Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

david crosby posted:

"The sky is the color of a uhhh... tv. a dead tv. the future is hosed up."

What's impressive is that TV wasn't even invented when that line was written. Gee, Gibson sure was a prophet.

To be honest I don't put too much stock in opening lines. It seems to me to be one of those truisms spouted as wisdom by the likes of Gruff Knowledgeable Writer Types who know this sort of thing. What annoys me is when a writer seems to have spent far more effort in a snappy, memorable opening at the expense of, you know, the rest of the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

J_RBG posted:

What annoys me is when a writer seems to have spent far more effort in a snappy, memorable opening at the expense of, you know, the rest of the book.

I somehow doubt this happens often.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Pynchon spent like a year coming up with "a screaming comes across the sky" or whatever and basically just winged the rest of Gravity's Rainbow.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Ras Het posted:

I somehow doubt this happens often.

Ian McEwan is infuriating for this. Especially Enduring Love.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Well dont read past the opening chapter of EL, problem solved.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Honestly I always thought Fitzgerald was a really bad writer and his fascination with the rich was tedious and without value

Come at me nerds

What are you're thoughts on John O'Hara?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Borneo Jimmy posted:

What are you're thoughts on John O'Hara?

Never read him honestly. What do you think about him?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

J_RBG posted:

Ian McEwan is infuriating for this. Especially Enduring Love.

I've tried to read so many of McEwan's novels but can never get more than a couple chapters in before I get too annoyed to continue by something. The only one I managed to read to completion was The Cement Garden, which was not worth the effort.

I won't say he is overhyped or anything, but he and I clearly have different taste in writing.

Come at me, thread!

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The man in black fled across the desert and seven poo poo novels followed

i read this goddamn series all the way through when the last book came out in 10th grade and i've had trust issues ever since
i also swore off stephen king books for life

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

i also swore off stephen king books for life

I know you are all proud of yourself but it seriously took you 7 books to realize this

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I know you are all proud of yourself but it seriously took you 7 books to realize this

The important thing is he finally learned, learning is good

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

I've tried to read so many of McEwan's novels but can never get more than a couple chapters in before I get too annoyed to continue by something. The only one I managed to read to completion was The Cement Garden, which was not worth the effort.

I won't say he is overhyped or anything, but he and I clearly have different taste in writing.

Come at me, thread!

I'm riding right along with you, flipping the bird to ppl that like Atonement, even though i've never read an Ian McEwan Novel.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I liked the banana party at the beginning of Gravity's Rainbow.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
I've never made it through an entire Ian McEwan novel either. Has anyone ever made it through an entire Ian McEwan novel. Are the last 100 pages just lorem ipsum because he knows we'll never read them.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
Ive read atonement & saturday. They wrre both decent but very artificial in the hollywood movie sense, lacking only sad string music in some parts. Really, there are tons of better and more fun writers. Maybe in 80s & 90s his stuff was new and interesting, but not now.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Burning Rain posted:

Ive read atonement & saturday. They wrre both decent but very artificial in the hollywood movie sense, lacking only sad string music in some parts. Really, there are tons of better and more fun writers. Maybe in 80s & 90s his stuff was new and interesting, but not now.

I think in the 80s and 90s his stuff was cool because he hadn't yet recognized that he could make lots of money by churning out middle-brow crap for people to read on holiday.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Rabbit Hill posted:

Come at me, thread!

