Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I thought FJ was easy, 1950s foreign born author with multiple V's in the name. Who else could match that description? The surprise for me was how Alex pronounced his last name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Island Nation posted:

I thought FJ was easy, 1950s foreign born author with multiple V's in the name. Who else could match that description? The surprise for me was how Alex pronounced his last name.

I don't think my answer of Vladamir Nabidontfuckingknowtheguywhowrotelolita would have been accepted.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Had no idea for tonight's, since I'm rear end at literature. The multiple "v"s should've tipped me off, though...

Still, the name Vivian Darkbloom was nagging in the back of my head for some reason I didn't realize until late last night. It's the name of a character in a Quest (read: CYOA) on /tg/ last year, which started right before I taped my episode in March, even if I didn't find and get into it until May... Apparently, people in those threads figured it out long before I got into it, and I just skimmed over their realization, which would've helped. The Quest runner was a self-described literature buff, so I should've known something was up...

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
This is a perfect example of different things being dead easy for different people. Sure, I got the prime number thing wrong, but had the letters unscrambled before Alex was done reading.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

So glad Jeopardy doesn't air on CBS here in NYC, because otherwise it'd be preempted by March Madness. I give entirely no shits about college basketball, and I'm glad it doesn't really affect my TV viewing habits.

Also, why the hell did I decide to wade into the Jeopardy Facebook page? People bitch entirely too much on there. Some of it might be justified if the judges legit get a ruling wrong, but most of it is just pointless, but I still take a look anyway, if only to run into other former contestants and champions there...

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

So glad Jeopardy doesn't air on CBS here in NYC, because otherwise it'd be preempted by March Madness. I give entirely no shits about college basketball, and I'm glad it doesn't really affect my TV viewing habits.

Also, why the hell did I decide to wade into the Jeopardy Facebook page? People bitch entirely too much on there. Some of it might be justified if the judges legit get a ruling wrong, but most of it is just pointless, but I still take a look anyway, if only to run into other former contestants and champions there...

Maybe this is why my PVR hasn't recorded it for the past two days, I record the Boston feed but seeing as I'm in Vancouver I have no idea about things like this.

At least today I noticed before 7:30 and recorded the local one.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

HookShot posted:

Maybe this is why my PVR hasn't recorded it for the past two days, I record the Boston feed but seeing as I'm in Vancouver I have no idea about things like this.

At least today I noticed before 7:30 and recorded the local one.

When I was in Boston at the beginning of the month for my gig Enforcing at PAX East, I had no idea that Jeopardy aired on CBS there, and that it's on at 7:30, after Wheel. Thought I was going to miss it when me and my friends finally got into our hotel room in the middle of the city around 7:20 after stopping for some shopping at a local BJs and then hitting evening rush hour traffic into the city as I misread his phone's GPS when giving directions.

We started the trip around 11:30, with my friend driving from southern Brooklyn to western Queens in the middle of a snowstorm to pick all of us up before we finally left the Bronx around 2pm, so I guess we made decent time on the trip, the detours notwithstanding. Insisted on watching that episode of Jeopardy before we walked 10 minutes to Chinatown for dinner before walking another 10 minutes to the convention center for Enforcer check-in, paperwork, and badges. Turns out that the people responsible for that left at 8, right after Jeopardy ended, so we had no chance of getting our stuff done even if I hadn't stayed for the episode what with the time we spent at dinner.

We did get to talk with the Enforcer coordinator despite not being able to get our stuff, then popped over to the hotel next door to meet with some Enforcer buddies of mine that I know from them also being from NY and working at New York Comic Con.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"Bull Run" and "Bunker Hill" for an event re-enacted at Little Big Horn, Montana are up there with the dumbest answers I've ever heard. I'm betting the first guy thought "Sitting Bull" and then that got garbled but the second one I have no idea.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

GhostStalker posted:

Boston ... misread his phone's GPS when giving directions.

Welcome to Boston, that's pretty much par for the course!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Colonial Air Force posted:

Welcome to Boston, that's pretty much par for the course!

Tell me about it! We were originally to take I-90 in, then head downtown to the Omni Parker House, where we were staying, but we hit traffic and the GPS told us we'd get there faster via Storrow Drive along the Charles River. That was full of traffic as well, but then I misread the GPS directions and didn't tell him to get off around Cambridge St, so we wound up driving past the hospital, the dam, the Museum of Science, North Station, and the TD Garden before coming out on I-93 south of the bridge and getting off around Haymarket. Then my bad directions get us turned around again downtown before we finally get to Congress to Court to Tremont and the hotel. My friend had to drive around the block again before space opened up in front of the place to allow us to unload and get a valet voucher for parking there...

Next time, I'll just take a Chinatown bus to South Station and walk it. Once you get used to the streets looping back in on themselves downtown, and get your bearings, walking around isn't so bad... A lot harder to navigate than the grid of Manhattan, but not all that bad, I guess...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Double post, but apparently WABC, my ABC affiliate in New York (ABC 7) is currently re-airing the episode of Jeopardy! before mine this evening at Jeopardy's normal time here. Noticed that last week, they aired the episode 2 prior to mine. So I guess my episode will be reaired next Saturday at 7. If your local affiliate is rerunning episodes on Saturdays and you want to see me insult my cousin Arthur Chiu again and make a fool of myself, watch it again then!

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Oh my goodness Gautam just stop.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Cup of Hemlock posted:

Yeah he's not as funny as he thinks he is. I was impressed by Cindy's comeback and rooting for her, but welp.

I guessed Rodin because he's the only sculptor I really know.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Cindy gave so many dumb answers in the first round that I wanted her to lose on that basis alone.

But yeah, Gautham. Oh dear.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

zakharov posted:

Yeah he's not as funny as he thinks he is. I was impressed by Cindy's comeback and rooting for her, but welp.

