Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Major Isoor posted:

Alright then, well what about dumping the contents of its memory banks onto an external space-HDD for us to look at later, then wiping the droid and programming it to be rebel-aligned? (Just so that it's less likely to be flipped against us by the droid party member, or someone else like Imperials. Since well, it IS a typical black-painted Imp astromech droid)

Just have them upload that data into the ship's computer so they can download it again after the wipe. Nothing could POSSIBLY go wrong there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Major Isoor posted:

Hey guys, got a question: how hard/costly would it be to wipe an imperial astromech droid and have it reprogrammed as a pro-rebel (well, "pro-rebel funded privateers who are mainly out for themselves, with the rebels being only half their concern") droid to help me with astrogation checks and possibly also the charismatic team members with their Imperial disguises?
Since I may have stolen one* that needs this 'treatment', and our science/computers character is a pro-droid revolution protocol droid, that I'm hiding this astromech from (at least while it's got the bolt on), otherwise it'll take serious offense and probably try to vent atmo from our ship, or something equally disastrous for the rest of the team.

A driods memory wipe is the equivalent as reformatting a computer and reinstalling from the recovery partition. Easy to do with very little skill but this will remove any additional knowledge, skills or personality it may of had.

The problem is, is this a generic astromech where the Imperials then install love of the Empire on top of the base programming after the memory wipe or if it was manufactured for the Empire and the "recovery partition" already has the Empire love?

If its the former then it will take a programming check to add additional programming. If its the later then you will need to dig through the entire memory for any surprises the Imperials may have installed and that is even more difficult.

If i was the GM i would say to add pro-Rebel sentiment on top of a standard astromech install would be a red and two purples with maybe some blacks for lack of familiarity of driod programming and having to do it clandestinely. The three dice as it is difficult with an upgrade to a red because poo poo is easy to go wrong with such a complicated thing. If it was pro-Imperial from the base programming I would have to decide what anti-slicing traps ImpSec put in its driods and go from their.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

My players have decided to go to Nar Shaddaa, and have not upgraded their ship's antivirus software. Normally when they touch down, I just have ground control say "Ahh, yeah, Elegant Knave, you are cleared for Docking Bay 30, please transfer 25-100 credits (based on the planet's overall wealth). Welcome to Thyferra."

But since this is Nar Shaddaa, where everything is monetized, I'm gonna have them bombarded with popups when they open communications with ground control, requiring either a computers check to make it go away, or the pilot will actually need to make a piloting check just to land in all that mush.

I printed this out and will start hitting them with popups this session.

Feel free to use it yourself. It's intentionally lovely, because popups aren't usually well-designed.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
So, my Beyond the Rim adventure just ended with my group basically founding Outer Heaven. Pretty stoked about this campaign now.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Eponymous posted:

So, my Beyond the Rim adventure just ended with my group basically founding Outer Heaven. Pretty stoked about this campaign now.

Please go on.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eponymous posted:

Wait, like the compound from Metal Gear? I need details.

Eponymous
Feb 4, 2008

Maybe I just want to be happy, huh?! Maybe I want my life to not be a trainwreck for five GOD DAMN minutes?!
Well, for those who haven't played the adventure, it involves finding the survivors of a fleeing Trade Federation treasure ship which crashed 20 years ago on a remote jungle world. The way the adventure is SUPPOSED to go is that you find the ship's wreckage, get ambushed by the paranoid survivors, and barely escape the scouting imperials with whatever/whoever you gathered in your hold.

Instead, thanks to a sensors roll that involved I believe two triumphs, my players immediately located the survivor camp and won them over, then disabled the Imperial scout ship before it could report back. They even took it down with Ion Cannons, so it's salvageable. Now they have a group of hardened soldiers and scientists Without A Country deeply in their debt, the beginnings of a small battlefleet, and a secret planet to build upon. They all found the idea of running a mercenary army very interesting. Oh, and one of them is going to start growing space-weed en masse.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Eponymous posted:

Well, for those who haven't played the adventure, it involves finding the survivors of a fleeing Trade Federation treasure ship which crashed 20 years ago on a remote jungle world. The way the adventure is SUPPOSED to go is that you find the ship's wreckage, get ambushed by the paranoid survivors, and barely escape the scouting imperials with whatever/whoever you gathered in your hold.

Instead, thanks to a sensors roll that involved I believe two triumphs, my players immediately located the survivor camp and won them over, then disabled the Imperial scout ship before it could report back. They even took it down with Ion Cannons, so it's salvageable. Now they have a group of hardened soldiers and scientists Without A Country deeply in their debt, the beginnings of a small battlefleet, and a secret planet to build upon. They all found the idea of running a mercenary army very interesting. Oh, and one of them is going to start growing space-weed en masse.

You forgot to mention our Astromech droid sneaking onto the downed Imperial ship and flamethrowering the survivors that were all together in a cramped cockpit.

Yeah. That wasn't pretty. But hey, free ship and free(ish) planet!

