Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Thanks Droo.

Bugamol posted:

His justification for getting the meal planner was it told him how many calories to eat. It seems completely counter productive to drink 1-2 beers each day during the week and 3-4 on weekends (probably 200-300 calories each here since they're home brewed).

I also made a slight assumption that he drinks soda/energy drinks/not-water liquid throughout the day as well. This could be wrong. He could easily be drinking 1000+ liquid calories each day.

No I very rarely drink soda. Maybe once a month or something. I've cut back on energy drinks to maybe one every two weeks or so, and that's mostly because I was tired of my discretionary budget always getting used for that. I've been drinking coffee and water exclusively.

Anyway no biggie I'll chill on the beer for both health and finances for a little bit at least.

e: saw your edit - I drink coffee black. I usually only drink coffee with creamer if we go out to breakfast and that's pretty rare. Once every 6 months maybe. Black coffee is kind of a leftover habit from drinking godawful coffee at some graveyard shift industrial jobs I've had. I think cream actually made it worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Droo posted:

This is a ridiculous statement. He already owns the equipment, he can do it at home while watching his baby, and the cost of an additional batch is probably about the same as buying beer at a grocery store.

Did any part of my statement have anything to do with how convenient or cheap it is?

Droo posted:

He says he drinks 1-2 beers a day during the week, and 3-4 on weekends. Even 4 pints of beer doesn't add up to "1000 + liquid calories a day" so I'm not sure where you are getting that number from.

Also, just because you want to keep drinking alcohol doesn't mean you aren't allowed to improve other aspects of your diet to try and improve overall health.

It's extremely detrimental to weight loss for more reasons than "amount of calories" especially since it fucks up your macros hard core. Plus 1-2 beers a day is so ridiculously vague that it could be anywhere from 300-1000 calories depending on the alcohol content of the drink. It's the fact that he's meal planning his calories through an online service while trying to also squeeze in beers is just like his budgeting planning in which he tries to have his way with everything. There's a fundamental difference between improving your diet and going on a weight loss diet.

It's a super bad idea to drink that much while dieting period done don't argue it.

Though brewing your own beer if you need to drink is a good value if you have all the parts and keep it cheap!

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Veskit posted:

I thought you were on a diet. loving drop the hobby for a while poo poo man you're starting to sound super impulsive again.

You are so hyperbolic sometimes that it pains me.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

BossRighteous posted:

You are so hyperbolic sometimes that it pains me.

It's kind of my thing sometimes!!!! SEE HOW MANY EXCLAMATION POINTS THERE WERE!!!!!!

I do believe a pattern develops when he's under stress though.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
A recruiter for a local company just contacted me about a developer position. It would most certainly come with a pay raise, and a family member ("step uncle") happens to be around executive level there, if not quite executive (I can't remember I haven't talked to him about his job in a couple years). The average pay for this position in my city seems to be $75,000.

Should I pursue? That would be a $12,000 pay raise assuming I hit average pay (and I'd shoot for more of course).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
What's the downside?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

What's the downside?

Hm, the downside I can think of is the job potentially not working out and needing to look for another, instead of just exploring the waters more or less. It's likely a small chance, but still possible.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Knyteguy posted:

Hm, the downside I can think of is the job potentially not working out and needing to look for another, instead of just exploring the waters more or less. It's likely a small chance, but still possible.
That's kind of a universal downside to any job, though. If you have some sort of emergency fund and are eligible for unemployment, I'd say go for it.

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.
That's sort of limiting your thinking about it. Is the commute longer or shorter? How big is the company and the team you'd be working on, compared to where you work now? Differences in benefits? There are tons of questions I won't bother to ask, but you should!

In the end though there isn't any harm in going through interviews and setting what you could get, as long as you don't think your current boss/company will find out somehow.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

That's kind of a universal downside to any job, though. If you have some sort of emergency fund and are eligible for unemployment, I'd say go for it.

Good point thanks.

Inverse Icarus posted:

That's sort of limiting your thinking about it. Is the commute longer or shorter? How big is the company and the team you'd be working on, compared to where you work now? Differences in benefits? There are tons of questions I won't bother to ask, but you should!

