapstick. They are:

Aello - A human LG fighter who plays as a short tempered shield maiden and is a member of the noble faction.
Martha - A dwarven NG fighter who is obsessed with overthrowing the patriarchy.
Ciarán - A human Druid who is a rough parody of me in real life.
Bolo - A Halfling N Thief who pretends to be a dandy and a fighter.
Lyme - An Elven NE Magic User who is a stranger in a xenophobic city state and uses a nom de plume (Amaranth) with the party.
Fah Ruité - An Elven CG Ranger who has recently joined replacing Aello who dropped for reasons.

After some time the party decided to call themselves the Social Justice Warriors. The setting is a home brew where a large city state has fallen into limited lawlessness due to an abuse of the code of laws (An actual relic that is inscribed with the laws of the city). Despite every effort to avoid just this happening the party find themselves pitted against some rats in their first encounter. This leads them onto the trail of a gang of wererats that are staging a spirited attempt to take over the city.

In their very first run in with a suspected wererat, Ciarán is joined by Aello at the door to a cottage that is connected to some rat diggings. The occupant turns out to be a Wererat and upon seeing the royal crest on Aello's armour, assumes wererat form and slays her in one blow. The rest of the (first level) party are now in a dour life and death struggle with an opponent that can only be hit with silvered or magic weapons. Martha grabs one of the few magic crossbow bolts she has and goes at the beast with a makeshift shiv while silver pieces are loaded in slings. The main weapon of effect however was the mage's hawk familiar and a flask of oil. The comedy combat is finalised when the mage herself lights the oil soaked wererat.

A lesser party would now be a cautious party. My players are made of sterner stuff. Having interrogated the dead wererat (via a speak with dead from a hireling cleric) a second cottage is indicated. The party approach the cottage. They suss it out carefully, splitting up to do so. Having located no traps on any doors or windows and seeing through windows that it appears unoccupied they enter. Aello searches the interior of the cottage and finds a concealed lever in the fire place. Even as Bolo scream "TRAP!" the lever is pulled. This sets off the trap that collapses the roof of the cottage while setting it on fire. The party suffer no deaths but are significantly charred.

Regrouping they investigate a set of external cellar storm doors with paranoid determination. No traps are found but the doors are locked. Bolo fails to pick the lock so Martha goes for the boot and kicks them in, setting off the trap and nearly slaying herself. This turns out to be how the rest of this adventure proceeds. Traps are stumbled into, pits are prat fallen, culminating in a raucous chorus of projectile vomiting as a stinking cloud is charged despite stern advice to the contrary by Lyme.

This is but a prelude to the great fort attack of 1847.

Having located a group of alleged illegal poachers the party approach by boat. The boat is immediately set on fire by a picket of archers and the more suicidal of the occupants leap overboard to address the menance. The boat, coming under fire from heavy weapons (ballista) on the actual fort makes away from the fort with the mage still on board. The rest of the party despatch the archers, largely non violently, and now have nine captives. Moving closer to the fort but remaining in cover it is seen to fully occupy a cleft between two cliffs and is a solid wooden stockade with ballista towers on either end. By breaking cover Martha discovers that the ballistas are now being loaded with spears that have a vial of knock out gas tied to the tip.

Regroup?
Cunning plan?

Naw!

Charge!

The forty odd occupants of the fort are amazed to see a single dwarf charge their position. With the stout steel bound wooden gates firmly bolted and propped at least a 12 foot climb awaits our charging hero who is receiving no assistance or encouragement from her companions. Both ballista crew miss but the plethora of archers get three hits on her run in. Martha is now sheltering in the cover of the sheer palisade and while this is defeating the ballista jockeys their numerous mates with bows are under no such constraint. In the second round however the archers, crowding for a shot, miss to a being and Martha manages to lob a lit molotov at the ballista crew to the left. She Succeeds like a WWII marine taking out a bunker with a grenade. Undaunted in the face of sustained bow fire Martha traverses the whole wall and lobs a further molotov at the right hand ballista crew. The standard bow crew try but fail to deter her.

