Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

McTinkerson posted:

My boss just took delivery of his P85D and has been taking everyone for rides. Holy Shitnacks, it is fast. The 1st thing he did upon getting in was put it in insane mode and says it's staying in that mode forever. Riding in that thing has now single handily destroyed sports cars for me.

Why does it even have a mode that's not Insane Mode?

I mean I'd be ok if you had to do some little missions or put miles on the car to unlock it, but once it's unlocked it should be permanent and the only option unless you want to put it in Ultimate loving Pussy I'm Afraid Of A Literal Thousand Foot-Pounds Of Torque Driving In The Snow mode.

That mode should set off flashing lights marked "SPECIAL BOY" and alert Tesla support so they can call you and laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Why does it even have a mode that's not Insane Mode?

I mean I'd be ok if you had to do some little missions or put miles on the car to unlock it, but once it's unlocked it should be permanent and the only option unless you want to put it in Ultimate loving Pussy I'm Afraid Of A Literal Thousand Foot-Pounds Of Torque Driving In The Snow mode.

That mode should set off flashing lights marked "SPECIAL BOY" and alert Tesla support so they can call you and laugh.

because you can't make it to vancouver supercharger to supercharger if you drive like a wanker.

there's one in canmore, golden, revelstoke, kamloops, and hope. driving through the mountains i would imagine you have to touch each one for at least 10 minutes and taking highway 1 instead of the coq is out of the question.

Still, free juice there and back, i'd probably do weekend trips to vancouver if i got one for free, but for the price of a 85D which is the base AWD model, you can get a BMW 335xi and $44,000 in fuel, which could get you 530,000 kms. or a 535d and $30k in fuel good for 476k kms. or a mustang GT, focus ST, and f-150.

The tesla is a really fast novelty, but a novelty nonetheless

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I don't understand why people have this constant insistence on using the Tesla as a vehicle to actually get places, as opposed to how I see it, which is a taxpayer-subsidized bottle rocket you can cackle maniacally in.

Range anxiety more like tire life anxiety.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Because at the end of the day, it's primary purpose is to get places, and with the exception of the P85D it performs largely like a regular car.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

It really should be treated as a weekend sports car. I'm convinced 90% of Tesla's success was the decision to not market it as a car for dirty granola eating hippies like every other hybrid/electric model is.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But it sucks at that, too.

It's a bajillion pounds without the range to be a grand tourer.

It's a luxury appliance car and the superchargers make it usable for trips longer than a day, but it's too heavy to be a sports car, too expensive to be an appliance, too poorly made to be a luxury car, and with it's goofy technical tricks that are bound to fizzle out is basically disposable.

it's a car built for the type of owner who proudly displays the key on his belt where his palm pilot used to go.

It's an impressive car with impressive capabilities, but that's pretty much where it ends.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Getting back to Taber:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igGmLZGsrnk

Which one of you is running the dashcam, and which one of you is the idiot in this video?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Beats me, but those are Onterrible plates.

You can also tell from the lack of lifted trucks and the presence of a general odour of grinding poverty.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

You can also tell from the lack of lifted trucks and the presence of a general odour of grinding poverty.

YRK = York Regional Police, so basically Toronto. Also hah, that was awesome. What an idiot.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
In Vancouver I've seen 3 separate Tesla sedans and each one was being driven by an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Too hilly for Taber :v:

The radio in the car was talking about Taber

Also, Youtube ads found a way to get past my ad blocker :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

Too hilly for Taber :v:

The radio in the car was talking about Taber

Also, Youtube ads found a way to get past my ad blocker :argh:

adblock has started taking payments from google and other companies to let ads through. you just can't win.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

adblock has started taking payments from google and other companies to let ads through. you just can't win.

ublock, yo

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Calgary Karting Club's new track

I may need to get a gokart :ohdear:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

God that looks like fun. Where is it?

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
No words for the beauty and majesty of that track

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Isn't it just outside Strathmore?

