Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

How old are you and how long have you been taking skating lessons?

I only ask because the private schools bit confused me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Skating lessons just starting recently, but by the time I would start playing hockey it would have been about 4 months of them? I actually just checked in with the local rink and they have lots of intro to hockey programs. Going to be going to those and attending a few classes and such and maybe play a few of the pickup games, and then get myself on a beer league team next year. I don't mind competition or douchebags, I just want to play. Thank you all for the rink suggestion, it worked really well.

I have a stick/ball that I will practice going around the house with. The position I want to play is Defenseman so I'm also trying to learn skating backwards well.

sellouts posted:

How old are you and how long have you been taking skating lessons?

I only ask because the private schools bit confused me.

The private school refers to high-school level teams. Local high schools will often not have enough players for hockey teams so they often combine them and allow independent players to join their teams, as long as you are reasonably within high school age (16-19).

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

*raises hand*

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yux036d86l2ivil/aa%20vs%20sk%20011512.avi?dl=0

5 games.

We ended up having one of our D-men put the goalie pads on. We had to keep playing while he was changing and the other team kept dropping slappers on a second poor D-man who had to stand in net while the other guy changed.

We could have asked a goalie wandering around the rink or in the learn to play class or something to play, but there were none available at the time.

Your league continues to amaze me with its shitheadedness.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Showed up to regular drop-in for the first time today (having been to rookie drop-in at a different rink a couple times) and man do I feel useless. I'm so much slower than everyone else, and when I had the puck in the offensive zone everyone on the other team basically just stopped moving. I got beaten in every battle and somehow managed to simultaneously give up the inside AND the outside every time I tried to play D. That being said it was pretty fun and I'll be doing it again, no one really seemed to mind that I was lovely.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
And nobody should, unless is specifically being held as a high level skate, thats what pickup is for. Just a reason for everyone to get out and skate.

If people get salty, gently caress em because if they are high enough skill level they should be in a league and not chirping dudes in pickup.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've never had people get crabby for dudes sucking at drop-in, but I have seen college hotshots just ignore everyone who didn't play at their level. Turned the skate into "everyone stands around as an obstacle while dekes mcsnipes skates end to end and roofs it THATS WHERE MOM KEEPS THE PEANUT BUTTER."

It only seems to happen around the time semesters end or schools are on holiday so I just avoid the rinks around that time.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I don't think anyone would say anything but the fact that people completely slow up when I have the puck kinda makes me feel like I'm interrupting a real game. I guess I get it though, I kinda do it to the really wobbly skaters when we do shinny after learn to play. I'd rather get beat a thousand times by someone who's trying but I can see how other new players would be happy to have a chance to carry it in the zone a bit.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

prom candy posted:

Yeah I don't think anyone would say anything but the fact that people completely slow up when I have the puck kinda makes me feel like I'm interrupting a real game. I guess I get it though, I kinda do it to the really wobbly skaters when we do shinny after learn to play. I'd rather get beat a thousand times by someone who's trying but I can see how other new players would be happy to have a chance to carry it in the zone a bit.

There's a difference between getting beat by someone who's roughly in your skill bracket and trying, and getting beat by someone who is world's better than you'll ever be. Most of the high-level guys who choose to play in a mixed-level setting understand that and play accordingly. But I know the feeling. The lucky thing is you're a younger guy and not a middle-aged lady, so hopefully in the future you'll experience it a bit less. ;)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

Skating lessons just starting recently, but by the time I would start playing hockey it would have been about 4 months of them? I actually just checked in with the local rink and they have lots of intro to hockey programs. Going to be going to those and attending a few classes and such and maybe play a few of the pickup games, and then get myself on a beer league team next year. I don't mind competition or douchebags, I just want to play. Thank you all for the rink suggestion, it worked really well.

I have a stick/ball that I will practice going around the house with. The position I want to play is Defenseman so I'm also trying to learn skating backwards well.

The private school refers to high-school level teams. Local high schools will often not have enough players for hockey teams so they often combine them and allow independent players to join their teams, as long as you are reasonably within high school age (16-19).

Keep doing learn to skate and learn to hockey. 4 months is nothing and learn to hockey should be the focus in my opinion.