I guessed Rodin because he's the only sculptor I really know.

Haha I guessed Rodin for exactly the same reason.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The only famous two person sculpture I know off the top of my head is the Pieta, and I know that was carved by Michelangelo, so that's what I guessed after thinking on it a bit.

Cindy was doing pretty poorly there, but she almost pulled it out there at the end. And I agree that Gautham was pretty tiring this episode.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cup of Hemlock posted:

I hate this poo poo because you aint gonna get through every category if you keep making commentary whenever you choose the next clue. How do these clowns get past audition.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Also, he laughs like a Muppet.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

Also, he laughs like a Muppet.

"What is B-School HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH"

and I'm just like :stare:

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Missed the first couple of minutes of this last episode because of ABC7 reporting on the East Village building gas explosion, fire and collapse (RIP Pommes Frites). Al seemed like he'd do well, and he was pretty eager to get at it, too. I think the judges missed the fact that he didn't answer a question in the Double Jeopardy round in the form of a question, though. The "Straits of Hormuz" clue.

Didn't get Final Jeopardy either, since I forgot about the Maine. Still, the aircraft category was pretty cool, especially with Trebek sitting in that Viper (aka the F-16 Fighting Falcon).

Also, so many people salty online about Michelle Obama's appearance on that category two days ago. I really don't get it.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

GhostStalker posted:

Also, so many people salty online about Michelle Obama's appearance on that category two days ago. I really don't get it.
Her husband is the president and is black.

Also, Jacqueline is goddamn terrible at geography. Thinks the Namib is connected to the Sahara, that India and Indonesia are next to each other, and when she has to remember the Maine she chooses a random other state instead. :v:

TheOneAndOnlyT fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 27, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did she forget to put her weave on before filming that clue?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

zVxTeflon posted:

Did she forget to put her weave on before filming that clue?

Apparently her hair was pulled back. People thought she shaved it off or something...

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Her husband is the president and is black.

Yeah, but even looking at the state of current events, I wouldn't even expect to see people saying that they turned off the episode or were never going to watch Jeopardy ever again due to what they saw as pandering. People complaining about Michelle Obama's school lunch nutrition push as well... I mean, it's only a 5 minute appearance on a TV show! Get over it!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

GhostStalker posted:

I mean, it's only a 5 minute appearance on a TV show! Get over it!

Don't ever go to the Fox News website and read the commentaries on a Michelle Obama story.

Just. Don't.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Don't ever go to the Fox News website and read the commentaries on a Michelle Obama story.

Just. Don't.

The Jeopardy Facebook page was enough. I wouldn't subject myself to that...

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

drat the two challengers today were pretty fuckin good

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

drat the two challengers today were pretty fuckin good

That was entertaining to watch, especially with each of them on daily double.

That said, what the hell were they thinking with final? I got that before the reading was finished. 1948? The Bible? Did they forget history or were foreign languages outside their wheelhouse?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Island Nation posted:

That was entertaining to watch, especially with each of them on daily double.

That said, what the hell were they thinking with final? I got that before the reading was finished. 1948? The Bible? Did they forget history or were foreign languages outside their wheelhouse?

I completely blanked on Final today. Not at all familiar with the Bible, but I guess after hindsight, context should've been enough to get it.

But still, the two of them put up a very good game tonight. The new champ has been posting up a storm on the Jeopardy Facebook page leading up to his appearance today.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Double post again, but they didn't reshow my episode of Jeopardy! today even though they showed the one previous to mine last week.It actually looks like they're showing the episode from the Monday after my episode aired, since I recognize the champ, Jill, as the one who paid for our cab ride back to the hotel after she won the last episode of my day of taping.

drat you random Saturday syndication schedules! I actually wanted to see my episode again on TV! I have a copy of the episode saved on my PC, but it's not the same as seeing it on television...

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 29, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
:siren: Test registration now open, get in :siren:

https://www.jeopardy.com/onlinetests/adult/thetest/?utm_source=spe&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=aprilOT_announce_033015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Bah, I see no option for someone who already appeared on the show to take the test for funsies, especially after the changed up their test registration page and process. Looks like I won't be able to see how I'd do this time around unless something changes later...

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
You could just sign up for the test for real and tell them whats up if/when you get called (again).

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

You could just sign up for the test for real and tell them whats up if/when you get called (again).

That's what I'm probably going to wind up doing. Probably there'll be a questionnaire before or after the test that'll clarify these things, asking whether I'm able to actually qualify for an appearance, I dunno.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

What is dredge?

What is dredge?

I mean, really, what is it?

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Michael killing it again, making Final matter a lot less. I guessed Amy Tan, but use of the term "Oriental" should've made me pick Pearl Buck instead.

They sure were tripping over the category titles today, weren't they?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Is it possible to register for one outside your time zone? I work during the east coast test but can make the other two.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, for this step you just register, and then when it comes time, you take whichever test you want.

Apparently New York isn't an audition city this year? That is some bulllllllshit.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Yeah, for this step you just register, and then when it comes time, you take whichever test you want.

Apparently New York isn't an audition city this year? That is some bulllllllshit.

Yeah, that sucks. Glad I don't have to worry about it this time.

Boston isn't too far away though, from the choices presented. I had people coming up from Baltimore and down from Boston at my audition in Times Square at 9am.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

GhostStalker posted:

That's what I'm probably going to wind up doing. Probably there'll be a questionnaire before or after the test that'll clarify these things, asking whether I'm able to actually qualify for an appearance, I dunno.

Is there some reason not to just lie? Fake name, fake everything, sure I'm eligible. And then if you do get the call just tell them the truth then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Umm maybe I'm dumb but it won't let me put in a Canadian postal code this year? What's up with that, are we not allowed to do it anymore?