Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ruddiger posted:

Don't say things like this, it's just going to raise false hopes of Dominic West still popping up as the real Mance Rayder later.

I'm sorry, but you misspelled "Ian McShane". :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Irish Joe posted:

Are you supposed to sympathize with Cersei at all in the books? She's pretty heinous from beginning to end.

There are a handful of spots where this may be a reasonable reader reaction but in general I would say no, she's pretty despicable.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ross posted:

There are a handful of spots where this may be a reasonable reader reaction but in general I would say no, she's pretty despicable.

I like that GRRM at least tries to instill a little bit of explanation to their evilness for most characters. It makes them more human and gives the reader a twang of sympathy here and there. Like Ramsay craves a father figure, Victarion is super patriotic and does what he does for the good of the Iron Isles, Tywin is smart enough to realize that realm stability is the first order of the day, the Meereen masters view Danny as an invading force trying to destabilize the foundations of their society, the Dothraki have a strong code of honor behind their genocides, Randyll Tarley is just disappointed that his son's a softy and doesn't know how to handle that, Littlefinger is constantly picked on by everyone through all stages of his life because he's a runt from a crap family, Walter Frey is hated because he plays outside the rules of the game but does so to give his family prominence and is kinda the only sound headed guy in Westeros up until the Red Wedding, the Hound had a terrible home life and can be persuaded to do good, Jamie is getting constantly humbled every chapter he goes through, and the list just goes on.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Even if the "spoiler" for episode 1 says Mance gets burned it may not mean much, because if I remember correctly the reader doesn't find out Mance survived until later on when he's switched out. I'd rather they actually burn him than introduce the ridiculousness of "glamouring", though.

Or maybe not. D&D are hard set on making Stannis seem like a bad dude, they may as well have actually burn one of (the only?) good Kings in the series.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Stannis burns Mance while doing an evil laugh. Then he burns Rattleshirt right after because he's gotten into it.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
How did they gently caress up Mance Rayder so bad.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
They got both Caesar and Brutus for this show and completely wasted both actors.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Doltos posted:

I like that GRRM at least tries to instill a little bit of explanation to their evilness for most characters. It makes them more human and gives the reader a twang of sympathy here and there. Like Ramsay craves a father figure, Victarion is super patriotic and does what he does for the good of the Iron Isles, Tywin is smart enough to realize that realm stability is the first order of the day, the Meereen masters view Danny as an invading force trying to destabilize the foundations of their society, the Dothraki have a strong code of honor behind their genocides, Randyll Tarley is just disappointed that his son's a softy and doesn't know how to handle that, Littlefinger is constantly picked on by everyone through all stages of his life because he's a runt from a crap family, Walter Frey is hated because he plays outside the rules of the game but does so to give his family prominence and is kinda the only sound headed guy in Westeros up until the Red Wedding, the Hound had a terrible home life and can be persuaded to do good, Jamie is getting constantly humbled every chapter he goes through, and the list just goes on.

Gregor gets headaches sometimes, Raff the Sweetling threw his back out last time he carried a helpless child

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

They got both Caesar and Brutus for this show and completely wasted both actors.

If they never go back to Edmure, the Blackfish or the Brotherhood Without Banners, it'll make the 3rd season look really weird and out of place.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

One of the odd side effects of the show and book universes diverging so much is that the books are no longer a guide for what's going on with characters and places that the show isn't covering. We've no idea what's going on in the Riverlands or with any of the players in it, the Tullys, Freys and Brotherhood have all basically vanished.

And those spoilers were pretty dynamite. From the sounds of them, they've got to be killing Mance for real - they're not doing the Rattleshirt deception if only because Rattleshirt was never captured. Plus, all Mance really gets up to in the books after his capture is the Winterfell infiltration and while some of his moves like the Pink Letter were significant they're not very hard to reassign in the plot. He never regains his position as King of the Wildlings and probably won't in the rest of the series either, so there's nothing to keep his character around for.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Mance and the spearwives' role will be replaced by Sam and Gilly, since they're probably not going to Oldtown.

Wait poo poo that could actually happen.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Dolash posted:

And those spoilers were pretty dynamite. From the sounds of them, they've got to be killing Mance for real - they're not doing the Rattleshirt deception if only because Rattleshirt was never captured. Plus, all Mance really gets up to in the books after his capture is the Winterfell infiltration and while some of his moves like the Pink Letter were significant they're not very hard to reassign in the plot. He never regains his position as King of the Wildlings and probably won't in the rest of the series either, so there's nothing to keep his character around for.
Yeah, it honestly really felt like GRRM had nothing interesting to do with Mance, so he sent him to Winterfell.

