Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It was a more honourable time back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'll go for superhuman charisma so I can get some other poor bastards to do the soldiering for me.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
So I was reading through the WWI day by day updates leading up to Gallipoli, and I have a question. Gallipoli looms large in the English-speaking world as almost a founding myth for ANZAC forces, but what place does Gallipoli hold in Turkish culture? How is it generally viewed in Turkey today?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Tomn posted:

So I was reading through the WWI day by day updates leading up to Gallipoli, and I have a question. Gallipoli looms large in the English-speaking world as almost a founding myth for ANZAC forces, but what place does Gallipoli hold in Turkish culture? How is it generally viewed in Turkey today?

My local cinema has a new blockbuster movie of Turkey bravely fighting back the invaders every few months it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q3VZgYkIkQ (note the dastardly British pilot shooting a nurse in the back from his plane)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RM5JeloVjEM

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Eej posted:

What about super regeneration so you can do all of the above and also never die on the field of battle.

I, too, dream of becoming a Highlander someday.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

CeeJee posted:

My local cinema has a new blockbuster movie of Turkey bravely fighting back the invaders every few months it seems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q3VZgYkIkQ (note the dastardly British pilot shooting a nurse in the back from his plane)

OMG. This will never show on Australian TV. Enemy at the Gates, only the Digger is the bad guy. Tony Abbott would be hilerious to listen to, and John Howard would probably drop dead in shock.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 22, 2015

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I posted a good one a while back full of suspiciously turkish looking British officers with weird accents and turks with m1 rifles. Good poo poo.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Frostwerks posted:

Blood Meridian was a good book, agreed.

Make gunpowder from your own piss, say poo poo like "anything that exists without my knowledge exists without my consent," etc.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I, too, dream of becoming a Highlander someday.

What sword would you use? Don't tease us with this now.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Trin Tragula posted:

100 Years Ago

In France, some of the Friendly Feldwebel's comrades do their bit to reinforce the German army's reputation for oafishness. Winston Churchill gets to report yesterday's action at the Dardanelles to the War Council, lucky him. Does it matter if the story about the Ottoman forts running out of ammo is true or not? The Telegraph still doesn't seem to have published a casualty list from Neuve Chapelle, and the various British industrial disputes continue.

https://youtu.be/ujpnXoMeXmY?t=1m13s

These Dardanelles posts have been really good.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

The official and long-overdue end of the First Battle of Champagne, something we can safely write off as a complete failure. GQG's enthusiasm for the offensive continues unabated, however. The Entente and Italy are haggling over the exact territorial promises to be made, and one of the Friendly Feldwebel's superiors takes a dim view of some REMFs attempting to feather their already-comfortable nests.

Rincewind posted:

These Dardanelles posts have been really good.

Well, stick around! It's going to get, um, more. I don't think that either "better" or "worse" are appropriate words to use.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

CeeJee posted:

This is actually really interesting - I don't remember any major Western WW1 media portrayal that played up the heroism of WW1 much. It's usually more to do with the utter futility of it all, senseless waste of human life, etc. etc.

So how is WWI as a whole viewed in Turkey, then? Gallipoli could be seen as a shining moment of heroism, but given that the actual war ended in the defeat and partitioning of the Ottoman Empire, what's the overall view on it?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Tomn posted:

This is actually really interesting - I don't remember any major Western WW1 media portrayal that played up the heroism of WW1 much. It's usually more to do with the utter futility of it all, senseless waste of human life, etc. etc.

So how is WWI as a whole viewed in Turkey, then? Gallipoli could be seen as a shining moment of heroism, but given that the actual war ended in the defeat and partitioning of the Ottoman Empire, what's the overall view on it?

Gallipoli is important because Mustafa Kemal Bey "Father of the Turks" led the defenses there. They may have lost all the Arab dominions of the old Ottoman Empire but because the defenses held in Gallipoli, no civilians inside contemporary Turkey had to suffer of the war. except for Armenians

There's also the chance that had Turkey completely fallen, eastern Anatolia would have gone to Russia and Greece would have grabbed the Greek parts of Asia Minor. Which they tried anyway.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

my dad posted:

A longbow.

This.