18 is minimum age for beer league. If you're able to play at a high school why not just play in a midget house league for under 18. If you're still in high school that's where you should be.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Pinky Artichoke posted:

There's a difference between getting beat by someone who's roughly in your skill bracket and trying, and getting beat by someone who is world's better than you'll ever be. Most of the high-level guys who choose to play in a mixed-level setting understand that and play accordingly. But I know the feeling. The lucky thing is you're a younger guy and not a middle-aged lady, so hopefully in the future you'll experience it a bit less. ;)

Yeah, not that young but young enough I guess. My girlfriend has been playing for 20 years and guys at co-ed drop-in still slow down for her just because she's a girl.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

sellouts posted:

Keep doing learn to skate and learn to hockey. 4 months is nothing and learn to hockey should be the focus in my opinion.

18 is minimum age for beer league. If you're able to play at a high school why not just play in a midget house league for under 18. If you're still in high school that's where you should be.
Also worth noting: high school is definitely full contact, and I think midget house leagues probably will be too. If you can't skate well, you're asking to get injured by some jerk looking for a big hit. I'd prioritize skating over stick skills if you're going to end up in a full contact league.

(Most players aren't jackasses like that, but it only takes one.)

Skate with your head up, even if that means you lose track of the puck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Stop.

He's not playing AAA travel hockey. It's the lowest house league. Good habits can be learned by playing in this type of league (like keep your head up) and when I transitioned from roller to ice it was the first year of hitting. It was fine. You usually get the benefits of regular practice, a certified coach, and game situations. And it's almost certainly lower level than a high school team that takes players from beyond the fences of their school. Any school setup like that that I've seen has the ability to 'recruit' for lack of a better word. Not to mention high school teams = high school girls watching = earning a handy for being a tough guy by knocking the gently caress out of someone. The lowest house league is almost always the "safer" bet.

It only takes one jerk at any level, contact or not, to get hurt. Sometimes it doesn't take a jerk at all but bad luck.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 20, 2015

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I agree entirely that house is the right choice. I've just seen a shitload of teenagers break bones and get badly concussed I hate watching it happen. I consequently fall on the overly concerned side of things these days.

(I don't just coach travel hockey; I volunteer with a local high school team that has a very diverse talent mix.)

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Fair enough.

If he's not 18 I'm pretty sure no adult league is going to take him anyways. And by the time he's actually ready for a league he might only have adult leagues left.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

prom candy posted:

Yeah, not that young but young enough I guess. My girlfriend has been playing for 20 years and guys at co-ed drop-in still slow down for her just because she's a girl.

I hope she takes full advantage and makes them feel foolish.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Pinky Artichoke posted:

I hope she takes full advantage and makes them feel foolish.

She stops as well and they usually figure it out. For the most part she won't play co-ed though which sucks because I'd really like to play with her.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Had the first game of the new season with my D league team tonight. I got one shift in before the refs stopped the game because there was a hole in the ice all the way down to the concrete and they "didn't want anyone to break an ankle." Which is fine, I guess. Except that we just put cones around the hole and skated the rest of the ice time slot as a scrimmage against the other team. We probably could have just put the cones down and finished out the game. At least they're scheduling a make-up game for us.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
We put a cone down for a game once, and kept playing.The cone played great D & held the blue line all night. Broke up at least one rush.

That cone may or may not have went on to be NHL star Hal Gill.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Well I guess I can't bitch about the ice conditions at my rink then. I don't think it's ever been to the concrete. But the area right in front of the doors for the zam is hilly. It's really strange to go from flat ice to up and down.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
One time at ball hockey there was a leak from the roof and we had to play the entire game with a bucket in the middle of the play surface. No make up game.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
Our zamboni broke one time and the water was still running for a second and put a huge hole in middle of the neutral zone and it was hosed for about 3 or 4 days. People still skated but with a few cones set up near center ice.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Our ice has always been pretty good aside from one rink frequently being a little puddly in the corners for the first 10 minutes of games or so. That's fun as a forward, chip the puck into the corner and forecheck hard because it's going to stick to the ice and the D will overskate it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Leaky roofs are the worst I've encountered. Big rainstorm comes through, water drips down from the roof and leaves little stalagmites all over the place that make skating treacherous.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

someone blocked a shot on my team and it tore the holder from 3 rivets. Given that his skates were 70 dollars I think he's just going to get a new pair. Glad that thing wasn't an inch higher.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Yerba Buena had a big refrigerant fail that made a big chunk (maybe 1/5) of the rink unusable and went on for weeks. I was doing figure skating lessons at the time so I can't say how the hockey league handled it, but I would've been pissed to play under those conditions.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

bigbillystyle posted:

Our zamboni broke one time and the water was still running for a second and put a huge hole in middle of the neutral zone and it was hosed for about 3 or 4 days. People still skated but with a few cones set up near center ice.

