Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Leperflesh posted:

Provided the poo poo you want can be 100% resin, and can be supported from the top without folding or collapsing, and of course, the resin is super-pure, and the oxygen layer is perfect, and the device is sitting on a perfectly level surface, and I wonder about cleaning?

It's amazing. It's also a one-off prototype looking for $50M in funding. Very, very cool. Not for making miniatures in the next ten years, but after that... maybe.

It's also, you know, not news. Laser-cured resin printers have been around for a while. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6td4wIT3GHc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Peter F. Hamilton is a better example of 'How does this guy keeping getting published when I can't?"

Nah. Aside from his love of a deus ex machina, his desire for his main characters to interact no matter how unlikely the event, and his creepy fixation with teenagers having sex, Hamilton writes amazing space opera with a lot of imagination going into both technology and alien races.

Flawed but mostly worthwhile.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

I don't know whether this is technically thread-appropriate, but hey, finally some Blood Bowl 2 gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-vhwFQkRP0

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

The Supreme Court posted:

Which Banks? Better not be the M variety, that's fighting talk (just wait till I can 3d print a GSV) :argh:

A Culture space battle has wonderful potential for a game, assuming you measured turns in microseconds. Are there any decent space battle rule sets out there? BFG has a good reputation, what were its innovations and mechanics?

I can see it now...

On turn one, roll to determine conflict type and consult the following table:

1) Play an infinitely complex boardgame on 12 tables simultaneously.
2) Make your adoptive brother's sister's bones into a chair and assume his identity for the duration of the conflict. Conflict itself will be a historical wargame of your opponent's choice.
3) Have sex about it until everything works out.
4) An investment company started 400 years ago has already made this conflict unnecessary. Yell at your drone.
5) Use your effectors to gather the most information about the context of the conflict. The winner is the one with the most perspective on the key issues by turn 10.
6) Space ships shoot missile drones at each other pew pew Kaplowey. However, the result of the space battle is only worth up to 10 victory points. 1000 victory points are awarded to the result of a small scale skirmish shootout in (player chooses:)a) Wild west town, b) Medieval swamp, c) mounted conflict between nomad bands in the desert. The winner of the skirmish is the one who's knife missile captures the snitch without disrupting local cultural norms.

Then you have to build your force. Go to your toybox, select up to 1 lb of plastic dinosaurs, cowboys, soldiers, robots, and spaceships. You *cannot* have more cowboys than spaceships, and all spaceships must not be missing any of their accessories. Otherwise, you have to make your own spaceships from lego.

Flip coin to determine gender. You must adopt the gender completely before play begins.

At the beginning of each turn, both players must agree to keep playing, otherwise there's no point and the game is over.
First, select your allocation of minds. This will determine the number of years in the past your army has already been planning to win the conflict. If at any point, you have been planning for more than 100 years than your opponent, you automatically win.
Second, select interception targets. Keep in mind that for some combinations of higher order dimensions, interception is an illusion, and will merely result in shared experiences that, after resetting into a 4 dimensional context, never actually happened. For these cases, use the unit's regular drive field value, rather than the temporary mass it gains in hyperspace when determining damage to recreational areas (excluding park decks, which are covered under table 32; naturalistic environments impacted by sudden radical energies).
Third, roll to hit and damage. This damage will be considered to have occurred if the total number of turns does not exceed the threshold for time looping. Track this independently so you can easily revert it.
Fourth, roll to hit and damage. These values will have occurred if the values from the previous step are made obsolete for whatever reason.
Fifth resolve the Magic phase. Roll 2D6, this is the number of magic points to allocate to spells, and the higher of the 2 dice are your dispel dice.
Sixth resolve the Science phase. Reverse all damage to your plans done during the magic phase. Keep any effects which you consider useful, or preferable to the alternative.

Then your opponent takes their turn, unless, due to relativistic effects, it has already occurred during your turn. In which case, untake your previous turn, and then your opponent can take theirs.

TheCosmicMuffet fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Mar 20, 2015

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Phrosphor posted:

Is it true that GW discontinued their paints?

About a year ago (?) I think they changed suppliers and renamed all of their paints from their 20 year old names everyone knew like Goblin Green and Blood Red to names like DEATHWORLD UNDERDARK and KHORNE BLOODBURST so they can sue people easier.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I had a relationship like that.

I think an ironic gamebook like that would be funny. It reminds me of that Cones of Dunshire bit from Parks and Rec, but more insane, like Games Workshop.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

NTRabbit posted:

Peter F. Hamilton is a better example of 'How does this guy keeping getting published when I can't?"

