Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Herring
Apr 3, 2010
Got Emperor on Thornblade.

Look how sexy I am. My chums and I outside Farragut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Wow, how big is your sock?

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Nice work.

I'm impressed DC can get an emperor at all. Is Thornblade the NA campaign where they generally do best? I just restarted playing, and i remember always getting rolled over by AD.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Healing Nightblade owns.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Dante18907 posted:

Is this actually worth playing now? I played in the beta and was not impressed. Is it worth 60bux?

I think it is. I didn't like the beta, either. I picked it up at the recommendation of a friend, about two weeks ago. It feels excellent, now. The PvE combat really shines. I haven't tried PvP, yet.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Stanley Pain posted:

Healing Nightblade owns.

Stamina based DW/Bow is starting to get decent now that they've changed some of the morphs. It's still on the low end of good builds though.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kaddish posted:

Stamina based DW/Bow is starting to get decent now that they've changed some of the morphs. It's still on the low end of good builds though.

Yeah I run bow with some siphoning + invis as my alternate weapon set when I need to kill people dead. I find melee builds for nightblade rely a bit too much on ultimate usage, but it could also be that I suck at melee combat ;)

Resto Staff + Siphoning makes you surprisingly durable and all the leech/bleed/slow effects you can stack on people makes you valuable in small group play too.

IRSmurf posted:

I think it is. I didn't like the beta, either. I picked it up at the recommendation of a friend, about two weeks ago. It feels excellent, now. The PvE combat really shines. I haven't tried PvP, yet.

The PVP content in this game is probably some of the best 3 way RvR style MMO PVP we've had in a long time. Cyrodil is an amazingly crafted map that creates tons of really interesting PVP encounters.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I'm going bow/2h nightblade, mostly because I want to sneak around and debuff/murder fools from 40m+ away in pvp.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Bow NB is hilarious in PVP.

I'm that motherfucker that hits you and your best friends with a forty to eighty percent movement speed debuff when you're trying to flee into the castle as a huge zerg approaches. :unsmigghh:

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

IRSmurf posted:

It feels excellent, now. The PvE combat really shines.

I feel like we're playing different games. The combat feels just a little less clunky than Morrowind, which was released almost 13 years ago. I started as a Nightblade because I love stealthy and rogue kinds of gameplay but switched to the magic class because it's the least clunky way to fight. Well, it's still clunky, but it's better than hitting your opponent with heavy attacks and not even seeing him flinch.

It's really frustrating since I like every other aspect of the game a lot, but that main gameplay portion feels so bland and dated it negates all of the other stuff they've managed to pull off pretty well. It's so drat disheartening, since we have all of the technology and talent it would require to make a really engaging MMO with great, satisfying, realtime combat but for some reason we still get this clunky, unsatisfying grindy gameplay.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Archonex posted:

Bow NB is hilarious in PVP.

I'm that motherfucker that hits you and your best friends with a forty to eighty percent movement speed debuff when you're trying to flee into the castle as a huge zerg approaches. :unsmigghh:

What abilities do you use? I'm a Bosmer NB and I was thinking of like:

Lethal Arrow
Piercing Mark
Crippling Grasp
Anti. Cav Caltrops
Scorched Earth (for lack of a better idea)

No idea on ult.

Does Piercing Mark break you out of sneak when you use it?

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Scyantific posted:

Is this gaudy enough to be worn proudly as our Goon tabbard?

This is beautiful; all of my characters will be wearing it tonight :circlefap:

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Tsurupettan posted:

Nope. I use Reaper's Mark but Piercing is probably better for PVP

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider

Mr Scumbag posted:

I feel like we're playing different games. The combat feels just a little less clunky than Morrowind, which was released almost 13 years ago. I started as a Nightblade because I love stealthy and rogue kinds of gameplay but switched to the magic class because it's the least clunky way to fight. Well, it's still clunky, but it's better than hitting your opponent with heavy attacks and not even seeing him flinch.

It's really frustrating since I like every other aspect of the game a lot, but that main gameplay portion feels so bland and dated it negates all of the other stuff they've managed to pull off pretty well. It's so drat disheartening, since we have all of the technology and talent it would require to make a really engaging MMO with great, satisfying, realtime combat but for some reason we still get this clunky, unsatisfying grindy gameplay.

