Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Kurtofan posted:

I can't annex my vassals (due to basetax 12), anything I can do about it?

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

I can't annex my vassals (due to basetax 12), anything I can do about it?

Their basetax shouldn't affect it. Screenie?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I don't know how to screenshot, here's the line (for all vassals) "Annexation estimated to be done Unknown due to 12 basetax"

I tried annexing Syria and the ticker wouldn't go up at all.

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

I don't know how to screenshot, here's the line (for all vassals) "Annexation estimated to be done Unknown due to 12 basetax"

You have a penalty to your diplomatic relations because you've annexed a vassal recently; you have to wait 10 years for it to run out.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Kurtofan posted:

Do you have a negative diplomatic reputation?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

YF-23 posted:

Do you have a negative diplomatic reputation?

I think so.

Disappointing egg posted:

You have a penalty to your diplomatic relations because you've annexed a vassal recently; you have to wait 10 years for it to run out.

Oh, ok.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

I think so.

Oh, ok.

The main drawback to expanding by feeding vassals is it's a long-term payoff. The vassal will take care of coring, religious conversion, and get rid of the Nationalism unrest for you, but you get a penalty to Diplomatic Reputation (=speed of integration) for 10 years after integrating a vassal, so you're a bit limited on how quickly you can absorb vassal territory.

You can spend up to a certain amount of DIP points per month to integrate your vassal, based on:
+1 base
+1 same culture group
+1 same religion
+X Diplomatic Reputation

If you go negative Dip Rep that might go to zero and your integration won't progress at all. Hire a Dip Rep adivsor.

Vassal integration cost works like this. The base cost is 10 DIP points per basetax, reduced by any Diplomatic Annexation Cost reductions you have, rounded down. Notably this means that the -25% Annexation Cost idea from Influence discounts integration to 7 DIP/basetax. Provinces with "+X% Coring Cost" penalties are treated as having additonal basetax, so a 10-basetax province with +100% Coring Cost will be treated as 20 basetax. Due to the way the math works out, it's quite a bit cheaper to feed "toxic" cores (Berbers in North Africa, nations in the Caucasus, Bohemia, Denmark and Norway usually take Aristocratic ideas, etc) with Coring Cost increases to a vassal than coring them yourself directly.

For example, using again a 10-basetax province with +100% Coring Cost. Let's say you have Admin ideas and a claim for coring cost reductions, and Influence ideas for integration discount.
cost to core = 20 ADM points * 10 basetax * (1 + 1.00 (Coring Cost increase) - 0.25 (claim) - 0.25 (Admin)) = 300 ADM points. Note that coring costs bonuses and penalties are ADDITIVE
cost to integrate = 10 DIP points * 20 "effective" basetax due to Coring Cost increase * 0.70 (rounded down discount from Influence) = 140 DIP points. Note that integration discounts are MULTIPLICATIVE with coring cost increases

All that is to say it's way cheaper to feed "toxic" cores to a vassal than core them yourself. In general, when choosing which vassals to feed up, look for:

1) Nations with a bunch of unowned cores. You can release them as a vassal and use the Reconquest CB to take back their stuff.
2) "Toxic" cores with coring cost increases, they're way cheaper to integrate via vassal than core directly.
3) Off-culture and off-religion areas that would otherwise be tricky for you to convert
4) Horde vassals let you use their Tribal CBs which is pretty cool
5) Vassals with particularly good idea sets (military or religious conversion usually)

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any historical basis for the high level forts in some provinces at game start? London, Paris, Toulouse and Constantinople have them and i think it makes sense for all of them ignoring London (don't know about any specific fortifications around London being impressive enough) but there's also a ton of highly fortified provinces all over India and China and i have no idea what was the historical context for them.

Is it a simple game design choice or did they have any quality defenses like the walls of Constantinople?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So for people doing custom map stuff, XKCD did a map that might be interesting to see a version of.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Mans posted:

Is there any historical basis for the high level forts in some provinces at game start? London, Paris, Toulouse and Constantinople have them and i think it makes sense for all of them ignoring London (don't know about any specific fortifications around London being impressive enough) but there's also a ton of highly fortified provinces all over India and China and i have no idea what was the historical context for them.

Is it a simple game design choice or did they have any quality defenses like the walls of Constantinople?