I enjoy the worlds Hamilton creates but he needs to cut the Deus Ex Machina poo poo and suffers from Anne Rice's problem of not having an editor that will actually stand up to him.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Zombie Al Capone was such a dumb idea.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Someone stat up Paula Myo for 40K

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

adamantium|wang posted:

Someone stat up Paula Myo for 40K

Angela Tramelo is basically from one of the lesser Officio Assassinorum shrines.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

I don't know whether this is technically thread-appropriate, but hey, finally some Blood Bowl 2 gameplay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-vhwFQkRP0

I am so loving excited for this holy poo poo

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Oh yes, I meant the M kind of Banks. I love his writing style, just not what he actually ends up writing. But I already argued that point in this thread, probably mentioned that he wrote Algebraist to do something non-Culture and still managed to Culture it up (the only true religion is universe simulation, AI's are really really really good and lovely and only mean poopieheads don't like them, the good guys always win through massive technological superiority, smugness, smugly named weapons and more smugness, plus the good guys do, like, all the drugs and sex changes and whatever, living WILD!). At least when I read Polity, the only two recurring themes are ultraviolence and "have I told what an atheist me and all the good characters are?".

Then again, Jack Chalker was always working in involuntary gender changes and hatred of organized religion into his stuff, but he didn't visibly wank over it. Plus, he managed to pen several mostly different series. Harry Harrison doesn't wank around either.

Blood Bowl 2 can only be good because Blood Bowl 1 was released back in the day when GW made sensible decisions about videogames. Compared to recent trash, Firewarrior is like CoD4 in quality.

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I can see it now...

On turn one, roll to determine conflict type and consult the following table:

1) Play an infinitely complex boardgame on 12 tables simultaneously.
2) Make your adoptive brother's sister's bones into a chair and assume his identity for the duration of the conflict. Conflict itself will be a historical wargame of your opponent's choice.
4) An investment company started 400 years ago has already made this conflict unnecessary. Yell at your drone.
5) Use your effectors to gather the most information about the context of the conflict. The winner is the one with the most perspective on the key issues by turn 10.
6) Space ships shoot missile drones at each other pew pew Kaplowey. However, the result of the space battle is only worth up to 10 victory points. 1000 victory points are awarded to the result of a small scale skirmish shootout in (player chooses:)a) Wild west town, b) Medieval swamp, c) mounted conflict between nomad bands in the desert. The winner of the skirmish is the one who's knife missile captures the snitch without disrupting local cultural norms.

Then you have to build your force. Go to your toybox, select up to 1 lb of plastic dinosaurs, cowboys, soldiers, robots, and spaceships. You *cannot* have more cowboys than spaceships, and all spaceships must not be missing any of their accessories. Otherwise, you have to make your own spaceships from lego.

Flip coin to determine gender. You must adopt the gender completely before play begins.

At the beginning of each turn, both players must agree to keep playing, otherwise there's no point and the game is over.
First, select your allocation of minds. This will determine the number of years in the past your army has already been planning to win the conflict. If at any point, you have been planning for more than 100 years than your opponent, you automatically win.
Second, select interception targets. Keep in mind that for some combinations of higher order dimensions, interception is an illusion, and will merely result in shared experiences that, after resetting into a 4 dimensional context, never actually happened. For these cases, use the unit's regular drive field value, rather than the temporary mass it gains in hyperspace when determining damage to recreational areas (excluding park decks, which are covered under table 32; naturalistic environments impacted by sudden radical energies).
Third, roll to hit and damage. This damage will be considered to have occurred if the total number of turns does not exceed the threshold for time looping. Track this independently so you can easily revert it.
Fourth, roll to hit and damage. These values will have occurred if the values from the previous step are made obsolete for whatever reason.
Fifth resolve the Magic phase. Roll 2D6, this is the number of magic points to allocate to spells, and the higher of the 2 dice are your dispel dice.
Sixth resolve the Science phase. Reverse all damage to your plans done during the magic phase. Keep any effects which you consider useful, or preferable to the alternative.

Then your opponent takes their turn, unless, due to relativistic effects, it has already occurred during your turn. In which case, untake your previous turn, and then your opponent can take theirs.

Anyone said Roleplayer of Games yet

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Nah. Aside from his love of a deus ex machina, his desire for his main characters to interact no matter how unlikely the event, and his creepy fixation with teenagers having sex, Hamilton writes amazing space opera with a lot of imagination going into both technology and alien races.