In the end though there isn't any harm in going through interviews and setting what you could get, as long as you don't think your current boss/company will find out somehow.

Oh I see. Well yes it would probably necessitate a second car because it is probably about 30 minutes from where we live now, and my wife's hours aren't consistent enough for us to commute together. OK I'll try to speak to my step dad's brother about it, and then go through the recruiter for the rest (external recruiter, so I wouldn't want to screw them out of a commission when she gave me a heads up). I'll pursue it to the point of interviews and see what happens, unless someone here has some good reasons I should consider otherwise? I don't think my boss would hold it against me if he found out.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

Knyteguy posted:

would probably necessitate a second car

:munch:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Knyteguy posted:

Well yes it would probably necessitate a second car....

:yikes:

Knyteguy just met the midboss I guess.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I don't see a problem with needing another car. Budget $800-1500 and go buy one for cash. Do you have any mechanic friends? Become better friends with them :cheers:

Also, if your boss is upset with you for getting a new job, gently caress him.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 19, 2015

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

I don't see a problem with needing another car. Budget $800-1500 and go buy one for cash. Do you have any mechanic friends? Become better friends with them :cheers:

Also, if your boss is upset with you for getting a new job, gently caress him.

We live in a world where employers expect total loyalty from their employees, and feel shocked if someone leaves for a better opportunity.

Those same employers feel 3% a year raise is "good enough" and would have no issue laying you off at a moments notice.

EDIT: The last company I worked for wouldn't give existing employees a raise to market rate, but would hire new employees for the same job (with less experience) for more money because it was market rate.

My new company is pretty solid though.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 19, 2015

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

If you have a family member at the company, you should definitely give them a call and let them know you're looking at an opportunity there. He might be able to get you the inside track.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
Also, I'd imagine some of your fine home-brew would be a nice bargaining chip with your friendly, local mechanic!

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Bugamol posted:

We live in a world where employers expect total loyalty from their employees, and feel shocked if someone leaves for a better opportunity.

Those same employers feel 3% a year raise is "good enough" and would have no issue laying you off at a moments notice.

EDIT: The last company I worked for wouldn't give existing employees a raise to market rate, but would hire new employees for the same job (with less experience) for more money because it was market rate.

My new company is pretty solid though.
We didn't get raises this year.. But we got higher bonuses as a % of gross income than last year.. And the VP of HR is proud we had 15% turnover last year. The comment came off as very smug and very dumb.

ufsteph posted:

If you have a family member at the company, you should definitely give them a call and let them know you're looking at an opportunity there. He might be able to get you the inside track.
Yes. Inside track is FTW.

Grouco posted:

Also, I'd imagine some of your fine home-brew would be a nice bargaining chip with your friendly, local mechanic!
Typically yes! I suggest waiting to pay in full till after the job is done ;)

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

SiGmA_X posted:

And the VP of HR is proud we had 15% turnover last year. The comment came off as very smug and very dumb.

Is his name Mitt Romney, and does he "enjoy firing people"?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

SpelledBackwards posted:

Is his name Mitt Romney, and does he "enjoy firing people"?
No, but the level of smugness was on par with Willard, that's for sure. Same with the CEO. I was embarrassed for them, it was a very classless public forum.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Little over half way through the month.

How are you doing on spend?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Bugamol posted:

Little over half way through the month.

How are you doing on spend?

Busy day I'll try to address the rest of the points soon.

Spending is OK-to-good. I'm a little worried though, because we went out to dinner with my uncle and aunt on Wednesday, we're going out to dinner with more of the extended family tonight, and my wife's friend is having her birthday party at a nice Greek restaurant tomorrow. Not sure how it'll all fit into the budget yet.

Great for the diet huh. One of the busier weeks we've had (another birthday party on Sunday but that won't cost anything).

edit and all of this was proposed this week so we didn't have a bunch of time to plan for it all month. Tomorrow's birthday party I just found out about this morning.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 20, 2015

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Knyteguy posted:

Busy day I'll try to address the rest of the points soon.

Spending is OK-to-good. I'm a little worried though, because we went out to dinner with my uncle and aunt on Wednesday, we're going out to dinner with more of the extended family tonight, and my wife's friend is having her birthday party at a nice Greek restaurant tomorrow. Not sure how it'll all fit into the budget yet.

Don't go to the dinners, or use your discretionary to cover it if you'll go over budget. Going out to eat and later saying whoops is a pattern that you have had in the past with other things.

ufsteph
Jul 3, 2007

Knyteguy posted:

I'm a little worried though, because we went out to dinner with my uncle and aunt on Wednesday, we're going out to dinner with more of the extended family tonight, and my wife's friend is having her birthday party at a nice Greek restaurant tomorrow. Not sure how it'll all fit into the budget yet.

As the parents of a newborn, you have more than enough justification to say "No" or "It isn't in our budget to do that". Alternatively, you can meet for drinks or dessert and not have the whole meal there.

Also, if your family isn't paying for you after inviting you out, they're kind of jerks.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
If it wasn't planned for and isn't in your budget you can just say no thanks.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011
Hopefully this doesn't start up that age old debate, but don't bring your newborn to a party at a nice restaurant. Not only can you not afford it, you'll (and everyone around you will) be miserable.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
I would also consider that your baby is new and little and vulnerable to all the gross germs people and kids carry around. I woudl definitely skip the party, especially if there are going to be kids there....

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Alright well I asked my wife to see if we can do the "out for drinks" part of the birthday only instead. One cocktail for myself is cheaper than dinner and appetizers for two. I don't think many people will be there.

Tonight's dinner I need to go. We haven't had a family get together like this in around a decade.

Sunday maybe I'll stay home with the baby then Rhea. I'm pretty sure there will be quite a few kids there.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.
Stop
Eating
Out

Stop
Finding
Excuses

Learn to say, "No." What the hell is wrong with you?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

foxatee posted:

Stop
Eating
Out

Stop
Finding
Excuses

Learn to say, "No." What the hell is wrong with you?

I don't want to say no to family I see maybe once a year?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Invite them over to visit and see the baby before or after dinner?

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
The good thing about family is they'll still be around, even if you say no. Moreover, you shouldn't want them around if they're so obtuse to not understand your financial/life situation.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

n8r posted:

If it wasn't planned for and isn't in your budget you can just say no thanks.

This is the whole point of a budget. Otherwise you're doing an end of month reconciliation the same as Slow Motion.

Unexpected things can come up. That's why you have discretionary and emergency funds, but is going out to dinner three times in a week really an emergency? Was it necessary that you went out for dinner with your aunt and uncle and then go out again with more family? Is it really that important you show up to someone else's birthday party with a newborn?

There are a lot of ways you can easily withdraw from any of these social obligations.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
We definitely don't want to see a SloMo budget here. You have a way deeper put and decently smaller income... STICK TO THE PLAN.

sheri posted:

Invite them over to visit and see the baby before or after dinner?
This. Don't be an irresponsible parent.

Grouco posted:

The good thing about family is they'll still be around, even if you say no. Moreover, you shouldn't want them around if they're so obtuse to not understand your financial/life situation.
This, too.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
KG, last Friday night some good friends invited us to join them (2 couples) for dinner. I knew it would be $75 after drinks and tip. I politely declined, but we invited them to stop by afterward for a homemade dessert, and home-roasted coffee and drinks. Total cost to us was maybe $15 in booze and food ingredients and everybody had a great time.

Zanthia
Dec 2, 2014
If your family and friends want to see your baby, they will come and visit you. I also think it's strange that your family wants you to go out to eat but isn't paying for it. You've said before that they think you're better off financially than you really are, so maybe that's why. I still pay for meals when we go out to eat with my sister and her family.

Also:

Knyteguy posted:

Alright well I asked my wife to see if we can do the "out for drinks" part of the birthday only instead. One cocktail for myself is cheaper than dinner and appetizers for two. I don't think many people will be there.

