Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Clawshrimpy I think we can get the charges dropped if you plead insanity

LORD OF BUTT posted:

GaoGaiGar doesn't even look like a word anymore
Good because it's not!

Paper Lion posted:

Sometimes a drill is just a drill.

Also humans are creatures of duality, the movement of a drill is the same movement as a spiral expanding outward (the creation of infinity) so they're still just expressions of that. You could make an attempt at arguing that the reverse-direction drills of the Anti-Spirals are inherently yonic since they are opposing forces to the phallic drill and therefore women are like, holding the menfolk back or whatever garbage, but that case would be a bit tough to actually prove within the text of the material.

Now, drills as phallic objects in Dead Leaves, on the other hand...

The spiral imagery is continued in Kill La Kill, where spirals are linked with the bad guys.It casts the life fibers as a variation on the spiral nemesis - creating life and increasing in population and power until it literally destroys the world in the name of continued growth. The villains also run a megacorporation. Hm, I wonder what that represents...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Hbomberguy posted:

Clawshrimpy I think we can get the charges dropped if you plead insanity

Good because it's not!

The spiral imagery is continued in Kill La Kill, where spirals are linked with the bad guys.It casts the life fibers as a variation on the spiral nemesis - creating life and increasing in population and power until it literally destroys the world in the name of continued growth. The villains also run a megacorporation. Hm, I wonder what that represents...

It is also important to note that in Kill La Kill, the people channelling the Spirals (in the form of fibres) are in fact all women. The only men with access to that power are granted it by women. The only exception to that being Ryuko, who is granted it by not one but two men (her father and the male Senketsu himself). Could this be fuel as evidence that women literally cannot handle the power of progress and that it can only be bestowed by men?

EDIT also please do not misgender the antagonist females of KLK as "bad guys" you loving bigot

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Potsticker posted:

Pack it up male adults, female children are superior.

agreed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1_erBASUh8

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Yes men have all the power and it has to be given to women. Just like in real life.

Just kidding you have to grab some scissors and loving take it.

Also bad guys is shorthand for antagovillains don't make me look sexist i'm gonna kill myself

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Clawshrimpy posted:

Because in essence, Children are generally better people than adults are. The new generation has more freedom and better clarity than the old. GaoGaiGar shows pretty clearly how Mamoru acts is a strength, not a weakness. In essence, it shows his softer non-masculine things as a very positive part of him.

And as we see with all those times Guy fails, it shows masculinity can lead to hubris and overconfidence.

If you think children are better than adults, why do you have a problem with GGG being a children's show?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
I cant wait for ISIS to destroy this stupid gay country.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Megumi was totes a super robot. Rocket punches, eyebeams and a big energy sword. Even moreso than Miyuki from Smile who turned into a literal giant robot in one episode.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Since I am now home and no longer phone posting, gonna reiterate:

Srice posted:

Watch Wandering Son and then see how the gender argument for GGG holds up, tia.

Clawshrimpy take a look at this, it would be really helpful if you were to watch a show that does take a close look at gender issues.

You're clearly interested in the subject since you're trying to force it into GGG, so why not watch something that actually addresses the subject?

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Droyer posted:

If you think children are better than adults, why do you have a problem with GGG being a children's show?

Because of that being used as a way of saying it has no depth or good story when it does.

"children's show" gets used as short hand for "objectively bad" too much.

Danball Senki Wars is a bad show not because it's a children's show, it's a bad show because it's poorly written and poorly made.

GaoGaiGar, despite having about as much marketing as any show with giant robots does, is good because it's well written and well developed in terms of it's characters and plot.

Plus, all robot anime is for young audiences to varying degrees.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Who is saying that here? We're all talking about the shows animated for children we enjoy, regardless of the target audience.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Potsticker posted:

Who is saying that here? We're all talking about the shows animated for children we enjoy, regardless of the target audience.

Look back a couple of pages when I was trying to point out GGG has depth/gray morality and all the people telling it's nothing more than a black and white kids show with zero depth/good writing

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Clawshrimpy posted:

Look back a couple of pages when I was trying to point out GGG has depth/gray morality and all the people telling it's nothing more than a black and white kids show with zero depth/good writing

Cite your sources.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Potsticker posted:

Godannar is weirdly more positive and feminist despite the massive fanservice and hypersexualization.