Oh he really is absolutely overhyped. He comes up with interesting ideas for stories and has strong moments but forgets to be interesting beyond general middle class dinner party blather. Everything wrong with British fiction nowadays can be embodied by him.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I've honestly never even bothered to read him because he seems Oprah book club-esque

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I've honestly never even bothered to read him because he seems Oprah book club-esque

same, except Tolstoy

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

well it REALLY hit me in book 5 but by that point i was like "well i've spent this much time on this i might as well finish it, SURELY it will get better"

the horseback-riding doctor dooms armed with lightsabers and exploding harry potter snitches should have been a dead giveaway so i have no one to blame but myself, really

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The covers of his books are too smooth and colorful.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Smoking Crow posted:

I think that the Book of John has a good opening line

for real, it's the best line in the bible, and the bible has some good lines

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Cannery Row has one of the best openings imo

quote:

“Cannery Row in Monterey in California is a poem, a stink, a grating noise, a quality of light, a tone, a habit, a nostalgia, a dream. Cannery Row is the gathered and scattered, tin and iron and rust and splintered wood, chipped pavement and weedy lots and junk heaps, sardine canneries of corrugated iron, honky tonks, restaurants and whore houses, and little crowded groceries, and laboratories and flophouses. Its inhabitant are, as the man once said, “whores, pimps, gambler and sons of bitches,” by which he meant Everybody. Had the man looked through another peephole he might have said, “Saints and angels and martyrs and holymen” and he would have meant the same thing.”

Speaking of which, I need to read more Steinbeck. Travels with Charley sounds like the sort of book I would love.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
So I'm giving Remarque a second chance with Three Comrades after giving up on Arch of Triumph last year, and I still cant get into his writing. Do his characters ever do anything other than drink?

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 23, 2015

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

So I'm giving Remarque a second chance with Three Comrades after giving up on Arch of Triumph last year, and I still cant get into his writing. Do his characters ever do anything other than drink?

He's a early 20th Century author so probably not

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone ever read David Vann? His new book is coming out this week and I am kinda surprised he flew under my radar.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Never read him honestly. What do you think about him?

Appointment in Samarra and BUtterfield 8 are excellent sociological portraits of upper class Americans at the beginning of the depression and I highly recommend them. His later door stop novels I can't however

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

i'm reading inherent vice now, and I kinda regret this not being my first pynchon book. I'm only 1/4th in, but it feels a lot better than the crying of lot 49. not that the latter's bad, just if things continue as they do, a lesser book than inherent vice

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Moby dick update: I got to the part where starbuck tries to chew out ahab for being obsessed about a big dumb animal and then i lost my kindle and decided to read The Getaway God: a Sandman Slim novel by Richard Kadrey.

In conclusion, i enjoyed the bromance and the whaling recruiter talking about how whaling was noble work because all the kings get their heads annointed by their sperm. 3.5/5 stars.

Normal Adult Human fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Mar 25, 2015

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
You haven't really read Moby-Dick until you get to the part about turning a whale dick into a vest

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Go to a library or a bookstore with an hour or so to kill and read the last three chapters. Call it good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

I hope you don’t have friends who recommend Ayn Rand to you. The fiction of Ayn Rand is as low as you can get re fiction. I hope you picked it up off the floor of the subway and threw it in the nearest garbage pail. She makes Mickey Spillane look like Dostoevsky.

http://electricliterature.com/flannery-oconnor-throwing-shade-at-ayn-rand-in-1960/

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Query for this thread:

Is Robert Burns a good poet or baby tier level bullshit

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

They're alright, but I wouldn't say they're that great compared to most other poets I've read. My opinion might be slightly coloured by having to read his poems in primary school, however.

As an aside, I'm about halfway through If on a winter's night a traveler, by Italo Calvino, and I'm loving it so far. I'm probably going to get Invisible Cities once I'm done.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

invisible cities is boss

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Has anyone read Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan books? I heard them compared to the My Struggle series and it's piqued my interest.

saphron
Apr 28, 2009

ulvir posted:

invisible cities is boss

Both Invisible Cities and If on a winter's night a traveler are rad, it's true (but Invisible Cities has some gorgeous loving prose).

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Has anyone read Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan books? I heard them compared to the My Struggle series and it's piqued my interest.

I just read The Days of Abandonment, and I thought it lived up to the recent hype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Smoking Crow posted:

Query for this thread:

Is Robert Burns a good poet or baby tier level bullshit

maybe you should grow out of your "baby tier level" mindset and just read his poems and decide for yourself if you like them or not?