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Eponymous posted:

If your campaign doesn't end with your group building your own Death Star and long speeches about the absurdity of mutual destruction you will fail .

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Eponymous posted:

Ask your players if love can bloom on a battlefield.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Eponymous posted:

susan posted:

You forgot to mention our Astromech droid sneaking onto the downed Imperial ship and flamethrowering the survivors that were all together in a cramped cockpit.

Yeah. That wasn't pretty. But hey, free ship and free(ish) planet!

That's how you play Star Wars, your motto should always be "How hard can it be"

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

F&D Beginner box next month!

https://twitter.com/WatchItPlayed/status/577927900143341569

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
News leaking out of the GAMA trade show in Vegas is that FFG's license was renewed, and apparently the new contract allows them to use material from Episode 7.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

PantsOptional posted:

News leaking out of the GAMA trade show in Vegas is that FFG's license was renewed, and apparently the new contract allows them to use material from Episode 7.

Seems as though it wouldn't be as good a fit for the RPG, though, beyond a sourcebook, right? We have a book for good guys, a book for scoundrels, and a book for space wizards. Unless there's a new kind of citizen of the galaxy far, far away, I'd guess the new content ends up in Imperial Assault, the card games, and other new games.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

My players got an email from that wine collector on Corellia that they sold the case of Alderaanian wine to asking for help securing milk from the creatures native to Dathomir to refine into the cheese that would be the perfect pairing

Then all four players tanked their Xenology roll to find out what creatures are native to Dathomir. They have no idea they have accepted a job to milk a Rancor. :haw:

Any ideas for what to do to them that would make for an incredibly funny story?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Everblight posted:

My players got an email from that wine collector on Corellia that they sold the case of Alderaanian wine to asking for help securing milk from the creatures native to Dathomir to refine into the cheese that would be the perfect pairing

Then all four players tanked their Xenology roll to find out what creatures are native to Dathomir. They have no idea they have accepted a job to milk a Rancor. :haw:

Any ideas for what to do to them that would make for an incredibly funny story?

If you can depend on them to reliably tank Xenology tests, I think you'd be remiss in not giving them the opportunity to milk a male rancor.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

And then get drawn into a plot to help the lonely male rancor find love.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Not mentioned: The Witches of Dathomir, force-users who eschew light and dark designations and use a 'third way' to power their force-use.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
So I was at Target waiting for my wife to find some makeup and thinking maybe I needed a nice notebook to take GM notes in and so I wandered into that section and low and behold:

Also, for those of you that have your hand on Fly Casual already, are there modular encounters for smuggling something? I'm thinking my players need to pay off some debt to a corrupt planetary governor.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

None of that gross stuff. They milk a rancor without much trouble (beyond, you know, the standard level of trouble for milking rancors) and get it loaded onto the ship. However they find that a newborn rancor (currently midway between the size of an ewok and a twi'lek) had followed the scent to the ship and is now in their cargo hold as they're jumping to light speed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Too small. More like the size of a Gorilla. A Large gorilla. And strong as one too. Good thing it doesn't have teeth yet!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

None of that gross stuff. They milk a rancor without much trouble (beyond, you know, the standard level of trouble for milking rancors) and get it loaded onto the ship. However they find that a newborn rancor (currently midway between the size of an ewok and a twi'lek) had followed the scent to the ship and is now in their cargo hold as they're jumping to light speed.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Too small. More like the size of a Gorilla. A Large gorilla. And strong as one too. Good thing it doesn't have teeth yet!

A newborn rancor is a lot like a newborn kitten, look at how shirt-on-head fat guy in Jabba's palace reacted to the loss of his. This new pet (for which party member finds the rancor first and thus is thought of as the one vaguely in charge) will need attention and a laser pointer (or a blaster set on the lowest setting).

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
You can attach the Under-Barrel Flame Projector to any weapon that’s approximately the size of a rifle and that has two hard points.

The Mk. VIII Vibrosaw, with an encumbrance of 6, is approximately the size of a rifle, and has three hard points.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

homullus posted:

Seems as though it wouldn't be as good a fit for the RPG, though, beyond a sourcebook, right? We have a book for good guys, a book for scoundrels, and a book for space wizards. Unless there's a new kind of citizen of the galaxy far, far away, I'd guess the new content ends up in Imperial Assault, the card games, and other new games.

If you don't think they're going to milk that license and Episode 7 hype for every last dollar it's worth on every product possible, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Edit: This isn't a criticism. I'd do the same goddamn thing!

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013

Imagined posted:

If you don't think they're going to milk that license and Episode 7 hype for every last dollar it's worth on every product possible, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Edit: This isn't a criticism. I'd do the same goddamn thing!

