Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

jre posted:

No home grown

Really? Didn't say anything in the OP that I could see. I'll edit it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
That post should be given an exemption from that rule anyway

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
Father Ted was the greatest of all time...It's as simple as that.....I can't think of a comedy from the UK that was funnier......okay the Father Jack joke got old at times but he still was an essential part of the show...Father Jack was the Darren Fletcher of the show - in other words he helped glue it all together without ever getting any praise for his efforts

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
this has to be here:

After our draw with Southampton on Sunday, Jose Mourinho was asked by the media if his team would get another penalty in the league before the end of the season.

That was after Branislav Ivanovic was denied a clear spot-kick when his leg was scraped from behind as he charged into the box.

We were of course the recipient of a spot-kick in our last European encounter, when PSG’s Thiago Silva obviously handled in the area, but Champions League referees have spotted penalty incidents throughout, with four also given our way in the group stage.

It is in our 28 Premier League games this season where we have been awarded just two penalties. Both were for infringements on the league’s most-fouled player, Eden Hazard, and both were in home London derbies, against Arsenal and QPR respectively. The most recent was four-and-a-half months ago.

Historically, this figure seems abnormally low.

In the Double-winning 2009/10 campaign, when we were the country’s outstanding attacking team, we were awarded 12 league penalties. Those fouled included Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Yury Zhirkov, Salomon Kalou, Branislav Ivanovic (pictured below) and Nicolas Anelka. The following year, when we finished second, we were given eight spot-kicks.

Even in our sixth-placed 2011/12 campaign, our lowest league finish under the current ownership, the Blues were the recipient of five penalties (plus seven more in other competitions including in the victorious Champions League and FA Cup runs). There were 11 league penalties the following year when we came third.

Last season, Jose Mourinho’s first back at Stamford Bridge, we were awarded seven spot-kicks in the league, for fouls on Eden Hazard, Oscar (pictured below), Ramires, Samuel Eto’o (twice), Fernando Torres and Mohamed Salah.

So this season’s tally of two unquestionably bucks the recent trend yet our position as clear league leaders and second-highest scorers suggests we can’t be labelled anything other than an attacking side, spending plenty of time in the opposition box.

Our two closest challengers in the Premier League this season, Manchester City and Arsenal, have both been awarded seven penalties – the most in the division. City have only scored one goal more than Chelsea and Arsenal two less.

Last term, the two teams that finished above us in the league – Man City and Liverpool – were awarded more penalties than any other team bar us.

Of course, it could be that when teams have played the league leaders they have been particularly careful inside their own area. We all have plenty of recollections suggesting this is not the case however.

From the first half of our very first league game, at Burnley, a number of key penalty-box decisions have not gone our way, Diego Costa the victim that evening after being felled trying to round the keeper. He should have been awarded Shed End penalties against Liverpool and PSG recently, too.

Man United v Chelsea

At Old Trafford in late October, both John Terry and Branislav Ivanovic were wrestled to the ground (above) as they tried to attack an in-swinging free-kick in front of the Stretford End. Cesc Fabregas was then cruelly booked (pictured top) after being tripped inside the area at Southampton and four days later Tottenham escaped after handling close to their own goal.

All those were before Sunday’s incident involving Ivanovic and the previous home game against Burnley when the right-back’s goalbound shot was infamously blocked by the clearest of raised arms.

Below is a list of the penalty numbers for this season so far, and the five campaigns before:

Premier League penalties awarded to Chelsea

2014/15 – 2

2013/14 – 7

2012/13 – 11

2011/12 – 5

2010/11 – 8

2009/10 - 12

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/latest-news/2015/03/penalty-puzzle.html

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Wrong thread

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
lol, definitely wrong thread

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

JFairfax posted:

this has to be here:

After our draw with Southampton on Sunday, Jose Mourinho was asked by the media if his team would get another penalty in the league before the end of the season.

That was after Branislav Ivanovic was denied a clear spot-kick when his leg was scraped from behind as he charged into the box.

We were of course the recipient of a spot-kick in our last European encounter, when PSG’s Thiago Silva obviously handled in the area, but Champions League referees have spotted penalty incidents throughout, with four also given our way in the group stage.

It is in our 28 Premier League games this season where we have been awarded just two penalties. Both were for infringements on the league’s most-fouled player, Eden Hazard, and both were in home London derbies, against Arsenal and QPR respectively. The most recent was four-and-a-half months ago.

Historically, this figure seems abnormally low.

In the Double-winning 2009/10 campaign, when we were the country’s outstanding attacking team, we were awarded 12 league penalties. Those fouled included Didier Drogba, Frank Lampard, Ashley Cole, Yury Zhirkov, Salomon Kalou, Branislav Ivanovic (pictured below) and Nicolas Anelka. The following year, when we finished second, we were given eight spot-kicks.

Even in our sixth-placed 2011/12 campaign, our lowest league finish under the current ownership, the Blues were the recipient of five penalties (plus seven more in other competitions including in the victorious Champions League and FA Cup runs). There were 11 league penalties the following year when we came third.

