Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Main Paineframe posted:

In the US there isn't really any centralized health records system, so you'd probably have to go to the doctor who gave the vaccination to get the record.

It's not unusual for people to get charged ridiculous fees by "records transfer companies" when they change doctors and have their medical histories transferred from one office to the other. Typically these companies just forward mailed photocopies from one office to the other, in TYOOL 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Vienna Circlejerk posted:

It's not unusual for people to get charged ridiculous fees by "records transfer companies" when they change doctors and have their medical histories transferred from one office to the other. Typically these companies just forward mailed photocopies from one office to the other, in TYOOL 2015.

Yet another reason its good to have insurance. I'm trying to imagine a doctor billing an insurance company for 'records transfer' and its pretty hilarious.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Well this was pretty :laugh:

«Biologist who dismissed measles as ‘psychosomatic illness’ and offered €100,000 to prove him wrong, proved wrong»
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/13/measles-sceptic-must-pay-doctor-100000

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Good news about my sister - her ob/gyn has the following on their website: "Please express your fears about immunizations and let us answer your questions based on the best available current scientific research. If you choose not to vaccinate your children you will need to find a healthcare provider who shares your views."

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

bitcoin bastard posted:

Yet another reason its good to have insurance. I'm trying to imagine a doctor billing an insurance company for 'records transfer' and its pretty hilarious.

It doesn't work that way. Bills not covered by insurance go to the patient.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

I'm dealing with the billing from a minor surgery right now, and its kinda eye opening just how much less doctors offices pay out to insurance compared to someone coming in off the street. Pretty much every invoice I've seen has about a 50% discount from invoice amount to amount <insurance company> paid out. I guess the insurance company could just pass the fee along to the customer, but I doubt the doctor's office would even try to run it by them.

Insurance companies are pretty great when they're on your side, which makes the USA not having single payer healthcare even more frustrating.

E: And to be clear, I'm not getting billed the other 50%, its just disappearing into the void after the insurance company pays its amount.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

bitcoin bastard posted:

I'm dealing with the billing from a minor surgery right now, and its kinda eye opening just how much less doctors offices pay out to insurance compared to someone coming in off the street. Pretty much every invoice I've seen has about a 50% discount from invoice amount to amount <insurance company> paid out. I guess the insurance company could just pass the fee along to the customer, but I doubt the doctor's office would even try to run it by them.

Insurance companies are pretty great when they're on your side, which makes the USA not having single payer healthcare even more frustrating.

E: And to be clear, I'm not getting billed the other 50%, its just disappearing into the void after the insurance company pays its amount.
Actually, you can, or could, get significantly lower prices if you don't use insurance.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 16, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Strudel Man posted:

Actually, you can, or could, get significantly lower prices if you don't use insurance.

I don't find that article very persuasive- it's indicating that the price difference is a case of loophole exploitation, and their sample is only from SoCal.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The chargemaster system is stupid, but it's great for medical providers. Patient doesn't have insurance? Charge a reasonable rate and say, "Look how much of a discount we're giving you!" Patient has insurance? Bill the insurance ludicrous amounts of money in case you're not in their network. Worst case scenario is you are, and insurance pays you a reasonable rate and tells you to gently caress off.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't find that article very persuasive- it's indicating that the price difference is a case of loophole exploitation, and their sample is only from SoCal.
Understandable. But it is a sign, at least, that you can't simply take the 'insurance discount' at face value in terms of what the uninsured would pay.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got diagnosed with Graves Disease while I had insurance, but it was the end of the year and where I worked changed do a different insurance company. I didn't really think much of it until I found out that since I had just gotten hired and just got insurance again and hadn't been covered for a full year yet, the Graves Disease was considered a pre-existing condition under the new insurance company and they wouldn't cover anything related to it. The next time I went to my Endocrinologist and talked to their billing person about it I had a panic attack when I found out how much the monthly blood tests, dr visits, and medications I had to take for a year still to treat my condition were going to cost. ((it was going to be about $1000 a month)) They worked with me and charged me as a not insured and as long as my blood work came back fine I could have phone meetings with the dr and it came out to be about $75 a month.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
No possible way this could end badly (semi-serious, since I highly doubt it will actually pass)

quote:

Thus, if scientists were able to specifically delete virulence factors from a bacterial pathogen in order to turn it into a harmless vaccine strain, this law would prevent its use in New York. Instead, scientists would have to put the virus through random mutation and hope to come up with the right combination of mutations to accomplish precisely the same thing.

