Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Maybe Kojima hosed a bunch of interns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
smh if u DONT gently caress interns

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Bicyclops posted:

Patching his content out of the PC version of a game is bizarrely petty though, although I wouldn't be surprised if that's him asking to be erased out of spite over whatever the disagreement was.
Excels was pulling our legs, the Save Kojima mission is in still in Ground Zeroes.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Accordion Man posted:

Excels was pulling our legs, the Save Kojima mission is in still in Ground Zeroes.

taint reaped ag- wait what the gently caress?!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

I believed a thing Excels read on 4chan or Gamefaqs and quickly reposted without checking again, didn't I?

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
that was the only thing that i couldn't find hard proof of but it made sense in tandem with all the other things i posted, which are true and you can google them

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

only a matter of time, though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If that day ever comes I immortalized Kojima in a Steam screenshot so his part in the game will never be forgotten.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Excels posted:

what is it that makes game development a million-dollar costly affair?

what stops a AAA company from making something as good as Hotline Miami or Metroid Prime?
Good news! There IS a AAA Dev Megacorp that makes small, cheap, high quality games using small, highly talented indie-style teams!

Bad news! It's Ubisoft.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

So is Kojima gonna be a full time Mega64 member now or what

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sleeveless posted:

-The Half-Life 2 formula was getting old when Ep 2 came out in 2007, not even the developers can pretend to be interested in a linear shooter with health packs and giant seesaws anymore.

This seems like a reason to make HL3, not a reason not to. The last game is getting long in the tooth, so now's a good time to rework poo poo.

Blister
Sep 8, 2000

Hair Elf

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This seems like a reason to make HL3, not a reason not to. The last game is getting long in the tooth, so now's a good time to rework poo poo.

That's basically what Newell said, not that it was canceled, if a group of dudes at Valve want to make HL3 and have good ideas he's going to let them make it. There just isn't anyone stepping up or has given him something good.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Kojima will pretty much be able to do whatever he wants to now and I'm ready to see what it is :)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Blister posted:

That's basically what Newell said, not that it was canceled, if a group of dudes at Valve want to make HL3 and have good ideas he's going to let them make it. There just isn't anyone stepping up or has given him something good.

i liked the one panel where a guy asked him when it was coming out and he replied, "if you know enough to ask, you already know what the answer is"

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I can't imagine how batshit insane Kojima games will be now that he doesn't have execs to reign him in.

Maybe it'll be less crazy cause he has less angst about being forced to keep making MGS games. :shrug:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I hope he goes to work for Grasshopper studios.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Dunno if this is the right place to ask, but is there a decent gaming news site out there that isn't universally hated for some reason or other? I'd been using Joystiq to keep abreast of things but now that they're gone I'm looking for a new RSS feed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you find one, let me know.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Konami has gone full Megaman with the Kojima incident.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

-The Half-Life 2 formula was getting old when Ep 2 came out in 2007, not even the developers can pretend to be interested in a linear shooter with health packs and giant seesaws anymore.

Agreed. The mefdium of video games has long since evolved past crude holdovers like "health packs", which drag the players time and attention away from our cinematic experiences and epic story's.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Then it's obvious. Kojima to make half life 3

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Valve Newell: "Kojima-san. Konichiwa. [gestures to sandwiches]"

Hideki Kojima: "I speak-a da English! Mamma mia, this gringo!"

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Kojima to join up with Platinum games.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Agreed. The mefdium of video games has long since evolved past crude holdovers like "health packs", which drag the players time and attention away from our cinematic experiences and epic story's.

ok but i dont want to do anymore physics "puzzles" Im tired of stacking boxes adn that gun that picks things up and throws them has worn out its welcome

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Golden Goat posted:

Kojima to join up with Platinum games.

That can't happen, their games would start making money.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

im still not convinced this isn't some elaborate troll or something, i will wait until the passing of April fools to decide

but it is mighty shifty

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cyberball 2072 posted:

ok but i dont want to do anymore physics "puzzles" Im tired of stacking boxes adn that gun that picks things up and throws them has worn out its welcome
yeah those are extremely bad. I mean they were terrible at the time but at least physics engine fuckery was a novelty then

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A Spider Covets posted:

im still not convinced this isn't some elaborate troll or something, i will wait until the passing of April fools to decide

but it is mighty shifty

If Konami actually took a prank this far, and in the middle of march at that, then they probably should get out of the console business (and every other business)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kojima is going to buy the Mega Man Legends license from capcom, and finish Mega Man Legends 3, but add vagina grenades.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Kojima is going to buy the Mega Man Legends license from capcom, and finish Mega Man Legends 3, but add vagina grenades.
In Japan, they're called Roll grenades.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kojima to join suda51 on killer7 sequel

make it happen.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

Kojima to join suda51 on killer7 sequel

make it happen.
The Killer 7 sequel was Vigilante 8.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

i was really looking forward to watching the husband play the new Silent Hill because i am enormous pussy and cant play scary games on my own, hope this won't mess it up. the demo spooked the gently caress out of me.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

A Spider Covets posted:

i was really looking forward to watching the husband play the new Silent Hill because i am enormous pussy and cant play scary games on my own, hope this won't mess it up. the demo spooked the gently caress out of me.

yeah same, i had the wife play pt for me after a while. for what its worth silent hills probably would have been too horror and not enough survival for what people want from silent hill games, so it might have been for the best.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

hubris.height posted:

yeah same, i had the wife play pt for me after a while. for what its worth silent hills probably would have been too horror and not enough survival for what people want from silent hill games, so it might have been for the best.

i want more horror and less survival. I liked that weird one on the Wii that was a reimagining of the first one better than all the other games.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I was really looking forward to Silent Hills for maybe just being a weird and creepy game with some cool story and thematic content, rather than the action games with extra gory monsters console horror has become or the PC games where you're completely powerless and the jumps scares are dialed up to 11 and they're just unpleasant to play.

I think there's definitely a balance to be struck between 'not scary' and 'induces PTSD' which Silent Hill used to get really well

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I wasn't aware video games could be "too scary."

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah I'm not gonna lie, Outlast just made me turn off the game and stop playing it in the end, that poo poo's too much for me

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
As a long-time fan and apologist of the series I really hope Silent Hills doesn't suck. It's been a long time since there's been a Silent Hill game that wasn't stuck in a divisive hell between "it's really not that bad you guys" and "this is the game that kills the series".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

FactsAreUseless posted:

i'm the world's biggest baby, that's the only reason. and yet horror is my favorite genre

• Locked thread