Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

betteridge's law isn't a "law" in the legal sense, it's an observation of the truth of the universe. like newton's law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

duTrieux. posted:

asking some legal friends about the amicus curiae process, will report back in event of fruitfullnes

if think if you actually wanted to do this, the best way would be to tip off the opposing lawyer, and then they can fetch the comments from the primary source if they think it will help their case

but i am very much not a lawyer

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lol

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

introducing, Uber Safe™

ultramiraculous posted:

listen, you're kidding yourself if the claim of 'safety' was ever anything but a dogwhistle.

yeah. its likely "safer" because it requires you to have a suitable phone and the rudimentary ratings system keeps out the undesirables. and since the trip is paid electronically, arguing over money is less likely to be a thing.
there's a fair bit of self-selection bias which could be argued makes the service 'safer'. so it will be funny watching the lawyers talk around the fact that they have more white drivers and that they don't pick up poors, crazies and the homeless.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

[bubbling intensifies]

quote:

Fast-growing San Francisco cleaning service startup Homejoy is the latest Bay Area company to be hit with a labor lawsuit about its business practice using independent contractors.
Both Uber and Lyft are battling similar lawsuits in California courtrooms. The issue was a Business Times subject of a cover story which explored why such litigation could be a game changer for sharing economy businesses.

There are two Homejoy lawsuits, according to the Recorder legal newspaper. One is a lawsuit that aims to become a employee class action. The second alleges Homejoy fails to pay its workers minimum wage, overtime and requires house cleaners to pay their own business-related expenses, among other things.

Homejoy officials couldn't be reached for comment, the Recorder said.

The lawsuits argues "cleaners are an integral part of Homejoy's business of providing cleaning services, among other services, to its customers."
However, Homejoy's terms of service say it "is not a cleaning service provider," but merely a "venue" or a "platform" that connects consumers to cleaners in their area, the Recorder says.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
Do you think that uber drivers rate all 'undesireables' aka non-whites a 1, so that other drivers won't pick them up, etc etc etc

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

okay so an amicus really only comes into play in an appellate court, so trying to file anything now would be too soon

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

duTrieux. posted:

okay so an amicus really only comes into play in an appellate court, so trying to file anything now would be too soon

you could still contact one of the taxi companies involved tho

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

qirex posted:

[bubbling intensifies]

was this the company ythat had that thing posted about them recently like about their office bro culture and etc ? or what was another company that was a angies list in app form ?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Smythe posted:

was this the company ythat had that thing posted about them recently like about their office bro culture and etc ? or what was another company that was a angies list in app form ?

that was handy.

edit: yes there are way too many of these stupid uber for X startups to keep track. it doesn't matter how stupid the field either; apparently the feds and state authorities are basically playing whack-a-mole with uber for weed

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Mar 20, 2015

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 ðŸ™Â
Taco Defender

Smythe posted:

I think you're thinking of "handy". they're probably exactly the same though

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

qirex posted:

[bubbling intensifies]

all it's gonna take is the next (republican) administration for domestic outsourcing to not only be legal, but the new normal.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

you could still contact one of the taxi companies involved tho

i'd go for the shotgun approach and get it on as many people's radar as early as possible. by the time a lawyer's assistant is able to get more than a few posts a day without vomiting, the suit might have hit the supreme court.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i'd go for the shotgun approach and ruthlessly slaughter every 20 something startup employee who uses the word paradigm or transformative or w/e in a sentence by using advanced karate moves and then i'd do tough poses to attract and bed their grieving girlfriends

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Shifty Pony posted:

apparently the feds and state authorities are basically playing whack-a-mole with uber for weed

you don't need an app for this, there are tons of weed delivery services, you just call and tell the guy what you want and he brings it right to you. just like calling your dealer back in the day, but "legal"! turns out this is what happens when a town bans storefront dispensaries (as most of the sf peninsula has). do they really think tech dudes in palo alto are gonna drive to san jose for pot? do they think the suppliers are gonna stop growing/selling weed? lol

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

angry_keebler posted:

i'd go for the shotgun approach and ruthlessly slaughter every 20 something startup employee who uses the word paradigm or transformative or w/e in a sentence by using advanced karate moves and then i'd do tough poses to attract and bed their grieving girlfriends

v proactive of you

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im ending a roadtrip with two friends from outside the US in SF, maybe 4-5 nights total there

whats a good/convenient area to stay in thats a good balance between being able to park my car and not stepping in too much human poo poo when we step out the door

probably will drive to napa at least one day, i have an old friend that lives in sebastopol that hopefully is stil around/alive

god bless yospos

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the entire city had street cleaning so you won't be able to park anywhere for 4-5 days, depending on where you're staying.

and all the places with street shitters don't really have street parking anyways, it's hella downtown.

where are you staying? it's easier to find parking near there.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i mean im not opposed to staying just outside of sf either, just looking for a general feeling of a good place to base myself to show these two dirty foreigners the bay area

you've got some (terrible) motels at poo poo within sf's boundaries that have on site parking, id only use the car to go in/out of sf, not to get around within

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
I usually put people up at the handlery which has a parking garage.

if not that, there are some motor inns

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Beast of Bourbon posted:

the entire city had street cleaning so you won't be able to park anywhere for 4-5 days, depending on where you're staying.

