Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Dante18907 posted:

I have determined that emptying landfills causes the garbage truckocalypse and should never be done :negative:
Found it possible (and satisfying) when incineration capacity is greater than the amount of waste produced in the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Another Person posted:

I want an oppressive, neoliberal building pack. Marketing billboards everywhere, security cameras on things (the no. 1 thing I want added to make the game look more realistic), heavy fencing indicating owned property, little regard for trees and the environment. People as consumers, people as products. All part of the human capital.

There are some cool houses with security fences around them on the workshop. Gives it that LA vibe.

New SOVIET APARTMENTS
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409323913

Sevalar fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 20, 2015

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Another Person posted:

people as products.

Soylent, so you can skip the farming business for food production, and don't need graveyards or incinerators.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

simosimo posted:

There are some cool houses with security fences around them on the workshop. Gives it that LA vibe.

New SOVIET APARTMENTS
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409323913

I wonder if its possible to mod in policies associated with a building theme, if that happens then this game will be incredible.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Uh, poo poo. Guys, how do I dam? Do I need to make it smaller? Or would it just overflow that way?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I still wonder why the game didn't have soviet buildings in the first place. Basically the whole city, especially the district Colossal Order has offices is composed of soviet style buildings, just like that.

Anyways, comparison between SSAO on/off. Difference is not too big, but still makes game look a lot nicer. Hopefully someone mods in orthographic projection camera sooner or later!

http://hakkarainen.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Games/skylines/ssao/

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Devilbro giveth and Devilbro taketh away
I am semi aware of a mod that increases the number of cims that live in high density housing, anyone able to be a bro and link that up in here. Thanks.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

I still wonder why the game didn't have soviet buildings in the first place. Basically the whole city, especially the district Colossal Order has offices is composed of soviet style buildings, just like that.

Anyways, comparison between SSAO on/off. Difference is not too big, but still makes game look a lot nicer. Hopefully someone mods in orthographic projection camera sooner or later!

Whats the performance hit like for that?

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Ihmemies posted:

Maybe check your implementation. http://i.imgur.com/qY7Ucfp.jpg. Not what I would call SSAO.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Dante18907 posted:

I am semi aware of a mod that increases the number of cims that live in high density housing, anyone able to be a bro and link that up in here. Thanks.

kinnas posted:

Some Spergin' Mod finds:

PopBalanceMod - Dicks around with building populations. You want this if you think it's silly a skyscrapes has like 10 people living in it.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410344523

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Someone on reddit is putting my textures to good use.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Sillybones posted:

Maybe check your implementation. http://i.imgur.com/qY7Ucfp.jpg. Not what I would call SSAO.

Not my implementation, someone made a mod in workshop: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410329674

I have no idea what is it really, it's just called "SSAO" in game and it looks nicer.

Dante18907 posted:

Whats the performance hit like for that?

With GTX 970 the occlusion mod doesn't really affect performance, but the 200% dynamic resolution mod (5120x3200) causes fps to drop to 11 :v:

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

A true gentlegoon

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Don't ask me how, but I seem to have created a tunnel.

Which is handy and neatly solves the problem I spent 20 minutes loving with that little spot trying to fix.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I want someone to model this:

The dreaded retail park with lots'o'parking. Shouldn't be too complex! If anyone wants to give it a pop, I can provide textures if you like.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Sylink posted:

I wonder if its possible to mod in policies associated with a building theme, if that happens then this game will be incredible.

I think in the long term, once we've all downloaded a million mods with wildly varying themes, policies (like the existing high tech housing) will be an excellent way to manage those themes into distinct districts.

For example, if someone does want a slum, just add in a lot of suitably decorated residential zoning buildings, and then tie them all to a policy that has the opposite effect of the current one that forces cims into education, and maybe also raises crime/lowers land value.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

wit posted:

I knew this game was too good to be true. When will the devOCRATS at OBAMAdox remove the liberal bias from my sandbox game?

Anything even remotely environmentally friendly is completely overpowered, to the detriment of the challenge of the game. The fact that farming and forestry are completely sustainable, create no pollution and make more money than manufacturing is comical.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Anything even remotely environmentally friendly is completely overpowered, to the detriment of the challenge of the game. The fact that farming and forestry are completely sustainable, create no pollution and make more money than manufacturing is comical.

Not to mention the 1000MW dam I just plopped :stare:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Weirdo conspiracy theories aside, green energy in the game really is too powerful. From a game balance perspective alone, it's possible to make the argument that something is weird. There's basically no reason to use fossil energy sources whatsoever since wind farms and solar plants are far more efficient in every way except space (which can easily be mitigated), and also don't produce any waste. There's no real tradeoff to make, those sources are just objectively better than coal and oil.

Dante18907
Aug 31, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

I think in the long term, once we've all downloaded a million mods with wildly varying themes, policies (like the existing high tech housing) will be an excellent way to manage those themes into distinct districts.

For example, if someone does want a slum, just add in a lot of suitably decorated residential zoning buildings, and then tie them all to a policy that has the opposite effect of the current one that forces cims into education, and maybe also raises crime/lowers land value.

This forever! I want this.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Weirdo conspiracy theories aside, green energy in the game really is too powerful. From a game balance perspective alone, it's possible to make the argument that something is weird. There's basically no reason to use fossil energy sources whatsoever since wind farms and solar plants are far more efficient in every way except space (which can easily be mitigated), and also don't produce any waste. There's no real tradeoff to make, those sources are just objectively better than coal and oil.