Last season, Jose Mourinho’s first back at Stamford Bridge, we were awarded seven spot-kicks in the league, for fouls on Eden Hazard, Oscar (pictured below), Ramires, Samuel Eto’o (twice), Fernando Torres and Mohamed Salah.

So this season’s tally of two unquestionably bucks the recent trend yet our position as clear league leaders and second-highest scorers suggests we can’t be labelled anything other than an attacking side, spending plenty of time in the opposition box.

Our two closest challengers in the Premier League this season, Manchester City and Arsenal, have both been awarded seven penalties – the most in the division. City have only scored one goal more than Chelsea and Arsenal two less.

Last term, the two teams that finished above us in the league – Man City and Liverpool – were awarded more penalties than any other team bar us.

Of course, it could be that when teams have played the league leaders they have been particularly careful inside their own area. We all have plenty of recollections suggesting this is not the case however.

From the first half of our very first league game, at Burnley, a number of key penalty-box decisions have not gone our way, Diego Costa the victim that evening after being felled trying to round the keeper. He should have been awarded Shed End penalties against Liverpool and PSG recently, too.

Man United v Chelsea

At Old Trafford in late October, both John Terry and Branislav Ivanovic were wrestled to the ground (above) as they tried to attack an in-swinging free-kick in front of the Stretford End. Cesc Fabregas was then cruelly booked (pictured top) after being tripped inside the area at Southampton and four days later Tottenham escaped after handling close to their own goal.

All those were before Sunday’s incident involving Ivanovic and the previous home game against Burnley when the right-back’s goalbound shot was infamously blocked by the clearest of raised arms.

Below is a list of the penalty numbers for this season so far, and the five campaigns before:

2014/15 – 2

2013/14 – 7

2012/13 – 11

2011/12 – 5

2010/11 – 8

2009/10 - 12

This is from the official website? Holy poo poo

When I started reading it I thought it was from some dumb American blog or something. Chelsea are smalltime as hell

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

JFairfax posted:

2014/15 – 2

2013/14 – 7

2012/13 – 11

2011/12 – 5

2010/11 – 8

2009/10 - 12

Advanced Stats

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

You aren't my Alves, Afonso Alves,
you make me sa-aad when sky's are blue,
and Georgie Best, cost fucking less,
so please take my Alves away.
Teams that hate Leeds United
Manchester United "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[1]
Bradford City "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[2]
Huddersfield Town "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[3]
Barnsley "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[4]
Sheffield United no evidence but hate leeds
Sheffield Wednesday "We All Hate Leeds Scum[5]
Rotherham United no evidence but hate leeds
Middlesbrough "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[6]
Hull City "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[7]
FC United of Manchester "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[8]
York City "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[9]
Doncaster Rovers "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[10]
Millwall "Dirty Northern b*stards"[11]
Chelsea "We all hate Leeds and Leeds and Leeds"[12]
Chesterfield "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[13]
Burnley "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[14]
Walsall "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[15]
Norwich City "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[16]
Nottingham Forest "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[17]
Crewe Alexandra "Champions league, never again"[18]
Everton "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[19]
Wolverhampton Wanderers "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[20]
Watford "Sit Down Leeds Scum"[21]
AFC Bournemouth "Scummy Leeds"[22]
Ipswich Town You dirty northern b*stards[23]
Charlton Athletic "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[24]
Birmingham City "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[25]
Carlisle United "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[26]
Lincoln City "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[27]
MK Dons "Same Old Leeds Scum"[28]
Hartlepool United "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[29]
Southend United "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[30]
Coventry City "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[31]
Stockport County W*nkers, Scum[32]
Kettering Town "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[33]
Preston North End "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[34]
Tottenham Hotspur "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[35]
Bristol City "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[36]
Swindon Town "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[37]
Queens Park Rangers "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[38]
Grimsby Town "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[39]
Oxford United "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[40]
Cardiff City "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[41]
Newcastle United "Yorkshire Sheep Sh*ggers"[42]
Tranmere Rovers "If you all hate Leeds clap your hands"[43]
Northampton Town "We All Hate Leeds Scum"[44]
Cheltenham Town "Sit down scum"

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

JorahTheExplorer posted:

Rotherham United no evidence but hate leeds

lmao

JorahTheExplorer
Oct 23, 2013

You aren't my Alves, Afonso Alves,
you make me sa-aad when sky's are blue,
and Georgie Best, cost fucking less,
so please take my Alves away.
shouldve posted this in the championship thread to be honest.

Chris de Sperg
Aug 14, 2009

JorahTheExplorer posted:

Millwall "Dirty Northern b*stards"[11]
they are

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

I have no idea what this does or is supposed to mean.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Big Black Dick posted:

I have no idea what this does or is supposed to mean.

:troll:

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

we must all pray for the brand of the BPL in these tough times

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC
it's the best brand

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

advanced statsman posted:

it's the best brand

The best brand filled with our best teams.