There's a reason why the words "Troll Adept with a longbow" tend to cause Shadowrun players to freak out.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Trin Tragula posted:

Well, stick around! It's going to get, um, more. I don't think that either "better" or "worse" are appropriate words to use.

So in other words, the situation will continue to deteriorate. :v:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Trin Tragula posted:

"It will significantly advance laterally."

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Rincewind posted:

So in other words, the situation will continue to deteriorate. :v:

It will maintain a similar level of suck but with a greatly increased number of people, I'm predicting.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Thus far, the only blokes to have been unduly inconvenienced by the clowncar goings-on at the top have been the civvies on the trawlers and some of the more unfortunate matelots. That will soon change.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Speaking of obscure war dramatizations:

When I was a kid I spent a decent chunk of my childhood living in early 90's Macedonia. I distinctly remember a docudrama kind of program, possibly made by the state, which played on TV. I have the feeling it was about one of the yugoslav predecessor-states' losing struggles against germany during ww2 and something tells me it was serbian-made? Maybe? All I remember is a bunch of potbellied dudes in extremely traditional garb setting up in a field and talking about the germans coming, then at the end a bunch of guys in field gray and a couple of tenuously nazi-looking tanks roll up and kill everyone in a heroic defeat. Every single episode ended this way and had roughly the same structure; the entire intro to the show was a montage of heroic patriots getting shot.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

JcDent posted:

Of course, getting wounded is still in.

Super strength, carry a small brick shed around for protection.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Smart. Worked for the 3 little pigs.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Speaking of obscure war dramatizations:

When I was a kid I spent a decent chunk of my childhood living in early 90's Macedonia. I distinctly remember a docudrama kind of program, possibly made by the state, which played on TV. I have the feeling it was about one of the yugoslav predecessor-states' losing struggles against germany during ww2 and something tells me it was serbian-made? Maybe? All I remember is a bunch of potbellied dudes in extremely traditional garb setting up in a field and talking about the germans coming, then at the end a bunch of guys in field gray and a couple of tenuously nazi-looking tanks roll up and kill everyone in a heroic defeat. Every single episode ended this way and had roughly the same structure; the entire intro to the show was a montage of heroic patriots getting shot.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
Otpisani ("The Written Off") is my best guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FpsN_V8ixM
:tito:
edit: This intro is from the "classic" series, while what you're talking about is one of the 90s era series I'm guessing

edit2: Found the episode you were describing! :nws:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQug1tOQD8s:nws: (Bridge action is at the 40 minute mark or so) Looks like the "German tanks" are M36s? (47 minute mark)

AceRimmer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 20, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
You should prolly :nws: the second video, since Yugoslav cinema wasn't exactly shy about nudity.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Ask us about military history: Yugoslav cinema wasn't exactly shy about nudity.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SeanBeansShako posted:

What sword would you use? Don't tease us with this now.

Scottish Broadsword, like Mad Jack Churchill.

Also, TIL Japan had 5 different types of chemical bombs they could deploy during WW2.

The projectiles used had a coloured band near the middle of the shell for identification and were as follows:

Yellow - Blister
Blue - Choke
Brown - Blood and Nerve
Red - Vomit
Green - Tear

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Did the allies use battlefield chemical weapons in WWII?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
The Russians did

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Comstar posted:

OMG. This will never show on Australian TV. Enemy at the Gates, only the Digger [b]is the bad guy[/i]. Tony Abbott would be hilerious to listen to, and John Howard would probably drop dead in shock.

Did you have a Abbot moment with your bbcode?
I want to watch it with english subtitles, love the mo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

Did the allies use battlefield chemical weapons in WWII?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_warfare#World_War_II

According to wikipedia, no. They did plan to use them in retaliatory strikes if Germany decided to deploy its own chemical weapons. The Japanese used them pretty frequently it seems, especially against the Chinese.

Unless you count "the ship carrying mustard gas got bombed and released its contents" as explained by:

quote:

Accidental release
On the night of December 2, 1943, German Ju 88 bombers attacked the port of Bari in Southern Italy, sinking several American ships—among them the SS John Harvey, which was carrying mustard gas intended for use in retaliation by the Allies if German forces initiated gas warfare. The presence of the gas was highly classified, and authorities ashore had no knowledge of it, which increased the number of fatalities since physicians, who had no idea that they were dealing with the effects of mustard gas, prescribed treatment improper for those suffering from exposure and immersion.

The whole affair was kept secret at the time and for many years after the war. According to the U.S. military account, "Sixty-nine deaths were attributed in whole or in part to the mustard gas, most of them American merchant seamen"[41] out of 628 mustard gas military casualties.[42]

The large number of civilian casualties among the Italian population was not recorded. Part of the confusion and controversy derives from the fact that the German attack was highly destructive and lethal in itself, also apart from the accidental additional effects of the gas (the attack was nicknamed "The Little Pearl Harbor"), and attribution of the causes of death between the gas and other causes is far from easy.[43][44] Rick Atkinson, in his book The Day of Battle, describes the intelligence that prompted Allied leaders to deploy mustard gas to Italy. This included Italian intelligence that Adolf Hitler had threatened to use gas against Italy if the state changed sides, and prisoner of war interrogations suggesting that preparations were being made to use a "new, egregiously potent gas" if the war turned decisively against Germany. Atkinson concludes, "No commander in 1943 could be cavalier about a manifest threat by Germany to use gas."

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_warfare#World_War_II

According to wikipedia, no. They did plan to use them in retaliatory strikes if Germany decided to deploy its own chemical weapons. The Japanese used them pretty frequently it seems, especially against the Chinese.

Unless you count "the ship carrying mustard gas got bombed and released its contents" as explained by:

I know it's a complicated situation, but keeping your retaliatory strike a secret kinda ruins the point of having it as a deterrent.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

the JJ posted:

I know it's a complicated situation, but keeping your retaliatory strike a secret kinda ruins the point of having it as a deterrent.

It worked for Goering.

Then again, it was Goering :v:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

the JJ posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yfXgu37iyI&t=251s

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

the JJ posted:

Both sides knew that there would be retaliation if they used poison gas, but it's the actual location of that gas that was kept secret.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Foot wraps own, hth. They are actually much easier to wash than socks.

The Soviets did develop poison gas filled 14.5 mm bullets to make up for their miserly beyond armour effect, but I don't think they even passed trials and definitely didn't see combat.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Germans also tried putting tear gas in their 7.92mm Panzerbüchse rounds, which reportedly worked even worse than you would think. As the rifle did not have any fantastic penetration capabilities, the tear gas could form up outside the target to the detriment of friendly infantry trying to assault the AFV.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I can't imagine that a rifle caliber bullet could hold enough gas to do much in the open air.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Had to use these in a Czech uranium mine, and they work pretty well.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ensign Expendable posted:

I can't imagine that a rifle caliber bullet could hold enough gas to do much in the open air.

I don't know, it kind of makes sense to me. The lead spatter from shooting steel plate can end up pretty far away, and those little rifle-caliber explosive bullets can hold enough of a charge to create a pretty decent little smoke cloud. If you assume that half of the internal volume of the bullet is available for filling you could probably get a couple ml of liquid in there. God only knows how it would gently caress up the ballistics, but I doubt this is the sort of thing you're going to be issuing to your snipers anyways.

Is it going to be a great way of delivering a nerve agent to wipe out large formations and start a breakthrough? No. But as a nice little gently caress you to throw into a LMG belt every 5th or so round as an irritant and force the enemy to contend with either a minor tear gas haze or wearing a gas mask? I could see the use.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

A (very) brief introduction to General Birdwood, the ANZAC commander, who is mildly less boring than most generals. The Michelin Man and his huge...cigar are back to hawk more tyres, the Siege of Przemysl draws to an end before I can find a chance to talk about it properly, General Joffre has been invited by the Council of Ministers to an interview without coffee, and a British gunner does his bit to combat the dastardly threat posed by the villainous Hun. In this case, it's by dropping some shells on his head as he tries to enjoy his morning cup of coffee. (It's also some interesting insight into how exactly an artillery piece gets fired.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Didn't Hitler have a pretty reasonable hatred of chemical weapons after WWI too?

• Locked thread