Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jsor posted:

Oh man oh man I am so on board for the last case of Apollo Justice.

I hope you like wet farts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I still want to know how Watson became an MD at the age of ei-

Oh right. Europe.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Germany is progressive, you see

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
So I got to case 5 of AAI2 and after the intro I was a bit disappointed, especially with how case 4 culminated and I started thinking if it wouldn't be able to live up to that.

Well, I beat the game and I had to apologize to it for doubting it so.

Ho-lee-crap. It's official. It's a travesty that we never got this but I sure as hell am glad that some dedicated and loving people worked hard to translate it the way they did.

Zaa Boogie fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 20, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jsor posted:

Oh man oh man I am so on board for the last case of Apollo Justice.

It's worse than case 3.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's worse than case 3.

Lets not say things we can't take back.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

Lets not say things we can't take back.

Okay maybe not in a vacuum. But case 3 always sucks and the final case is usually one of the best in the game so AJ's last case is way more disappointing.

The two days of trials are so disconnected that it's like playing a completely different case and on the final day of court the player only needs to do two things to win. It is the most anti-climactic case in the series from a gameplay perspective.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Pureauthor posted:

Germany is progressive, you see

On the one hand, Victorian London. On the other, as Blackadder put it, Victoria's father was german, she was half-german, and had a german husband. Clearly, they carried across educational standards.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Okay maybe not in a vacuum. But case 3 always sucks and the final case is usually one of the best in the game so AJ's last case is way more disappointing.

The two days of trials are so disconnected that it's like playing a completely different case and on the final day of court the player only needs to do two things to win. It is the most anti-climactic case in the series from a gameplay perspective.

Anti-climatic from a plot standpoint, too. The big culprit of the final case is the same guy we showed was guilty of the murder in the first case? That could be neat in a roundabout way...if it weren't for the fact that in the PW world, a murder conviction is a guaranteed death sentence. So all we did was would Glavin's pride a little more than we already had.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ometeotl posted:

Anti-climatic from a plot standpoint, too. The big culprit of the final case is the same guy we showed was guilty of the murder in the first case? That could be neat in a roundabout way...if it weren't for the fact that in the PW world, a murder conviction is a guaranteed death sentence. So all we did was would Glavin's pride a little more than we already had.

Remember when AA3 had you doing effectively the same thing and pulled it off marvelously? Lol.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
There was also an actual murderer who hadn't already been convicted and the fact that you're actually fighting AA Satan.

3-5 is so great.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
3 was the only game until AAI-2 where I could honestly say every single case was exceptional when you hold it up to it's competition. Well, Dual Destinies didn't have a bad case either but I don't think that game is ever quite as good as 3 was.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think the DD last-case plot twist worked better but that may just be the result of me being too dim-witted to figure it out until like 2 minutes before it happened. :downs:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Ometeotl posted:

Well, there's also proving that the artist kid wasn't the one who killed her father. Plus... Uh... Something about juries that never took off, probably because Phoenix so blatantly rigged the trial (even if it was to convict the obviously guilty guy). It probably would've been kind of neat if Apollo had had a similar reaction to when he realized he'd been tricked into presenting bad evidence at the very end of 4-1, and got a debate on Phoenix just throwing away any hope of the jury system coming up again any time soon to convict an already guilty man vs saving Vera in a way that ordinarily wouldn't have been possible under the series' bench trial system.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, to be more precise, premeditated murder is worthy of the death sentence.

Gavin hit Zak over the head, but they couldn't prove motive. And Zak did hit another woman first, so it could've been a spur of the moment thing. Frank Sahwit wasn't sentenced to death for hitting Cindy Stone under similar conditions.

Now, if we proved that he had reason to kill Zak and also tried to kill two other people, then it's a different story.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

3 was the only game until AAI-2 where I could honestly say every single case was exceptional when you hold it up to it's competition. Well, Dual Destinies didn't have a bad case either but I don't think that game is ever quite as good as 3 was.

3 is grossly overrated in general but the only reason 3-3 might be seen as "exceptional" is because its competition includes a circus and a rock concert. It's really not very good, all the elements like the cyber warfare and the mob bullshit never come together to form anything coherent and the villain's a boring brute who goes out like a wet fart.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Well, Dual Destinies didn't have a bad case either

Case 5-2 was pretty bad and the final villain in 5-5 blows

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Perfect Potato posted:

3 is grossly overrated in general but the only reason 3-3 might be seen as "exceptional" is because its competition includes a circus and a rock concert. It's really not very good, all the elements like the cyber warfare and the mob bullshit never come together to form anything coherent and the villain's a boring brute who goes out like a wet fart.

A brute with a terrific theme song who masqueraded as Phoenix with a cardboard badge to frame Maggie by intentionally losing the case. Furio Tigre is awesome.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

5-5 owned and 5-2 was redeemed by that one comic someone drew about how illogical the events of the case where. :colbert:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
5-2 has an ancient japanese village where the town fables are played out in a WWF rink. That's awesome.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I liked 5-2 because it was the case in which Apollo redeemed himself from the taint of AA4.

Also, I'd say that the best third case would be either the Ace Attorney's or Trials and Tribulations'.

Viola Cadaverini was the best character.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Austrian mook posted:

A brute with a terrific theme song who masqueraded as Phoenix with a cardboard badge to frame Maggie by intentionally losing the case. Furio Tigre is awesome.

