Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Harrow posted:

Cool, then it definitely sounds like a good time to buy. I'll jump on it closer to the release date.

I might have to hop over to the PC parts thread for some advice, too. My PC's a few years old now and I'm wondering how to identify where the real performance bottlenecks are. Like, I'm not sure how to tell how much effect a new video card would have given the processor I'm working with.

The guys in the Part Picking thread were really helpful when I was asking questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
The MSI 970 is a very nice-looking card that I've had zero issues with and managed a pretty good overclock out of with very little effort.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Here is everything that German guy said summed up and translated on Neogaf: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1014355

Active beard growing! :getin:

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
I like my Geralt with stubble, not a beard, so I visit the barber in Oxenfurt every few in-game days for a shave. It's pretty great.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

neonbregna posted:

What is the goon approved card for getting free witches?

On that note, can the game run on a GTX 750Ti?

That's what pretty much everyone around here recommends for the budget conscious new computer.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 20, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I like my Geralt with stubble, not a beard, so I visit the barber in Oxenfurt every few in-game days for a shave. It's pretty great.

That is petty neat. Theres not GTA type crap with courriers running up to you with letters from your cousin or anything though, is there?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wonder what the Witcher equivalent of going bowling is

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Active beard growing! :getin:

Goty right here. Pillars of Eternity preorder cancelled.

And Oxenfurt is another major city, nice.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
If Oxenfurt is in, does this mean Shani is going to be in the game?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Lareine posted:

If Oxenfurt is in, does this mean Shani is going to be in the game?

It's already been confirmed (so I can talk about it) that she's not in the base game but might make DLC.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Are the DLC's just $3.95 "Here is a new woman with completely unique animations for an all new sex scene?"

Because I would hope the game offers a semen pass then so I can grab them all on the cheap.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Are the DLC's just $3.95 "Here is a new woman with completely unique animations for an all new sex scene?"

Because I would hope the game offers a semen pass then so I can grab them all on the cheap.

Pretty sure CD Projekt announced that all Witcher 3 DLC would be free because they're the loving best.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
We've said we're not charging for most of the DLC, so like, we have quests and perks and costumes and stuff, and all that will be free. Major expansions, if we have them, will be for purchase. I don't think there's a "season pass" thing, but I could be wrong, marketing is a mystery to me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I know you posted all you wrote in order to write that pun, and by god, man, it was great.

COOKIEMONSTER
Oct 31, 2006
As an affluent straight white male I know quite a bit second hand what it's like to be incredibly poor and oppressed.
So disappointing that Toussaint isn't in. It's like the most non-witcher place in the witcher series, which makes it hilarious when Geralt goes there. Would have been a nice change of pace as a borderline cartoony backdrop of knights who are overly obsessed with honor and ridiculous gimmicks. Plus Fringilla Vigo was one of my favorite characters. I mean they could easily have her somewhere else, but I assumed she would be hiding in Toussaint since the lodge has been found out.

Also, no insanity mode? : (

Also, also "Controller feels superior to keyboard+mouse" makes me nervous. It could just be a personal opinion thing but I've never heard of any game where the controller was better than the mouse and keyboard except in extreme cases of consolitis...

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
It's definitely a personal preference, but that's not a bad thing. Beyond that, it's just one journalist's opinion so far. KBM might feel better to you.

Another thing I like out of the article (as nitpicky as it is) - improved doors! The attention to detail is good.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Once you get used to a controller it's basically superior for everything except PC shooters (because they are designed for kbm)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Xander77 posted:

On that note, can the game run on a GTX 750Ti?

That's what pretty much everyone around here recommends for the budget conscious new computer.

That's under the min spec, mayybe skirting its line if you squint a little. The 750ti is a nice card for 120€, but it's what you use in a family PC to play Civilization V.
A GTX 960 is the lowest you should go for hard stuff.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sauer kraut posted:

That's under the min spec, mayybe skirting its line if you squint a little. The 750ti is a nice card for 120€, but it's what you use in a family PC to play Civilization V.

It also depends on what resolution and quality you'll want to run it on. For instance, I run games at 1680x1050, max. And Shadows are loving dumb and never look good for their cost, so usually turn those down to low or medium.

edit: and if anyone's thinking about buying a 900 class geforce, the 970 is clearly the best performance for the money.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 21, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

I don't know if you're allowed to answer this, but just how large is the gameworld supposed to be, geographically speaking? Obviously with Novigrad and Oxenfurt present at least the southern border of Redania is in the game. Are we seeing entire countries, or is it going to play around the borders sort of how the Pontar Valley worked in Witcher 2?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sauer kraut posted:

The min is gtx 660, what are you on about?
960 is crazy overkill if he just wants 1920x1080.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The min is gtx 660, what are you on about?
960 is crazy overkill if he just wants 1920x1080.

You must be confused about Nvidia models which is understandable, a 660 is more powerful than a 750ti.

The last sentence is just wrong. 960 is a budget card tailored to service 1080p 'good enough for average gamers' while cutting every corner possible.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

quote:

Switching between controller and mouse (for menu's) is easy and fluid

This makes me rather happy.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sauer kraut posted:

You must be confused about Nvidia models which is understandable, a 660 is more powerful than a 750ti.

The last sentence is just wrong. 960 is a budget card tailored to service 1080p 'good enough for average gamers' while cutting every corner possible.

Gosh loving darn it, so I am.

