Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gounads posted:

Oh look... more "security researchers" trying to make a buck...

I get at least one of these a month, and it's always bullshit.

"You have been reported to the authorities for unauthorized pen testing our website".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gounads posted:

Oh look... more "security researchers" trying to make a buck...

I get at least one of these a month, and it's always bullshit.

Yeah, at my last position I would get these forwarded to my team and the rule of thumb is if they ask for or mention money or "trade in kind" (like hook me up with a license), they're usually bullshit. The legit "I'm a researcher and wanted to reach out" usually have specifics like

quote:

To whomever,
I use your website for support/manage my account/whatever and I also happen to be in Info Sec. I managed to trigger an MS-SQL error and it dumped on my browser. You may want to have someone check that your pages are doing input validation specifically on http://yourshittyserver.com/xxxx.htm. You may also want to have your DBA look into converting your queries into stored procedures. I don't really have additional information, because I didn't poke around much (I don't want to go to jail, lol). This should give you a good place to start, though.

If you need more information, please don't hesitate to send me an email.

Please find screenshots attached.

Hi-ho-Silver,
White hat hacker.

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE

go3 posted:

yes but people can be notoriously frugal and stupid so you end up having precisely zero spares for vital equipment but LETS GET EVERYONE THE LATEST IPHONES

Admit it, you work at the same company as I do :v: The moment it management gave the OK to order the iphone 6 it started raining requests for them...

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

m.hache posted:

"You have been reported to the authorities for unauthorized pen testing our website".
This is funny because that would be my reaction. I don't work in security so maybe this is acceptable behavior.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

stuxracer posted:

This is funny because that would be my reaction. I don't work in security so maybe this is acceptable behavior.

A few months ago I was messing around with the local newspapers site and I noticed that their paywall was just simple CSS. Since you can modify CSS ad hoc using Google Chrome all you had to do was comment out 2 <div> tags and you could read the whole article. (It was just an overlay that faded out the back and asked you to purchase).

I drafted up a small write up on it and sent it off to their IT department. They got back to me saying they had no idea you could do this and thanked me for my report.

6 months later it's still not fixed. I guess they pay a third party for this paywall fix. You figure a simple redirect would be better than a CSS overlay.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I do that with a local news site too. Their solution is to just change the content div to have a limited height and set overflow to hidden, then add a "please give us moneh" div below.

So you just hide the begging div and strip the height attribute from the content div.

edit: Now I got curious and dug a bit deeper in their code and realized all the paywall code is imported from a single dedicated script file, so I just blocked that file instead. :v:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 20, 2015

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

loving hackers, all of you.

My local news site did that too, but they eventually fixed it. I only knew about it for a week or so.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cenodoxus posted:

And then there's the guy that hits the McDonalds drive-thru on the way in and grabs a bunch of Egg McMuffins that get cold because he gets in an hour before everybody else and the thermal half-life on any McDonalds menu item is generally 2 minutes after it leaves the cooktop.
There was a guy who would bring a bag of McDonald's breakfast burritos into an 8:00am meeting, then go around offering the leftover cold chunks of burrito to people at 10:00am when the meeting went out.

Reminds me of my stepdad who buys $1 sandwiches and just leaves them on the counter all day. "If you're hungry there's some McDonald's on the table"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Damnit. Now I want to go get some lovely breakfast sandwiches (for myself) from some fast food place.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

"share-point"

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Damnit. Now I want to go get some lovely breakfast sandwiches (for myself) from some fast food place.

same. Also do not read burger thread at work.

Polio Vax Scene fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 20, 2015

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Crowley posted:

Technical department just had a brain fart and decided they need dual 32" 2.5K monitors.

On the plus side Dell has some pretty drat decent monitors for a nice price, and the IT dept. get that setup too. :toot:

If this pisses you off then you have no soul. :colbert:

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

flosofl posted:

Yeah, at my last position I would get these forwarded to my team and the rule of thumb is if they ask for or mention money or "trade in kind" (like hook me up with a license), they're usually bullshit. The legit "I'm a researcher and wanted to reach out" usually have specifics like

I ignored that part in my reply and got this back...

quote:

Hi Marc,

I will soon make Vulnerability report for you.

But do you appreciate Security Researchers for their findings or not?

Looking forward for your reply.

