Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Dante18907 posted:

This is all kinds of awesome, but badly highlights this games desperate need of better AA...

:agreed:. Colossal Order, fix this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away
I tried playing with the downsampling mod but even on a 970 it broke my computer and left it crying in the corner.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Dante18907 posted:

I tried playing with the downsampling mod but even on a 970 it broke my computer and left it crying in the corner.

Im using a 970 and it works great.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

HORMELCHILI posted:

Im using a 970 and it works great.

Well. I mean I could use it but I need more than 30fps... 30 is not enough fps for me. No sir.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Mountainous maps are cool.

Dante18907 posted:

I'm using a 770 and it's fine at 175% for normal gameplay (30-60 FPS), so you should be able to go higher unless you're already playing at 4k or something.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

cthulhoo posted:

Bordercities owns.

Holy poo poo I never knew I needed this until now.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My Catalyst driver override application AA settings wasn't doing anything until I forced the game to DirectX 9 with -force-d3d9, then I could override it. Still looks ehhhhh, though.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

My island city is getting pretty drat proper. And it forced me to make my first true spaghetti junction.

I'm quite partial of this view myself. The remnants of my master plan to pump all sewage into the "volcano" top and dam it off. The dam's didn't produce poo poo, but the ones farther down do.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MikeJF posted:

My Catalyst driver override application AA settings wasn't doing anything until I forced the game to DirectX 9 with -force-d3d9, then I could override it. Still looks ehhhhh, though.

I would really recommend just grabbing the dynamic resolution mod and using it to supersample, assuming your GPU can handle it. At 150-175% on 1920x1080 it makes the game look significantly sharper.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Dynamic resolution at 200% looks nice but welp ~20 fps. My gtx 275 is definitely not ready for this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm on an old enough machine that supersampling isn't a great idea.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I wish they staggered the births/deaths. As of right now a cohort of people will move in when you zone a fresh block, and all die at the same time.

I figure they could either randomize death dates with a bell curve for deaths around the time they use now (some die before, most die nearer to it, some die after) or randomize births (a bell curve around when cims tend to have babies). This would blunt the death waves, bring it more in line with real life, and not discourage us from zoning entire neighborhoods at once.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Spent this evening unlocking a majority of the special buildings. Wasn't really super fun to do (most of em anyways) but eh, got it out of the way at least.

I think I'll set my little metropolis aside and try making a more distributed small-town/county style map.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
I hope all you bordercities people are playing Royksopp on loop.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

These are gorgeous mate. Next city I make I'll definitely be using a mountain map.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Even with a GTX 970 the dynamic resolution mod hurt my FPS enough that it was annoying to me, but I'm running a 144hz monitor and the difference between 60fps and 80 is noticeable to me.

I've set the AA in the NVidia Control panel and it works but it's not much different than the in game AA.

I don't see it getting fixed anytime soon since I assume they're using deferred rendering in the Unity engine which doesn't allow you to use Unity's built in AA settings and instead you have to use a post processing effect to emulate it.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I'm using a 770 and it's fine at 175% for normal gameplay (30-60 FPS), so you should be able to go higher unless you're already playing at 4k or something.

Yeah I play on a 2560x1440 drives performance cost up substantially :<

Edit: What DoF setting is that? Its nice without being obnoxious.

Dante18907 fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Mar 20, 2015

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

SuicideSnowman posted:

Even with a GTX 970 the dynamic resolution mod hurt my FPS enough that it was annoying to me, but I'm running a 144hz monitor and the difference between 60fps and 80 is noticeable to me.

I've set the AA in the NVidia Control panel and it works but it's not much different than the in game AA.

I don't see it getting fixed anytime soon since I assume they're using deferred rendering in the Unity engine which doesn't allow you to use Unity's built in AA settings and instead you have to use a post processing effect to emulate it.

This sucks. I would kill to see the first major update port the game into Unity 5 but I don't see that happening.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dante18907 posted:

Edit: What DoF setting is that? Its nice without being obnoxious.