Godannar has my favorite resolution to a love triangle as well.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Clawshrimpy posted:

No. You were trying to push it as fact that GGG is objectively superior for handling aspects better through your own headcanon, going as far to use the definitions of a black and white conflict (black and black is not a thing) wrong and even add characterization where there wasn't any. Not once did we say things bad about the show, you took it personally.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Clawshrimpy posted:

Because of that being used as a way of saying it has no depth or good story when it does.

"children's show" gets used as short hand for "objectively bad" too much.

Danball Senki Wars is a bad show not because it's a children's show, it's a bad show because it's poorly written and poorly made.

GaoGaiGar, despite having about as much marketing as any show with giant robots does, is good because it's well written and well developed in terms of it's characters and plot.

Plus, all robot anime is for young audiences to varying degrees.

You're the only one say that. Why are you labeling 'Children Shows' as bad? You tried to throw Sesame Street under the bus. Who does that?

GGG is just as much of a kids show as any other one. Episode by episode moral of the days, standing up for what is right and just, emphasizing the value of friends and family.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Revolver Bunker posted:

You tried to throw Sesame Street under the bus. Who does that?

Clawshrimpy and Hitler

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Clawshrimpy posted:

As I recall people were pointing out to you that GL is also a kids show. From what I saw you were the only one applying a negative connotation to the term.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Don't blatantly ignore this post that calls your stupid rear end out for your kinda weird shoehorning of gender issues into GGG:

Srice posted:

Since I am now home and no longer phone posting, gonna reiterate:

Srice posted:

Watch Wandering Son and then see how the gender argument for GGG holds up, tia.
Clawshrimpy take a look at this, it would be really helpful if you were to watch a show that does take a close look at gender issues.

You're clearly interested in the subject since you're trying to force it into GGG, so why not watch something that actually addresses the subject?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Paper Lion posted:

Clawshrimpy and Hitler

Let's not go there. Everyone knows between the two, Goebbels would be the one to throw it anyways.

EDIT: Yeah, we cited GGG as a kid's show. That is not an inherently bad thing. Animaniacs is a kid's show, just about everything Disney's ever animated was a kid's movie, including Darkwing Duck, TaleSpin and Duck Tales (woohoo). Limiting your viewpoint because of a perceived stigmata against children's programming is pretty doofy.

TARDISman fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Potsticker posted:

As I recall people were pointing out to you that GL is also a kids show. From what I saw you were the only one applying a negative connotation to the term.

Because people were making the assumption about GGG about it not having gray morality and not having depth, using the label of kid's show to prove it.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Clawshrimpy posted:

Because people were making the assumption about GGG about it not having gray morality and not having depth, using the label of kid's show to prove it.

NO ONE SAID ANY OF THAT

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

TARDISman posted:

Let's not go there. Everyone knows it's Goebbels anyways.

Goebbels is just Cookie Monster's Nazi-sona.

Clawshrimpy posted:

Again I ask: Cite your sources. Provide quotes of the posts that made this direct assertion in no uncertain terms. Your arguements mean nothing if you cannot provide evidence and are a waste of everybodys time.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

Depth =/= High quality
∴ Lack of Depth =/= Low Quality

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Sakurazuka posted:

holy loving poo poo it is a kids show and has zero loving literary merit

that doesn't make it bad.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

While I agree that that is a reductionist post that did nobody any favours, I also rebut that Sakurazuka was not actually part of that discussion and was merely posting in bad faith out of frustration of how obtuse you can be. he was not one of the posters in the direct line of conversation with regards to that topic (as far as I remember, further proof can be provided to prove me wrong on that assertion).

Also Shrimpy you have been doing a bit better lately and we can see your effort so therapy has been working, keep on keepin' on lil guy and keep the oath of therapy courage in your heart

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

Don't blatantly ignore this post that calls your stupid rear end out for your kinda weird shoehorning of gender issues into GGG:

I think it would be a good way for some self-improvement, or it would at least lead to fewer terrible misunderstandings of gender issues, so if Shrimpy were to do that it would be a win/win, imo.

Hell, way I see it, he probably rewatches GGG all the time and this would only take a mere fraction of the time :v:

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

He was saying you shouldn't treat it like a work of literary art on the level of say, Beowulf, Gilgamesh, Shakespeare or Dickens. It is a show about robots saving the world from aliens. It doesn't try to be high art, nor should it be elevated to that level.

Also...

Sakurazuka posted:

that doesn't make it bad.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel
Also having characters with differing morals does not change the color of the conflict.

The conflict being two, distinct sides, makes it black and white. They are opposites. Thats why they fight. If you were suppised to sympathize with the Z Master in any way, then maybe it'd be grey.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Yosuke posted:

Also having characters with differing morals does not change the color of the conflict.

