Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I believe we have the most regressive tax structure in the US, and oddly, local liberals tend to support increasing flat taxes on vehicle registrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Well no sense lying about it. Gotta let the shame burn me.

I just spent $2200 on a 3D printer :smith:

My wife is a 3d modeler/animator and has gotten quite a few clients looking for 3d prints or file prep for shapeways. She is having a slow month so I got all hero-husband and started talking about getting one. She lit up so much that I just bought one for us. We are both still really excited but after researching print times and replication methods, the price point is soooo far off from being even hobbyist-commercial.

The take away is always "Look, only $10 of materials!" and never "$10 in materials + 18 hours of tying the one $2200 machine up." The break even point is so high, let alone making it worth it to bring in new business. Granted she's working with prototyping clients directly so she could bill the materials and print times at a premium for that type of revenue. 8 clients a year in that space could come close to break even, but it's hardly a smart business plan.

There is a 2 week lead time on it for fulfillment so I am asking nicely to cancel but I might just reverse the charge. Hero-husband was really just hasty-husband, and that lead to nervous-wife. She's afraid she'll let us down and it will be a waste of money. I was a dope to put her in that position without more up front communication.

My BFC card just got pulled.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

Honestly, the long print time doesn't seem that bad as long as you can somehow hook it up to a computer and set up an automated queue for pieces (or even just timed alarms). Think about how much of each day a sink or stove is turned off.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

xie posted:

Is there any state where "low taxes" isn't completely offset by sales tax and other various increases? NH has no sales & income tax, but WA has some of the highest sales tax in the nation. Which is regressive, so it's even worse to be poor/lower/middle class than income tax which is much more forgiving to low incomes.

NH doesn't have sales or income tax, but the property taxes are high. It ends up being effectively a flat tax model, because any landlord passes the cost down to renters.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
If the property tax is tied to property value it isn't flat. Rent a cheaper property and the amount of your rent that goes to property tax goes down.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
I meant that the state's tax income baked into the basic cost of living, rather than being based on income level or consumption. 'Flat' was a bad way to describe it.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Horking Delight posted:

Honestly, the long print time doesn't seem that bad as long as you can somehow hook it up to a computer and set up an automated queue for pieces (or even just timed alarms). Think about how much of each day a sink or stove is turned off.

Yeah, the printer itself isn't bad with money in my mind. The rushing the decision before properly weighing the dynamics of income potential vs cost was the bad decision. I'm sure it will work out either way. It could be a good revenue stream based off of her projects from the last year, there is just no guarantee. I guess it would be a tax write off in the worst case.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
It is, I think, always a flat rate. Scaling the rate would probably be a great way to increase the supply of affordable housing.

But.. Bad with money. This morning I bought a coffee, a croissant, a muffin, I didn't pack a lunch, and I drove in to work. So now I'm fat, lazy, and bad with money.

Zool fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 20, 2015

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Best with money is living in a state with low/no income and property tax right on the border of a state with no sales tax. If such a place exists.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Best with money is living in a state with low/no income and property tax right on the border of a state with no sales tax. If such a place exists.

Vancouver, WA.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

There are at least a few. Alaska has neither sales tax nor income tax, correct?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
For now... Oil income isn't going to pay the bills at $40 a barrel.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Zool posted:

But.. Bad with money. This morning I bought a coffee, a croissant, a muffin, I didn't pack a lunch, and I drove in to work. So now I'm fat, lazy, and bad with money.

I brought my usual lunch and snacks to work yesterday but forgot to pack my breakfast, so I bought a $2.00 bagel... and added lox schmear for another $2.00.

Bad with money :smith:

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Yond Cassius posted:

Vancouver, WA.

Home of the worst people. Let me pay no taxes to either state and then whine about how bad my schools, roads, and transpo are.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

BossRighteous posted:

Can't really tell how much $2200 is in your life, but don't be so hard on yourself. It's something that could provide some benefit, it has a nonzero scrap value and it could potentially satisfy some hobby needs as well. And it seems like you're able to get out of the deal, and have learned something from the whole thing.

I'd say there's been way worse with money.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Speeding tickets are bad with money :( At least it's only $170

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

Speeding tickets are bad with money :( At least it's only $170

That's nothing. Having your car in the shop for a $1000 repair and borrowing a car from a car dealership and then sliding off the road into a snowbank and causing $1000 worth of damage to the loaner car is bad with money. My car is barely worth $2000.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:
My husband got in to a low speed wreck this week that was his fault, although thankfully he wasn't ticketed. Car was totaled this morning. It was a 2014 Mazda 3 we had just purchased in July. It had just shy of 11k miles on it. :negative: Thankful for car insurance and gap insurance.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

Can't really tell how much $2200 is in your life, but don't be so hard on yourself. It's something that could provide some benefit, it has a nonzero scrap value and it could potentially satisfy some hobby needs as well. And it seems like you're able to get out of the deal, and have learned something from the whole thing.

I'd say there's been way worse with money.

Agreed, nothing wrong with investing in tools to further expand your work skills & career opportunities. It becomes bad with money when the profession is a constant excuse to buy new stuff.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

BossRighteous posted:

Well no sense lying about it. Gotta let the shame burn me.

$2200 is fine to spend on a hobby, or a potential small business. Plus you could probably firesale it for $1500, so you're only really out $700 or so. Give it a go if it's not breaking the budget. Happy wife = happy life.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Dik Hz posted:

$2200 is fine to spend on a hobby, or a potential small business. Plus you could probably firesale it for $1500, so you're only really out $700 or so. Give it a go if it's not breaking the budget. Happy wife = happy life.

