Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DonDoodles posted:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1401981

This thread discussing the PWE layoffs is pretty good for two reasons:

- Smirk was laid off because he finally began to stick it to the Dentals and had to be stopped
- Smirk was laid off because of his obvious connections to certain troll fleets.

The conspiracy theorists in STO have crossed beams and are now outright contradicting each other, yet the only thing that's obvious to all is the political influence Dental has over the game.

Well, as anyone who's reading the thread knows, we don't have that type of influence. Yeah, Andrew gave us some advance notice on who was going to be let go, but it isn't like we can control his decisions. I mean, aside from getting rid of Branflakes, but let's be honest he probably was going to do that anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I have gotten super lovely about actually keeping up with this thread, looks like I picked a grand ol' time to catch up.

What really sucks is PWE will probably just use this as justification for further bilking (is that the right word?) of the playerbase.

A gameplay question: what're the best options the Romulans get in the t6 ship department? I've got the intel warbird and the, uh, Aelahl?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

At the moment? A T5U scimitar. :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

T5U Ar'kif also contender, less so in current cruiser supremecy.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 18, 2015

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Asimo posted:

At the moment? A T5U scimitar. :v:
It shows just how much the scim dominated when they introduce a whole higher tier of ships and the scimitar is still the best one available.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If its still viable to keep the lights on for Champions Online (which has been a desiccated corpse for years) then I imagine STO will only shut down if the license fees cost more than upkeep.

Might be a while yet depending on when the next renewal is.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

DancingShade posted:

If its still viable to keep the lights on for Champions Online (which has been a desiccated corpse for years) then I imagine STO will only shut down if the license fees cost more than upkeep.

Might be a while yet depending on when the next renewal is.

What are you talking about corpse? Why, Champions got a minor update last year! Live and vibrant! Players love it!

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

g0del posted:

It shows just how much the scim dominated when they introduce a whole higher tier of ships and the scimitar is still the best one available.

Also the fact that your t6 options are the shittyest intel cruiser, a cannon boat in a meta where DHCs are a liability, and that command ship you only bought for the trait.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

STO might yet survive if PWE does a series of smart moves. Specifically, fire the existing leadership of Cryptic/STO dev and bring in a new person who rebalances existing content to aim for the casual player and makes all existing content viable. That's just tweaking numbers so minor work it could be done in Maintenance Mode, and honestly, making existing content viable again would probably be more revitalising than a slow drip of new STFs. Also, rebalance the costs and functioning of the upgrade system.

If they did that, the numbers might recover enough to pull the game out of maintenance.

So I guess what I'm saying is, sayonara STO. I look forward to whatever the next Trek MMO is.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Mar 18, 2015

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I'd be happy with no new content for a long while if they just fixed the current poo poo so we can at least blitz the odd STF when the ERPists are all in hiding.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

MikeJF posted:

STO might yet survive if PWE does a series of smart moves.

Well, that's the final nail in the coffin.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
PWE business model is pretty similar to the EA business model.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe. Let's not forget the leaks showed that what we assumed was PWE interference was actually internal Cryptic douchebaggery.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hell, their best move is probably to give Wil Wheaton full directorial control over the game.

He doesn't have a huge ego, and he's used to putting up with trekkies.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
If Will Wheaton were put in charge of this game, that'd be the most amazing thing ever.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I'd imagine Wheaton comes pretty cheap, surprised he hasn't done any VO work so far

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
So out of morbid curiosity I went to check out IQ Fleet's leak page to see what else they've dug up about Season 10.

- The new featured episode will reward something called the Imperial Romulan Set
- They're introducing an Iconian reputation grind, with one queue having you destroy a Dyson sphere
- They're putting out Tier 6 Galaxies

Too little, too late?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sounds like they know it's the end. Iconian was always going to be the last thing they did.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SKY COQ posted:

- They're introducing an Iconian reputation grind, with one queue having you destroy a Dyson sphere

That's on the front page

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9106383

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

SKY COQ posted:

Too little, too late?
Well, actually adding new content is good. The fact they're finally getting to the goddamn iconians is a horrible sign though since that was sort of the "endgame" of the ongoing plot and they're clearly trying to rope people back in.