The ongoing fracas at the wall attracts even more attention from within and now the officers of the defence are involved. Martha tries another Molotov but this one falls short and catches both her and a tardy Fah Ruité, who has braved a hail of fire to be at the wall with her comrade. While they are clearly not the world's best archers sheer numbers are whittling down our heros reserves of health. At half hit points the plucky dwarf comes up with a cunning plan. To scale the wall she will lodge her battle axe into the stout timbers. Using the battle axe handle as a rung she'll climb up to where she is just another rung (made up this time of her remaining melee weapon, a javelin) away from topping the wall armed with her bare hands (who are fortunate to be named Ruth & Sophia). Not a bad plan. In fact, a terrible plan. Heavily armoured dwarves and impromptu ladders are obviously the thing of legend so once successful and precariously balanced on a battle axe ladder rung what else would you do but attempt to light and throw your fourth molotov:

quote:

After she leans back to heft the missile the impulse of the release causes her to slip off the step, fall to the ground and wear the grenade to the chest. Self inflicting 7 HP of damage and setting herself on fire. Martha is now on 13 HP.

After this triumph a retreat is called and without sustaining any actual fatalities the party (still san mage) reconvene out of line of sight. The enemy bouyed by their victory and slight casualties, despite being down two ballista crew, open the gates and charge. With the benefit of defence the Druid is able to be more effective and soon the foe are defeated. Not before the leader utters his famous last words:

"At least I'll die laughing!"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I forgot that Commander Olivera had two things going for him:
An inexhaustible expense account, and a loving-hatred of his local agent, Yardsale.

Yardsale oscillated rapidly between drunk and hostile. When he was drunk, he would be racist, confusing the Chicano Olivera for an Injun ("You ain't?") and Olivier.

He also liked peeing on service vehicles; he souped-up the team's 2015 black-mirror-polished SUV, then peed in the wheel well.

Later, told to keep a gang of hunters out of the haunted woods, Yardsale got a bunch of hunters shitfaced.

Soon after, the party needed to get into an RV, and Commander made a bet with him: $5 said that Yardsale could break into the RV.

Yardsale asked to be shown the money.
Olivera pulled out a five.
Yardsale broke the vehicle's lock and took Olivera's money, causing the commander to shout:
"He's too drunk to know I tricked him!"
Yardsale then, fully aware the RV had a bathroom, peed on its tires.

The party was running out of time to stop the dark ritual. So Commander Olivera called in a strike team to requisition the girl who'd summon the spirit.
He picked up his black sat phone, dialed three numbers...
and rolled snake eyes.

Nothing happened for a while.
As the party fled through the darkness, trying to get to the site, a chopper came down.
An operative brought over a bagged suspect. They had the interloper!
Instead got a crying, shuddering teen, fearful for her best friend.

"You done hosed up." said Yardsale.
The commander scowled.
"Half my goddamn business is bribes."

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 5, 2016

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I figured this would be a good place to post up the DnD 5th edition campaign I'm livecasting every week over in Lets Play. It's a work in progress, and we almost had seamless coverage with two camera angles last time! Unfortunately our recording got messed up so no YouTube as of yet. Anyway lets start with a brief overview:

Season 1 ends on a cliffhanger. The Party had been investigating a mysterious uprising of a massive goblin army. Slowly, the party realizes that there’s more to this than meets the eye, and they uncover that otherworldly cosmic horrors had bodysnatched and replaced key political players in the outpost town of Gale. These creatures then directed the war as a distraction to gain a foothold in the Northlands (the country in which Gale resides). By the time the Party discovered this it was almost too late. They roused a resistance, fought their way through an army of mind-controlled villagers and tentacled horrors, then arrived at a crystal that seemed to control everything. Amidst a fatal melee, the Party smashes the unstable portal crystal only for . . . everything to go black! What happened to the PCs? Are they dead? Transported? Let’s find out in season 2.