The bill would also outlaw the use of most of the promising Ebola vaccine candidates, which involve splicing one of Ebola's genes into a harmless virus. And, as Forbes' coverage notes, one of the current vaccines available against rotavirus was developed through an unnatural reassortment of genes from several viral strains—an efficient way to protect against all the strains with a single vaccine.

Not really the movement, but I'm sure some of them will be cheering this on.

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I might have left a comment on an anti-vaxxing article over at Ravishly. Since it's a sight about women's issues, I just figured "Eh, I'll get some wishy-washy crap about how I just need to have children to really understand."

I might have gotten a response so wild and crazy I thought I'd show the goons. Because there is truly nothing I could say to unpack the level of crazy on display here!

See guys, if you just understood Reboscience better, we wouldn't HAVE epidemics.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Internet commentors like VainSaints are the reason that I both hate and love the internet. I hate that people that crazy actually exist but I love that the internet allows me to connect with them in ways that were not possible before Al Gore invented the world-wide web. Seeing that comment is like the first time I saw a photograph of a goblin shark instead of an artist's drawing of that mythical deep sea creature.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rebochan posted:

See guys, if you just understood Reboscience better, we wouldn't HAVE epidemics.

How does it feel to have an entire scientific field named after you?

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

QuarkJets posted:

How does it feel to have an entire scientific field named after you?

Since it's apparently the branch of science that acknowledges vaccinations work... pretty drat good.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Oh god not GOVERNMENT POWER. Dear god.

The only moral alteration of my precious fluids is MY alteration of precious fluids.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

FilthyImp posted:

Oh god not GOVERNMENT POWER. Dear god.

The only moral alteration of my precious fluids is MY alteration of precious fluids.

Speaking of which, I did some Internet research once, and it appears that Dr. Strangelove was the origin for a huge portion of the modern anti-fluoride movement, insomuch as it didn't seem to exist before that movie's release, because people are apparently incomprehensibly stupid.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I don't understand why they always freak out about these sorts of things? The US government can literally hand you a gun and tell you that you are now a soldier, deal with it and go shoot some people. How is that not an order of magnitude above the government telling you to take your god drat shots? I mean, do people not understand what exactly the government can do, and what historical governments could do?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

I don't understand why they always freak out about these sorts of things? The US government can literally hand you a gun and tell you that you are now a soldier, deal with it and go shoot some people. How is that not an order of magnitude above the government telling you to take your god drat shots? I mean, do people not understand what exactly the government can do, and what historical governments could do?

Most of the people who freak out about these sorts of things have little to no interactions with the government in any way that could be considered "forceful". They may have gotten a speeding ticket once or twice, or gotten busted for pot back in college, but for the most part they live their lives and have no idea what kind of hammer the government is legally capable of dropping on them.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Narcisscience is my new favourite word

Also is the crazy ranting person also undermining their own position regarding that omnipotent father thing, I'm confused.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm doing some research / translation work on a vaccination project in the Ukraine right now, so I'm hoping to use this thread as an auxiliary resource (is that ok, or like the equivalent of "do my homework for me"?)

Could you recommend books / edutainment media about vaccinations aimed at children? Or "immunization activities" for kindergarten / preschool teachers to conduct?

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Rebochan posted:

Reboscience, seen in action:

You are now immune to rubella

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Xander77 posted:

I'm doing some research / translation work on a vaccination project in the Ukraine right now, so I'm hoping to use this thread as an auxiliary resource (is that ok, or like the equivalent of "do my homework for me"?)