Yes this owned.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Case 3 of AA1 is cancer, it just drags on forever. It made me drop the game, twice!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Counter-argument: It introduced the Steel Samurai theme. :colbert:

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
5-2 was fun and I liked the twist where the mayor turns out to be the nine-tails wrestler, but I don't think there has been any other case where the true culprit was so obvious. I mean, from the moment you meet him and every single interaction you have with him makes it obnoxiously obvious that he's the killer.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
In case 4-4, Phoenix shows actual footage of the second day of investigation to the jury without letting the court or prosecution see. It's no wonder juries were torpedoed in-universe. It's a huge wet fart of an ending, and the fact that the build-up is the best part of the game since the tutorial makes it all the more awful.

Also, I gotta say I wasn't the biggest fan of AAI2. It introduced a fantastic cast of characters (the only one I didn't really care for was Justine Courtney), did a good job motivating them and Edgeworth, and had a great overarching plot. Logic chess was a fun mechanic, even though the whole chess motif was completely nonsensical. Gumshoe was an actual detective again, instead of a useless goofball.

But the actual murders and investigations were just not good. The murders were more contrived than complex, the individual case twists were weak, and Edgeworth spend more time going from dead end to dead end than he did building a case. The answer to the big question raised in case 1 was weak. That is, the motivation of Shelly de Killer. He's mad because his client didn't say the president was a body double? That might make sense, except the body double is the president at this point. They didn't even give him a name or backstory beside being the body double who usurped the president.

The game told a great story, but it was weak as an Ace Attorney game.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hikaki posted:

5-2 was fun and I liked the twist where the mayor turns out to be the nine-tails wrestler, but I don't think there has been any other case where the true culprit was so obvious. I mean, from the moment you meet him and every single interaction you have with him makes it obnoxiously obvious that he's the killer.

That was just 5-2 going back to its 1-2 roots!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Not to mention that he's shown killing the alderman in the opening animation of the case.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hikaki posted:

My favorite part of 5-2 is the part where the killer openly, publicly tries to blackmail the mayor in the courtroom after Apollo establishes that he's the Amazing Nine-tails. It's kind of frustrating that Apollo spends half the case not knowing who the killer is, but at that point I realized that it had to have been done on purpose.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hikaki posted:

Case 5-3 beats it by a landslide.

The killer might be obvious from his demeanor in 5-2 but at least his loving face doesn't give it away the first time you meet him.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

TheKingofSprings posted:

Case 5-3 beats it by a landslide.

The killer might be obvious from his demeanor in 5-2 but at least his loving face doesn't give it away the first time you meet him.

that was cool since they just kind of have him in the background so even though you peg him early on the game makes you think "maybe he wasn't the actual killer after all..."

Also I forget who but someone was talking about an ace attorney game having the final villain as a defendant from an earlier case. well hey, AAI-2

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

TheKingofSprings posted:

No, the opening cutscene does that instead.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Austrian mook posted:

Also I forget who but someone was talking about an ace attorney game having the final villain as a defendant from an earlier case. well hey, AAI-2

I wish I could unread that. :(

So, I guess the villains of the last three cases are Gustavia, Blaise, and Simon. (AAI2 Spoilers)

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Mar 20, 2015

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I didn't have the 5-3 killer pegged from the start. :(

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Jesus don't throw spoilers like that around, especially when no one knows what you are spoiling until you mouse over.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Kajeesus posted:

In case 4-4, Phoenix shows actual footage of the second day of investigation to the jury without letting the court or prosecution see. It's no wonder juries were torpedoed in-universe. It's a huge wet fart of an ending, and the fact that the build-up is the best part of the game since the tutorial makes it all the more awful.

Also, I gotta say I wasn't the biggest fan of AAI2. It introduced a fantastic cast of characters (the only one I didn't really care for was Justine Courtney), did a good job motivating them and Edgeworth, and had a great overarching plot. Logic chess was a fun mechanic, even though the whole chess motif was completely nonsensical. Gumshoe was an actual detective again, instead of a useless goofball.

But the actual murders and investigations were just not good. The murders were more contrived than complex, the individual case twists were weak, and Edgeworth spend more time going from dead end to dead end than he did building a case. The answer to the big question raised in case 1 was weak. That is, the motivation of Shelly de Killer. He's mad because his client didn't say the president was a body double? That might make sense, except the body double is the president at this point. They didn't even give him a name or backstory beside being the body double who usurped the president.

I thought Shelly's motivation was that he considered Rook to be his worthy rival, and was angry that he was cowardly murdered by some total loser? In Case 1 he basically leaves the moment he realises what had happened. (When he sees the bullet hole inside the plane.)

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Austrian mook posted:

that was cool since they just kind of have him in the background so even though you peg him early on the game makes you think "maybe he wasn't the actual killer after all..."

Yeah, even though the real killer was suspicious from the beginning, they did get me doubting myself with Hugh as the red herring unlike 5-2 where it was obvious from start to finish.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The opening cinematic in 5-2 openly and explicitly tells you who the culprit is

I mean not that it matters too much considering there are like 4 non-obvious AA culprits.

Kajeesus posted:

I think it made sense, the guy who hired him was using him as a pawn in a much wider plan, and he regarded that as a betrayal.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Fangz posted:

I thought Shelly's motivation was that he considered Rook to be his worthy rival, and was angry that he was cowardly murdered by some total loser? In Case 1 he basically leaves the moment he realises what had happened. (When he sees the bullet hole inside the plane.)

I dug that part, but the bigger mystery is why he's so pissed off at his client, which we're not told until the very end. He feels his client hired him under false pretenses. I'm not even sure it's explained how he finds out the president is "not real."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

5-2 is the best case in that game.

Austrian mook posted:

5-2 has an ancient japanese village where the town fables are played out in a WWF rink. That's awesome.

• Locked thread