Carry on then.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Once you get used to a controller it's basically superior for everything except PC shooters (because they are designed for kbm)

While I do agree with the sentiment for the most part (there are other genres specifically designed for m/k, like RTS games or city builders), it's still nice to not have a Dark Souls situation where m/k is functionally unusable for people who aren't masochistic.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

sauer kraut posted:

Jesus gently caress. I assumed the exact same thing.

(Seriously, why is that a thing? Does it really help you sell more poo poo if your customers have no idea how two graphic cards compare at a glance?)

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
You always get customers who go "it has bigger number in the front, therefore it has to be more powerful" and I imagine likewise for AMD naming schema. Rest are varying degrees of analysts who compare cost/power for optimal card.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Manatee Cannon posted:

While I do agree with the sentiment for the most part (there are other genres specifically designed for m/k, like RTS games or city builders), it's still nice to not have a Dark Souls situation where m/k is functionally unusable for people who aren't masochistic.

KBM controls are totally functional out of the box.

In answer to the question about world size, it's really huge, but I don't like to compare it to real world size. Ultimately it's not the size, it's how you use it. That's a cliche but it's also true. It's less about pure real estate than about density of encounters, frequency of "cool stuff", exploration methods, etc. It's all a lot more complicated than just, "how many square miles". With all that said, it's huge and there's tons to do (and it's fun stuff and not garbage).

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 21, 2015

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Jesus gently caress. I assumed the exact same thing.

(Seriously, why is that a thing? Does it really help you sell more poo poo if your customers have no idea how two graphic cards compare at a glance?)
Numbering works like this:
First digit - chip used
Second Digit - relative power
Third digit - a 0 here means this is a graphic card from the last 5 years or so(older ones had 00 on the end instead)

So:
The second digit is the most important one:
x20: this is barely a graphics card, use this for your office box if your monitor's plug doesn't fit into your motherboard
x30: about the same
x40: budget card aimed mostly at people who use it for light gaming only
x50: same as above
x60: general purpose good price/performance card, good for gaming on a moderate budget but will not run everything maxed out
x70: gaming card, will run most stuff in the year it comes out in maxed out unless you do something extreme like 4k resolution
x80: high end card, used to be this was the gaming card in generations past but now it's too expensive for that, use a x70 instead unless you have a 4k screen or something like that
Titan: Nvidia's cheap gateway drug into their Quatro line for rendering workstation cards, don't buy this for gaming.

Ti versions of the cards will usually be slightly weaker than the next "tier" of cards but at a better price/performance ratio.

With each new generation, everything shifts up half a rank or so a (x+1)50 will fall between a x50 and an x60 like in your case.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

I said it before, not being able to accurately control the camera is the worst thing in any game where the camera is actually movable.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

COOKIEMONSTER posted:

Also, also "Controller feels superior to keyboard+mouse" makes me nervous. It could just be a personal opinion thing but I've never heard of any game where the controller was better than the mouse and keyboard except in extreme cases of consolitis...

If it's like TW2 was, both are perfectly functional for the game and each has its upsides and downsides, so it's down to personal preference.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

GrossMurpel posted:

I said it before, not being able to accurately control the camera is the worst thing in any game where the camera is actually movable.

You can accurately control the camera with a stick, it just takes practice. I used to feel the same way you do now, and yes, camera accuracy and pointer precision are better with KBM, but camera accuracy and pointer precision aren't always the most important things (in this game they aren't, for example).

EDIT: Obviously it's all personal preference, and our KBM controls don't suck

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Mar 21, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah, the big thing you have to keep in mind is the difference between control and precision. In a shooter precision is the most important thing because you need to be able to accurately move the camera so the center of the screen is aligned with your target. In a third person melee oriented game, that is not the case. You have more than enough control over the camera to keep it where it needs to be and the m/k has no fundamental advantage over it, leaving it down to a matter of preference.

Roshnak
Jul 22, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, the big thing you have to keep in mind is the difference between control and precision. In a shooter precision is the most important thing because you need to be able to accurately move the camera so the center of the screen is aligned with your target. In a third person melee oriented game, that is not the case. You have more than enough control over the camera to keep it where it needs to be and the m/k has no fundamental advantage over it, leaving it down to a matter of preference.

Mount and Blade, aka the best melee combat in a video game, requires a mouse and keyboard to play.

Edit: Either way I'm sure TW3's mouse and keyboard controls will be fine.

Roshnak fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Mar 22, 2015

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

That's...uhh...quite the departure from previous maps of the continent. :stare:

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Huh. This is the first thing I've seen that I actually dislike. Looks like a map from Super Mario World.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's also bizarrely irreconcilable with the two maps CDP has done in the past:

I mean, I can see that being an "artistic rendition", and it's also quite unreasonable to expect the entirety of the Northern Kingdoms to be in the actual game, but playing fast and loose with established geography like that is a pause for concern.

Like, I keep trying to wrap my head around it as some extremely lovely map projection but nah, it's just a straight up hack job on the continent.

Further snooping uncovers that large parts of the previous post are fast-travel only areas (Vizima, Kaer Morhen). No clue why they felt the need to do a weird-rear end map to imply they were part of the open world. :shrug:

Rime fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 24, 2015

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I dont really see whats different between the maps? It looks like that new one is just Redania and nothing else...

Edit: Nevermind, I guess they cut out some cities and stuff in Redania.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I like it. it's a pretty highly stylized look and I think it looks neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Where did that map come from? Leak?

• Locked thread