The conflict being two, distinct sides, makes it black and white. They are opposites. Thats why they fight. If you were suppised to sympathize with the Z Master in any way, then maybe it'd be grey.

But you are supposed to sympathize witht he Z-Master, or at the very least, the People of the Purple Planet who created it. doing away with destructive negative thoughts is a intriguing, interesting goal, it's just eliminating free will and positive emotion in the process wasn't worth it.

And in FINAL you definitely can sympathise with Palus Abel, especially right before she evaporates.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Clawshrimpy posted:

But you are supposed to sympathize witht he Z-Master, or at the very least, the People of the Purple Planet who created it. doing away with destructive negative thoughts is a intriguing, interesting goal, it's just eliminating free will and positive emotion in the process wasn't worth it.

And in FINAL you definitely can sympathise with Palus Abel, especially right before she evaporates.

No you aren't its a giant cackling cyclops monster computer with Guile hair taken to its absurd conclusion that's trying to destroy the world.

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Clawshrimpy posted:

That is YOUR interpretation. That is YOUR opinion.

To most viewers, it is still a giant space monster threatening to destroy all the known universe, and beyond brief flashbacks, most people aren't going to really care. You do, I don't, nor do I care to find out the tragic backstories of monsters of the week.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

"When you think about it, mankind is the real monster" - A giant space monster that enjoys turning humans into monsters.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

To begin: a bit of backstory on me.

I initially got interested in Mecha because of real robots and this interest later expanded to include super robots (as much as a distinction exists), so I must confess that I am less familiar with supers and their traditions, so some thing may pass me by. I have however seen Gaogaigar so it will be interesting to compare and contrast them, especially considering they share a main writer. With all that said...

Da Garn episode 1

Summary:

The episode starts in a peaceful neighborhood where our protagonist Seiji is awoken by half a dozen alarmclocks. After turning them off he promptly falls back asleep and has to be awoken by his next-door neighbor and love interest(?) Hikaru. After this we learn that his mother is a news anchor and spends a lot of time at her work, so Seiji is used to taking care of himself.

On the news (which his mother presents) we are told that a UFO has appeared and is being chased by three fighter jets.

While on the way to school Hikaru quizzes Seiji on whether or not he has forgotten to do something before he left, and he realizes that he forgot to lock his front door. After having returned and locked it they are both late to school, so Seiji proposes a shortcut through a temple, but not before pranking a passing policeman by making him fall off his bike.

Once at school they see their classmate and Seiji's other love interest(?) Sakurakouji (no first name given yet) standing under a tree, but a string gust blows in which forces them to cover their faces, and when they look again she has disappeared.

In class we are again shown the news where we are told that the UFO has destroyed the three fighters and Seiji's dad, who works for the Groval Defense Organization, says that they have to conclude that it is an alien attack on earth and that it is headed towards Japan. Sakurakouji also opens a window and says something cryptic about how she can hear the earth calling for help.

After class Seiji runs up on a hill in the hopes of seeing the UFO, with Hikaru following him. Hikaru is worried something is going to happen and Seiji says that everything is normal and peaceful, but just as he says that a flash of light appears over a nearby mountain (and they also see Sakurakouji talking to a teacher on the school roof).

The flash of light turns out to be the UFO, which flies towards the school. Once there we see that it looks like a giant shuriken, which then transforms into a robot. Seiji is initially excited, but becomes afraid after it starts attacking, knocking Hikaru and a policeman (who showed up in a sweet-looking sportspolicecar) unconscious.

Carrying Hikaru on his back, he flees towards the temple. Once there, a mysterious column of light appears, which calls out to Seiji. He enters it and is transported to a black void with a hovering golden artifact in front of him. The artifact tells him telepathically that it is called the Aurin and that the earth is in danger.

After grabbing the Aurin he is returned to the temple. A ray of light shoots off from the Aurin and hits the policesportscar, which causes is to drive up to the temple by itself and transform into a robot (it's fortunate that the vehicles in these kinds of shows always have the internal mechanisms to transform just in case some kind of protecter spirit were to inhabit them). The robot identifies itself as Da Garn and asks for orders. Seiji is at first afraid and confused, but when the UFO robot comes closer he shouts "help me" in a panic, to which Da Garn responds "roger" and begins fighting the enemy robot.

After a short battle the robot is defeated by Da Garn's pistol: Da Garn Magnum, which blows a hole straight through it's torso. The last thing we see before the credits is a man clad in red aboard a spaceship close to earth, who has a short conversation with a small robot about howneither of them knew that earth had the technology to produce this kind o robot, and he ends by saying that it will be interesting that someone on this planet will be able to stand against him and chuckling evilly.