The action of season 2 takes place in the western-most country referred to as the Consortium Alliance (CA) with a brand new cast. These lands (whose seat of power resides in the south-western coastal province-city of Angel’s Point) are controlled by a conglomeration of corporations, guilds, and family businesses that makeup the largest part of the CA’s power base. The party have been individually picked out and hired for a mysterious job by the Consortium Council (similar to a Congress). The job entails going to a dangerous eastern section of the city and investigating a ruined cathedral that has laid dormant for many years. Recently, you see, strange sounds and lights have been observed in the leaning, ramshackle building . . . .

Now the cast:

Tristan (Half-Elf Warlock: Tristan is a tortured soul. After his brother and he stumbled into a dark summoning circle (while on Thieves Guild business) things went bad. Really bad. Tons of people died, Sinclair (Tristan's brother) was snatched by the demon, and Tristan had to bind his own soul to a dark force simply to keep the demon at bay. The event has been polarizing to Tristan and haunts him day and night. Recently, a mysterious Blood Hawk has been following him as a Familiar.

Sven (Human Fighter): Sven is the eldest child of a (as of yet unnamed) noble family in the Consortium lands. He has severe daddy issues, stemming from the questionable child-rearing techniques his father used. Seeking to find purpose, Sven has taken his royal training to da streetz and fights for the underserved and needy.

Malachi (Half-Elf Monk): Malachi is a fallen monk. He will drink, steal, brawl, pass out, and then wake up filled with regret and swear that he’s trying to be a better person. He wants to become more of a hero the people deserve, but he is his own worst enemy. A dark past drives Malachi's debauchery.

Baralor (Half-Elf Sorcerer) - Brendan: Baralor is a student of the occult and various magicks. He has recently stumbled upon a dark, forbidden secret, hidden away in the back of a mouldy tome. Shaken to his inner being, Baralor has left the safe walls of his university to seek an answer to the unspeakable question he unearthed.

Cain (Human Monk) : Cain is an older martial arts expert that has come to Angel's Point to forget. Once a respected mentor and leader in his dojo, something tragic (duh) happened that reduced the entire compound to blood and flame. Feeling (maybe justifiably?) guilty, Cain has left to live as a pauper. Recent dark whispers of evil arriving in Angel's Point have reached his ears. Unable to ignore the shocking rumors, he must finally face his past to defeat this new evil

Lord Keenan Wood'say (Wood Elf Druid) : Keenan (or Woodsy) is an elf that is seeking help from the Consortium to stop the deforestation and pollution of his Druid's grove that's located a few dozen miles from the sprawling city of Angel's Point. Working to "make change from the inside" Keenan has begrudgingly taken up with the savages of the city (the PCs) in order to save his people.

Knowing that, here's the first session: in which the party basically reenacts a Laurel and Hardy routine!

• The party arrives by cart to the ruined cathedral. With them are two random street toughs, Harry and Jimbo.

• Malachi (the alcoholic monk) stumbles into the cathedral first. Heedless of the danger, he trips the alarm!

• Out of the back room, gnoll and orc mercenaries attack the party, with Warg backup sweeping up from the flank.

• A pitched battle over broken pews ensues, Keenan transforms into a giant badger and kills the orcs mostly himself.

• Tristan is the other MVP, melting both wargs while Sven tanks the orcs.

• Harry gets badly injured, so his mate Jimbo helps him leave the scene. The rest of the party takes a short rest.

• The party (more carefully this time) clears the rest of the top floor and finds a spiral staircase leading up into the attic and a hastily-covered trap door leading down.

• Keenan morphs into a spider and goes in the basement. He enters a stone room that has a tunnel leading south, as well as a split stone staircase leading up and down.

• Going into the tunnel, Keenan discovers a stockpile of explosive barrels!

• Keenan backtracks and then goes down the stairs.

• He discovers a canal filled with decomposing corpses, with a giant, chilling behind iron bars a few dozen feet away.

• Meanwhile Malachi redeems himself by spotting a trap at a hatch door located at the top of the spiral stairs leading up. He disarms the attic trap and receives some loot from within the attic armory.