Could you recommend books / edutainment media about vaccinations aimed at children? Or "immunization activities" for kindergarten / preschool teachers to conduct?

http://www.immunizeforgood.com/resource-center/just-for-kids

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Thanks. That's the biggest compendium I could find in one place.

Do my google skills fail me, or did "Vaccines and me" disappear off the net completely? The other lost links I found with a cursory search.

Oddly enough (?), there seem to have been more children books published on the subject in the 20th century than the 21st. How up to date is something like
http://www.amazon.com/measles-mumps-Lets-read-find-out-science/dp/0690040172
?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Speaking of which, I did some Internet research once, and it appears that Dr. Strangelove was the origin for a huge portion of the modern anti-fluoride movement, insomuch as it didn't seem to exist before that movie's release, because people are apparently incomprehensibly stupid.

:allears:

This is just wonderful.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Thanks. That's the biggest compendium I could find in one place.

Do my google skills fail me, or did "Vaccines and me" disappear off the net completely? The other lost links I found with a cursory search.

Oddly enough (?), there seem to have been more children books published on the subject in the 20th century than the 21st. How up to date is something like
http://www.amazon.com/measles-mumps-Lets-read-find-out-science/dp/0690040172
?

Nothing has changed about vaccines recently, so I imagine it's fine. Also written for kids so even if something had changed it wouldn't be relevant to that level of writing - the mechanism of action for vaccines is always going to be about the same even if production methods change or something.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Truga posted:

:allears:

This is just wonderful.

General Ripper is primarily a composite parody of General LeMay and the John Birch Society, so people literally believed John Birch Society propaganda. :downsbravo:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Armani posted:

Reboscience, seen in action:

You are now immune to rubella

*dies of measles and mumps simultaneously*

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

bitcoin bastard posted:

*dies of measles and mumps simultaneously*

Vaccination by lightning strikes isn't exactly a precise science yet.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'm going to vaccinate you...tantrically

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Rebochan posted:

I might have left a comment on an anti-vaxxing article over at Ravishly. Since it's a sight about women's issues, I just figured "Eh, I'll get some wishy-washy crap about how I just need to have children to really understand."

I might have gotten a response so wild and crazy I thought I'd show the goons. Because there is truly nothing I could say to unpack the level of crazy on display here!

If I'm willing to let the government alter the chemical balance of my body, how can it be without my consent? :confused:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Found this little gem here. I really wonder if this is not from one of you guys.. I can only imagine this coming from a goon. It is simply brilliant.

E: Found it on a facebook group: Refutations to Anti-Vaccine Memes.
Worth following, they link those kind of things all the time.

E2: Here's a little something for next time someone tells you vaccine causes Autism:
http://justthevax.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/75-studies-that-show-no-link-between.html (Now updated to show 107 studies)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dalael fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 22, 2015

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Goddamn, that is hilarious. The idea of someone believing that sounds like a plotline in a sitcom or something.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Jolly good. Should have been, "...sink into my poors" though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Karia posted:

If I'm willing to let the government alter the chemical balance of my body, how can it be without my consent? :confused:

Presumably the implication is that children can't consent.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dalael posted:

Found this little gem here. I really wonder if this is not from one of you guys.. I can only imagine this coming from a goon. It is simply brilliant.

E: Found it on a facebook group: Refutations to Anti-Vaccine Memes.
Worth following, they link those kind of things all the time.

E2: Here's a little something for next time someone tells you vaccine causes Autism:
http://justthevax.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/75-studies-that-show-no-link-between.html (Now updated to show 107 studies)

Another piece of work from them:

I think my favorite is Sweary the Bear, though :getin:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They really nailed the look of those atrocious conspiracy graphics. I thought you needed a mental illness to do that so perfectly.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jack Gladney posted:

They really nailed the look of those atrocious conspiracy graphics. I thought you needed a mental illness to do that so perfectly.

They are clearly using their powers for good instead of evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
This has got to be my favorite

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread