Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yup, tempered glass is by far the best for staying clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've got an old OG iPad kicking around that I kind of just want to use for reading technical PDFs in Goodreader.. Will the App Store still provide me a version of Goodreader that runs on that ancient POS?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

In theory it should; the store should give you the latest compatible version unless the publisher opted out. Give it a try.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I cant find a definitive answer online: Can a 1st gen iPad Mini AT&T be used on tmobile?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipad/specs/apple-ipad-mini-original-a1454-4g-lte-att-specs.html

quote:

This specific iPad mini A1454 model also has support for A-GPS and GLONASS, GSM/EDGE, UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA, and LTE bands 4 and 17. In the US, it first was intended to run on the AT&T network (and T-Mobile was added subsequently).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

kitten smoothie posted:

In theory it should; the store should give you the latest compatible version unless the publisher opted out. Give it a try.

You know what, the App store no longer sold it, but it was still available when I went to my "Purchased" section of the App Store app. So I ended up being able to download it. Not a terrible PDF reader device I guess.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

feigning interest posted:

I cant find a definitive answer online: Can a 1st gen iPad Mini AT&T be used on tmobile?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/ipad/specs/apple-ipad-mini-original-a1454-4g-lte-att-specs.html

It looks like it has support for T-Mobile's LTE band but not for T-Mobile's HSPA+ on 1700 AWS. So you may find some issues if you're not in one of their "modernized markets" where they're doing HSPA+ on 1900 and you are in a situation where you can't get a good enough LTE signal. In that case you might find yourself falling back to EDGE.

But the iPads all come unlocked and it qualifies for T-Mobiles 200MB for life free plan, so get a SIM from them for the free plan to at least take a stab at how it runs wherever you are.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
Great info, thanks for clearing that up!

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

JustJeff88 posted:

I just wanted to thank everybody for the feedback about my post from a few days ago. I ended up returning that iPad 3, mostly for financial reasons but also because it was dated and they would have stopped updating the OS on it within 2 years, tops. Also, as stated, I did play with it a bit and it seemed to run slowly in general. I didn't mind the bulkiness as I am a big man with big hands, so for me smaller is not always better.

Perhaps someday I will have a decent job with some actual security and I can afford to get myself a proper, modern tablet, but that's as may be.

Hey, it's not my SA-Mart post, but just a heads-up, someone's looking to sell a 4th-gen 32GB wifi iPad for $275. Seems like a pretty reasonable price for a device that'll work a lot better than that iPad 3 would have.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704778

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

kitten smoothie posted:

Hey, it's not my SA-Mart post, but just a heads-up, someone's looking to sell a 4th-gen 32GB wifi iPad for $275. Seems like a pretty reasonable price for a device that'll work a lot better than that iPad 3 would have.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3704778

That's a pretty good price, 16gb 4th gens are selling on Apple's refurb site for $299

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I'm thinking about swapping out my 32GB "New iPad" (3rd gen?) for a 128GB Air 2. I see best buy has them on sale, and target has a 10% off coupon through their cartwheel app, but there is an announcement today. Guess I'll find out in a few hours if there are any surprise updates. Was going to check the refurb price on the apple store but the site is down for the event.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I really, really wouldn't expect an update today unless they do a mid-cycle silent update like they did with...iPad 2 was it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I really, really wouldn't expect an update today unless they do a mid-cycle silent update like they did with...iPad 2 was it?

Nah, the Gen 3 model. Went from 30-pin to lightning.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

flosofl posted:

Nah, the Gen 3 model. Went from 30-pin to lightning.
No, that was a mid-cycle new device, not a silent update. There was one model that they revised the SoC with a smaller process giving it better battery life, but didn't make an announcement and just started selling them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

No, that was a mid-cycle new device, not a silent update. There was one model that they revised the SoC with a smaller process giving it better battery life, but didn't make an announcement and just started selling them.

That *does* sound vaguely familiar.

QUICK! To the Google-Cave!

EDIT: Yep. iPad 2 right after the Gen 3 announcement.