• Regrouping downstairs, the party decides to attack the giant. They silently slip down into the body pit, but then Malachi falls noisily into the pit and alerts the big guy.

• The dense giant is confused, and gets Commanded by Tristian to lie down. While the giant does, the party splits up in body pit, with Keenan, Tristan and Sven going up a partially hidden body chute, Cain and Baralor making it up to the balcony that they dropped from (and then promptly out of the basement), and Malachi only making it half way.

• The Giant, seeing Malachi's legs dangling over the balcony, rings the alarm! Malachi scrambles up and races down the closest hallway -- which ends up being a barracks!

• Malachi dives under a bunk before the guards (who are now roused to action) see him. The guards exit out, running towards the sounded alarm.

• Meanwhile at the top of the body chute, the three guys discover the head honcho! He’s a well-dressed Warlock Tiefling, with a Hobgoblin Commander.

• Keenan, Tristan, and Sven burst into the boss’ office, setting off flaming hand, swinging swords, and lunging at the baddies honey badger style (literally, Keenan is once again a badger)

• The hobgoblin (the big bad’s Lieutenant) is annihilated. The tiefling surrenders (after being exposed as a sham: he just had single-use wands taped up his sleeve).

• The orcs and gnoll mercenaries go back to the chamber to see what’s wrong. Tristan disguises his face and sends the guards away.

• Kenan slips down the chute with the Tiefling baddy (‘Lord’ Slythern) and climbs into the entrance foyer (the first floor of the basement). The caged giant sees this and is growing enraged

• Orcs (that had been sent back this way) spot the boss held by Kenan and move to attack.

• Back at the other end of the dungeon, Tristian impersonates the boss and gets a gnoll detachment to attack the orcs that are confronting Keenan.

• Orcs fight the gnolls when Keenan (nude because he lost his clothes when he shifted) casts burning sword and scares the crap out of them. This makes them pause in sheer confusion.

• Finally the whole confused orc and gnoll guard pack attack the giant, when Tristan and Keenan jointly coerce them that the giant is somehow behind the whole fiasco.

• The gnolls and orcs get torn apart by the giant, while this happens the party rolls explosive barrels (that they found tucked far back in the other tunnel) up into the basement.

• The party blows up the whole place, Baralor (having come back downstairs to help) barely escaping the blast.

• The cathedral is destroyed, the Tiefling ringleader is captured, and the party is on their way back to report to the Consortium Council!

I'll post the next session soon -- right now we're only six in. Let me know if the bullets are annoying and I'll switch back to a narrative format. I originally went with bullets to be a time saver, buuuut it's not really seeming very time efficient anymore!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Good story, and I think the bullets are fine

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I'm playing in two simultaneous weekly games of 7th Sea. The GMs alternate weeks so neither gets burned out. It has worked well for about a year, but one of them just had a baby. To give him a break for a while, I started running Everway in between the other 7th Sea game. Everway is diceless and *~*interpretive*~* but I love it because it's goofy as gently caress. Normally, it is a world-hopping game with it's own setting, but I'm running it based on the premise of the children's animated film "The Painting." (It's on Netlfix, if you're curious). The film is about figures in a painting dealing with the caste system in their painting that separates completed figures, incomplete figures, and sketches, and dealing with the implications of their painter having seemingly abandoned his creation. Yeah, it has a bit more going on than "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs."

Anyway, the premise works well for Everway because the character hop between paintings, and the players design a home world to go with their character. The home worlds for this game are paintings, so I asked everyone to find a painting and make a character that calls that painting home. The characters have superpowers because it's Everway and superpowers are still awesome. The cast is as follows:

Don Quixote, from Picasso's "Don Quixote." He maintains that he is a completed figure, but he is a sketch. He is also a senile old man. He is on a noble quest, or looking for one, or... well, he can't quite remember. His squire Sancho Panza can fill you in on the details, such as they are. His power is to animate inanimate objects (say, windmills...). He also has a bony old mare as his noble steed.