$2200 on a hobby? You could buy a perfectly good 20 year old used car for that amount of money. Hand over your BFC card right this instant

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

RheaConfused posted:

My husband got in to a low speed wreck this week that was his fault, although thankfully he wasn't ticketed. Car was totaled this morning. It was a 2014 Mazda 3 we had just purchased in July. It had just shy of 11k miles on it. :negative: Thankful for car insurance and gap insurance.

I'm glad he's okay :-) You know, in AI(automotive insanity), there is a thing called the Mazda curse. Goons with Mazdas usually get their cars' smushed up. There even used to be a smilie on here for it. I drive a mazda, too :shepface:

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

$2200 on a hobby? You could buy a perfectly good 20 year old used car for that amount of money. Hand over your BFC card right this instant

Hahaha, thanks for the support everyone. I feel less dolty, I just got a big buyers remorse for a minute.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Just print and sell a bunch of nonsense!

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Just print and sell a bunch of nonsense!

I am going to make 3d letters attached to 3d sticks that you shove into 3d objects like cakes or butt holes. I am already looking up sand casting into aluminum :smugdog:

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Hand over your BFC card right this instant

If you have terrible finding it, it's made of a discarded burger king wrapper with "BFD" written on it due to a printing error. And our time is far too valuable to be arguing with the printer to make another run.

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

Taco Box posted:

I'm glad he's okay :-) You know, in AI(automotive insanity), there is a thing called the Mazda curse. Goons with Mazdas usually get their cars' smushed up. There even used to be a smilie on here for it. I drive a mazda, too :shepface:

That feeling when you buy the exact car you just bought over again... Except a newer model year and with a nicer trim package, for a lower price because your sob story induces a lot of sympathy. Good...with...money???

We'll see what happens with the insurance and if accident forgiveness really works before we decide that I guess!

We had a Speed 3 before this and loved it too. They are good little cars.

RheaConfused fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 21, 2015

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

BossRighteous posted:

I am going to make 3d letters attached to 3d sticks that you shove into 3d objects like cakes or butt holes. I am already looking up sand casting into aluminum :smugdog:

You're thinking small. Start printing 3d printers.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

RheaConfused posted:

That feeling when you buy the exact car you just bought over again... Except a newer model year and with a nicer trim package, for a lower price because your sob story induces a lot of sympathy. Good...with...money???

We'll see what happens with the insurance and if accident forgiveness really works before we decide that I guess!

We had a Speed 3 before this and loved it too. They are good little cars.

I want that speed 3's engine in my miata. Bad.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Powerlurker posted:

No, you've gotta try to retain and control the means of production.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Powerlurker posted:

blugu64 posted:

No, you've gotta try to retain and control the means of production.

The fabrikator was ugly, noisy, a fire hazard, and it smelled. Borislav got it for the kids in the neighborhood.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Taco Box posted:

A friend (also goon) of mine owns a nice Mazda. We were in a pretty bad accident due to basically freak occurrence of a light rain dripping oily water from a highway overpass that we went over and the car just completely spun out like a Mario Kart banana peel victim into a wall head first.

Both of us somehow fine.

Also randomly got read ended when he was driving me to the airport, and a friend of ours shattered his windshield when there was some ice build up that he tried to bash off (drunk).

So Mazdas might be bad with money because they're pretty horrible luck.

Or good with money because we didn't die and he still drives it?

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
This is the first I've ever heard of of a goon Mazda curse but it must be true, goddamn. I bought a 3 Speed new in 2011 and a year later it was hit by a drunk driver while it was parked on the street at 2 in the morning. Bad with money because if I hadn't paid for the "replace with new" insurance rider I suspect it would have been a write off. Instead, I have an unsellable vehicle with $12k in electrical and front end repairs. I think I've mentioned it in this thread before, actually...

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dillbag posted:

This is the first I've ever heard of of a goon Mazda curse but it must be true, goddamn. I bought a 3 Speed new in 2011 and a year later it was hit by a drunk driver while it was parked on the street at 2 in the morning. Bad with money because if I hadn't paid for the "replace with new" insurance rider I suspect it would have been a write off. Instead, I have an unsellable vehicle with $12k in electrical and front end repairs. I think I've mentioned it in this thread before, actually...
Why is that unsellable?? Clean title and quality repair shouldn't impact the sale of it. And if it did, did you get a diminished value payout?

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

SiGmA_X posted:

Why is that unsellable?? Clean title and quality repair shouldn't impact the sale of it. And if it did, did you get a diminished value payout?

There are enough samples of popular cars out there where if someone runs a title search and sees major repairs they will just go find another sample. Its not a collectible with limited supply.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
^^^ This. I should have written "unsellable at a reasonable rate" but yea, no one is going to pay market value for any used car that's been in a major accident when there are lots of the same model out there.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dillbag posted:

^^^ This. I should have written "unsellable at a reasonable rate" but yea, no one is going to pay market value for any used car that's been in a major accident when there are lots of the same model out there.
And you weren't made whole by the insurance company? WTF? Diminished value claim is 100% normal for larger accidents for new cars..

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

SiGmA_X posted:

And you weren't made whole by the insurance company? WTF? Diminished value claim is 100% normal for larger accidents for new cars..

They paid for the $12k in repairs but like I said, I suspect they would have written it off at a diminished value if it wasn't covered to replace with a new model at $25k ish.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Dillbag posted:

They paid for the $12k in repairs but like I said, I suspect they would have written it off at a diminished value if it wasn't covered to replace with a new model at $25k ish.
You should have been compensated for the DIMINISHED VALUE, SOP for new cars getting in accidents... Unless you live in a horrid state, maybe. http://www.ican2000.com/dvfaqs.html

As your car ages, the accident repairs become less of a value killer, too. Fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Dillbag posted:

Lol isn't what people in the market are willing to pay for a damaged car the definition of "market value"

• Locked thread