Practically every major Chinese city had incredibly built up fortifications around it, it was actually pretty insane. Most of them have been destroyed in the intervening centuries but look at the walls of Xi'an for an idea. (those were on the more impressive end of the spectrum, but not anomalously so)

no clue about India. I know for a bunch of the more major provinces if you look in the text file (in history/provinces iirc) they had little comments noting what the buildings are, maybe they have some for India and China.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Mar 20, 2015

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

DStecks posted:

With Plutocratic ideas, the Hansa has double or triple the forcelimit of any of its neighbors, so the only thing that will gently caress you is if you get entangled in multiple wars at the same time, or if, God forbid, Denmark decides they want to gently caress you up; but I've never seen the latter happen.

They do get missions to take Lübeck, so it's a bit down to luck.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

You want them to attack you. Austria will defend and you can grab Holstein in the peace deal.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I had hired the former slave Estevancio when my original Conquistador died after a disaster after exploring one province. After exploring a while, Estevancio's expedition struck disaster as well :( Thankfully Estevancio was kind enough to train up a former slave, Estevancio, whom I could hire when Estevancio died tragically!

I forgot to take a screenshot :(

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Roadie posted:

So for people doing custom map stuff, XKCD did a map that might be interesting to see a version of.

Someone posted that map in the map thread in D&D, to which I reacted by making a quick proper version of it that accounted for the fact the world is round. Pretty sure I accidentally pushed North America too far south though.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010
If you support Sweden's independence at the very beginning of the game you can cripple Denmark. They never seem to ally anyone and your starting navy combined with Sweden's and possibly Novgorod's is easily enough to beat Denmark's and get their army stuck on some island.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Has there been any changes to the HRE mechanics? Whenever I attack a HRE member now, I get Austria and all of its billion allies leaping into war with me instead of just the Emperor, as was the case some time ago (I believe).

Also, had a previously amazing Ironman run as Ottomans utterly ruined by two dead rulers/heirs in the same 50-year period. The first came just as I was gearing up to smash into central Europe (Should have known that a 5/3/5 heir was too good to live), and when my Sultan died it left me pacified for ages. Got a new ruler going, then he dies leaving a 2-year-old lovely heir.

Is there some country that has established women rulers and thus a better heir % since you can name your daughters?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Sephyr posted:

Has there been any changes to the HRE mechanics? Whenever I attack a HRE member now, I get Austria and all of its billion allies leaping into war with me instead of just the Emperor, as was the case some time ago (I believe).

Nope.

quote:

Is there some country that has established women rulers and thus a better heir % since you can name your daughters?

Pretty sure that isn't a thing.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

PittTheElder posted:

Nope.

Pretty sure that isn't a thing.

He means name them as heir. Which is a thing, otherwise you could never get female heirs.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, in that case England does have a bunch.

Other than that you can just trawl the country files. Larger magnitude numbers mean the name is more likely to be rolled, negative means they're female.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Most countries can have female rulers. All the christian monarchies can at the very least. I'm not sure that really matters in terms of having heirs though. lovely luck is lovely luck.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wiz posted:

I've identified and fixed the cause of [the suicidal AI declarations of war]. We'll look into whether to hotfix it.

Please do, I for one would really appreciate it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Yashichi posted:

If you support Sweden's independence at the very beginning of the game you can cripple Denmark. They never seem to ally anyone and your starting navy combined with Sweden's and possibly Novgorod's is easily enough to beat Denmark's and get their army stuck on some island.

It depends. I started a Sweden game. Day 1 I had Novgorod and Scotland support my independence and DOWed Denmark. I was able to keep half their army stuck in Fyn. Sometimes they brought in Bohemia to the war though and I had to restart the game. How much of Skåne you take back is dependent on how much debt you want to get into supporting your war. But yeah, it's trivial as Sweden as long as they don't bring anyone in from Europe.

Yashichi
Oct 22, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

It depends. I started a Sweden game. Day 1 I had Novgorod and Scotland support my independence and DOWed Denmark. I was able to keep half their army stuck in Fyn. Sometimes they brought in Bohemia to the war though and I had to restart the game. How much of Skåne you take back is dependent on how much debt you want to get into supporting your war. But yeah, it's trivial as Sweden as long as they don't bring anyone in from Europe.

That was referring to the Hansa chat. Once you get Sweden separated from Denmark the latter is incredibly weak, and your starting army and navy are usually enough to get the job done.