If Mance burns for real, there's no valonqar in the prophecy, and Aegon is really, really cut (which the lack of Illyrio seems to indicate), it'll be three things that I'll like in the show over the books this season already. In one episode. That's a great start.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Bards have a really tough time appearing on the show. Tom Sevenstrings was wiped from existence, and I really liked how in AFFC he is implied to spy on the Freys and helps LS setting traps for them around Riverrun. Mance does the same in in Winterfell, it's kind of neat in showing how bards could potentially be really dangerous because nobody pays attention to them. Then there's all the bards who get tortured and killed, none of them managed to make it onto the show.

Game of Thrones: Not a Bard's Tale.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

meristem posted:

Yeah, it honestly really felt like GRRM had nothing interesting to do with Mance, so he sent him to Winterfell.

If Mance burns for real, there's no valonqar in the prophecy, and Aegon is really, really cut (which the lack of Illyrio seems to indicate), it'll be three things that I'll like in the show over the books this season already. In one episode. That's a great start.

Illyrio is definitely going to be in this season. Pretty sure the spoilers say Tyrion goes to his house in the first episode, I know there's been photos of filming at that location.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I'm skeptical that Illyrio will be back. Roger Allam is a pretty big name, and I doubt they'd get him back when they can just use Varys as his representative, saving on acting budget and giving varys a bigger part.

I hope I'm wrong though, I adore Roger Allam.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
That "Day in the Life" segment that aired on HBO a few weeks ago said they were filming at Ilyrio's palace. I haven't seen anything officially announcing Allam is back but it would be odd to have scenes at his home with him being absent. IMDB lists him as "rumored" for the premier.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dolash posted:

One of the odd side effects of the show and book universes diverging so much is that the books are no longer a guide for what's going on with characters and places that the show isn't covering. We've no idea what's going on in the Riverlands or with any of the players in it, the Tullys, Freys and Brotherhood have all basically vanished.

I like it, both book and show are running alternative universal stories of each other. I will be the one who decide which one will be the canon. I don't give GRRM any handicaps hurhur.

Both show and book are on the same starting line from season 5/book 6 since they don't know each other's details.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CountFosco posted:

Roger Allam is a pretty big name, and I doubt they'd get him back

You Brits are a funny people.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002
Per Reddit spoiler threads, Roger Allam was unavailable for shooting but they did incorporate Illyrio's house to show that he is still a major character in that world.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Anonymous John posted:

Per Reddit spoiler threads, Roger Allam was unavailable for shooting but they did incorporate Illyrio's house to show that he is still a major character in that world.
Yes - I thought it was already known? He is referenced in the Tyrion/Varys conversation, but he isn't there. I'm not sure if I would call that 'major', though.

So, hopefully, Aegon and any multidecade-spanning plans are cut.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

CountFosco posted:

I'm skeptical that Illyrio will be back. Roger Allam is a pretty big name, and I doubt they'd get him back when they can just use Varys as his representative, saving on acting budget and giving varys a bigger part.

I hope I'm wrong though, I adore Roger Allam.
Roger Allam does loads of stuff that you'd never think he'd do, its not a stretch to think he'll be back on the show soon.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Mike N Eich posted:

If they never go back to Edmure, the Blackfish or the Brotherhood Without Banners, it'll make the 3rd season look really weird and out of place.

They foreshadowed Blackfish returning to gently caress up old Frey at least.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

BillBear posted:

They foreshadowed Blackfish returning to gently caress up old Frey at least.

I may have missed this, could you please elaborate?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

lifts cats over head posted:

I think he might be talking about Blackfish going out to piss right before the slaughter began on the Red Wedding.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Grendels Dad posted:

Game of Thrones: Not a Bard's Tale.

The showrunners clearly want to keep the show's focus on boobs, violence and magic. No room for silly bards.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

lifts cats over head posted:

Right after the RW Roose and Walder are talking about how they have won, Roose brings up the fact BF escaped and Frey goes on about how BF has nothing and that he has Tywin backing him. Roose says " As you say". It's not the biggest thing ever but it's obvious D&D aren't done with him yet.

Source

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

BillBear posted:

Right after the RW Roose and Walder are talking about how they have won, Roose brings up the fact BF escaped and Frey goes on about how BF has nothing and that he has Tywin backing him. Roose says " As you say". It's not the biggest thing ever but it's obvious D&D aren't done with him yet.

Source

That's such a great little scene, because you *know* book Walder spent some time gloating about his evil little victory afterwards, while Roose is still cautious and planning ahead. It's show invention done right.

I still think it merely proves the show runners are keeping their options open. The Blackfish could just as likely not show up again. I hope he does though, Clive Russell really embodied the role in just a handful of scenes. If we could get some manifestation of his confrontation with Jamie at Riverrun he would do an excellent job. One of the best sequences in the books.

Mike N Eich fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 20, 2015

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Hahaha that's great. "I have Tywin Lannister backing me."