Flawed but mostly worthwhile.

I've given up on Hamilton because of the "teenage girls or young women having sex with much older men and also they're married to them and deliriously happy". It's in every bloody book he writes and it gets loving creepy really fast. Also every book being 3 inches thick and there being three of them in every story. His SHORT fiction is pretty great though because there's generally no space for the relationship stuff and he has to stick to ideas not sprawl.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So I tried VOR the aelstorm rules. Kind of blanked out when one soldier has more stats than a hamsman.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

JcDent posted:

So I tried VOR the maelstorm rules. Kind of blanked out when one soldier has more stats than a hamsman.

I played VOR, it's an OK game but it's hampered by the fact that once you add anything past the initial starter box the game becomes a loving chore and a half to do anything in. I really like the aesthetic some of the models have, it's very 1990's Saturday Morning Cartoon feeling.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

If GW reprinted a bunch of the early stuff like

Rogue Trader

Realms of Chaos

Slaves to darkness

etc

I would buy them all.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

xutech posted:

If GW reprinted a bunch of the early stuff like

Rogue Trader

Realms of Chaos

Slaves to darkness

etc

I would buy them all.

Each of them would be a 50+ dollar premium edition with glossy hardback with brand new art, with a possibly plastic case and other junk included.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Attestant posted:

Each of them would be a 50+ dollar premium edition with glossy hardback with brand new art, with a possibly plastic case and other junk included.

"Limited edition original sculpt Space Marine Squad. Only £34.99!"

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Phrosphor posted:

Every game is bought by people who are not interested in the game, just the minis, the rest of the game ends up on ebay or in the bin.

Oh, hello Space Hulk, I didn't see your remains slumped in that courner.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Attestant posted:

These would have at most, new cover art and new model images replacing the old ones.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

TheChirurgeon posted:

These would have at most, new cover art and new model images replacing the old ones.

for an extra £25 you can get the limited edition version with A HOLOGRAM ON THE COVER! (and a numbered certificate)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

JcDent posted:

Oh yes, I meant the M kind of Banks. I love his writing style, just not what he actually ends up writing. But I already argued that point in this thread, probably mentioned that he wrote Algebraist to do something non-Culture and still managed to Culture it up (the only true religion is universe simulation, AI's are really really really good and lovely and only mean poopieheads don't like them, the good guys always win through massive technological superiority, smugness, ometismugly named weapons and more smugness, plus the good guys do, like, all the drugs and sex changes and whatever, living WILD!). At least when I read Polity, the only two recurring themes are ultraviolence and "have I told what an atheist me and all the good characters are?".

Then again, Jack Chalker was always working in involuntary gender changes and hatred of organized religion into his stuff, but he didn't visibly wank over it. Plus, he managed to pen several mostly different series. Harry Harrison doesn't wank around either.

Blood Bowl 2 can only be good because Blood Bowl 1 was released back in the day when GW made sensible decisions about videogames. Compared to recent trash, Firewarrior is like CoD4 in quality.

Sometimes I wonder if we read the same books, lol if you think the Culture series doesn't contain a lot of examination of whether or not the Minds and by extension the Culture is as "good" as it seems.

The Minds are pretty smug though, I'll give you that.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Grey Hunter posted:

Every game is bought by people who are not interested in the game, just the minis, the rest of the game ends up on ebay or in the bin.

I was going through an old box of comic books and found out (to my surprise) that I somehow had all the rules for Space Hulk and the deathwing expansion kicking around. With no box or minis.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Grey Hunter posted:

There was a time when that wasn't true. (Image from my Oldhammer 40K thread.)

The game sells the minis. The minis shouldn't be the point since most people aren't ever going to paint to the level of that Crystal Brush competition with the Daniel Craig Terminator or even half that level.

poo poo, I still buy old minis or newer ones to populate the old games! (I loathe the old poofy sleeve Marine Scout models. So my Advanced Space Crusade and Tyranid Attack box is getting early 3rd ed era metal scouts with 2 of em modded to use the plastic poofy sleeve scout Heavy Bolters. I was however able to get enough original Nid Warriors in the ASC box or from ebay to populate the set, with enough bits left over to make a little kitbash monster:

(Not shown are the spikes I greenstuffed onto it.)

The Runtherd I kept from an ebay purchase when I had an Ork army years ago because it was so nicely painted but everything else here was a cheap ebay purchase. I just need some Snotling bases for the Shokk gun.