Wow I couldn't disagree more. I think you should be comparing the combat to other MMO-types rather than to single-player games, since this is an MMO above all else. ESO has the most fun combat I've seen in a traditional MMO - I'm totally addicted (again).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Should Khajiit and Argonians be able to choose their skeletal structures during Character Creation?

<<Multi Paragraph Post>>

:suicide:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So how does the alternate skill bar work? Can I just load two skill bars up with a bunch of skills I like or do I have to have it switch over to a different weapon type?

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Bob NewSCART posted:

So how does the alternate skill bar work? Can I just load two skill bars up with a bunch of skills I like or do I have to have it switch over to a different weapon type?

You can have the same weapon type in both and just switch back and forth.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Britt Burns posted:

I think you should be comparing the combat to other MMO-types rather than to single-player games, since this is an MMO above all else.

Hmmm. I know what you're saying, but still. As much as I much, MUCH prefer an active battle system in an MMO, I'd still prefer WoW's "hit a number and wait for cooldowns" system over ESO, simply because they pull off their system better than ESO pulls off theirs, and I think that would be hard to argue against. As for comparing ESO to single player Elder Scrolls games: I think it's weird that not only is the combat clunkier than the single player games, but in an MMO where you are going to spend way more time with a character (and in combat) than in the single player games, the skill system is far more limited and take far, far longer to develop. Even considering the obvious tropes and "limitations" of MMOs, I can easily see why so many people wrote ESO off, and I'm saying this as someone who is trying as hard as I can to stay on board. I love the world, the crafting, the voice over, the missions structure, etc. It's just the clunky-rear end combat that I'm having a great deal of trouble getting past, and in an MMO, the combat is probably the most important aspect.

Then again, maybe I'm doing something wrong, or there's something I can do to make my experience better. I'm 100% open to build and gameplay suggestions. I really want to keep playing this game.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Tsurupettan posted:

What abilities do you use? I'm a Bosmer NB and I was thinking of like:

Lethal Arrow
Piercing Mark
Crippling Grasp
Anti. Cav Caltrops
Scorched Earth (for lack of a better idea)

No idea on ult.

Magnum Shot
Cripple
Arrow Spray
That one skill that leeches HP off of people at an increased rate with a morph.
A utility skill like that invisibility skill or a range closer like teleport strike to keep applying debuffs depending on the situation

Are what I tend to run with. Arrow spray applies an AOE 40 percent movement debuff at close range while cripple is hysterical for kiting and making people die panicked deaths. It debuffs their speed by 40 percent while applying a DOT. Which means it's not possible to heal up at an out of combat rate. Plus, it boosts your movement speed by 40 percent as well. The latter of which lets you zip around the battlefield nailing melee characters in the face or rear end with arrows as they frantically try to get in striking distance of you or escape.

I tend to hover at the edge of the zergs looking for targets to pick off or gently caress with. So many people play PVP in this game to be an awesome tanking murder machine that just can't be stopped in "honorable" single combat. So imagine their reaction when they see a huge zerg coming their way and turn to retreat. Only for some rear end in a top hat to leap out of stealth and apply a bunch of debuffs on them before disappearing as a bloodthirsty horde of players barrels around the corner. :v:

I switch to something more serious for real fights. But holy poo poo have I gotten some angry reactions from that trick.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 20, 2015

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

Archonex posted:

But holy poo poo have I gotten some angry reactions from that trick.

The most important question now is, can people cross-faction send tells to each other in mass pvp? Because rage-tells are the best thing.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Mr Scumbag posted:

It sounds like you're mostly just using your basic attack and heavy attack, you're supposed to be doing most of your damage from abilities.

edit: If Im misinterpreting that sorry, maybe post your build and we can see what you are doing. Combat is supposed to go pretty fast in this game and so if you're feeling it is clunky and grindy something sounds off.

Berke Negri fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Berke Negri posted:

It sounds like you're mostly just using your basic attack and heavy attack, you're supposed to be doing most of your damage from abilities.

Actually, it's exceedingly rare I use either. I deliberately came up with a dual resource build so I can reliably kill mobs in a few hits. If I ever need to use a basic attack, it's a quick melee to finish someone off when I miscalculate a killing blow with a skill.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Please add to OP

Snayke
Mar 5, 2009

GuyUpNorth posted:

They apparently have nifty passive for tanking, and of course you get pretty exclusive crafting style. If that's not your thing, you can just get Explorer's Pack to lift faction-race restrictions or go with three natives.

