Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Geight posted:

I will defend this game to the death except for the first screen of Dead Ahead. I don't even mind the latter ones! Room full of fat guys and gun-users? Whatever. Five entrenched dudes with guns is just frustrating, though.

Once you figure out how to hit them they're really not that bad.Just fire BEFORE poking your head out so when they raise their heads to counterattack they'll get cut down by your spray of gunfire. Then, you know, duck back into cover so you don't get perforated by his mates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
That's the thing, its so easy to get hit by the other guys while you're shooting one of them. Even knowing exactly what to do and having done it before, I still cock it up like 2 out of 3 times.

Like you said the trick is to prefire, which is kinda bullshit.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Anatharon posted:

Once you figure out how to hit them they're really not that bad.Just fire BEFORE poking your head out so when they raise their heads to counterattack they'll get cut down by your spray of gunfire. Then, you know, duck back into cover so you don't get perforated by his mates.

I'm usually finding myself running out of ammo thanks to hard mode before the game decides to let one of my bullets actually fly straight enough to hit the guys. One time it was merciful and I had two consecutive shots from the silenced pistol fly straight and I killed two dudes, and used that foothold to wipe out everyone but the last guy, and then I hosed it up because I was out of bullets and needed one of their guns. :smithicide:

It's basically equal parts luck that their shots miss and yours hit, and I've yet to roll high enough to pull it off.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
For me though its the last screen of Dead Ahead that kills me. Its way worse than the first for me. That room has so many patrolling dudes in it, tons of fatties, and they all have guns. You shoot anybody and the whole drat room comes running.

Just found this song, can't even remember which level its for but man its a good one. Something about that super super low-fi bass reminds me of running old DOS games on an early PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoouJ0nu9v4

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 20, 2015

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

For me though its the last screen of Dead Ahead that kills me. Its way worse than the first for me. That room has so many patrolling dudes in it, tons of fatties, and they all have guns. You shoot anybody and the whole drat room comes running.

Just found this song, can't even remember which level its for but man its a good one. Something about that super super low-fi bass reminds me of running old DOS games on an early PC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoouJ0nu9v4
It's the song used for the son intros. I wonder what % of players didn't punch the bag to the beat.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

God drat the whole soundtrack really is just amazing. I just sat and listened to the whole thing from start to finish.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Anatharon posted:

You sure about that? The song's Rust, and the first game was Daisuke.

Skunkrocker posted:

Rust isn't a remix, but it's very similar.

Definitely similar. Both by El Huervo. Goddam this series'ssss music. :circlefap:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wamdoodle posted:

Definitely similar. Both by El Huervo. Goddam this series'ssss music. :circlefap:

After HM1 I dug up as much related poo poo as I could find and it was pretty great to play HM2 because there was some stuff in there I'd come across before elsewhere and some totally new things as well.

I enjoyed 2 a lot, just finished it earlier today, but drat it was some difficult poo poo. I definitely prefer the gameplay in the first one, largely due to the prevalence of guns in this, but I don't regret a day one purchase.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

:smug: yes i'm very proud

Honestly, upon playing it a second time, I felt that Dead Ahead is pretty easy. Mostly because there's a lot of enemies packed together for the most part, making for very easy combos. I breezed through the last floor with only a couple deaths. The only things loving me up were the fat dudes clogging up hallways, and the fact that trying to grab a machinegun on top of a knife is a cointoss. Though I've only played on normal, because I refuse to play hard until I get all A+'s and I am a child.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I got 1-800-GODDAMN. gently caress, I think I'll go for 100% achievs, what have you done to me Dennation!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

comedyblissoption posted:

It's the song used for the son intros. I wonder what % of players didn't punch the bag to the beat.

You can even punch the bag as the henchman in the early levels :3:

I like it because it sounds like a tiny little Russian march, which works perfectly for the Son and his cronies.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed they didn't add a punching bag-related achievement

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
Well, what an ending!
I realized that the crazy drug-fueled trip at the end with the son was literally about going :lsd: and killing the animal masks, then jumping off the roof.

MONKET posted:

Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed they didn't add a punching bag-related achievement

Same.

While I appreciate the story, I have to say, I would not mind a crazy conglomeration of both games in chronological order, because I am a sucker for a timeline event-style game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MONKET posted:

Though I've only played on normal, because I refuse to play hard until I get all A+'s and I am a child.

But this is the only right way to play. It's the people diving straight into Hard and playing through it on the day after release that get bitter and resentful about the game and do nothing but shitpost about how bad the game is, the rest of us chill people take it easy, dip into Normal to max out our level rankings and only then do we try Hard. The game's much more enjoyable that way.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

King Vidiot posted:

But this is the only right way to play. It's the people diving straight into Hard and playing through it on the day after release that get bitter and resentful about the game and do nothing but shitpost about how bad the game is, the rest of us chill people take it easy, dip into Normal to max out our level rankings and only then do we try Hard. The game's much more enjoyable that way.

It's a badly designed game. Stockholm syndrome does not change the fact that it is a badly designed game.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

King Vidiot posted:

I jumped into Hard mode right away because I have patience problems and don't want to reply a level over and over to get a sick combo. I'm not THAT good at the game. Somehow I much rather reply a level over and over and keep screaming about how there just TOO MANY DUDES UGH GOD

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I just realized what I want to be my first custom level campaign: John Wick: HLM2 edition. All the pieces are there!!

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Geight posted:

I will defend this game to the death except for the first screen of Dead Ahead. I don't even mind the latter ones! Room full of fat guys and gun-users? Whatever. Five entrenched dudes with guns is just frustrating, though.