And it's depressing since 90% of the playerbase bleed could be stemmed by: 1) Unfucking advanced queues so they're not tedious and your 3k dps pub wonders can actually succeed at them, and 2) increasing queue rewards by like five times so you can reasonably level by doing them. Just those to changes would make the game far more fun and bring it closer to how it was pre-DR. But it isn't going to happen since the lead developer is loving retarded.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Just a reminder the game is actually pretty good and all this is due to stubbornly arbitrary developer imposed leveling reductions and unnecessary onerous real money costs for some items. It would take little more than a top down memo to turn this around, its not like the actual game is broken itself.

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003

SKY COQ posted:

So out of morbid curiosity I went to check out IQ Fleet's leak page to see what else they've dug up about Season 10.

- The new featured episode will reward something called the Imperial Romulan Set
- They're putting out Tier 6 Galaxies

Too little, too late?

They already released a T6 Galaxy. It's called the Kobali ship. Ironically, now they can reskin it back into a Galaxy.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Berke Negri posted:

Just a reminder the game is actually pretty good and all this is due to stubbornly arbitrary developer imposed leveling reductions and unnecessary onerous real money costs for some items. It would take little more than a top down memo to turn this around, its not like the actual game is broken itself.

Maybe it'll happen in Season 10???

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

SKY COQ posted:

Maybe it'll happen in Season 10???
And maybe they'll roll back the server to before Delta Rising.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe they can roll the servers forward 12 months instead.

Actually they could simulate this today just by yanking out the power cord.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
I picked the right time to start playing, huh? :smith:

Oh well, at least flying around shooting lasers everywhere pretending I'm a multi-beam frigate is still a lot of fun. Reminds me a lot of Starpoint Gemini except actually fun.

Can I get an invite to the channel? Handle is Cally@Pingcode.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Pingcode posted:

I picked the right time to start playing, huh? :smith:

Oh well, at least flying around shooting lasers everywhere pretending I'm a multi-beam frigate is still a lot of fun. Reminds me a lot of Starpoint Gemini except actually fun.

Can I get an invite to the channel? Handle is Cally@Pingcode.

You're in.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Maybe they can roll the servers forward 12 months instead.

Actually they could simulate this today just by yanking out the power cord.

Honestly, I kind of hope they do unfuck themselves. STO was the first MMO I spent more than a month on and actually worked on gear-wise. Like Asimo's said hundreds of times it was the most laid-back and chill game, and despite the constant making GBS threads on PvPers the Devs did it was a p great game. I'm definitely not playing another MMO after ArcheAge. I'm not holding my breath, though. I've accepted STO was dead for over six months now and Geko honestly doesn't know why the game is failing because Delta Rising is the best expansion ever, et cetera.

But hey, at least we still have Star Citizen! :suicide:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
At least Star Citizen promises to be just as great a source of pubbie ERPist sperg tears. Probably better because blowing up someone's ship will have more consequences.

In theory we'll be playing SQ42 at the end of the year (so end of financial year 15/16 then).

In the interim I've been getting back into the Ye Olde adventure game genre. It's refreshing.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009
A pal of mine has been really into Elite: Dangerous. It's more simmy than most games, but it is space fun. He likes to find people who are streaming on twitch and hunt them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I got a lifetime on this game, way back when I first started it was half off and I did get my time/money's worth out of it. I dropped off with the introduction of Dilithium because, well, I loathe daily timers as a concept :saddowns:

Look, game. I wanna play and grind and craft things on my own time. When even given an infinite supply of dilithium it would take me a week worth of pushing the refine button to make a single later level Blue named phaser bank I want, when Cruisers have 8 weapon slots, gently caress you.