My thoughts:

A perfectly passable first episode. Seiji is shown to be a bit lazy, forgetful, something of a prankster, and he doesn't seem to have much respect for authority. I expect that he will grow out of most of these qualities by the end of the show. I am interested in what the Aurin/Da Garn is, and what the villains end goal is, but we're not really given enough information yet to even make an educated guess. As such, I feel there isn't much else to say about the first episode of Da Garn, so I will end it here.

If you have any constructive comments or things you think I could improve of, please tell me. English isn't my first language, so if I made any spelling or grammar mistakes feel free to point them out.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Potsticker posted:

Megumi was totes a super robot. Rocket punches, eyebeams and a big energy sword. Even moreso than Miyuki from Smile who turned into a literal giant robot in one episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqW7lkSojq4

Pretty much the entire traditional Mazinger arsenal showed up in Happiness Charge and most of it was used by Cure Lovely. (I think the Rust Hurricane equivalent was just a thing Princess did once.) There was also that one time she did a Shining Finger.

Clawshrimpy
Aug 10, 2013

by XyloJW

Yosuke posted:

That is YOUR interpretation. That is YOUR opinion.

To most viewers, it is still a giant space monster threatening to destroy all the known universe, and beyond brief flashbacks, most people aren't going to really care. You do, I don't, nor do I care to find out the tragic backstories of monsters of the week.

I don't know, at least it's easier to feel sympathy for the Sol Lords or the Zonders than say....I dunno Gundam villains everyone swears up and down are "grey".

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

lmao how can you watch any non-poo poo gundam series and think that

*zeon soldiers drop aid packages for refugees, are then brutally killed by amuro*

"those guys deserved it"

as opposed to

Srice posted:

"When you think about it, mankind is the real monster" - A giant space monster that enjoys turning humans into monsters.

NotALizardman fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Mar 20, 2015

Yosuke
Dec 21, 2006

Emperor of Steel

Clawshrimpy posted:

I don't know, at least it's easier to feel sympathy for the Sol Lords or the Zonders than say....I dunno Gundam villains everyone swears up and down are "grey".

I will only explain this once. Sides of a conflict are not decided by a character. Gundam stories are considered grey because no SIDE, is truly united and in the right. Their actions and beliefs are decided through circumstances, and while the named persons can be laughibly evil, they do not represent their whole faction.

So while you can sympathize with a large number of faceless goons, more power to you. No one is stopping you, but it doesn't change anything beyond the fact that the 3G want to save their world and the Sol Masters want to destroy it. I am saying this using WHAT HAS BEEN SHOWN TO ME ON SCREEN, and not adding my own personal canon.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

Da Garn stuff

Yeah, not a whole lot to say about the first episode. I mainly continued because of the good word of mouth and because I really enjoyed the early 90s artstyle.

It's pretty much in the middle as far as first episodes go. Not the flashiest way to start but it does a decent enough job.

What stood out to me the most back when I watched the first episode was the commercial break eyecatch in the middle. It's awesome.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Srice posted:

Yeah, not a whole lot to say about the first episode. I mainly continued because of the good word of mouth and because I really enjoyed the early 90s artstyle.

It's pretty much in the middle as far as first episodes go. Not the flashiest way to start but it does a decent enough job.

What stood out to me the most back when I watched the first episode was the commercial break eyecatch in the middle. It's awesome.

The funny thing about that eyecatch is that though it's hard to see most of the text is stolen from old X-Men comics. There's like Magneto ranting about Asteroid M in one of them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Clawshrimpy posted:

By and large the villains, your Gihren Zabis, your Sciroccos, or your Ribbons aren't meant to be a grey morality. They're largely amoral leaders who are hellbent on manipulating people for the sake of achieving their goals. We're talking the entire show features a grey morality, in that both sides have good and bad. The Sleeves have Angelo, but they also have Marida and Zinnerman. The Federation has Martha and Riddhe's dad, but it also has Daguza and Bright. One of the primary themes of Gundam isn't that the antagonists are meant to be equally sympathetic as the protagonists, but the leaders of both sides of any given war are supposed to be shitheads, with reasonable people caught in the crossfire. This is one of the ways many people feel that SEED, Destiny, and eventually Unicorn fell short, as the story went on, more and more of the sympathetic people end up on one side, leaving just the cackling maniacs on the other.

• Locked thread