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Is there a way to stop my troops from trying to board transport fleets halfway across the world, besides disabling and re-enabling auto-transport every single time

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I love it when an enemy AI nation marches through four or five of its own enemies--passing numerous other enemy armies in the process--just to get at one of your own armies, say, on the opposite side of Europe. The Commonwealth went to war with the HRE and bypassed every country between it and me (the Papal States, with my armies in the middle of what used to be France) just to get at some of my troops. Wish I had whatever intel they've got.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive been away from this game for a while and the OP is pretty outdated.

What DLCs have been released since CoP? Which are considered the "required" ones?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Oceanbound posted:

Is there a way to stop my troops from trying to board transport fleets halfway across the world, besides disabling and re-enabling auto-transport every single time

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
I'd be satisfied with an option on that popup which meant "No, just walk there." As it is, if I want to get an army from Venice to Alexandria and I have an automatic transport anywhere in the world, my options are "Yeah, bring those boats over from Japan" and ":effort:"

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Ive been away from this game for a while and the OP is pretty outdated.

What DLCs have been released since CoP? Which are considered the "required" ones?

Art of War, Wealth of Nations, The Republic and El Dorado all add a few (or for Art of War a TON) of content and are definately worth the pickup, AoW (most content) and El Dorado (nation designer!) are probably the best though

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

As sweden is it worth it to weaken yourself (by releasing finland and selling a few basetax worth of provinces) to become part of the HRE?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

double nine posted:

As sweden is it worth it to weaken yourself (by releasing finland and selling a few basetax worth of provinces) to become part of the HRE?

Yes. Make Finland a march and sell them one or two provinces.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Oceanbound posted:

Order them partway, then shift click the rest. It will queue movements and won't trigger whatever it is that makes the pathfinding ai go "the sea is the best way".

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
I think the developers should seriously think about changing the way colonial range is calculated, it consistently gets way too far ahead of schedule. It's 1642 here and Spain and Britain have just started their first SE Australian colonies, and Spain's started up it's first SIberian colony. Maybe just make a hard limit that's tied to date or diplo tech rate, and which can only be slightly pushed forward by getting closer cores. Or maybe make it so a province's colonial range extension contribution depends on it's base tax or whatever. It's kinda stupid how you colonize one uninhabited birdshit island in the middle of the Indian Ocean and can springboard yourself anywhere in the world from there.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

double nine posted:

It's usually a good idea to become part of the hRE if you're only a regional power. You get protection from the Emperor, bonuses if he starts reforms, you can take over the empire for yourself, and it makes expansion in Northern Europe much easier if you're buddies with the emperor so he never goes after you for unlawful territory.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

I think the developers should seriously think about changing the way colonial range is calculated, it consistently gets way too far ahead of schedule. It's 1642 here and Spain and Britain have just started their first SE Australian colonies, and Spain's started up it's first SIberian colony. Maybe just make a hard limit that's tied to date or diplo tech rate, and which can only be slightly pushed forward by getting closer cores. Or maybe make it so a province's colonial range extension contribution depends on it's base tax or whatever. It's kinda stupid how you colonize one uninhabited birdshit island in the middle of the Indian Ocean and can springboard yourself anywhere in the world from there.

Maybe they could make it so that colonization ranges are drawn from your capital/home territory (i.e. cores contiguous with your capital), not from the nearest core province, and then expand colonial range a lot at higher diplo levels. That would prevent Spain and Portugal from colonizing Siberia, prevent Indian Ocean shenanigans, prevent you from colonizing the entire Pacific as soon as you can get one island, etc. It could also stop you from colonizing super far into North America as soon as you've landed on the coast, since you would still be restricted by distance from your home in Europe.

I haven't really thought this through though, so feel free to tell me everything this would break about colonization.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Go west against the wind to the wessex west indies....

Wessex is also the Emperor, and Calais is an even worse blob than france.

And of course, Xilin Gol is doing nicely...

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Pu... er?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Alikchi posted:

Pu... er?

PU 'ER? I 'ADRLY KNOW 'ER!

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Alikchi posted:

Pu... er?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

All the people who said to back Swedish independence as the Hansa were right on the money. Denmark's been completely dismantled; didn't get Holstein in the peace accord but I did get a big gently caress-off ally right next door to the Danish fucks. :getin:

• Locked thread