Ah, so the crafting thing is mainly a cosmetic thing? I imagine the equipment you make using the Imperial style is on par with other styles. As for the Explorer's Pack, apparently that is no longer available? I did a bit of a google search. Although you can get a CD key from some websites but I am not sure how much I wanna use that. I guess if I really wanted, I could just make different characters for the different factions.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Morph Arrow Spray into Bombard. It roots them AND then applies the snare.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Morph Arrow Spray into Bombard. It roots them AND then applies the snare.

This is amazing. I'm going to need to spend a point on the morph now. :allears:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Turk posted:

Invite @turk1701 to the DC (my mains are DC) and crafting guilds I suppose.

sent

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Mr Scumbag posted:

Actually, it's exceedingly rare I use either. I deliberately came up with a dual resource build so I can reliably kill mobs in a few hits. If I ever need to use a basic attack, it's a quick melee to finish someone off when I miscalculate a killing blow with a skill.
What do you feel is clunky? I find the system to be fluid and responsive, and the block, dodge, interrupt system us great. Skyrim also has combat that is clunky as hell. ESOs magic system is definitely more fluid.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
When PVEing I find I get annoyed/bothered by other players when I actually encounter them out in the world more often than not.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I haven't played since the beta. Back then I was not impressed with the terribly boring design of the world (Yay elves and generic castles. I've seen this poo poo in Skyrim), and the gameplay was slow and boring. But most of my gamer friends are now raving about how good it is. What have they done to improve?

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Mr Scumbag posted:

You might try threading light attacks and partial - charge heavies into your ability usage. It performs better, feels more active, and is more challenging to make work. It is also what will be expected in high end dungeon or trial runs.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Can the rare fish on Bleakrock be caught with insect parts or only worms?

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer
After playing the beta I decided to try this out one more time. Stole a cool set of heavy armor for my sorcerer Nord, stole a two handed battle axe from some trunk in somebody's house and I'm jumping on top of skeletons with my axe and striking them down with lightning. This game owns again. :black101:

Is the game really this open with being able to change up your playstyle like other Elder Scrolls games? Would I screw myself down the road if I kept playing as a two handed sorcerer with heavy armor? I feel really powerful at the moment doing stuff and I hope it doesn't die out at some point.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

CruzerZERO posted:

After playing the beta I decided to try this out one more time. Stole a cool set of heavy armor for my sorcerer Nord, stole a two handed battle axe from some trunk in somebody's house and I'm jumping on top of skeletons with my axe and striking them down with lightning. This game owns again. :black101:

Is the game really this open with being able to change up your playstyle like other Elder Scrolls games? Would I screw myself down the road if I kept playing as a two handed sorcerer with heavy armor? I feel really powerful at the moment doing stuff and I hope it doesn't die out at some point.

You can roll with whatever. My VR dk wears medium armor and sneaks around with a bow.

Now, you can't really do like, all magicka stat dump and then only use stamina abilities, that's dumb. But any class can do anything it wants with some basic understanding of how builds work.

Envy Insanity
Oct 2, 2003

Have gone to commit suicide. Intend to return from grave Friday. Feed cat.
Just started up. Would love an invite to the guilds. @jackhudson2012

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Archonex posted:

This is amazing. I'm going to need to spend a point on the morph now. :allears:
One of my alt runs Volley with the Scorched Earth morph and Bombard.
I open up with Scorched Earth, and then hit the enemies with Bombard, rooting them in the AoE. Then I either use Venom Arrow on enemies using interruptable attacks, or just spam Bombard until they all die. It works great against most groups of enemies.
Of course enemies immune to rooting effects need to be danced around to get the most damage out of my AoE.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

To be a werewolf I can either do a lovely quest or ask a cool goon to come bite me in the low level EP zones, right?

If so, someone bite me please. :v:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Tsurupettan posted:

To be a werewolf I can either do a lovely quest or ask a cool goon to come bite me in the low level EP zones, right?

If so, someone bite me please. :v:

I'm pretty sure that for werewolves or vampires you just don't just do a quest, you have to have one of the rare world spawns (there's at least a couple in each zone past a certain level, and they share spawns with the other world spawn ambush type fights) be up, fight it, and then have a percentage chance of contracting the disease from it. AND THEN there's a quest.

Or you get bit by a player.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

Or you get bit by a player. and then there's a quest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I got infected last night apparently. And of course I gotta get like 6 levels before I can infect others once every 7 days.

• Locked thread