100%, but from what I can tell the strength of the effect varies between resolutions. The game is (I think) running at 3360x1890.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Dante18907 posted:

This sucks. I would kill to see the first major update port the game into Unity 5 but I don't see that happening.

It's not really a Unity 5 specific thing. Even with Unity 5 you aren't able to use Unity's AA method with deferred rendering. It's actually a problem with deferred rendering in general:

quote:

One more rather important disadvantage is that, due to separating the lighting stage from the geometric stage, hardware anti-aliasing does not produce correct results anymore since interpolated subsamples would result in nonsensical position, normal, and tangent attributes. One of the usual techniques to overcome this limitation is using edge detection on the final image and then applying blur over the edges,[6] however recently more advanced post-process edge-smoothing techniques have been developed, such as MLAA[7] (used in Killzone 3 and Dragon Age 2, among others), FXAA[8] (used in Crysis 2, FEAR 3, Duke Nukem Forever), SRAA,[9] DLAA[10] (used in Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II), and post MSAA (used in Crysis 2 as default anti-aliasing solution). Although it is not an edge-smoothing technique, Temporal anti-aliasing (used in Halo Reach) can also help give edges a smoother appearance.[11] DirectX 10 introduced features allowing shaders to access individual samples in multisampled render targets (and depth buffers in version 10.1), giving users of this API access to hardware anti-aliasing in deferred shading. These features also allow them to correctly apply HDR luminance mapping to anti-aliased edges, where in earlier versions of the API any benefit of anti-aliasing may have been lost.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

SuicideSnowman posted:

It's not really a Unity 5 specific thing. Even with Unity 5 you aren't able to use Unity's AA method with deferred rendering. It's actually a problem with deferred rendering in general:

Ah. Well there you go. C:S ported to Unreal 4?

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
You see Borderlands, I see Howard Arkley.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...evid=1934157257

Disappointing Pie posted:

Does the LP forum still require 3 months from a game release to do an LP? Because I would love a CS LP so bad. Hint hint Deadly Hume.
Ehhh, I dunno, it's been a few years since I did that and I've got a few things on my plate at the moment. I think I had enough fire in my belly to see out one LP and that was it.

As I mentioned a few pages back, I dug up the greyscale file I used to generate the map for Funkytown and will try to make it into a decent map for CSL.

To sperg out a bit, the scale in SC3k was a bit weird because the idea was the largest map in that game was 16km square, but each tile covered 64m. Which is kind of hilarious.

SimCity 4 had a much more realistic scale, the drawback being having the split the city up into neighbourhoods.

You had three sizes of those of course, 1km which was too little to be any use, although it was handy to use one to isolate all your dirty power plants and garbage dumps, and 4km which would've been great except most computers of the time would grind a bit. So I stuck to the middle size of 2km for most of my crap.

(OK, SimCity 2013, well, the scale and just about everything else was a joke. Let us not speak of it again.)

Anyway, one of the reasons I'm pretty damned happy with CSL is that the scale is pretty good, and you can have a decently sized map. If you unlock all 25 playable tiles, that'll get you a 10km square to play with. You probably will need a system with a fair amount of crank to get close to that, but I would say it's going to handle future processors a bit better than SimCity 4 did, because that game basically butted heads against the 32-bit limitation.

The other thing I'm happy about is no more goddamn loving antlines of traffic around the corners of maps because region play in SimCity 4 was, frankly, a kludge, what with all the asynchronous nature of it all.

Here, if I see a traffic problem, I can have a go at FIXING it, instead of juggling around, loading one neighbour after another. I think in the end in my crazy years-old city I had infinite loops of traffic which I could do nothing to eliminate. Even when I flattened and restarted a neighbourhood they'd come back, sneaking around the corner. (Which I tolled the gently caress out of for easy money, but still.)

SimCity 4 was wonderful in many respects but those were the issues that basically made me glad something's come along to supersede it with most of the things I wanted.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410329674

SSAO mod :toot:

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Hell yeah! Limited space, jumping across valleys and rivers is real fun. Using water pumps can be quite challenging to since they can suck up small rivers/lakes.

