Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Graic Gabtar posted:

Well you seem completely wrapped up in emotion and drama so I'll just stick to the policy and rule of law.

Again, because law and policy means it's ethic and moral? Do you honestly believe that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Graic Gabtar posted:

Well you seem completely wrapped up in emotion and drama so I'll just stick to the policy and rule of law.

What a loving coward.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

how pathetic is your life even, mate

Paracetamol
Jun 13, 2005
This space intentionally left blank
How about Sharia Law?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

The rule of law works when you have a responsible and ethic government in place to use it. Australia doesn't have a Bill of Rights, because when writing up our Constitution, our leaders didn't believe it was needed. Surely, no government would ever need to be constrained by such, right?

Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party gained control and governance of the Weimar Republic. They ended up doing so via the rule of law that existed in the Republic at that time, and used those laws to go about the start of the Third Reich/Nazi Germany. They then passed laws that allowed the persecution and dispossession of Jewish peoples, as well as laws that allowed them to indefinitely detain those people. Everything they did, that historians now account as being abominable and inhuman, was done through the rule of law.

North Korea has allegations of humans rights abuse against it. People are alleged to be detained in political prison camps, forced into hard labour. Daily life in North Korea is one of constant censorship and control, right down to the haircuts people may have and clothing they are allowed to wear. There is no freedom of travel for North Koreans, nor is there freedom of expression. In their elections, there is only ever one candidate whom people can vote for. All of this is brought about by the rule of law, it is enforced by the rule of law and continued by that very same rule of law.

By your logic, Graic, those acts were right because they were law and policy, and with your logic applied, Nazi Germany did no wrong and North Korea does no wrong now. All is excused as long as it is done via the rule of law.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Step 1) stop engaging with graic crabgat

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Gough Suppressant posted:

Step 1) stop engaging with graic crabgat

That's step 2. Step 1 is don't specifically invite graic to give an opinion.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

CrazyTolradi posted:

Again, because law and policy means it's ethic and moral? Do you honestly believe that?

Don't make the thread worse. Gabtar didn't say that. Whether they are doing it honestly or not Gabtar is doing the whole "Sure, it'd be great if we didn't do this but pragmatically..." thing.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
MY ROCK-HARD ERECTION

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
hey craig did you stop beating your wife yet?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
endman

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
endman

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Gentleman Baller posted:

Don't make the thread worse. Gabtar didn't say that. Whether they are doing it honestly or not Gabtar is doing the whole "Sure, it'd be great if we didn't do this but pragmatically..." thing.

I think you missed the part where he said he was falling back on policy and the rule of law.

Also, why is it pragmatic for us to process asylum seekers offshore? Just because we don't want them here? Is that even a pragmatic and rational approach?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

The rule of law works when you have a responsible and ethic government in place to use it. Australia doesn't have a Bill of Rights, because when writing up our Constitution, our leaders didn't believe it was needed. Surely, no government would ever need to be constrained by such, right?

Adolf Hitler and the Nazi party gained control and governance of the Weimar Republic. They ended up doing so via the rule of law that existed in the Republic at that time, and used those laws to go about the start of the Third Reich/Nazi Germany. They then passed laws that allowed the persecution and dispossession of Jewish peoples, as well as laws that allowed them to indefinitely detain those people. Everything they did, that historians now account as being abominable and inhuman, was done through the rule of law.

North Korea has allegations of humans rights abuse against it. People are alleged to be detained in political prison camps, forced into hard labour. Daily life in North Korea is one of constant censorship and control, right down to the haircuts people may have and clothing they are allowed to wear. There is no freedom of travel for North Koreans, nor is there freedom of expression. In their elections, there is only ever one candidate whom people can vote for. All of this is brought about by the rule of law, it is enforced by the rule of law and continued by that very same rule of law.

By your logic, Graic, those acts were right because they were law and policy, and with your logic applied, Nazi Germany did no wrong and North Korea does no wrong now. All is excused as long as it is done via the rule of law.
I'm tearing up here. :godwinning:

Frankly mate your whining and overreach is strangely amusing and somehow boring as all poo poo at the same time.

I hadn't realised elections had been cancelled and you were tapping this out from a gulag somewhere. Wow, I'm completely convinced now. Silly me.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Graic Gabtar posted:

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

Frankly mate your whining and overreach is strangely amusing and somehow boring as all poo poo at the same time.

I hadn't realised elections had been cancelled and you were tapping this out from a gulag somewhere. Wow, I'm completely convinced now. Silly me.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

please answer questions vis your history of serious domestic abuse craig

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Graic Gabtar posted:

You didn't answer the question, Craig. Do believe that because something is the law and policy of the country at the time, it is therefore ethically and morally right?

I gave you examples of how just because something is lawful, it isn't right in a moral or ethical sense. You can take them or leave them as you please, but ultimately, you refuse to answer the question. Do you even have a moral compass? A sense of ethics? Or is it only the law what dictates your belief of what is right or wrong? Because as I've demonstrated, the law alone can be perverted to do great injustice.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

thatbastardken posted:

please answer questions vis your history of serious domestic abuse craig

Oh man, can't I just be a Nazi again?

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

Oh man, can't I just be a Nazi again?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

You didn't answer the question, Craig. Do believe that because something is the law and policy of the country at the time, it is therefore ethically and morally right?

I gave you examples of how just because something is lawful, it isn't right in a moral or ethical sense. You can take them or leave them as you please, but ultimately, you refuse to answer the question. Do you even have a moral compass? A sense of ethics? Or is it only the law what dictates your belief of what is right or wrong? Because as I've demonstrated, the law alone can be perverted to do great injustice.
I played a computer game like this once.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Graic Gabtar posted:

Well since you're clearly not taking this seriously.....

I won't tell you to kill you are self, but please do strongly consider having yourself painlessly euthanised as soon as the law allows you to do so. If it's legal, it's right, right?

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

Well since you're clearly not taking this seriously.....

I won't tell you to kill you are self, but please do strongly consider having yourself painlessly euthanised as soon as the law allows you to do so. If it's legal, it's right, right?

Ahhh, you know people asking me to go kill myself is the money shot.

Let me remind me, YOU were the one asking for my opinion - angling for a bit of fun no doubt?

Well it's been good so far, keep it up.

You ask endless questions, yet give no answers of your own.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Whatever you say, Herr Doktor Mengele. :godwinning:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Graic Gabtar posted:

Ahhh, you know people asking me to go kill myself is the money shot.

Let me remind me, YOU were the one asking for my opinion - angling for a bit of fun no doubt?

Well it's been good so far, keep it up.

You ask endless questions, yet give no answers of your own.

You've made your point of view painfully clear to us all. I ask questions to understand why you've come to that point of view as well as to see what moral or ethical beliefs you have that have guided you to such a view.

If you have no wish in sharing them, I can understand your reluctance and shame that you might feel in doing so. Please, don't feel obliged just because I asked.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

ScreamingLlama posted:

Whatever you say, Herr Doktor Mengele. :godwinning:

I got this one: :godwinning:

And this one: :siren:

Completely sorted.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Craig, you simply must pour gallon after gallon of my hot piss down your throat

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Graig Gabtar, can you accept that somebody believing that people arriving by boat to claim asylum should be allowed to is a legitimate position?

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Drugs posted:

Craig, you simply must pour gallon after gallon of my hot piss down your throat

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Les Affaires posted:

Graig Gabtar, can you accept that somebody believing that people arriving by boat to claim asylum should be allowed to is a legitimate position?

Is it legal for them to do so? According to the book of Craig, if not, then no it's not right.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

CrazyTolradi posted:

You've made your point of view painfully clear to us all. I ask questions to understand why you've come to that point of view as well as to see what moral or ethical beliefs you have that have guided you to such a view.

If you have no wish in sharing them, I can understand your reluctance and shame that you might feel in doing so. Please, don't feel obliged just because I asked.
It's OK Nazi boy, there's nothing more evil than a nice strong belief in the democratic process and on balance that the people we elect will get it right more often than not or be tossed out by a mob that will fix it.

To take your drama to the other extreme without faith in this process I imagine the streets would likely be lined with hanged drug dealers, murderers and pedos. Anyone on the dole would be on the chain gang and your precious illegal entrants would probably be machine gunned on sight.

Sorry, I'm just caught up in your North Korea drama.

gently caress, I must be some kind of monster for believing in democracy and our system of government.

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!
If you're not prepared to accept that your democracy can be fallible you aren't grown up enough to have a democracy

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
Who the gently caress is this "Drugs" person. I blocked him about 2 minutes after I first posted here but every time I catch a snippet of this clearly imaginative person they are insistent that I drink their piss.

There seems to be no quid pro quo to this offer.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I don't understand.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Fruity Gordo posted:

If you're not prepared to accept that your democracy can be fallible you aren't grown up enough to have a democracy
See comment above.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Stop replying to Craig idiots.

Lol @ tolradi writing essays for trolls. Surely you have something better to do with your time.

In other news I'm furious that the greens have come out with boohoo Fraser poo poo.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Fraser is now entirely biodegradable and carbon neutral, it matches up with Greens policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Graic Gabtar posted:

It's OK Nazi boy, there's nothing more evil than a nice strong belief in the democratic process and on balance that the people we elect will get it right more often than not or be tossed out by a mob that will fix it.

To take your drama to the other extreme without faith in this process I imagine the streets would likely be lined with hanged drug dealers, murderers and pedos. Anyone on the dole would be on the chain gang and your precious illegal entrants would probably be machine gunned on sight.

Sorry, I'm just caught up in your North Korea drama.

gently caress, I must be some kind of monster for believing in democracy and our system of government.

Sorry, are you saying just because the majority vote for it, it's ok? I'm confused by your strawmen and sarcasm as to what your actual point is here.

As Fruity has pointed out, democracy isn't infallible, it does fail but of course if you're just willing to shovel all your worries onto the government and the democratic system and hope they'll take care of the rest, what more can I say? You're saying what sums up to "It's better to not worry and have blind faith that it'll work out."

I'm not sure when that's really worked.

• Locked thread