I mean there IS a market for the older minis and editions before GW went FULL CORPORATE GREEDY IDIOT on us. But their current management doesn't remotely get it and is basically destroying the market they basically loving created.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, but gently caress them. Almost everyone in this thread has moved on to other games from other companies that are focused on producing a quality product instead of shoveling more poo poo on our plate and telling us it's a tasty, loving, cake.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Phrosphor posted:

If a squad is 10 models then this unfortunately isn't nearly obviously enough in the realm of parody :shepicide:

Make it a single character model instead.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

So, what you guys think about the Mechanicus stuff? Only one or two MEQ killing weapons. Just another flavouur of stormies?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't care.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

JcDent posted:

So, what you guys think about the Mechanicus stuff? Only one or two MEQ killing weapons. Just another flavouur of stormies?

I think the minis look cool and it's neat to have Mechanicus represented as an army list in 40K, but as usual the fact that it's GW doing it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Also apparently the skitarii are going to be something like $35 for 5, which, no, is not a good price even if they drown you in bits and poseability.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Plus it's an almost guaranteed $50 hardcover. They look cool, and I used to be all about the AdMech in fluff. Fifteen years ago I'd have the whole line pre-ordered. But today? Nah.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

JerryLee posted:

I think the minis look cool and it's neat to have Mechanicus represented as an army list in 40K, but as usual the fact that it's GW doing it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Also apparently the skitarii are going to be something like $35 for 5, which, no, is not a good price even if they drown you in bits and poseability.

http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/circle-orboros/units/tharn-ravagers

$55 for 6 monopose guys. Bigger, sure, but they're also godawful. And yet I own two units, because I like Tharn a lot and think it's a reasonable price. I will not be buying those Skitarii, but I think that if you're hobby-minded, $35 for five of them plus all the fixings is a better deal than $55 for six monopose restic heavy infantry.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Sulecrist posted:

http://privateerpress.com/hordes/gallery/circle-orboros/units/tharn-ravagers

$55 for 6 monopose guys. Bigger, sure, but they're also godawful. And yet I own two units, because I like Tharn a lot and think it's a reasonable price. I will not be buying those Skitarii, but I think that if you're hobby-minded, $35 for five of them plus all the fixings is a better deal than $55 for six monopose restic heavy infantry.

Yeah, as I've tried to say before, I absolutely will not defend the price of PP figures qua chunks of restic full stop, but they get a bit of leeway by being part of what is by all accounts a fairly solid and friendly game system. GW doesn't have that to fall back on. They also increase their prices when the material gets cheaper, rather than decreasing them. :shepface:

But I think this thread has had that conversation before.

MadWOPR
Jan 26, 2014
Here's a hypothetical, but wouldn't it be cool if GW could produce 40k or Warhammer units on a smaller scale, but prepainted and at a quality similar to FFG? A skirmish game , but without the massive time sink of modeling but without the lovely quality of heroclix.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Will $55 get you six of any GW thing on a 40mm base?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, as I've tried to say before, I absolutely will not defend the price of PP figures qua chunks of restic full stop, but they get a bit of leeway by being part of what is by all accounts a fairly solid and friendly game system. GW doesn't have that to fall back on. They also increase their prices when the material gets cheaper, rather than decreasing them. :shepface:

Well now that oil is at $40.00 a barrel and other supplies have dropped down like a rock, I really do wonder if Privateer Press will have a price drop.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

JerryLee posted:

I think the PP prices are worth it (so we disagree) (except maybe on the Brute Thrall and Goblin Tinker), but I can't fault your logic. That's why I added the "hobby perspective" caveat too, since if you're comparing GW kits to PP kits as game pieces, PP wins every time.

Edit: not sure what you mean by "friendly game system" though. Privateer Press is incredibly open and friendly; Warmachine is a very hard game. "Solid," for sure.

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 24, 2015

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Shadoer posted:

Well now that oil is at $40.00 a barrel and other supplies have dropped down like a rock, I really do wonder if Privateer Press will have a price drop.

That would be pretty cool, but I would be surprised, since they only rarely tamper with their SKUs once they're out there. I think they'd probably take advantage of it in other ways, like battlebox giveaways and these awesome all-in-one army deals.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

JerryLee posted:

I also give PP a bit more leeway because I won't ever need 10 boxes of Tharn Ravagers. But that's just my opinion, YMMV, etc etc. I like painting minis but I am, first and foremost, in it for the gaming. The painting/modeling aspect is secondary, though I do enjoy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

JerryLee posted:

When? I don't remember it.

• Locked thread