My current city of Portree:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Railways inbetween highways look so cool.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Is there a mod that turns off the extra haze when in no-UI camera mode?

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Is there a point at which your budget starts taking off? Right now my city is basically living from level to level, making use of the money rewards to get more services and just building up the various zones in between. Occasionally I look at the actual budget screen, consider messing with the percentages, then get intimidated and close it again and go to hide under a blanket while hoping my trash covered citizens don't get too angry.

Speaking of which, what's the reason for citizens in an area of the city covered by one of my landfills still having trash problems? Should I increase my landfill's budget?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Each landfill site has a certain amount of garbage trucks that it can field. It might be worth building one more site somewhere to just add some more trucks, rather than upping the budget (because you can forget you ever upped it and play for 20 hours without remembering).

You can usually increase taxation to about 12% before people start complaining. I recommend that. I am not sure what adverse effects taxes have, but I have noticed none with that. You will eventually grow to a point where you are raking in 50k a month easy. Also, paying off loans every day eats into your income, so if you have done that it may be impacting your earnings. I know the final loan takes a lot out of your income, or it did for me. When it, and the second loan which was timed to end near it, ended I jumped from making about 20k to about 70k.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Viridiant posted:

Is there a point at which your budget starts taking off? Right now my city is basically living from level to level, making use of the money rewards to get more services and just building up the various zones in between. Occasionally I look at the actual budget screen, consider messing with the percentages, then get intimidated and close it again and go to hide under a blanket while hoping my trash covered citizens don't get too angry.

Speaking of which, what's the reason for citizens in an area of the city covered by one of my landfills still having trash problems? Should I increase my landfill's budget?

Don't always build more stuff just because of the demand meter. Get things to where people are happy and then just let the game run for a little bit to build up money. Honestly if you're playing on normal mode, money shouldn't be much of an issue.

As far as trash problems, make sure the garbage trucks aren't getting stuck somewhere.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I tried to make a city with the trident thing posted on page 1 or 2, however I seem to have stop lights which makes everyone just clutter up together.

What did i do wrong?

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

quote:

Was Skylines already actively in development when the 2013 SimCity came out?

It was not actively in development at that time. When they announced [SimCity 2013] I was pretty sure there was no way we would ever be able to convince Paradox that we should make this game. [Laughs] But, yeah, they gave us the green light after they saw what happened with SimCity.

So that was actually... seeing SimCity 2013 kind of stumble, that's when Paradox said, hey, maybe we should go ahead with this since people aren't really happy with the last SimCity?

Yeah, I think it must have helped a lot.

Hey! SC2013 was good for something in the end after all!

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Viridiant posted:

I play with unlimited stuff mod and I always start raking profits as soon as the population grows a bit and outpaces my expansion rate. Then I start clicking on tax break checkboxes. So yes, it will.

Cincle
Dec 28, 2003

I bought this smiley.

Sankis posted:

I tried to make a city with the trident thing posted on page 1 or 2, however I seem to have stop lights which makes everyone just clutter up together.

What did i do wrong?

Dunno if this is the original solution, but making that one piece where your incoming roads make stoplights a highway should solve it.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

I have determined that emptying landfills causes the garbage truckocalypse and should never be done :negative:

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
It would be super handy for the garbage in landfils to be dynamic, or at least a few segments of modelled garbage stitched together like SC4.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Sankis posted:

What did i do wrong?

The road that connects upwards from the tri-inbound intersection should be a highway piece as short as you can make it.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

River of Zalgo: GOTY 2015.

cthulhoo fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Mar 20, 2015

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Does industrial ground pollution pollute rivers -> drinking water?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
I want an oppressive, neoliberal building pack. Marketing billboards everywhere, security cameras on things (the no. 1 thing I want added to make the game look more realistic), heavy fencing indicating owned property, little regard for trees and the environment. People as consumers, people as products. All part of the human capital.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Trogdos! posted:

Does industrial ground pollution pollute rivers -> drinking water?

No, only sewage will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Another Person posted:

people as products

Power producing crematoriums. Or just cut the middleman and send the dead straight to the incinerator.