A guy blocked a shot up into a sprinkler head in a game I played in. In like ten seconds that huge spray of water melted everything inside the blue line.

Sheet of ice was down for almost a week I think.

Best part was it was against our rivals and we had just scored to make it 2-1. They called the game because of the sprinkler thing and we got the W.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

^^ That's incredible and hilarious.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

So, I am in the market for new hockey pants. I'm going with Bauer, because I am a walking billboard for their equipment. I tried on Nexus and Supreme styles, but they seemed to wide in the waist. Would the Vapor style be a more snug fit at the waist?

Also, how different are shells from pants? I could be swayed into a shell instead.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I prefer easton pants but thats because I liked them better than everything else I tried on. According to bauer's website, this poorly illustrated graphic might help.

Vapors might have the tightest waist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The way I read that the nexus line is for fatties, the other two are for kids who want to skate coast to coast and roof it. Bauer gave them two names just to fuel locker room arguments.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

That graphic does nothing for me. They were on the pants too. Vapors were the only kind they didn't have at the store.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I think Supremes are generally a snug fit all the way around and are designed to fit higher up on the torso. Nexus look to be much wider fit up high.. so yes for fatties. Vapors seem to be a traditional pant with a snug waist and wider legs.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

someone blocked a shot on my team and it tore the holder from 3 rivets. Given that his skates were 70 dollars I think he's just going to get a new pair. Glad that thing wasn't an inch higher.

I took one on the inside near my big toe the other night. Luckily it was near the end of the night but I had trouble putting weight on it for a bit. I kept my boot on for as long as possible to keep some of the swelling down.

Verman posted:

I prefer easton pants but thats because I liked them better than everything else I tried on. According to bauer's website, this poorly illustrated graphic might help.

Vapors might have the tightest waist.

I hate pants. I'm at a size for most companies where I am between the L and XL. Large is too snug while the XL is too huge. My current pants are Rebook, which are too big for me. I need to find something fits decently.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

So, after consulting with MonkeyChat experts and our resident expert on anything and everything, sellouts; I decided that a size up on Vapors would be my best bet.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
I'm about to buy My First Pants™ as well and have a feeling I'm in the same boat, Hock. I'm at a weird between-pant-sizes thing after dropping a bunch of weight a couple years back. drat these birthing hips! :v:

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Duke Chin posted:

I'm about to buy My First Pants™ as well and have a feeling I'm in the same boat, Hock. I'm at a weird between-pant-sizes thing after dropping a bunch of weight a couple years back. drat these birthing hips! :v:

You could always just buy the Tackla women's pants.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Pinky Artichoke posted:

You could always just buy the Tackla women's pants.
Only if they come in a nice, steely blue to bring out my eyes. I'm actually a dude.... making fun of my butt :v:

Speaking of eyes: totally found a helmet I can squeeze my glasses under fairly comfortably. I actually had more of a problem getting the J-clips set and the cage fitting over my big dumb jaw more than the aforementioned glasses-issue, actually. I thought getting my spectacles under there was going to be more of a problem. Although I've fast learned that the little chin cup with a beard is... slightly annoying. Not the worst thing in the world, though. All that's left is pants and shoulders and I'm ready for scrub-camp next month. :toot:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 21, 2015

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Duke Chin posted:

Only if they come in a nice, steely blue to bring out my eyes. I'm actually a dude.... making fun of my butt :v:

I know you're a guy, but the pants really are cut well for anyone with a waist:hip ratio < 0.9

Pinky Artichoke fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Mar 21, 2015

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

I hate pants. I'm at a size for most companies where I am between the L and XL. Large is too snug while the XL is too huge. My current pants are Rebook, which are too big for me. I need to find something fits decently.

Lose some weight, fatty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But food tastes so good. :qq: