Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

swamp waste posted:

I loving dont like it and there is so much of it. Somehow there are more guys than it seems like there should be. Fat, nimble black men bodyslam through doors, unpack themselves from shelves, shimmy through air ducts, yearning to punch me in the face. My bugeyed fuckup hero cant harm them with a machete but can somehow pick out the only empty shotgun from a pile of gore-soaked shotguns. This is someone's fantasy, but not mine. A thug with severely limited powers of object permanence whips around and performs a sick 180 noscope headshot on me through many panes of glass. The background music has looped four times already.

lol

:allears:

E: I think I've just made the best page 100 snipe ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

CJacobs posted:

Don't bother with the "read all about it" achievement without a guide unless you really want to, some of the newspapers require some pretty crapshoot pixel hunting.

Guess I was lucky because I managed to do that achievement during my first playthrough.

Still loving the the thread name btw

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
"Fat, nimble black men bodyslam through doors" is the new "Every morning I wake up and open palm slap a vhs into the slot" :allears:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
How do i beat goddamn homicide on hard, gently caress

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone know the name of the track that plays at the end of every level, when you get your score and grade?

VVVVVVVVVV Cheers, thanks a lot!

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 20, 2015

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
That would beeeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEPBefYxfWs

An amazingly :chillpill: song that contrasts wonderfully with the bloodsoaked hell you had to trudge through to get to it.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Its almost-somber edge when it fades in at the end of certain levels is perfect, too.

Geight fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 20, 2015

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The score screen is one of HLM's best features. I don't like that they made it only one screen for HLM2 though. It was more satisfying in HLM1 when the second screen would take like a minute to count up all your exposure and combo bonuses before giving you your grade.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Just finished hard mode. :feelsgood: I guess I'll wait for the inevitable river of poo poo maps that'll come with the editor.

e:

Future Days fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 20, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
gently caress yeah, I'm down.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Future Days posted:

Just finished hard mode. :feelsgood: I guess I'll wait for the inevitable river of poo poo maps that'll come with the editor.

e:

Uh, is that all? What about the fans, the son, the writer, the cop, Riker, the hitman, and the jungle commandos?

I guess if it has those two it probably has the rest? :ohdear:

My ideal mode would be giving me a level and letting me play as ANY character with ANY mask that character has. That'd be loving great.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Hooray, A+ all the levels.

Hard mode is hard :(

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Jehde posted:

The score screen is one of HLM's best features. I don't like that they made it only one screen for HLM2 though. It was more satisfying in HLM1 when the second screen would take like a minute to count up all your exposure and combo bonuses before giving you your grade.

BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS
BIG BALLS
  BIG BALLS

e:

Zaphod42 posted:

Uh, is that all? What about the fans, the son, the writer, the cop, Riker, the hitman, and the jungle commandos?

are you being deliberately obtuse

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Zaphod42 posted:

My ideal mode would be giving me a level and letting me play as ANY character with ANY mask that character has. That'd be loving great.

Man, everybody's right, you really ARE bad at posting.

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

I basically alternate between trying to A+ normal levels and trying to finish levels on hard. Helps to have something else to switch to if you're starting to get frustrated.

Withdrawal on hard is pretty goddamn nasty, though. None of the drug labs have doors anymore, and I swear that explosion is larger for killing you than it is for killing Russians.

It's a little weird that Jake gets really loving good masks, like objectively the best set of masks outside of not having a rolling mask.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

are you being deliberately obtuse

Nah I'm just dumb I guess. I mean yeah, why would they only give you those two. But maybe they're restricting the level editor to like Hotline 1 rules, since Hotline 2 has so much stuff going on?

I don't know! Have we even seen the level editor yet?

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Nah I'm just dumb I guess. I mean yeah, why would they only give you those two. But maybe they're restricting the level editor to like Hotline 1 rules, since Hotline 2 has so much stuff going on?

Yes, there was a trailer for it and everything

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zaphod42 posted:

...you're still doing it. Putting Jacket and Biker in the level editor does not mean the other characters are going away, they're just additional options. If you wanna use them, that's fine, but it's not required.

The only question I have regarding Jacket is if his inclusion in the level editor means all his masks are back or if it's just going to be the default Richard mask.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
If we get all of Jacket's masks back then I can't wait to remake HLM1: Fat men in glass houses edition.

I do hope adding custom music would be possible, too. Though from the looks of it and from snooping around, it seems that HLM2 stores its data in .wad files akin to Doom, so it should be possible to add any type of graphics or audio.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Playing through HLM1 again, it feels a lot like jacket has quicker executions. Even if jacket is just Richard there's probably enough tweaks they could do to justify him as his own character.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brovstin posted:

Yes, there was a trailer for it and everything

Oh wow, a year ago. I never heard of this trailer :smith:

I like the low-fi editor style, reminds me of zSnes or like early roller coaster construction tool programs.

King Vidiot posted:

...you're still doing it. Putting Jacket and Biker in the level editor does not mean the other characters are going away, they're just additional options. If you wanna use them, that's fine, but it's not required.

The only question I have regarding Jacket is if his inclusion in the level editor means all his masks are back or if it's just going to be the default Richard mask.

You're missing my point. I'm not saying "oh no its got biker and jacket, why not the others?" of course that doesn't make sense.

I was saying "hm, maybe they're only making a level editor for Hotline Miami 1 features and rules, since HM2 has much more going on and would be harder to program an editor for?" Hearing only about Jacket and Biker first when they're not as major characters in HM2 was just kinda confusing. I hadn't heard about the others so I was thus confused. Okay? Sorry! :v:

If its just the Richard mask that'd be unfortunate. If they're gonna let you be everybody else, including all the fan masks and whatnot, I don't see why they wouldn't let you be all of Jacket's masks, but I guess it depends upon how much HM2 shares with HM1, if they would have to re-develop those masks. A few you could copy rules from the fans for, but that only gets you so far.

Definitely looking forward to all kinds of movie scenes remade in Hotline.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Beekeeping and You posted:

I hope the level editor supports custom characters. I sort of want to make a gimmick pair of characters, alex & ash style, where one is knife-only and the other one has a tank of gasoline that he trails. You can use the the explosions to attract attention, or set traps!

If Don't Starve is any indication, the ability to make custom characters would mean that 90% of the Steam Workshop would be the internet awkwardly crowbarring in their fursonas and mopey anime Tumblr avatars without regard for art style or technical competence.

Which is one more reason why it would be the best thing ever.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

MONKET posted:

I do hope adding custom music would be possible, too.

Yup. I'd like to add some Huoratron to the mix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJB2iwf9Fdo

GLAAD trash bags
Jan 4, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

"Fat, nimble black men bodyslam through doors" is the new "Every morning I wake up and open palm slap a vhs into the slot" :allears:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM MOUSE CLICK A GAME OPEN ON STEAM. ITS HOTLINE MIAMI 2 WRONG NUMBER AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE BEST AND REAL MAIN CHARACTER DALLAS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I PUNCH OFF SOME RUSSIAN HEADS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP AND DIE AND PRESS R TO RESTART. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY KILLED A SHITTON OF RUSSIANS WITH SICK-rear end NUNCHUCK MOVES BUT I CAN, I CAN SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS AND I'VE LEARNED ALL THE EXECUTIONS AND I'VE LEARNED TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING RACIST THINGS AT RUSSIAN PEOPLE IN MY APARTMENT BUILDING.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

At the risk of re-starting the nukes debate:

Are some of the cutscenes missing as part of a bug, or are some score-dependent? I finished the game without ever seeing Beard get nuked in SF or Biker biking through the desert. I also missed the Bar of Broken Heroes but I know for a fact that was because I didn't check my answering machine as the writer.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eaten by Tigers posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM MOUSE CLICK A GAME OPEN ON STEAM. ITS HOTLINE MIAMI 2 WRONG NUMBER AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE BEST AND REAL MAIN CHARACTER DALLAS. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I PUNCH OFF SOME RUSSIAN HEADS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP AND DIE AND PRESS R TO RESTART. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY KILLED A SHITTON OF RUSSIANS WITH SICK-rear end NUNCHUCK MOVES BUT I CAN, I CAN SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS AND I'VE LEARNED ALL THE EXECUTIONS AND I'VE LEARNED TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING RACIST THINGS AT RUSSIAN PEOPLE IN MY APARTMENT BUILDING.

Feeding this into tts, importing as custom music track for the editor

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Skyscraper posted:

Are some of the cutscenes missing as part of a bug, or are some score-dependent? I finished the game without ever seeing Beard get nuked in SF or Biker biking through the desert. I also missed the Bar of Broken Heroes but I know for a fact that was because I didn't check my answering machine as the writer.

What you missed answers your second question. Someone else should be able to tell you what chapter the first bit is in, I can't remember now.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

MONKET posted:

Fat men in glass houses edition.

