Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

So I use dune buggies to dig up fossils, and then use those fossils to revive dinosaurs, and then use those dinosaurs to fight each other.

I refuse to believe this game wasn't designed by a 10 year old.

They're better than dinosaurs! :krad:

edit: I did play the first one last year and enjoyed it despite it being kinda bare bones in the end, so I'm looking to see how this one is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FrickenMoron posted:

Why would you not speed up hidden movement in a turn based game. Where do basic design choices go so wrong?

Most of the time you have vision over the whole, or most, of the map (the maps aren't super big).

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Looks like my non MM N3DS has an IPS screen and the hinge can slide slightly to the left and right and has loud clicks at the 3 main viewing angle. Guess I can't complain!

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

So is Codename S.T.E.A.M. the closest the 3DS has to a classic SRPG (aside from playing DS or older console SRPGs on it)?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
STEAM is Valkyria Chronicles which is definitely not old-school.

Ghost Recon Shadow Wars is probably what you want. There's also a new Langrisser game in the works that'll probably be fairly straightforward.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fire Emblem Awakening has been around for a while now, get that.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Heh, I didn't even think about FE:A (which I have) because I think of it as a "FE game" not as an "SRPG"; I've no idea why that distinction exists in my head. Thanks for the Ghost Recon tip.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Zore posted:

Why do people even use cradles? Am I missing something because it seems so much easier just to plug the thing into the port. And you can do that while still using the system.

It just feels completely unnecessary.

When you need to practice using a screwdriver, you're the kind of person that needs a lot of help with things.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

I knew there was something better about the N3DSXL screen quality that I couldn't put my finger on. That sucks for people that are stuck with the shittier screens. I guess that's why Nintendo isn't advertising this as another improvement.

Mine has a TN screen that also looks yellow compared to the bottom screen. This is really dumb.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Guess mine is fine. Or I don't give a poo poo.

One of the two. I kept looking at it from an angle and going "I dunno it looks fine" and then giving up because it doesn't matter to me because I'm still going to have a shitload of fun playing Monster Hunter 4U for 111 more hours.

Stealthed Zombie fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 20, 2015

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07qM4X15sMY

:stare: I don't know what this even is but I kind of want it. I wonder if my 10yr old cousin has heard of it yet...

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I have an IPS screen. The easiest way to tell is to highlight the Health and Safety icon (the one with the yellow caution ! symbol) so that you have the caution symbol on both your top and bottom screen, set it to 2D and then look at it from a steep angle to the left or right. The bottom screen is TN no matter what, so what you should see is the bottom symbol's colors wash out, while the top symbol stays more or less the same color. This works best in a dark room so that glare doesn't screw with it.

Edit: I freaking love this new 3DS. The only gripe I have is that if I play for over an hour and my hands start to get sweaty, there isn't enough friction to use the C-stick properly. That's probably a problem with me moreso than the system, because my hands get unusually sweaty over long play times.

Fremry fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 20, 2015

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I have the black N3DS that appears to have a TN screen. I guess it kind of sucks, but it doesn't really seem to make a difference in most play situations. Maybe if I saw one to compare in person I'd be more pissed.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So I got around to trying Pokemon Shuffle yesterday and it's... actually kind of fun? Which I really wasn't expecting from a F2P Match 3 game after playing absolute piles of poo poo like Candy Crush and that Pokemon Trozei game. I don't even mind having to wait between getting 5 hearts to play more, because 5 levels is about as much as I care about playing at any given time. I'm certainly not going to pay any actual money for it, but it's refreshing that (at least so far) it doesn't get to the point where the levels are absolute bullshit that you have to buy things to finish them.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Nettle Soup posted:

:stare: I don't know what this even is but I kind of want it. I wonder if my 10yr old cousin has heard of it yet...

The clash between 80's theme song and modern Japanese character design is messing with me. I feel like it should be like GI Joes driving those buggies around.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

raditts posted:

So I got around to trying Pokemon Shuffle yesterday and it's... actually kind of fun? Which I really wasn't expecting from a F2P Match 3 game after playing absolute piles of poo poo like Candy Crush and that Pokemon Trozei game. I don't even mind having to wait between getting 5 hearts to play more, because 5 levels is about as much as I care about playing at any given time. I'm certainly not going to pay any actual money for it, but it's refreshing that (at least so far) it doesn't get to the point where the levels are absolute bullshit that you have to buy things to finish them.

Some of the trainer battles near the end of the game you'll probably want to spend coins on to make easier, but you'll have way more than enough if that's all you use coins on.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Oh man I was hesitant to check but I believe I have an IPS screen. Only the bottom screen gets washed out on angles and the top looks sharp like my phone. It also clicks in 3 different positions.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Cool, my MH4U N3DS is an IPS screen. 3 clicks and still sharp on the top screen when the bottom gets washed out. That's pretty cool to know, but I would never have known otherwise since it's my first and only 3ds.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fuzz posted:

Looks like my non MM N3DS has an IPS screen and the hinge can slide slightly to the left and right and has loud clicks at the 3 main viewing angle. Guess I can't complain!

I think all or most New 3DS XLs have the sliding hinge with the clicks, at least with the 3 I've compared.

Should I choose Chibi-Robo!: Photo Finder or Mario and Donkey Kong: Minis on the Move as my final CL reward?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Mar 20, 2015

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

raditts posted:

It gives you gems and coins. You'll think "oh well I'll just use these gems on hearts why not"

Don't use them on hearts, save your coins for mega mawile and loving mega gengar.

gently caress you, mega gengar, I'm done.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
When it comes to TN vs IPS, you can kinda just tell your screen is better if you had a 3DS XL before. If you think it's all the same, you might have TN.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

When it comes to TN vs IPS, you can kinda just tell your screen is better if you had a 3DS XL before. If you think it's all the same, you might have TN.

Or you can just do what I said above. The bottom screen is TN on all 3DS's even if they have an IPS top screen. Use the caution symbol and look at it from an angle. If the bottom symbol washes out and the top one doesn't, you have IPS. If they both wash out, you have TN.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Fremry posted:

Or you can just do what I said above. The bottom screen is TN on all 3DS's even if they have an IPS top screen. Use the caution symbol and look at it from an angle. If the bottom symbol washes out and the top one doesn't, you have IPS. If they both wash out, you have TN.

:effort:

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
I'm kinda curious if maybe the first run of New 3DS's were TN, because I bought mine a month after it came out and I bought it at a Gamestop in Philadelphia which I assume probably went through at least one shipment in that time. I could be wrong, but if they changed to IPS, it wouldn't make much sense for them to go back to TN, nor would it make sense to have two different manufacturing processes.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
In other news: Natsume has confirmed that A-Train: City Simulator - that other transport tycoon simulator - is coming this April in the US. Europe will probably follow suit shortly after when they get a pass from the rating agencies.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Fremry posted:

I'm kinda curious if maybe the first run of New 3DS's were TN, because I bought mine a month after it came out and I bought it at a Gamestop in Philadelphia which I assume probably went through at least one shipment in that time. I could be wrong, but if they changed to IPS, it wouldn't make much sense for them to go back to TN, nor would it make sense to have two different manufacturing processes.

I got my MM on launch day and it's IPS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

noirstronaut posted:

I got my MM on launch day and it's IPS.

Launch day has nothing to do with batch numbers or production dates. If the switchover is during the time the MM 3DS's were being made, its a complete gamble regardless.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Is IPS the better screen? Because it's what I got on my N3DS. That said, how does this really matter?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Dr. Fetus posted:

Is IPS the better screen? Because it's what I got on my N3DS. That said, how does this really matter?

Whatever you have is the best and you should be happy.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Barely, if at all. The biggest difference is viewing angle, which doesn't mean poo poo for a handheld console. Unless you have someone else looking at the screen next to you all the time. Otherwise, there's some color difference, but again, this doesn't mean poo poo on a handheld.

It's just a thing to take note of if you care. Otherwise, ignore safely.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
People who sell their consoles will probably be able to make it seem like IPS is the better of the two and sell it for more.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is the Amiibo thing for Codename Steam not working yet? Because I don't think anyone has mentioned how Marth plays.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

Is the Amiibo thing for Codename Steam not working yet? Because I don't think anyone has mentioned how Marth plays.

They work. Ike is a poo poo character who has nothing unique besides some really weak melee AOE and even gets Henry's special ability. Marth is sorta in the same boat (melee is way undertuned) but being able to not trigger reaction fire makes him amazing on the levels you can hop between all the steam refillers and just get to the end.

Also they're stuck with their subweapons (Rapier and Urvan) which don't really help.

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 20, 2015

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Nettle Soup posted:

Wait, is that Brentalfloss doing that theme?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tae posted:

They are remarkably mediocre and when the game shits the bed in the later chapters they are outright useless and bringing one along would be nearly the same as only leaving with 3 party members.

I have no idea why they thought making them so weak was a good idea. Maybe Robin and Lucina will be different but Ike and Marth suck.

Also I don't know how people get Lion to work, maybe it's because I only tried him out again in the later chapters when the game cheats all the time but every time I'd have him lion launch he'd get overwatched to hell and back.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
The game really punishes over extension both for players and the aliens. Lion can be used really effectively to get into good positions but you can't use him to leap way out with any real effect. More like getting into high spots close to your main group or just making it way easier to get to those cog pickups.

Verno5x
Aug 23, 2003

CRAFT OR DIE
I posted a thread on SA:Mart and one of the people replied and suggested that I ask here. I'm ~120 points short of Paper Mario on Club Nintendo. Does anyone know a good way to bridge that points gap? Alternatively, is anyone selling unused Club Nintendo codes?

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Verno5x posted:

I posted a thread on SA:Mart and one of the people replied and suggested that I ask here. I'm ~120 points short of Paper Mario on Club Nintendo. Does anyone know a good way to bridge that points gap? Alternatively, is anyone selling unused Club Nintendo codes?

Sticker Star? Because that is super cheap online: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...HT5FXHKLQI7AL7K

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm just going to say I have an IPS without even checking because who gives a poo poo. If you are playing your 3ds from some weird angle then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Verno5x posted:

At that point just buy the game geez