Best Regards,

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

go3 posted:

yes but people can be notoriously frugal and stupid so you end up having precisely zero spares for vital equipment but LETS GET EVERYONE THE LATEST IPHONES

WOOOOOO IPHONE 6 WILL SOLVE ALL OUR PROBLEMS!
what do you mean you need shelving units, everything is fine in boxes

Also it sucks being the bad guy; Our customer service girl notorious for throwing everyone under the bus kicked up a fuss because an advice agent hadn't responded to a customer E-mail, because agent said she never received one. Cue investigation into agents inbox where I had to recover deleted items and check exchange logs which proved the message was in fact successfully delivered, but no idea why it would have been hard deleted (Agent isn't retarded and would be extremely counter-intuitive to ignore messages).

Sometimes it ain't good being right :eng99:

moosepoop
Mar 9, 2007

GET SWOLE
Today I had to pick the lock to a server to be able to install a drac. This among a shitload of other things that made yet another simple change take 3h made me dislike indian it guys a little bit more.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That must be why my local hacker club was really insistent on having lockpicking physical security workshops. :v:

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

HardDisk posted:

That must be why my local hacker club was really insistent on having lockpicking physical security workshops. :v:

If you haven't had to climb through a drop-ceiling to get into a server room that's locked with a key that can't get there before your maintenance window closes, you haven't been in this industry long enough :colbert:

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Potato Salad posted:

Me: "I'm trying to set up and tune a linux host for Oracle 12c. My server is on the hardware compatibility list for RHEL7 and Oracle Linux 7. I'm assuming we should we go with Oracle Linux 7?"

Linux SME: "No. RHEL7."

Me: "Why?"

Linux SME: "Oracle can't support their own database. Why would you want their OS?"

I think someone in here posted something to the same effect a few weeks back.

I also commented before on this. At least when customer's choose to use the RHEL kernel instead of the Unbreakable Oracle Kernel, it's easier to use.

moosepoop posted:

Yesterday should have been a veeerrry easy change. It was not. I blame "stupid big computer company" and India.

Change: Replace one faulty dimm on server.

1. The dimm was delivered to the wrong company in the wrong building = 1h of frantic searching for it.
2. Replaced faulty with new dimm. Turns out it is a refurbished dimm and it did not work at all = new exiting errors.
3. Rolled back with old dimm, server booted up fine.
4. Crazy Indian change management guy asks me to remove the old dimm completely and did not listen to my protests.
5. Server would not even reach post just tell me that a fatal system error has occured.
6. I say gently caress this put old dimm back and it boots up fine.
7. CM indian guy asks me again to remove the faulty dimm.
8. I say no, gently caress no. And book a new change for another time with a new dimm, hopefully not a refurb one...

This should have been a very fast change. I was home 22:00 yesterday. :argh: Fortunately my gf had a cold beer waiting for me when I got home.

Man, I hope I'm not part of that "dumb computer company" :( But seriously, wow.

(But I do want to make a correction that most people misunderstand: refurbished does not mean used. It just means it's not in it's original packaging. You can order a bunch of drives, take them out of the packaging so you only have the drive on the shelf and presto: that drive now has to be officially considered "refurbished". And yes it can potentially be used and have tested as OK at some point.)
:goonsay:

Lightning Jim fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 20, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

flosofl posted:

We keep a pool of GBICs after we got burned BAD with some HP GBICs. They'd work fine and then suddenly fry themselves. Never did find a root cause other than HP engineering state the module looked like it suffered static discharge. But they did trace them back the manufacturer that made that particular lot of GBICs (almost everyone specs that poo poo out to the lowest bidder for manufacture, so month A comes this factory, month B from another). HP had to swoop in and replace almost every single one they supplied us with during rollout. It was several thousand of them. Thank god we had enough redundancy built in with GigE trunks so it was a transparent failure from the network's perspective.

Of course after they did that, we started to slowly phase them out and replace with Juniper switches. So far not one Juniper GBIC has needed service or replacement. But I know our Field Service group keeps a few hundred on hand in the original packaging on a couple pallets somewhere.

We once were shipped a box of GBICs for our switches that had a mix of singlemode and multimode GBICs in there. There are no identifying marks on them unless you know the model number. We thankfully didn't have that many sites where they needed fiber so this only bit us in the rear end a few times until we found out what was going on.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

We once were shipped a box of GBICs for our switches that had a mix of singlemode and multimode GBICs in there. There are no identifying marks on them unless you know the model number. We thankfully didn't have that many sites where they needed fiber so this only bit us in the rear end a few times until we found out what was going on.

I'm sorry, and I'm only doing this because it didn't happen to me but, HAHAHAHAHA. For some reason I'm picturing some techs mounting confusion, "well, now this one worked..." and then a scream from the staging area "gently caress YOU! WHY WON'T YOU WORK!"

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If you haven't had to climb through a drop-ceiling to get into a server room that's locked with a key that can't get there before your maintenance window closes, you haven't been in this industry long enough :colbert:

Mission Impossible bros! :hfive:

(of course I was much younger and svelter when I did that)

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

I just discovered the online checkout page of a medium sized online store doesn't disable autocomplete on neither the credit card number nor security code fields. How do you miss doing that?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ika posted:

I just discovered the online checkout page of a medium sized online store doesn't disable autocomplete on neither the credit card number nor security code fields. How do you miss doing that?

Simple you don't allow it at first then have customer complaints about having to type a few numbers. Then management tells you to enable it for those fields.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

slartibartfast posted:

Oh god, gently caress MUMPS. gently caress it harder than printers. I loving hate MUMPS. gently caress it right into 3rd normal form. t:mad:

No way around it. MUMPS is pretty frustrating to deal with.

slartibartfast posted:

This is all expected. The company reviews on GlassDoor.com are chock full o' bitchin' about the work/life balance. I wonder how much of it is fresh-out-of-college kids who haven't learned that balance the hard way yet, and how much of that is corporate-driven culture. I can avoid the former; the latter would keep me away.

How challenging it is to maintain work/life balance is pretty dependent on what role you're in. The people with lots of travel have a pretty rough time of maintaining balance. I wouldn't say there is a lot of corporate culture trying to enforce long hours. They have chosen over time things like not having the cafeterias server dinner (though left overs are available in a cooler if you're working late), they've chosen not to invest in building a gym or anything like that. We have showers on campus, but that's more for people biking in. We have dry cleaning pick up, onsite oil changes and you can have packages delivered to the office no problems but this is less "work 16 hours a day!" and more "don't need to drive off campus to take care of small routine things"

slartibartfast posted:

Something higher than entry level with the data integration people. Probably couldn't move until fall, so I'll likely hold off applying just yet, but it's the most intriguing thing I've seen recently that's 1) in the right location for me 2) with good pay and 3) has big challenges.

Apply now. It depends on the role and team but it's pretty common for people to accept their offer and then start months down the road.

slartibartfast posted:

That's an upside! Bring on the clear night skies.

That was my reaction. I moved to a town with 7000 people in it (and I still occasionally check to see if any country homes are up for rent). One definite downside to the area is property prices.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Varkk posted:

Simple you don't allow it at first then have customer complaints about having to type a few numbers. Then management tells you to enable it for those fields.

They even have a "Remember my payment info" option for those customers.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

flosofl posted:

I'm sorry, and I'm only doing this because it didn't happen to me but, HAHAHAHAHA. For some reason I'm picturing some techs mounting confusion, "well, now this one worked..." and then a scream from the staging area "gently caress YOU! WHY WON'T YOU WORK!"

Mission Impossible bros! :hfive:

(of course I was much younger and svelter when I did that)

Staging area? Oh no, we discovered this where it matters, on the road. I was thankfully only had to drive 4 hours, but had to stay the night since we can't swap equipment out during business hours. It wasn't all bad, got a free meal out of it, and a nice relaxing drive while listening to podcasts.

It still makes you question your abilities as a IT person when something as simple as plugging in fiber goes wrong.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

It still makes you question your abilities as a IT person when something as simple as plugging in fiber goes wrong.

Yeah are FSTs were NOT happy. Every time one failed, the techs had to fill out form as part of the RCA. They generated a couple hundred in about a month until HP (who had been in twice weekly meetings with us to figure it out) finally opened a call with, "Uh... we think we know what's happening..."

This is apocryphal, but rumor has it after the field techs were informed that it was a manufacturing defect, and while HP was replacing all the GBICs on their dime, the Field Service people still had to visit every location and replace each and every one, one of them was silent for a moment and then said in a very quiet voice, "I want to murder them so bad right now".

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Mar 23, 2015

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Tomorrow there will be a lunch to celebrate the successful launch of the latest version of our Analytics Process.

The monthly process took over 50 days to complete, had over 150 job failures and still has 8 unresolved incidents due to the data being poo poo.

"Successful".

The worst part isn't the failure. It is that we are all going to pretend it wasn't a failure. We'll make the same mistakes in the next release and be shocked that the system didn't magically fix itself.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

flosofl posted:

Yeah are FSTs were NOT happy. Every time one failed, the techs had to fill out form as part of the RCA. They generated a couple hundred in about a month until HP (who had been in twice weekly meetings with us to figure it out) finally opened a call with, "Uh... we think we know what's happening..."