4th screen Dead Ahead Hard Mode is probably worst screen in the game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Surprisingly Dope posted:

Have you reached Casualties yet? The third screen of that level on hard mode is a close contender.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sweet, just finished the game, really glad I picked it up.

Any reason to do Hard Mode? Or just bragging rights?
I do like how the backgrounds/intermission screens change for hard mode

Are any of the achievements tied to anything interesting? "Extra extra read all about it" sounds vague enough. I totally thought I did the no kills as the writer, but I think I musta punched a dude too many times on the first level, can I just replay that and get the achievement?

e: Oh dang there's some hidden achievements too?

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 20, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxyclean posted:

Are any of the achievements tied to anything interesting? "Extra extra read all about it" sounds vague enough. I totally thought I did the no kills as the writer, but I think I musta punched a dude too many times on the first level, can I just replay that and get the achievement?

The writer has a hidden level you have to unlock and then beat (without killing anyone). The first guy that you have to kill doesn't count for the cheevo.

Don't bother with the "read all about it" achievement without a guide unless you really want to, some of the newspapers require some pretty crapshoot pixel hunting.

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Discendo Vox posted:

It's a badly designed game. Stockholm syndrome does not change the fact that it is a badly designed game.

"I finished the game, thus I'm not able to say that it's good anymore"

I like Wrong Number a lot, fite me irl

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ledgy posted:

"I finished the game, thus I'm not able to say that it's good anymore"

I like Wrong Number a lot, fite me irl

The game is cool and good. :) Also here's some stupid fan wank about the post ending/hard mode intermission screens.

This was all a marketing stunt for Fallout:Miami

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hotline Miami 3 is a zombie apocalypse survival game

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Mar 20, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Hotline Miami 3 is a zombie apocalypse survival game

Goes well with HLM2 being a cover shooter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Has it been said before that screenshots don't do this game justice?

Any time I've looked up a picture of one of the characters talking (usually to double-check story elements) something seemed off. And it really isn't the same, the way the faces are always kinda drooping to the left and the right, the way the color behind the portrait is constantly shifting colors, and especially the way the dialogue text constantly shifts colors really leaves this feeling on you when you're playing it that screenshots just don't do.

I need an animated gif of the text changing colors

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Surprisingly Dope posted:

I loving dont like it and there is so much of it. Somehow there are more guys than it seems like there should be. Fat, nimble black men bodyslam through doors, unpack themselves from shelves, shimmy through air ducts, yearning to punch me in the face. My bugeyed fuckup hero cant harm them with a machete but can somehow pick out the only empty shotgun from a pile of gore-soaked shotguns. This is someone's fantasy, but not mine. A thug with severely limited powers of object permanence whips around and performs a sick 180 noscope headshot on me through many panes of glass. The background music has looped four times already.

Jehde posted:

Goes well with HLM2 being a cover shooter.

lol

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

swamp waste posted:

I loving dont like it and there is so much of it. Somehow there are more guys than it seems like there should be. Fat, nimble black men bodyslam through doors, unpack themselves from shelves, shimmy through air ducts, yearning to punch me in the face. My bugeyed fuckup hero cant harm them with a machete but can somehow pick out the only empty shotgun from a pile of gore-soaked shotguns. This is someone's fantasy, but not mine. A thug with severely limited powers of object permanence whips around and performs a sick 180 noscope headshot on me through many panes of glass. The background music has looped four times already.
Found the new thread title.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I hope the level editor supports custom characters. I sort of want to make a gimmick pair of characters, alex & ash style, where one is knife-only and the other one has a tank of gasoline that he trails. You can use the the explosions to attract attention, or set traps!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Beekeeping and You posted:

I hope the level editor supports custom characters. I sort of want to make a gimmick pair of characters, alex & ash style, where one is knife-only and the other one has a tank of gasoline that he trails. You can use the the explosions to attract attention, or set traps!

It'd be amazing if we could, but I highly doubt it. It'd require some kind of scripting system that I doubt the game already has.

You make me wish we had trip mines.

What all weapons are new in Hotline Miami 2 that weren't in 1? The shiv is new, right? And I think the revolver? And Mark's MP5s?
I guess Jake's nunchaku are new too.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The MP5 was in HLM1, just not dual. Pretty sure the AK-47 is new, as well as that Spectre looking SMG. The knife is kinda new since it's now a butterfly knife. I like how now when mobsters are idling with a knife, they twirl it around. :3:

Edit: Chainsaw.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

swamp waste posted:

:yikes:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Hotline Miami 3: Wrong Number - Fat, nimble black men bodyslam through doors

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

Hotline Miami 3: Wrong Number - Fat, nimble black men bodyslam through doors

:allears:

Also earlier someone was talking about larger melee weapons being able to carve multiple dudes in a single swing, I can confirm that is not an exclusive trait and you can do it even with the tiny knife. All melee swings just create a kill area in front of (and apparently slightly behind) you that will murder anyone who enters it while it exists.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

swamp waste posted:

Yep, I am saving this. :lol:

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I wonder if Cactus accounted for the difficulty when he said he didn't mind if people were disgusted by his games, but didn't want them to have a traumatic experience. :ohdear:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Geight posted:

I wonder if Cactus accounted for the difficulty when he said he didn't mind if people were disgusted by his games, but didn't want them to have a traumatic experience. :ohdear:

I think he accounted for posts like swamp waste's, and made sure the game was just punishing enough to break people's brains and make them craft beautiful prose from the remnants of their shattered ego. Posts like that are what Hotline Miami 2 was created for.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

After I went through Hard mode I went for getting A+ on Normal levels, which has been a massive cake walk so far. Game couldn't be anymore chill for me now. :unsmigghh:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

swamp waste posted:

Holy poo poo. :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

You've just made this up.

swamp waste posted:

yessssSSS

• Locked thread