"Sandra," the woman in red from Hopper's "Nighthawks." She is sly and persuasive and has a bit of Tulip from "Preacher" built into her character. She is complete figure and is on the run from one or more of the other figures form her own painting. She possesses supernatural persuasion and postcognition. She also owns a gun, which is kind of like a superpower in this game.

"Jeanne," a dancer from Lautrec's "Ballet Dancers." The figures in her painting are forced to perform magical dances for the shadowy sketch in the background (which is creepy as gently caress and I didn't even notice until the player pointed it out). She escaped the conductor in the foreground of the painting and is looking for a new home, even though she is incomplete in her own painting. She has the power of metacognition: she can see the stories of things and other figures, but not her own story.

"Hidetora" a sorcerer from this Japanese painting of unknown origin. He is a rogue and a wanderer and his sorcery can only make natural phenomena (weather, fire, etc.) more severe. He is a complete figure, although his painting is not prejudiced against incomplete or sketch figures because of the nature of the art style of it. He is just wandering for the sake of it, looking for trouble, like you do.

"Left and Right" (or "Louis and Renee," depending on which one you ask), a mind-linked pair of robots searching for their real home painting. One is the logical one, and one is the intuitive one. They are art critics be trade. (They are from a thrift store crap painting of a farmhouse that the player's friend painted two giant robots into. My friend has this painting on his wall.) They have the power to change their size at-will and to analyze things with supernatural detail (like a Tricorder in Star Trek). The above isn't the actual image, but it's the same idea. Imagine this painting with two giant robots painted in it in a different style, like pulp 1950's sci fi novel art.

This game is designed to take 2-3 sessions, as it is a temporary fill-in for a month or two while the new dad GM gets his bearings.

In the first game, the PCs left their respective paintings at about the same time and found each other in the studio that houses all of their paintings. There, they discovered something wrong with Don Quixote's painting: one of the windmills in the background was smudged out. they went in to check it out and discovered.... something systematically destroying the painting from the inside. Weird figures started crawling out of the fabric of the painting itself. They weren't complete, incomplete, or even sketches. They were scribbled over, abandoned figures beneath the existing painting. They're a fourth type of figure: Mistakes.

And they were angry about it.

They set about ruining Don Quixote's painting. The PCs fought them off, but they ruined some of his painting before escaping into the studio. They erased poor Sancho Panza's head in the process, so the PCs went back into the studio themselves to look for some way to fix him. They found some ink and a pen to remake his head, although the PC that ended up doing the drawing really hosed up the attempt. Sancho Panza's head is now a derpy smiley face atop his sketchy pancho. He would be more mad about it if he weren't already used so much dumb poo poo happening to him from being Dox Quixote's squire.

The PCs tracked the Mistakes into a painting in a dark corner of the studio, covered in a sheet. The PCs bravely entered the painting without being able to see its contents before entering. This is what they found:

They talked with the 500 foot high (in his own painting, at least) titan for a while. He was nice enough, but aggressively and intimidatingly commanding. He kept alluding to his own mythology and that "nothing new will come along to replace me. I will not allow it," while casually munching on his own children. This upset the PCs, and the Don animated a giant stone enough to fool the titan into eating it. (The stone, unbeknownst to the PCs, was placed there by the Mistakes). The titan ate the stone, which rendered him incapacitated and defenseless. The Mistakes then came out of the background to launch their attack. The PCs fought them off for a while again, but were driven out this time.

The ruined figures found a kindred spirit in the titan, and their aim is to take back all the canvases from the paintings that were painted over them. They scribbled over Saturn to make him one of them, and they're amassing a force in the Goya painting to go to war with the rest of the studio. The PCs are scrambling to find a way to respond before it's too late. That's where we left off the first game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

quote:

"Left and Right" (or "Louis and Renee," depending on which one you ask), a mind-linked pair of robots searching for their real home painting. One is the logical one, and one is the intuitive one. They are art critics be trade. (They are from a thrift store crap painting of a farmhouse that the player's friend painted two giant robots into. My friend has this painting on his wall.) They have the power to change their size at-will and to analyze things with supernatural detail (like a Tricorder in Star Trek). The above isn't the actual image, but it's the same idea. Imagine this painting with two giant robots painted in it in a different style, like pulp 1950's sci fi novel art.