Yes i expect Ep7 ships for X-wing and Armarda, cards for the LCG and if not a main game (Like Rise of the Republic or something) then many books for AotE, AoR and FaD

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

PantsOptional posted:

Being able to use Rebels material in AoR seems like a bigger deal

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

NutritiousSnack posted:

Being able to use Rebels material in AoR seems like a bigger deal

Please purge all mentions of Starkiller from future editions of AoR and replace with Rebels storyline, thanks in advance.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Are there any stats for the ARC starfighter? I know there's the airspeeder bomber variant in Stay on Target, but are there any stats for the space version?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The one in Stay on Target is actually way bigger than the regular ARC-170. I would also love to see stats on the space one, though. It's a shame it wasn't in SoT, actually. If there was any book it should've been in, it's that one.

I'm hoping for a Clone Wars Sourcebook for Age of Rebellion. It'd be so sweet to play as an ARC trooper.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

YES IT WOULD

:colbert:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The CEO or whatever of FFG hates the original trilogy though D:

I also have a weird fascination with the LAAT, and I kind of want my players to use one somehow, but it wouldn't fit in a YT-1300 so they'd need a much bigger ship to take it with them or just be something they use for a little while on some planet. Though for that matter, my players have talked about wanting some personal vehicles, are there any ships that might be big enough to hold some smaller craft?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

The CEO or whatever of FFG hates the original trilogy though D:

When you say "original trilogy" I don't think you mean the same thing I mean when I say "original trilogy". FFG's CEO says he hates the "prequels". Personally, I don't know what he's talking about. There's been nothing since 1983. Must be a Youtube thing.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Uh, yeah, I-III, whatever you want to call them. But there will be content for the new Trilogy.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Imagined posted:

When you say "original trilogy" I don't think you mean the same thing I mean when I say "original trilogy". FFG's CEO says he hates the "prequels". Personally, I don't know what he's talking about. There's been nothing since 1983. Must be a Youtube thing.

Yeah, Lucas was going to make Episodes I-III in the late 90s, but he got caught up in some alternate universe thing and then sold the franchise.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Am I reading the system strain rules and it only matters if strain exceeds the limit, not matches? I'm trying to figure a way to fit proton torpedo launchers on a speeder bike using the oversized weapon mounts and it reduces the system strain threshold to zero, that would mean that it is incapacitated the second it takes a single point of strain, but not before, right?

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

TaurusTorus posted:

Am I reading the system strain rules and it only matters if strain exceeds the limit, not matches? I'm trying to figure a way to fit proton torpedo launchers on a speeder bike using the oversized weapon mounts and it reduces the system strain threshold to zero, that would mean that it is incapacitated the second it takes a single point of strain, but not before, right?
Yup, like with HT. So if you roll a single threat whilst driving that monstrosity...

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So after lurking in this thread for a while and talking to some people at LGS I decided to buy the beginner game for Edge of the Empire. Going to try it with some friends layer this week and if that goes well I'll buy the rule book for Edge and F&D ( my best friend wants to play a Jedi for sure if this is as good as it seems). In the meantime I'll read the adventure book and mini rule book from cover to cover. Any general advice for a newbie GM and any advice in general for EotE?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

The Sisko posted:

So after lurking in this thread for a while and talking to some people at LGS I decided to buy the beginner game for Edge of the Empire. Going to try it with some friends layer this week and if that goes well I'll buy the rule book for Edge and F&D ( my best friend wants to play a Jedi for sure if this is as good as it seems). In the meantime I'll read the adventure book and mini rule book from cover to cover. Any general advice for a newbie GM and any advice in general for EotE?

This is a game that thrives on creativity. Encourage your players to come up with as many star warsy things to do with their advantages and threats. The heroes escaping from the death star in A New Hope is the best example of the party just running around using the EotE dice system. Make sure that dice rolls only ever come up if something interesting can happen or things can change as a result, have the players just pass everything else and keep going on.

Rand Ecliptic
May 23, 2003

Jesus Saves! - And Takes Half Damage!!

The Sisko posted:

[Spoiler] There is an unfortunate stumbling block in the beginner adventure. The PCs are only told that they have to get a certain part to get the ship they're to steal operational. They're not told that they also have to release the docking clamps holding the ship, which can really only be done from the spaceport control facility. However, the adventure assumes the PCs know this and the book basically reads "Now that the PCs have the part, they can proceed to the control facility to release their ship." The adventure, as written, does not mention anywhere before this that the PCs also have to release their ship. This, coupled with the fact that it's not exactly the Star Wars norm to hold a ship down with docking clamps in the first place (especially on Tatooine), can be, like I said, a stumbling block for the PCs and the GM.

I suggest just letting the players know, either by simply telling them they have to do this, or else have the bartender who tells them about the ship and it's missing part also tell them they'll need to release the clamps. Hope this helps! It is, otherwise, a pretty solid beginner Star Wars adventure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rand Ecliptic posted:

I suggest just letting the players know, either by simply telling them they have to do this, or else have the bartender who tells them about the ship and it's missing part also tell them they'll need to release the clamps. Hope this helps! It is, otherwise, a pretty solid beginner Star Wars adventure.

I would just change this to the party needing to open the hanger roof to let the ship out or something. Its easier to understand and can have the players immediately notice it when they are inspecting the ship to steal.