Heskie
Aug 10, 2002

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Atkinson

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

wrong thread

meat CRime
Jun 12, 2010

ham, turkey, roast beef, cold cuts, North Carolina, vienna sausage
Grimey Drawer

Lmao

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Class always tells.
And that's one thing UTD have in abundance, plus history,and courage, and passion, and commitment. (3 other important factors in football)
Joe Cocker said 'Don't let me be misunderstood' and he was right, Louis has been misunderstood but thankfully people are starting to see clearly now.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

quote:

Gameweek 29 was a very bad week for everyone, its not just you. So there is no need to worry, lets focus on the remaining fixtures and see who you can catch up.

Gameweek 30 will be a full gameweek, meaning there is no double fixtures or teams not playing.
Obviously there is huge tie between United and Liverpool so you may want to avoid having players from either of teams or atleast not making anyone involved your fantasy captain. These two teams usually dont score much when they play each other, its gonna be a nerve wrecking game with possibility of yellow and red cards.

As the captain I would either select Kun Aguero or Kane. City plays home against WBA but as seen last week the team morale is down and Pellegrini will have a huge job getting the players up when they get sent out of the CL tonight. Kane didnt exactly lighten up the world at Old Trafford, but I believe theres couple of games in him this weekend.

Other captain choice is Hazard. Mourinho got his boys over the champions league defeat and the ship is sailing towards another premier league title.

Transfers

Ins:
Giroud if you dont have him already. On fire striker, regained his position as main striker after injury.
DDG - yep even when he lets goals in he still makes alot of saves so you get few points.
Rooney - LVG seems to have understood where to play Rooney at last. And he will score goals here and there.

Out:
Ozil - such a fragile player. No confidence, just poo poo.
Falcao - LVG seems to hate him more and more. Really feed bad for Falcao
Sturridge - Has been found out as the average joe he is.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

What is wrong with this?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

reformed bad troll posted:

What is wrong with this?

The correct way to play fantasy football is to forget you even have a team by the end of September

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

reformed bad troll posted:

What is wrong with this?

Autism.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling this is wrong thread because it owns so much (x-post from the Rooney knockout gif thread)

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

I get the feeling this is wrong thread because it owns so much (x-post from the Rooney knockout gif thread)

Um yeah, why would you post that here, it owns

Draws An 8
Mar 26, 2010
Put it like this, if the us ever becomes like germany, the countries that would benefit are the smaller concacaf nations. In fact teams like el salvador would make the world cup, due to american-born salvadoreans playing for el salvador because the us was too deep. In fact its funny when you See american-born soccer fans who root for their parents country and not the US, don't realize that its only when the us become a super soccer nation that our rejects will then play for the other countries and help them make a world cup.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Draws An 8 posted:

Put it like this, if the us ever becomes like germany, the countries that would benefit are the smaller concacaf nations. In fact teams like el salvador would make the world cup, due to american-born salvadoreans playing for el salvador because the us was too deep. In fact its funny when you See american-born soccer fans who root for their parents country and not the US, don't realize that its only when the us become a super soccer nation that our rejects will then play for the other countries and help them make a world cup.

im dying

where did you find this

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

TheBigAristotle posted:

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!

What I noticed lately is that, for the most part, we are one of the most dignified teams in the world. When you look at how Liverpool and Barca/Real behaved yesterday (even though the latter two were on their best behaviour), we really stood out.

Herrera and De Gea could have milked those incidents much more than they did, especially with the reputation that Spanish players have. Smalling too could probably have tried to get Balotelli sent off. Apart from those incidents, in general players like Carrick, Jones, Blind, Mata, Falcao, Rooney (yep he has finally grown up), Young (cut out the diving finally it seems), Valencia, etc all play the game hard and fair. I think it is important especially in the modern game where a lot of the players are embarrassing to watch. Evans is also usually someone that represents the club well and that last incident was truly out of character.

One thing that is bothering me now is Di Maria's attitude (diving etc), but hopefully he will shape up.

Am I overreacting because I am over the moon at the moment or is this a fair assessment?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

This is the weekend I learned I was Liverpool. This play/goal, one year ago this weekend, cemented my passion for the #LFC. My youngest boy and I get up early and stay up late to watch our fantastic club. As Americans the game was still foreign to us. We had followed players for the previous couple of years, but after watching Being Liverpool I knew this was our team.

When Suarez scored that goal my boy and I jumped out of our seat and hugged one another as if we where in the Kop. It was magic. We now sing the songs and cheer along with Anfield from man ocean away.

This community has been great too. It is wonderful to get together with you all during the matches.

#YNWA #ThisIsAnfield #LFC

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Homework Explainer posted:

after watching Being Liverpool I knew this was our team.
lmao

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i watched Being Liverpool back when it was called The Office

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Homework Explainer posted:

from man ocean away.

Didn't know Robbie Rodgers was a Liverpool fan.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/mar/25/arsenal-mesut-ozil-ballon-dor

:lol:

quote:

Mesut Özil believes he will one day be crowned the world’s best player – and says rough treatment from opponents in England is making him a stronger athlete.

Arsenal’s Germany international midfielder, the subject of stinging criticism at times this season – with Paul Scholes suggesting he was just “going through the motions” – said he was sure he has what it takes to lift the trophy won by Cristiano Ronaldo in January.

If Paul Scholes believes it, it must be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Not sure what you think Paul Scholes believes?