Yeah, I was thinking this. I was building oil because I was assuming it'd be cheaper than the green stuff.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If I remember correctly SC2013 also had a strong ~green is goooooood~ message, maybe that's where its coming from. SC4 wasn't like that, poo poo was a lot better balanced.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

It is as long as you dig your own oil up (not long). Imo the main problem is that you can very easily get all your green energy to work 100% and that none of the power-storage issues they face IRL are implemented. If someone modded in wind strength varying over time or a day/night cycle with solar power simply not producing during the night (even if they doubled their power production during the day) it'd be a lot better already. A wind powerplant outputting 100% its design wattage all the time would produce hilariously cheap energy IRL too. If they made the fossil deposits last longer that would work too.

Has anybodies nuke plant exploded yet? Does that even happen in this game?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm sad that so many people seem to be making great buildings then putting them in as uniques. I want growables, damnit!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

cthulhoo posted:

If I remember correctly SC2013 also had a strong ~green is goooooood~ message, maybe that's where its coming from. SC4 wasn't like that, poo poo was a lot better balanced.

Well, I mean, you can still have that (a more detailed waste management system might help in that regard, for instance). It's just kind of bad that you have no reason at all to build half the energy buildings since they have virtually no upside over the others.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Is there an actual poop dam in the world

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Once you get incinerators, is there a point to keeping landfills? Incinerator trucks function the same as normal garbage trucks in terms of picking up trash from residences, right?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ZenVulgarity posted:

What do you think.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Fishstick posted:

Once you get incinerators, is there a point to keeping landfills? Incinerator trucks function the same as normal garbage trucks in terms of picking up trash from residences, right?

Kinda. So far I've noticed it seems you need more collection capability than you need burn capability. So landfills provide more trucks for less cost. Similar case for cemetary/crematorium, though the dead collection need isn't as severe as long as you're not running the city of Auschwitz.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Compared to SC4's timeframe the real-world green energy sources have gotten more efficient in the real world but I agree that the game needs some rebalancing to at least make the green sources have some challenges or downsides besides noise.

Building lots of windmills has a greater maintenance cost (as far as I know) compared to just one single nuclear plant, but that's not enough. They should have variable output and other effects on quality of life (like lowering property values when in line of sight). Solar should have much higher maintenance cost due to day/night cycle and ideally should require some other plant (e.g. a windmill or fossil plant) to supply nighttime power. Or make "battery station" ploppables.

The game is missing "Service life" for powerplants (as far as I know), that should be another factor for these as well. A Nuke plant should last 50 years before needing replacement or refurbishment, while a windmill should have a lower time for refurbishment (say, 20 years). They were doing this back in SimCity 2000, no reason why that shouldn't be a balancing factor in this game either.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

ZenVulgarity posted:

Cities Skylines: Make it so

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

kefkafloyd posted:

at least make the green sources have some challenges or downsides besides noise.

Even noise is not really an issue. Wind farms are easily built far away from the city or out in the water, and solar plants make less noise than any other plant.

kefkafloyd posted:

Building lots of windmills has a greater maintenance cost (as far as I know) compared to just one single nuclear plant, but that's not enough.

I don't know if there are some hidden costs the game isn't showing very clearly, but wind farms are $10/MW, nuclear plants are $12/MW (and must be placed roadside). Solar is the clear winner at $7.5/MW. The only real issue is that they take up more space (and you might incur a small cost for building power lines, but that shouldn't be backbreaking).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And nuclear has an extra cost in terms of high water use, too.

I had a loop situation at one point where there was a brief interruption, and then because the power was off the water stopped, and then the connection was restored but the water wouldn't work without power and the power wouldn't work without water.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Prop Wash posted:

An in-game menu that let you browse through buildings and assign them to custom themes and a separate district level for architecture would be fabulous.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Has anyone else come across the issue of no real water flow when using custom maps? I'm currently trying out this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=405729738 map of some Norwegian countryside but there seems to be no direct water flow so I'm having to use water towers instead of pumps to stop sucking up drifting poop water...

Edit: Also mod idea - I would love some sort of 'road planning' mode where you plop down translucent versions of the roads that aren't used until you replace them with the real thing in the build mode. Running out of money while coming up with nice road layouts is an annoying problem early on in the game.

Vetitum fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Mar 20, 2015

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Water in maps comes from ploppable water sources. Do those sources affect flow?

I left the water sources in my map but admittedly I haven't tested to see if, say, the river flows from north to south.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Vetitum posted:

Has anyone else come across the issue of no real water flow when using custom maps? I'm currently trying out this http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=405729738 map of some Norwegian countryside but there seems to be no direct water flow so I'm having to use water towers instead of pumps to stop sucking up drifting poop water...

I had the same problem with a map based on my hometown. I made a valiant attempt by putting the water intake in a different inlet from the sewer tubes, but that only worked for a few years before the massive swath of poop water made its way around half the coastline and into the water supply.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

To have actual water flow you need to have a water source on your map that is above sea level. The source will spawn water that then does it's water-physics thing eventually hopefully ending up in the ocean. Might flood half the country side in the mean time. If the custom map you loaded doesn't have any flow it's because the author is a baddie that didn't make proper rivers and just had river-shaped ocean bays.

e: a quick fix is to lower the sea level in the map editor (might have to adjust coastline, riverbeds too depending on the map) and then place sources where you need them.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Does this game have performance issues? Last night I had the SSAA mod at 100% (off) but used it to check FPS. At the start I was at 60 fps, and an hour later (having built nothing but roads in pause mode), I was down to like 20 fps, and I'm playing on beef. I guess it could've been the AO mod I also installed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is there any reason not to build cargo stations on their own little dead-end asides rather than on the main train line?