I need to see this painting.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Well I'll post up session 2 and 3 for the Arcemia DnD 5th Edition campaign I'm running then. It's starting to get pretty funny so I'd love to catch you guys up before we stream again on Monday.

Session 2
  • The session begins with the Party in the debriefing room, talking with Jahn (the gnomish middle manager for Consortium Council affairs) about the Cathedral incident.

• Jahn says that Slythern (Sly, the tiefling captured from beneath the cathedral) requests that he is only interviewed by the party. Sly has been worked over pretty good, but claims that he has valid information.

• The party agrees, Jahn takes a break and gives the Party the room.

• While interviewing Sly, he confesses that he just wants to get out of this alive.

• He talks about how there’s rumblings of cosmic intrusion spreading through the underworld (as in body snatching, something seen in Season 1).

• Sly says that someone named Vorn seems to be a middleman for a powerful, horrible entity, Sly offers to take the party around to try and find him, if he can not get put to death.

• After some political wrangling and paper signing, the party is instructed by Jahn to take Sly with them, and meet a consultant to the Consortium who is well-versed in all things cosmic.

• The party arrives to a quiet part of the city, in a well guarded cottage they meet a shaky high elf warlock who seems to be half out of his mind.

• The warlock is Ryne (a season 1 player character, previous thought killed in action)! He tells the party of season 1 (some horrors from beyond systematically body snatching and invading this plane).

• He begs the party to be on the lookout for any cosmic intrusion.

• Looking at his watch, Jahn realizes that the large Council Meeting is almost starting (this is the semi-monthly meeting of ALL the major and minor houses).

• The Party gets seats way back in the nosebleeds in the majestic council chamber. After a few minutes the air gets thick and a strange buzzing is heard by all.

• Suddenly a mysterious figure in black teleports in the middle of the chamber (right next to the heads of the council)!

• He hoists a wand of some kind and sets off a massive explosion.

• The blast vaporizes the heads of the Major houses, kills scores, and half collapses the council building.

• Party (being on the outskirts of the chamber) survive, heal, then meet the new heads of the Council.

• They discuss their options and come up with three leads: go back to Northlands (the Season 1 setting, which defeated the cosmic incursion at great cost), check out contacts in the city, or go to the Northern Wastes to investigate rumors of strange new creatures.

• The Party decides to go to the city underhive to find out what they can from Sly’s contacts..

• Sly leads them into a terrible part of town, into a shady bar, then (surprise) gives the party the slip, speaking a codeword that triggers a gang of ruffians to bust it and start a bar fight.

• Party slaughters all the bandits, then set the bar on fire.

• After the carnage, Baralor ices the bars, mitigating collateral damage. .

• Party discovers that Sly is on his way to hide in the Hollows (a massive graveyard that serves as burial for most of the lower caste).

• Before taking off, they realize that they are near the thinly disguised Thieves Guild. Some thieves were NOT amused with the pub burning hijinks and duck in to report.

• Party decides to check in with the Thieves guild first.

Session 3
  • Party goes to the Lucky Lad casino (the obvious front to the Thieves Guild) to check out the scene.

• At the casino, Tristan slips upstairs alone (being from a thieves background) to talk to the bosses.

• Keenan follows along, undetected, as a spider.

• Malachi yells and raises a ruckus in one of the pit games to allow the rest of the party to work their way upstairs as well.

• While the party makes their way up, Keenan overhears Tristan begging the leaders not to punish him (from his mess up in his backstory; he took thieves guild property to run a private errand that ended with dead city guards, his brother's soul taken, and Tristan bound to a powerful evil) and allow him to make good his debt.

• Ley and Sable (the beautiful and deadly twin sisters/ leaders of the Thieves Guild) disagree on how to do that.

• Sable asks Tristan to bring his crew in, as there is a mission he can undertake to clear his name.