This is apocryphal, but rumor has it after the field techs were informed that it was a manufacturing defect, and while HP was replacing all the GBICs on their dime, the Field Service people still had to visit every location and replace each and every one, one of them was silent for a moment and then said in a very quiet voice, "I want to murder them so bad right now".

I would too. That's one thing I'm not going to miss at all from this job (out of several). Having to spend the night in little towns in the middle of nowhere 1-3 hours away from home. And it's not like you can ever have a relaxed evening in a nice hotel or something, either. The nicest hotel I've stayed in was a Holiday Inn Express, and you can't really be relaxed because you have to work until midnight at least and then get up to start work again before 8 in the morning.

At least tonight's after-hours call was close enough to home that I could drive back, rather than spending the night.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
When you hire someone, and you need to get them set up in ShoreTel, copying a user is a good way to retain groups. However, you should take the time to edit their loving alternate telephone numbers, so that when someone tries to use ShoreTel Communicator to look up their personal number for an on-call escalation, that person doesn't waste time and wake the wrong loving person up at midnight. The absolute best part is when the wrong person who gets called doesn't loving work here anymore.

There's also a directory on our internal documentation pile, but nobody updates that when people leave or when new people get hired, so what good is it to refer to that document? Yes, there's going to be ~a new one~ and it's going to be ~on the SharePoint~ and that's great if it can integrate with AD, that's absolutely wonderful. Go nuts. But allowing existing documentation to rot because ~the future is just around the corner~ is complete loving horseshit.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

anthonypants posted:

The absolute best part is when the wrong person who gets called doesn't loving work here anymore.

Is this where the person who got called starts loving with the user, or just gives them an earful because being woken up at midnight is a great way to ruin someone's day? :D

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
The boss spent some time in Redmond with MS and came back with a Surface loaded with Windows 10. Despite me telling him its in an unfinished, prerelease state I'm still expected to keep everything working 100%, including VPN access. Its pretty painful, especially since this pulls me away from more pressing things, like fixing the radius configuration that someone detonated on the NPS. You know, the one I insisted needed multiple levels of failover but management elected to cheap out on, creating a single point of failure.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

LordVorbis posted:

Is this where the person who got called starts loving with the user, or just gives them an earful because being woken up at midnight is a great way to ruin someone's day? :D
The guy who got called is extremely chill and wouldn't do either of those things, which makes it even worse.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

Numbskull ran a huge query and somehow put commas in the thousandsths place of the customer_id. Why the hell would you not use an integer here in the first place?

Do you work for JDA?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

anthonypants posted:

The guy who got called is extremely chill and wouldn't do either of those things, which makes it even worse.

D'oh!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

slartibartfast posted:

Anybody here ever work for EPIC, the company that makes the health records software? I've heard sysadmins/helpdesk people bitching about their software in these threads, but that can be chalked up to a lot of different things. EPIC's got openings for my specialty, they pay on the high side of average, and I like WI beer, so I'm thinking about it.

Just curious if it's paradise with hookers and blow, just meh, or a complete clusterfuck.

Re: EMR chat.

We were to get to switch to EPOC when we got acquired. People were talking like it was a savior because ours sucks , but everything fell through.

I'm convinced that EMR is something everyone is unhappy with in their own unique way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

HFX posted:

Do you work for JDA?

no idea what that even is

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

flosofl posted:

Field Service people still had to visit every location and replace each and every one, one of them was silent for a moment and then said in a very quiet voice, "I want to murder them so bad right now".

That's how I felt after I installed 15 of 30 access points in the drop ceiling (alone), then realized that they only gave me 60 antennas, and the network admin told me "Oh just take them off the 5 GHz ports". Not that we used that frequency for our portable IP phones or anything, nope, not a big deal if maintenance can't call in some parts of the building.

This is the same guy who didn't believe in hardware lifecycles, and we had an 8 year old switch that was first in the stack for the wing that kept crashing hard taking down half the building. It would require a manual power cycle to come back to life. His solution was to give the teacher in that room a key to the data closet and ask them to unplug/plug it back in whenever he called them.

I could write a novel about the loving stupidity at that place...

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Directory cleanup? Version control? What are these things you speak of

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Wizard of the Deep posted:

Considering that I started working 5 years ago I'm actually not in the industry long enough. I'm in software development, though.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

There's a reason I'm not the only one in my team to have lock picks in my toolkit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Directory cleanup? Version control? What are these things you speak of

Please tell me this is in production and someone can access "http://server/index - backup.php"