E: yup, it is. Now we just need an adult-sized track around here, preferably not one built by knobs kthx

MrChips fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Mar 20, 2015

Shoota_McG
Sep 8, 2004
Neckbeard, let's buy go karts and tow them with your TDI.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

oh man

That is so incredibly great looking. How much are carts for fat guys, and can I build my own?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Shoota_McG posted:

No words for the beauty and majesty of that track

Seriously. It looks better then the majority of current F1 tracks.

MrChips posted:

E: yup, it is. Now we just need an adult-sized track around here, preferably not one built by knobs kthx

I'd say badlands but I think the last part disqualifies it if you're referencing the person I'm thinking of.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

oh man

That is so incredibly great looking. How much are carts for fat guys, and can I build my own?

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Slung Blade posted:

carts for fat guys

Yes! Yes you can!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pocketbike and 50cc moto races are also held on those tracks. And yeah a lowered UTV would be pretty cool, or add some dirt piles as jumps for a rally-x style course.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

1500quidporsche posted:

Calgary Karting Club's new track

I may need to get a gokart :ohdear:

fuuuuuuuuuuck this isn't helping my recent kart obsession

we should do formula wood there

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/445968790/plyfly-go-kart

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

DrakeriderCa posted:

Yeah I have a rally car fund and I'm seriously considering just using that for a gokart now that I've seen that track. It'd be so much more cheaper to run... Plus I think there's supposed to be a 3 hour endurance race in October.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

Shoota_McG posted:

Neckbeard, let's buy go karts and tow them with your TDI.

Holy shitballs yes

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah I have a rally car fund and I'm seriously considering just using that for a gokart now that I've seen that track. It'd be so much more cheaper to run... Plus I think there's supposed to be a 3 hour endurance race in October.

Ain't no way anyone older than about sixteen can do three hours straight in a loving shifter kart.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Ain't no way anyone older than about sixteen can do three hours straight in a loving shifter kart.

Challenge accepted!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

DrakeriderCa posted:

we should do formula wood there

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/445968790/plyfly-go-kart

:aaa:

That looks awesome

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

24 hour MDF kart race with water guns. Do it!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Powershift posted:

24 hour MDF kart race with water guns. Do it!

You meant water balloons and banana peels right?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

But water baloons could explode in your own cart and start melting it.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I read through the rules for the 2013 race because gently caress doing work at this place on a friday and you can have as many drivers as you want.

That being said I'd definitely want to try for the 3 hour run even though it'd probably be near impossible.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If you finish, they would have to pour you out of the seat straight into a hot tub.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

I bet you could turn a tidy profit with a track side hot tub. Most people practically give them away on kijiji due to how much of a bitch moving them is.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Generally you split it up with more than one driver, but if you don't have a regular routine, more than a 1/2 hour in a cart is going to cause major fatigue. I've done 2 hours at an indoor track, polished concrete and being in very good shape I was still hosed up for 3 days after. Triceps, lats and neck took the most beating. Also I wore a raw spot into my back.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

If you finish, they would have to pour you out of the seat straight into a hot tub.

Pretty much. I'm pretty battered by the end of longer TSDs in my scirocco with no power steering and clutch out of a tractor so I can only imagine what a bitch that'd be to accomplish. It'd be an incentive to get in shape though (which I'm not).

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just saw at a local dealer you can get a brand new Nissan Micra for $9998 :canada:

I didn't even know that Nissan brought the Micra back, let alone get one for under $10K. :stare:

Are they as lovely as I suspect they are?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

slidebite posted:

I just saw at a local dealer you can get a brand new Nissan Micra for $9998 :canada:

I didn't even know that Nissan brought the Micra back, let alone get one for under $10K. :stare:

No, they're worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

slidebite posted:

I haven't driven one, but it has the 1.6 out of the versa which is buzzy but competent.

it's also $9,998 plus $1600 dest. no A/C charge because it doesn't have AC. i haven't driven one but i sat in one at the auto show and it's fine for $10k if you must own a new car.

They also sell the race version for $20k.

I wonder if the track owners would let you call this a kart.

edit: somebody at regal is losing their mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_QBovydDh4

nothing really of note at the next sale. 94 525 but $2900 reserve. 180k lincoln LS V8 at 2k reserve.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 20, 2015