• The party is admitted into the inner sanctum and meet Ley, Sable, and their consigliere Vlin.

• Ley and Sable tell the party to help Tristan earn his way back into the fold, they’ll even get paid!

• They will do this by saving Thomas, a street urchin who lives at an orphanage a few miles away in the city.

• Thomas is dear to Ley and Sable, and the party agrees, for loot and riches.

• Along the way the party fight bandits from the same gang that they fought in the bar. The bandits barricade both ends of a side street with burning wagons and launch their ambush.

• The gangers bring backup this time, a Cyclops (who really wants beer)!

• The party convinces the Cyclops that they’ll give him more beer than he can imagine(nat 20 from Cain) if he kills the gang.

• The Cyclops agrees and unleashes on the gang members.

• The party mops up the rest of the gang, including some wild hyenas the gang throws at them.

• At the end of the fight, the party then convinces the Cyclops that fire is good for it and better than beer.

• Thanks to some ridiculous bluff/diplomacy checks, the cyclops plows through the flaming barriers, gets set aflame, and runs off bellowing with pain and rage.

• Cain finds the bandit’s treasure stash (which includes some gold and a magical item).

• The item is an enchanted rage sword. Cain takes it and (over the short rest the party takes) becomes obsessed.

• Arriving at the the orphanage a royal hullaballo breaks out.

• Cain is focused on the sword, which freaks out Tristan. Tristan charms the sword away, then Keenan (who views the stealing of another man’s loot as a real lovely thing to do) and Tristan start fighting.

• Meanwhile Malachi runs into the orphanage while Sven tries to restrain raging Cain (who REALLY wants his sword back).

• A beautiful raven-haired woman dressed in a nun’s habit comes out and offers to help, saying she is the mistress of the orphanage.

• Baralor detects thoughts and sees that all is not right. Keenan, hearing this, shoots the woman.

• Despite the arrow in her, the woman keeps her cool and holds sway over most of the party, convincing them to come indoors.

• The woman and her servant end up being an Incubus and succubus! They charm Cain and Sven and make the party fight.

• The fight is VERY close, especially as the party has no magical weapons to damage the demons efficiently.

• The Succubus (sensing defeat) tries to open an escape portal, but dies before she can escape.

• Tristan sees the portal and leaps through (for reasons?), the Incubus then traps most of the rest of the portal in his party and transports them away.

• Woodsy and Baralor are the only ones left in the orphange.

• The illusion broken, they see that the orphange is filled with dead kids . . . their life force ripped away from them.

• Not wanting to go to hell AND wanting to get paid. they find Thomas’ corpse, pick it up, saw off the head of the Succubus, and head back to the Thieve’s Guild to get their reward.

• Everyone else arrives in a hellish domain.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Last week, I went to a D&D game, invited by one of my coworkers. 3.5e, Forgotten Realms.

I went in with a kind of goofy concept (Zhi Bhest, a bard with a whip and Improved Trip who uses Perform (Oratory) by telling bad jokes). It was decided, mostly without any of my input, that my character was a eunuch and an escaped former harem-boy. The DM then repeatedly called me/my character "ISIS" and "towelhead". I spent most of the combat being ineffectual because the DM shut me down for being a rules lawyer every time I tried to bring up the only thing that made my character worthwhile (the Attack of Opportunity rules). This was on top of the campaign being built mostly around the PCs being agents for the DM's old character, a self-insert with twin katanas, twin pistols, illegitimate children in every possible region of FR, and like 40 levels in every class.

I don't think I'll be going back.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

:( I'm sorry to hear that. It's why it took me like three years to put together a new gaming group. Gaming people can run . . . weird sometimes.

E: Also how is referencing Attacks of Opportunity "rules lawyering"? :psyduck:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Christ. Never go anywhere near them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
For the reference, I'm not even Middle Eastern. I'm as white as they come. Which just makes it even more baffling. I guess he heard Middle Eastern in my terrible fake Russian accent/bad Heavy Weapons Guy impression?