"Wikipedia iPad 2 Article posted:

The upgraded variant of the iPad 2 features a smaller version of the Apple A5 SoC, which is able to reduce battery consumption.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Mar 9, 2015

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Alight. Just pulled the trigger on a 128GB iPad Air 2 wifi for $600, and can go pick it up in store at best buy later today.

The applecare plus, do you have to go through apple to order it?

I'm on the fence about it cause I had it on my last iPad but I bought that from apple and never needed it. I forgot to add it to my iPhone 5S but never damaged that either. I always get applecare for laptops because I make them last longer and they cost 3 times as much. If this thing breaks in a couple years it just gives me an excuse to upgrade again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Take in to an Apple Store or call them. They do a diagnostic to make sure you didn't break it already. If it checks out, you're good to go.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

JHVH-1 posted:

Alight. Just pulled the trigger on a 128GB iPad Air 2 wifi for $600, and can go pick it up in store at best buy later today.

The applecare plus, do you have to go through apple to order it?

I'm on the fence about it cause I had it on my last iPad but I bought that from apple and never needed it. I forgot to add it to my iPhone 5S but never damaged that either. I always get applecare for laptops because I make them last longer and they cost 3 times as much. If this thing breaks in a couple years it just gives me an excuse to upgrade again.

You are the perfect case for arguing against low-value insurance. GJ subsidizing replacements for all the clumsy/unlucky users, I guess!

Though I'm pretty sure I've messed up not getting AC+ on my MBA. Thing is loving haunted and has had basically every component on it repaired at this point, and it just broke again. It's spent like five weeks in the Apple Store altogether.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

You are the perfect case for arguing against low-value insurance. GJ subsidizing replacements for all the clumsy/unlucky users, I guess!

Though I'm pretty sure I've messed up not getting AC+ on my MBA. Thing is loving haunted and has had basically every component on it repaired at this point, and it just broke again. It's spent like five weeks in the Apple Store altogether.

Yeah, I always recommend Apple Care for computers/laptops. I've used it enough times that it's a sound investment in my eyes.

For iPhones and iPads I guess it comes down to, "How clumsy are you?" I got it at first, but stopped for the last couple iterations because I've never, ever used it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

tuyop posted:

I have had various MacBooks have entire logic boards replaced, the whole top case w/ keyboard on one, ram. After seeing what the bill would have been I got my moneys worth on that. An iPad they are just going to swap it out but its more for accidental damage which these devices don't seem to prone to and I usually carry them in a padded case or bag.

Speaking of which... I just realized I had the magnetic cover thing on my previous iPad and now I need to decide if I need a new one. I have this bag http://www.amazon.com/CaseCrown-Horizontal-Messenger-Generation-Display/dp/B005D81IBO (Really good quality stuff if anyone needs something like that) and a plastic stand I usually use, so I'll probably skip the cover for a while and decide later.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I'm jumping on the Best Buy deal to get a 64GB Air 2 myself.

Does Best Buy give a poo poo if you trade in an iPad with an engraving? I can get $100 from them or so for my 16GB third gen iPad, and honestly I don't think anyone is going to pay more than that on Craigslist since I was stupid and got my name engraved on it.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Rorus Raz posted:

I'm jumping on the Best Buy deal to get a 64GB Air 2 myself.

Does Best Buy give a poo poo if you trade in an iPad with an engraving? I can get $100 from them or so for my 16GB third gen iPad, and honestly I don't think anyone is going to pay more than that on Craigslist since I was stupid and got my name engraved on it.

Sounds like their policy doesn't mention it, so I guess its worth a try:
http://forums.bestbuy.com/t5/Other-Customer-Service-Support/Trade-in-engraved-iPad/td-p/864595

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I got the full value of the estimate their site gave me, so don't sweat it if you got an engraving.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Rorus Raz posted:

I got the full value of the estimate their site gave me, so don't sweat it if you got an engraving.

That's great news, thanks for letting us know. I'll have to trade mine into Best Buy as well then when I finally decide to upgrade. Really does make me wonder what they do with them though. Maybe they have some way of getting the engraving off or they just swap parts between different iPads.

Crew Expendable
Jan 1, 2013

letthemreadprose posted:

Has anyone here used the new Adonit styluses for notetaking? I have a first gen iPad Air.

I have no art skills whatsover, so this would be used solely for scribbling notes/in lieu of a whiteboard. I've tried the Bamboo styluses before, but found the tips too big (I typically prefer 0.5 or 0.7 mm tip pens). If the Adonits are good, does anyone have thoughts on Jot Mini vs Jot Pro?

I had the Jot Touch with Pixel Point™ and it was terrible. I ended up returning it. It supposed to be more accurate that a regular iPad stylus but its not. The lines it makes are really wavy unless you are moving very fast, its still not that fine of a point, the tip is a hard plastic, and it only works when powered on. The bluetooth connect is also a little flakey. I ended up getting a Cosmonaut instead, which I actually like a lot.

I only use the cosmonaut for art though. The lag and the lack of precision just makes it too difficult to take good hand written notes with an iPad. I still hand write notes and take a picture if I need to digitize them. I haven't found anything that beats handwriting notes unfortunately (I want to believe :sigh:) . I've tried a Surface Pro 3 as well, and while it's better, handwriting on paper still blows it out of the water.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crew Expendable posted:

I had the Jot Touch with Pixel Point™ and it was terrible. I ended up returning it. It supposed to be more accurate that a regular iPad stylus but its not. The lines it makes are really wavy unless you are moving very fast, its still not that fine of a point, the tip is a hard plastic, and it only works when powered on. The bluetooth connect is also a little flakey. I ended up getting a Cosmonaut instead, which I actually like a lot.

I only use the cosmonaut for art though. The lag and the lack of precision just makes it too difficult to take good hand written notes with an iPad. I still hand write notes and take a picture if I need to digitize them. I haven't found anything that beats handwriting notes unfortunately (I want to believe :sigh:) . I've tried a Surface Pro 3 as well, and while it's better, handwriting on paper still blows it out of the water.

As a counterpoint, I love my Jot Touch with Pixel Point™ with the Air 2. I use it with Note Shelf which hooks into all the Adonit APIs except for pressure sensitivity. It's an integral part of my note-taking workflow. I also use it with Forge and Concepts for diagraming and proof-of-concept sketches for networking stuff.

My only issue is that using it as a regular stylus with non Adonit aware apps can be hit or miss at times.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 20, 2015

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, notetaking on paper is still basically the way to go. Sucks, because I would love the ability to rearrange chunks of handwriting or diagrams or what have you.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there a case for the iPad 4 that is relatively similar in format and quality to the official ones but not as expensive? There's so much garbage to sort through it just become an exercise in frustration.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is there a case for the iPad 4 that is relatively similar in format and quality to the official ones but not as expensive? There's so much garbage to sort through it just become an exercise in frustration.

Get a rooCase Origami - about $20, it is solid in all orientations, provides decent protection, doesn't add a lot of bulk, and is generally the best non-keyboard case out there. I got mine from Amazon.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

porktree posted:

Get a rooCase Origami - about $20, it is solid in all orientations, provides decent protection, doesn't add a lot of bulk, and is generally the best non-keyboard case out there. I got mine from Amazon.

Either I'm terrible at searching or they've simply stopped selling non ipad Air/mini cases. I'll keep looking, thanks for the tip!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there a way to actually make and play video playlists on my iPad without having to get some stupid app for a functionality that should be built in by now goddammit?

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
On the off-chance that no one has posted this yet, the AmazonBasics tablet stand is loving awesome. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes to read PDFs or other vertical format documents, or for students looking to take notes while reading books on their iPads.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I'm not very familiar with apple devices, but best buy has the 16GB Air 2 with cellular on sale for $500, which drops even further with the 10% mover's coupon. Is 16GB a reasonable amount of storage given that I don't care about carrying around a million hours of HD anime? I'd be using the device for web/forum access and streaming video from my media server. I don't think I'd need much mobile data, but it would be nice to have access to T-mobile's free 200MB/mo just in case I choose to take it somewhere. I honestly have no idea how much space iOS takes, but my 16GB android device has been just fine.

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013
16gb is not much. iOS is ~7gb or so. On my 64gb air 2 I have some games and media apps. No music or videos and only a few pictures and there is 50gb free. If you absolutely know that you will never want to store any movies or pictures on it then you might be ok. Just beware that of that 16gb you'll most likely only ever have use of 8-10.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Mein Eyes! posted:

On the off-chance that no one has posted this yet, the AmazonBasics tablet stand is loving awesome. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who likes to read PDFs or other vertical format documents, or for students looking to take notes while reading books on their iPads.

I've had that one for a few years and love it. There were a few other sellers offering it under brand names like Arkon before Amazon started selling it. I've taken it with me when I travel and sometimes use it with the kindle as well (putting the device laying on its side while I read before bed).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Loucks posted:

I'm not very familiar with apple devices, but best buy has the 16GB Air 2 with cellular on sale for $500, which drops even further with the 10% mover's coupon. Is 16GB a reasonable amount of storage given that I don't care about carrying around a million hours of HD anime? I'd be using the device for web/forum access and streaming video from my media server. I don't think I'd need much mobile data, but it would be nice to have access to T-mobile's free 200MB/mo just in case I choose to take it somewhere. I honestly have no idea how much space iOS takes, but my 16GB android device has been just fine.

JRay88 posted:

16gb is not much. iOS is ~7gb or so. On my 64gb air 2 I have some games and media apps. No music or videos and only a few pictures and there is 50gb free. If you absolutely know that you will never want to store any movies or pictures on it then you might be ok. Just beware that of that 16gb you'll most likely only ever have use of 8-10.
They have a little more than 12 GB available out of the box. If all you're doing is browsing the web and maybe getting a few apps, that's fine, but if the 64 GB model is also on sale, you'd be far better off getting the upgrade.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

Valid points. The 64GB isn't on sale or I'd have bought it already. I just want instant gratification, which is a terrible way to buy expensive electronics. I'll wait until the 64GB Air 2 goes on sale. With any luck I won't have to wait until November for a new generation to come out to see price drops. Thanks!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If you start wanting to play games and want to grab ones that take advantage of the graphics power of the device the space starts adding up. 560MB for bastion, 660MB for Galaxy on Fire 2 HD, 630MB for Hearthstone. Infinity Blade II and Horn are both slightly over 1GB... all those can add up if you like to load up your games just in case you are in the mood to play one and might not have a good network available to grab them on a whim.
Some hotels I have stayed at had lovely wifi that I could barely load a single one of those. Between that and all the storage I was having for music production apps and audio they produce I ended up filling up 32GB by being a hoarder and just went and bought a 128GB model this time around. (Oh but I bought it on sale at best buy for like $600, otherwise I would have waited)

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It looks like there are two models of the LTE mini 2. The A1490 seems to support basically all major US carriers, but the A1491 apparently doesnt according to https://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/. Is it safe to assume that the A1490 is the US model? Also, for some reason Best Buy and others advertise different LTE iPad mini 2s for each carrier even though, again, they seem to support every band one would want. Is there any reason to care which carrier's device one is buying? I assume I could get the T-mobile 200MB plan on any LTE mini 2 as long as it's an A1490, yes?

Edit: and the same is true for the Air 2?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I wouldn't think the A1491 is sold in the US. It's probably only the US compatible one sold there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Loucks posted:

It looks like there are two models of the LTE mini 2. The A1490 seems to support basically all major US carriers, but the A1491 apparently doesnt according to https://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/. Is it safe to assume that the A1490 is the US model? Also, for some reason Best Buy and others advertise different LTE iPad mini 2s for each carrier even though, again, they seem to support every band one would want. Is there any reason to care which carrier's device one is buying? I assume I could get the T-mobile 200MB plan on any LTE mini 2 as long as it's an A1490, yes?

Edit: and the same is true for the Air 2?

The Sprint one might be a special, locked snowflake, though that might not be the case, but beyond that, the Verizon, AT&T, and T-Mobile versions should work on all three (though you might find some trouble getting a non-Verizon one on Verizon since they have to provision the SIM card on a "known" device).