No, you do not, not even a little bit.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Is there a scene in the show where Frey isn't sitting or standing at his chair.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
^^^ Wants a Walder Frey sex scene.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Blind Melon posted:

Hahaha that's great. "I have Tywin Lannister backing me."

No, you do not, not even a little bit.

*shrugs* I'll get another

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hm, I suppose with the way things are going with the Littlefinger and Sansa plot, they might eventually set out against the Freys - Littlefinger has Harrenhal, after all, if they've got the Vale they could have the Riverlands too. I wonder if they could switch sides to Stannis, or if Stannis would even take them? Sansa will be in or around Winterfell in the time leading up to the battle between Stannis and the Boltons, she and LF aren't positioned to grab the Iron Throne directly (yet) and there's not much point to working with the decaying Lannister regime and its allies.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES

Max posted:

Is there a scene in the show where Frey isn't sitting or standing at his chair.

In his first scene he gets up and warms his rear end by the fireplace while talking to Lady Stark. I think that's it though.

Also I seem to recall that the Blackfish's actor said in an interview that the showrunners told him he'd be coming back? I know that happened with Walder's actor, but I might be mis-remembering with the BF.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

Also I seem to recall that the Blackfish's actor said in an interview that the showrunners told him he'd be coming back? I know that happened with Walder's actor, but I might be mis-remembering with the BF.

If he wasn't coming back I think they probably would have just killed him at the twins rather than bothering to have him explicitly state he was leaving.

I've always assumed that book Blackfish is on his way to gently caress up Littlefinger, since the obvious place he is running away to would be the vale.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Assuming any of the missing Season 3 cast ever make a reappearance, I assume they can conflate a bunch of stories by having Blackfish run with the Brotherhood and launch some kind of rescue attempt for Edmure and/or crash Walder Frey's next wedding. Since Lady Stardust is never gonna show up, they might as well use the angry and vengeful Blackfish instead.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

If he wasn't coming back I think they probably would have just killed him at the twins rather than bothering to have him explicitly state he was leaving.

But that was when they were writing Season 3. They might not have been 100% sure whether or not they were going to use him again a few years later, and so left it as an option.

In It For The Tank posted:

Assuming any of the missing Season 3 cast ever make a reappearance, I assume they can conflate a bunch of stories by having Blackfish run with the Brotherhood and launch some kind of rescue attempt for Edmure and/or crash Walder Frey's next wedding. Since Lady Stardust is never gonna show up, they might as well use the angry and vengeful Blackfish instead.
I wouldn't bet on the S3 minor characters being seen outside of a major character's storyline. If he somehow knew Sansa was a big fish in the Vale, I'd say have him show up there with some Freys to hang or something.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 21, 2015

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

In It For The Tank posted:

Since Lady Stardust is never gonna show up, they might as well use the angry and vengeful Blackfish instead.

Since LSH is not happening, that means Beric Dondarrion should still be alive in the show - maybe one of his last resurrections destroys his humanity completely and he starts hanging Freys?

meristem
Oct 2, 2010

Lycus posted:

But that was when they were writing Season 3. They might not have been 100% sure whether or not they were going to use him again a few years later, and so left it as an option.

I wouldn't bet on the S3 minor characters being seen outside of a major character's storyline. If he somehow knew Sansa was a big fish in the Vale, I'd say have him show up there with some Freys to hang or something.
Yeah, but dealing with the Freys seems like a nice TWOW / Season 6 filler (together with troubles in Dorne / the Reach, thanks to, pick one or more of: Euron / Trystane / fAegon (hopefully not)) while Dany gets her rear end to Westeros. So, get Blackfish together with Jaime, Brienne, the Freys, the BWB while Cersei fights the Tyrells and the Martells (and Stannis fails to protect the North).

One thing that interested me was that many of the reviewers of the first episode caught this feeling of 'this story is beginning to wrap up'. I wonder how palpable that would be if they had not known that, yes, it's planned out for 7 seasons, and yes, we're past the halfway mark now.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

meristem posted:

One thing that interested me was that many of the reviewers of the first episode caught this feeling of 'this story is beginning to wrap up'. I wonder how palpable that would be if they had not known that, yes, it's planned out for 7 seasons, and yes, we're past the halfway mark now.

Yeah, I read those reviews too, and I don't really get it after having read detailed descriptions of the episode. The first episode is just setting everything up for the season. I think the only indication that would give people the idea that they are beginning to wrap up is the revelation that Tyrion is going to meet Dany this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The titles of a few more episodes have been revealed.

Episode 5: Kill the Boy

Episode 6: Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken

Episode 7: The Gift

Presumably, the names come from Jon executing Slynt (I thought this would happen sooner, I suppose they're dragging out the election plot, the resolution of the Dorne plot (i.e. Doran revealing that he's backing Dany and Jaime escaping with a wounded Myrcella), and Arya completing her first Faceless Man kill and probably being blinded.

• Locked thread