Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Can someone remind me whether it's better to stick low-range/glove guys at 1B or RF and what the reasoning is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
I have a starting pitcher with 63 stamina/27 durability. he can reliably go into the low to mid 90s in pitch count every game, but it also leaves him with a 0(25) or a 1(27) rest rating or something close to that. He can usually recover to 100% rest by the time it's his turn again, but is that going to mess him up in the long term?

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Can someone remind me whether it's better to stick low-range/glove guys at 1B or RF and what the reasoning is?

How low are we talking here/what is his arm?

tatankatonk posted:

I have a starting pitcher with 63 stamina/27 durability. he can reliably go into the low to mid 90s in pitch count every game, but it also leaves him with a 0(25) or a 1(27) rest rating or something close to that. He can usually recover to 100% rest by the time it's his turn again, but is that going to mess him up in the long term?

Do you mean health/decline implications or just performance? If the former, there's really only anecdotal evidence that overwork can lead to problems. The latter, there is a level of rest above 100%, so you should typically try to let a pitcher wait a day after he hits 100% before his next start, as with JT Matthews below:

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

AlleyViper posted:

How low are we talking here/what is his arm?

FI/GL below 20, STR/ACC in the 60s

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

ThatsMyBoye posted:

FI/GL below 20, STR/ACC in the 60s

it's generally thought a better idea to stick your DH types in RF instead of 1B because RF sees less plays in general and DHs generally have strong arms which is enough to mitigate some of the poor plays and errors.

at least I think that's the basic gist of it. DHs at 1B are minus-play machines, as I recall (not to mention the low glove and errors).

e: sometimes I wonder if they've tweaked the game since we started with that idea, because I just looked at Zack Padden from my Regular Joes team, and he's had a number of minus plays in RF in addition to roughly a .950 FPCT. However, I won two WS with him playing RF so it didn't hurt me that much.

nasboat fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 19, 2015

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

nasboat posted:

e: sometimes I wonder if they've tweaked the game since we started with that idea, because I just looked at Zack Padden from my Regular Joes team, and he's had a number of minus plays in RF in addition to roughly a .950 FPCT. However, I won two WS with him playing RF so it didn't hurt me that much.

Padden has done better than Eugene Scott did when MBU was playing him in RF gratuitously (6 errors and 23 - plays in season 22, though he did have 8 OF assists) so I would doubt any major negative change has been made.

And yeah, it would generally take a Eugene Scott-type bat at the minimum for me to justify playing a guy like that in the field, personally. Of course I just found out that a team in another world won 97 games with this guy in LF, this guy in freakin' center field and a platoon of this and this in right, so my entire world view has been shattered.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

AlleyViper posted:

Of course I just found out that a team in another world won 97 games with this guy in LF, this guy in freakin' center field and a platoon of this and this in right, so my entire world view has been shattered.

:stare:

the dream is real

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Not too far removed from Scott with the bat. This is the guy I mean (non-Dimaggio)

http://whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=6439842

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Art, thanks for picking up and starting Aramis Hernandez, so we can see a 13 control in action.

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/Boxscore.aspx?gid=69627899&pbp=0

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Tavarin posted:

Art, thanks for picking up and starting Aramis Hernandez, so we can see a 13 control in action.

I'm having fun

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Tavarin posted:

The most amazing part of that, I think, is that it only led to four runs

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
My team sucks and is too injured and I'm blowing it all up. Send offers if you want my major league guys.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

gardenald posted:

The most amazing part of that, I think, is that it only led to four runs

Yeah, there were even two wild pitches, but we left 9 on base over those five innings.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Somehow Art's guy will end the season with a lower era then my entire staff

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

How is beepers leading the NL right now

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This season, playing the role of Derrick Graves will be Tom Jakubauskas.

Jesus Christ.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Goodbye Jonathan Fabregas, I gave you way too much money

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

We have another injury on our hands. Chip Steele at the ML level will be sidelined roughly 20 HBD days stemming from his recent misfortune [Shoulder, strained]. He definitely needs to go on the DL; whether it's the 15-Day or 60-Day depends on how you view your roster's flexibility. We'll let you know if anything changes on the road to recovery. Good luck!!!

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Furio Martin has already hit the 15 day DL for the second time this season. I suppose my absurd injury luck in this world is finally catching up to me.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

we've got a few openings in Zimmer -- merged world, entering season 4 right now -- so if anyone would be interested in getting in on a young world, let me know

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
jhonny jose has reached the majors so i hope you're ready for me to make the same "JhoJo's Bizarre Adventure" joke a thousand times

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Steve's Weenie doing everything he can to prove gyro wrong

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Nah, I knew he owned. He's actually proving me right that all of you should have sent me trade offers for him.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

nasboat posted:

we've got a few openings in Zimmer -- merged world, entering season 4 right now -- so if anyone would be interested in getting in on a young world, let me know

JOIN US DAMNIT

LOOK AT THIS AWESOME PROSPECT WHO'S ON AN OPEN TEAM

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

nasboat posted:

JOIN US DAMNIT

Dammt why can't i trade for prospects across worlds

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Now Eugene will never be a Primetimer :(

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Devo posted:

Now Eugene will never be a Primetimer :(

yeah, an actual good owner can have him if I can get someone cool to take the team!

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I'll leave my team and take that team :v:

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Aramis Hernandez just won a game and I am super pissed

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

ArtVandelay posted:

Aramis Hernandez just won a game and I am super pissed

Statements like this is why you should get out of our world.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Despite the fact that he has handpicked the worst players imaginable, Art still can't outlose the team that I seriously tried to compete with

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

duyarvish posted:

Despite the fact that he has handpicked the worst players imaginable, Art still can't outlose the team that I seriously tried to compete with

He just took 3 of 4 from me. Literally.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
as mentioned in world chat my best player is dead now so i'm calling this season over. Anyone is available in the right deal. call me

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCRae5mRoRE

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

No high health pitcher is safe this season

stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade

nasboat posted:

JOIN US DAMNIT

if you pay me to do it I might

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

quote:

Monday, March 23 2015

The next step in our under-the-hood upgrades will be overnight Tuesday, March 24th - Wednesday, March 25th. We will be migrating and unifying our database servers to the latest version.

In order to accomplish this significant task, we must push all our game schedules back 24 hours. We've had to do this a few other times in our company history. Here's a quick overview of what it means:

At 4:00PM ET on Tuesday, March 24th, we will de-activate all processes that result in games being simulated, recruiting and free-agent negotiating, etc. Basically, anything that happens during one of our processing cycles will be halted for 24 hours.

At 4:00PM ET on Wednesday, March 25th, we will re-activate all processes and games will proceed normally.

During the time in between, you'll still be able to access your teams and perform actions, but any action requiring our periodic processing will be paused until the following day. For example, in Hardball Dynasty, you'll be able to change your lineup or sign a Tryout Camp player, but if you put in a waiver claim or free-agent offer during the offseason, you won't hear back until the following day.

To make this happen, we will be pushing all scheduled events back 24 hours. So a game that is currently scheduled for March 26th, for example, will be adjusted to be played on March 27th.

The entire website will be down overnight from very late Tuesday to early Wednesday AM. Estimated time offline is 6 hours.

To reiterate the post above, this is another step we need to take so that we can return to frequent and meaningful updates to our games.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Double post to remark on how fun the Hideo Miyakazi Experiment has been so far

I eagerly await a string of 6-walk starts and implosion

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Uublog's pitching is starting to get iffy and he hasn't logged in for a few days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Working on it

• Locked thread