and all the places with street shitters don't really have street parking anyways, it's hella downtown.

the street making GBS threads is pretty much everywhere, from the smell of things

stay in oakland, travel to SF for various things, it smells better and it'll be cheaper

quote:

where are you staying? it's easier to find parking near there.

please tell us it's an illegal hotel (airbnb)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

mishaq posted:

im ending a roadtrip with two friends from outside the US in SF, maybe 4-5 nights total there

whats a good/convenient area to stay in thats a good balance between being able to park my car and not stepping in too much human poo poo when we step out the door

probably will drive to napa at least one day, i have an old friend that lives in sebastopol that hopefully is stil around/alive

god bless yospos

most chains will give you a discount if you say that you're a member of triple a

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

gently caress it, end of may/early june seems like a bad time to be booking a place based on rates

i'm blowing the rest of my marriott points stash and going all out on a fancy joint for free

these motherfuckers better appreciate it

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/17/8228649/mary-meeker-ellen-pao-kleiner-perkins

"Now, three years later, there’s an expectation — a fantasy, even — of what putting Silicon Valley on trial for sexism should look like. But Meeker’s statements on the witness stand served as another reminder that this lawsuit is not Ellen Pao vs. Institutionalized Sexism. This is Ellen Pao invoking California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act and possibly coming up short.

Bias in the workplace is rarely easy to identify. In order to vote in Pao’s favor, the jury will have to believe that Pao’s gender "was a substantial motivating reason" in Kleiner’s decisions not to promote her to senior partner. And Meeker’s mere existence seems like proof that women can thrive at Kleiner Perkins. But comparing Pao and Meeker — and their experience — is like comparing a struggling, but promising company like Twitter to a force of nature like Facebook.
"

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

mishaq posted:

i mean im not opposed to staying just outside of sf either, just looking for a general feeling of a good place to base myself to show these two dirty foreigners the bay area

you've got some (terrible) motels at poo poo within sf's boundaries that have on site parking, id only use the car to go in/out of sf, not to get around within

Oakland is p. cool, east palo alto is nice I guess. If you have some cash to spare there are some decent inns across the golden gate bridge in Marin County. Just don't stay in the city-rear end city. San Francisco itself is a weird place.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

mishaq posted:

gently caress it, end of may/early june seems like a bad time to be booking a place based on rates

i'm blowing the rest of my marriott points stash and going all out on a fancy joint for free

these motherfuckers better appreciate it

make them suck you off.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

make them suck you off.

thank you for providing this suggestion without involving children or animals tori

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

pretty hosed up thing to say.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im going to be in the pittsburg of pennsylvania in less than two weeks, for a couple nights

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

mishaq posted:

im going to be in the pittsburg of pennsylvania in less than two weeks, for a couple nights

state college?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

triple sulk posted:

state college?

erie.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

JewKiller 3000 posted:

you don't need an app for this, there are tons of weed delivery services, you just call and tell the guy what you want and he brings it right to you. just like calling your dealer back in the day, but "legal"! turns out this is what happens when a town bans storefront dispensaries (as most of the sf peninsula has). do they really think tech dudes in palo alto are gonna drive to san jose for pot? do they think the suppliers are gonna stop growing/selling weed? lol

weed delivery by third parties is illegal in california. it doesn't seem to be stopping anyone, but at any moment, the hammer could fall

aside from people who work directly for weed vendors, the only person allowed to bring you weed is your "caregiver" -- nurse, relative, etc.

double edit: it may not even be legal for weed vendors to deliver, since the law requires you to provide more than just weed in order to be a bona fide caregiver

California Department of Public Health posted:

A primary caregiver is a person who is consistently responsible for the housing, health, or safety of a qualified patient. A primary caregiver must be at least 18 years of age, unless the primary caregiver is an emancipated minor or the parent of a minor child who is a qualified patient. This may be an individual or the owner, operator or employee of an appropriately licensed clinic, facility, hospice, or home health agency For more information please visit the Responsibilities: Applicant, Primary Caregiver, and Physician web page.

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 20, 2015

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

that was handy.

edit: yes there are way too many of these stupid uber for X startups to keep track. it doesn't matter how stupid the field either; apparently the feds and state authorities are basically playing whack-a-mole with uber for weed

there are at least two weed delivery startups in sf alone. the fact that the business model is illegal as hell in california doesn't seem to bother their investors

if you were going to do a weed-delivery dotcom startup, why the gently caress wouldn't your test run be someplace where your core business activity is actually legal?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the fact that the business model is illegal as hell in california doesn't seem to bother their investors

techbubble.txt

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

there are at least two weed delivery startups in sf alone. the fact that the business model is illegal as hell in california doesn't seem to bother their investors

if you were going to do a weed-delivery dotcom startup, why the gently caress wouldn't your test run be someplace where your core business activity is actually legal?

think of what a head start these companies will have when/if it becomes legal

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

prefect posted:

think of what a head start these companies will have when/if it becomes legal

that's my point, you could get your head start in oregon, where i think delivery is actually legal

in california it is unambiguously against the law
in oregon it at least looks like it might be legal

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
uh, how disruptive could it really be if it's already legal?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol delivery

our shop is like 3/4 of a mile from our house. i ride my bike to the weed store.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Rexicon1 posted:

east palo alto is nice I guess

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
lol weed

• Locked thread