I was also thinking of poking at this again sometime casually, to come and see this latest doom and gloom stuff.

Actual game content wise, did they ever fill out the KDF story mission end to anywhere NEAR the amount Feds had? Or did they just make it so you have to start at level 1 and scrounge for side missions/recycled fed missions if you are lucky?

Also, did they ever make it so it doesn't force you to drop cloak to talk with your Bridge crew or enemies? Look man, if I'm playing KDF I'm gonna use the drat Bird Of Prey line because if I wanted a tactical ship I'd have just stuck with the Feds.

kafziel posted:

A pal of mine has been really into Elite: Dangerous. It's more simmy than most games, but it is space fun. He likes to find people who are streaming on twitch and hunt them.

1.2 and recent ship additions and updates to repair/refuel/ream costs alongside bounty increases have made it so shooting things to death is both fun AND profitable enough to, well, make a profit even if you are flying anything but the cheapest end fighters. The thread has been a stream of "Oh my god I've made so many space dollars and I'm actually having fun!" between quoting the official forums where people are getting more mad at price reductions in ship fuel than they are the fact the game is getting ported to consoles.

The real money is still in space trucking, but now with Wings (only up to 4 people) and these combat income tweaks you can actually shoot your way into mid tier ships, and then keep upgrading them without wanting to kill yourself.

Lot of work still needs to be done, but the actual "Fly space ship" end is pretty solid.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

KDF plot is pretty decent. You get to punch a ferengi.

Rom plot is actually well done.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

When they revamped KDF to start at level 1 they filled it out so it's just as complete as the Feds. Honestly, if you'd come back just before Delta Rising, we'd have been able to tell you that the game had, surprisingly, somehow because pretty good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Massive item revamp

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1402701

quote:

When Star Trek Online was first developed, we made the decision to make every permutation of every item in the game as a separate item object. For example, we made one Phaser Sniper Rifle item for every mark level, quality and mod combination that could possibly exist. If we imagine that there are 12 mark levels, 4 qualities (Common, Uncommon, Rare and Very Rare), each getting a different number of mods, and then 5 mods on top of that (Damage, Crit Chance, Crit Severity, Knockback and Damage Over Time), with Knockback and Damage Over Time only being allowed to appear once per item no matter how many mods it can have, we get…

12 common Phaser Sniper Rifles,
12 * 5 Uncommon Phaser Sniper Rifles,
12 * 3^2 + 12 * 4 + 12 * 3 Rare Phaser Sniper Rifles and
12 * 3^3 + 12 * 3 + 12 * 3^2 + 12 * 3^2 Very Rare Phaser Sniper Rifles.

Add all of that together, and we have 624 different Phaser Sniper Rifles. But we also have 6 different damage types that all have their own Sniper Rifles, which itself is just one of 12 different types of ground weapons. In total, this adds up to 44,928 different items for Ground Weapons alone.

... Wow.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

When people say that the game was a rushed, cobbled together mess of indecipherable spaghetti code at launch, this is actually an understatement.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I still wasn't getting enough XP from the story lines when I was leveling my KDFs from around level fourty. :mad:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Geko said on the latest Trek Radio that they're going to do a ground/space trait split.

What are the odds that this'll be another nerf? 4/4 split or something.

Bagpuss
Mar 23, 2001

A little bit of solidarity goes a long way.

Tunicate posted:

Geko said on the latest Trek Radio that they're going to do a ground/space trait split.

What are the odds that this'll be another nerf? 4/4 split or something.

Oh absolutely it will and I've never been sure why people have been wanting it because there's no way it's not going to reduce the amount of traits we can have active.

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.
This game is utter poo poo and I'm still not banned, again. What the hell, game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BombermanX posted:

This game is utter poo poo and I'm still not banned, again. What the hell, game?

Nobody left to ban you dude. That would require a "staff".

After you finish urinating in the photocopier please turn the lights off on your way out to greener pastures.

• Locked thread