Please don't post about somethingawful.com

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Shoehead posted:

What you missed answers your second question. Someone else should be able to tell you what chapter the first bit is in, I can't remember now.

Oh, it's at the end of Casualties, people have mentioned it, I just didn't actually get that scene at that point. I guess I'm asking, Bug, or Feature?

Tom Skeevers
Feb 13, 2012
I wanna see someone post a video of them hacking the game so they can get an S rank on every hard mode level with Dallas.

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer
Just beat the game on normal for the second time, and I've completely changed my mind about it. Someone mentioned this earlier, but it's really awesome how Dennaton was able to recreate the same player experience as the first game (going from hating it and thinking it's nearly impossible to breezing through it and getting crazy combos). It really does build upon the skills required by HM1, and the new challenges it poses (bigger maps, more gunplay) keep things interesting. The trick to enjoying it is to try to play it by its own rules; if you keep banging your head against a floor, trying different routes and tactics, you'll eventually pull it off. Trying to abuse the AI by luring them into chokepoints is boring as poo poo; no wonder people doing that think the game sucks. Make no mistake, it's still damned hard and there are some genuinely annoying sections (Dead Ahead is probably the worst), but that doesn't mean you should try to cheese it. In order to enjoy the game, you need to learn as you play, and if you're just luring enemies into doorways, you're never going to get to that point.

In terms of the story, who are the two dead guys in the Son's office at the start of mission 23? The one is slumped dead on the couch, and the other is being used as a punching bag. Also, why does Pardo try to see the Son in his office?

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Smiley Jones posted:

I wanna see someone post a video of them hacking the game so they can get an S rank on every hard mode level with Dallas.

At the risk of :can: somebody has already managed to make a trainer for Hotline Miami 2. The problem is that the game's coding is so shoddy that it can't even work properly, fatties and dogs can still kill you when you're "invincible" and infinite ammo doesn't work with character-specific weapons like the soldier weapons.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Wampa Stompa posted:

In terms of the story, who are the two dead guys in the Son's office at the start of mission 23? The one is slumped dead on the couch, and the other is being used as a punching bag. Also, why does Pardo try to see the Son in his office?

Columbians.

Probably to try and kill him.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Skyscraper posted:

The first one is after the Casualties mission (the one in the power plant). You get a scene of Beard talking to someone and poo poo goes down. I don't know why you didn't get it as it is not a hidden cutscene at all. You did escape from the power plant, right?

You never actually see the second one, the only thing you see about him is in the last spoiler where he explains what happened to him.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I breezed through Dead Ahead on the second (still normal...) playthrough with an S. The level I'm actually having the most difficulty acing is Withdrawal. It just seems very difficult to string together a floor length combo, even if you don't care about dying on the third part.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Wilhelm_Scream.wav posted:

How do i beat goddamn homicide on hard, gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEfZSuzjA0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdDL5D1hi9o

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Ddraig posted:

The first one is after the Casualties mission (the one in the power plant). You get a scene of Beard talking to someone and poo poo goes down. I don't know why you didn't get it as it is not a hidden cutscene at all. You did escape from the power plant, right?

You never actually see the second one, the only thing you see about him is in the last spoiler where he explains what happened to him.

I totally did escape, there was a surprisingly underwhelming reception from a relief force after.

I see, I should get that spoiler, thanks. People on the wiki made it sound like it had its own cutscene as part of the ending.

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

Broken Cog posted:

Have you reached Casualties yet? The third screen of that level on hard mode is a close contender.

I'm on it now but haven't gotten past the 1st part. Should I use the flamethrower or sniper you think?

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again

swamp waste posted:

I loving dont like it and there is so much of it. Somehow there are more guys than it seems like there should be. Fat, nimble black men bodyslam through doors, unpack themselves from shelves, shimmy through air ducts, yearning to punch me in the face. My bugeyed fuckup hero cant harm them with a machete but can somehow pick out the only empty shotgun from a pile of gore-soaked shotguns. This is someone's fantasy, but not mine. A thug with severely limited powers of object permanence whips around and performs a sick 180 noscope headshot on me through many panes of glass. The background music has looped four times already.

i know that feel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Surprisingly Dope posted:

I'm on it now but haven't gotten past the 1st part. Should I use the flamethrower or sniper you think?

Flamethrower is better than any of the other weapons in practically any circumstance other than maybe the first and second screen of Casualties and Stronghold. I'd say go for that.

• Locked thread