Tonight's dinner I need to go. We haven't had a family get together like this in around a decade.
I hope your relationship is more equal than it comes across here. You really want to go out to eat with extended family, but her friend's birthday is negotiable? You get an expensive NFL package, home-brewing stuff, a PS4, etc., but all she buys is knitting supplies? You had an "alcohol" line item that wasn't out of your discretionary while she was pregnant and couldn't drink anyway? And apparently you had to dip into her discretionary to cover essentials because the budget was insufficient? It's possible that I misunderstood some of those situations, though.

It's not a big deal if you're both happy with how things are either way, but make sure you aren't being selfish. Don't rely on her to tell you that you're being selfish, because it's too easy for someone to go along with what the other person wants just to make them happy.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Zanthia posted:

If your family and friends want to see your baby, they will come and visit you. I also think it's strange that your family wants you to go out to eat but isn't paying for it. You've said before that they think you're better off financially than you really are, so maybe that's why. I still pay for meals when we go out to eat with my sister and her family.

This stuck me as kind of weird too, in my neck of the woods meeting a friend's/family member's new baby would involve an afternoon visit at their home and bringing them a lasagna. Depending on how close I am with them, there may be some household chores help.

How is it that your peers are all expecting you to bring a less than 1 month old or for dinner and drinks?

Baja Mofufu
Feb 7, 2004

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

This stuck me as kind of weird too, in my neck of the woods meeting a friend's/family member's new baby would involve an afternoon visit at their home and bringing them a lasagna. Depending on how close I am with them, there may be some household chores help.

How is it that your peers are all expecting you to bring a less than 1 month old or for dinner and drinks?

It's weird because it's exactly the situation pediatricians and health care workers tell new parents to avoid: going out to crowded indoor public places where lots of people will want to meet/touch the newborn. It's hard to make sure everyone looks well and washes hands before touching the baby, especially if there are kids around.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Baja Mofufu posted:

It's weird because it's exactly the situation pediatricians and health care workers tell new parents to avoid: going out to crowded indoor public places where lots of people will want to meet/touch the newborn. It's hard to make sure everyone looks well and washes hands before touching the baby, especially if there are kids around.
This x1000, my cousin (and her hubby) is a nurse and she was very diligent about this with her daughter around the rest of us.

And its loving HORRIDLY RUDE to take a child to a *nice restaurant*, the rest of us don't want to hear your brat! Don't take it to anywhere but a very *family friendly* place, where rude people with children have already ruined it for everyone else.

foxatee
Feb 27, 2010

That foxatee is always making a Piggles out of herself.

Knyteguy posted:

I don't want to say no to family I see maybe once a year?

Your family should be buying you dinner, idiot. This is the second time that I can recall in recent months in which you've used the family excuse of buying dinner. You just told us about going over your grocery budget because you bought food and drinks for visiting family. Every loving month you talk about going over your grocery budget (while having a poo poo ton of prepared food in a freezer) because you and your wife can't stop eating out.

Someone else pointed it out, but all this "taking family out to dinner" poo poo is just giving them the impression that you have disposal income. You don't have disposable income (unless you take it out of discretionary). I swear if I weren't on a phone, I'd go back and quote every loving time you went over grocery budget, BUT IT'S OKAY GUYS WE GOT SO MUCH FOOD NOW WE'RE TOTALLY GONNA SAVE MONEY NEXT MONTH!

Stop.
Eating.
Out.

Stop.
Finding.
Excuses.

Learn right now so you can teach your child better habits and set him up for a life of financial success.

Glob drat you make me angry sometimes. But that's only because I made the same mistakes as you and it took having a kid to realize I gotta get my poo poo together. I can bury myself with stupid financial decisions, but not her. I'll teach her what my parents didn't teach me. You should be thinking the same, and break these bad habits you have right loving now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Pretty sure KGfamily is equally as terrible with their money to the point where they cannot afford to take KG/KGwife out but still expect them to go out. Not sure about the whole not taking a baby out to public places. I think the attitudes toward not exposing your kids to the world/allergens early has been changing. YMMV.

• Locked thread