Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Could someone please draw some highways and roads onto this picture using MSpaint? I am happy with my boring boxy residential commercial area but I just don't know how to connect it and am willing to bulldoze/relocate all of the industrial and existing highways. Ever since I tore out the original highway connection and made my own my pop has been dropping off.

Yes I am this bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RainbowCake posted:

So I've run into a problem.

I have incredibly high commercial demand, but all the commercial zones I've put down are dying due to not enough educated workers. Uneducated fucks are taking up all the jobs, which then kills the stores. There's plenty of industry--which is also dying, I keep building more and more residential, but no matter what I try to do the commercial dies and the demand keeps rising.

Probably part of the issue is that I am attempting to build a Tiny Town, with all 1x1 lots, but that means tiny houses and slow population growth. Also the 1x1 parks in the workshop are ridiculously OP, so the commercial and industry buildings keep upgrading.

What the hell do I do? In my regular big city I've always run into the opposite problem with too many overeducated workers, so I'm at a loss :saddowns:
Dont think of demand as "my city needs this to thrive". It is closer to entrepreneurial interest from idiotic captains of industry with no regard to what the city actually needs as much as a short sighted view that they can turn a quick buck without regard of how they fit into a longer term market.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

RainbowCake posted:

Take a look at the struggling businesses and see what type of educated worker they want. Then make sure you have enough of that type of school.

Industry may complain for a while, but it usually goes away -- or you can bulldoze a few industry blocks and put up a few offices instead.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Maximum Planck posted:

I spent a couple of hours tinkering with color correction tables. These are more or less for screenshots, unless you're like me and enjoy playing the game with absurd colors. :downs:

Workshop link

Man I really like the hellscape color set. What sort of adjustment stack did you use to get that? Gradient map?

I've also just gotten into making LUTs. Ever play Cities... ON ACID?

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I made a thing.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411122138

Edit: Added another screen shot.

VV Thanks!

TomR fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 21, 2015

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

This is awesome

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

RainbowCake posted:

I have incredibly high commercial demand, but all the commercial zones I've put down are dying due to not enough educated workers. Uneducated fucks are taking up all the jobs, which then kills the stores. There's plenty of industry--which is also dying, I keep building more and more residential, but no matter what I try to do the commercial dies and the demand keeps rising.

Probably part of the issue is that I am attempting to build a Tiny Town, with all 1x1 lots, but that means tiny houses and slow population growth. Also the 1x1 parks in the workshop are ridiculously OP, so the commercial and industry buildings keep upgrading.

What the hell do I do? In my regular big city I've always run into the opposite problem with too many overeducated workers, so I'm at a loss :saddowns:

Houses grow from "Remedial" to "highly educated" over time, they start low (not sure if it's the lowest or not but freshly built residential zones always show up red for me and turn blue over a few years) so if you've got a problem with not enough educated Cims its because you need to let them marinate near a school. Also, 1x1 houses only? In my experience those are horrid and I've only seen level 5 high density homes have more than a single family in a 1x1 house.

Anyways if you need a stopgap just for your Cims to work, you could always make farming or forestry industry districts. They're heavy on uneducated labor and don't upgrade so you don't suddenly have piles of businesses that need smarter people to work.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
I think after I finish this month's music commission I'll be putting out some more buildings for this game. Without the stress of having to do 15 songs (!) in a month, I'll be able to actually work on adding some more unique growables without the stress.

Because my mods for this game are significantly more popular than my actual games :suicide:

Noyemi K fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 21, 2015

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Just make us a roadside dickbutt billboard and all will be forgiven

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Domattee posted:

No Kaijus allowed

If there was a way to make buildings look rundown without having them be abandoned I'd pretend it was a Warhammer 40K city.

Now why'd you go and post a screenshot of City of Heroes?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BombermanX posted:

Should be in the OP

:agreed:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Updated the OP with a lot of stuff, if you think there's something missing please say so.

In time: Holy loving shitfuck this thread has grown.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

zedprime posted:

Dont think of demand as "my city needs this to thrive". It is closer to entrepreneurial interest from idiotic captains of industry with no regard to what the city actually needs as much as a short sighted view that they can turn a quick buck without regard of how they fit into a longer term market.

I like this :v: I had to turn unlimited money on anyway since this crap city bleeds money like a hemorrhaging whale, so...

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Take a look at the struggling businesses and see what type of educated worker they want. Then make sure you have enough of that type of school.

Industry may complain for a while, but it usually goes away -- or you can bulldoze a few industry blocks and put up a few offices instead.

Typically they only need educated and well educated, my elementary and high school coverage is good. I don't have university (or offices) unlocked yet because holy gently caress this population growth is slow. As Alkydere said, each house only holds 1 family, it's painful. I never realised how much of a challenge this would be.

Alkydere posted:

Also, 1x1 houses only? In my experience those are horrid

They're also adorable :colbert:

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

If I unlock Unique Buildings in a different save/map, will it retroactively be activated in a current map/save or will it only be unlocked for new maps?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Sankis posted:

There should be some policies, a 'retirement community' or something, that attracts all the old people so I can get all those half dead fucks out of my city where I can properly dispose of them.

I have my fingers crossed for modders or the devs to introduce more unique districts or controllable regions. Retirement communities. University campuses. High and low income residential. Red light district commercial.

It's nice being ~1 week into a game's launch and being hopeful about cool additions, and not wondering when the first set of bug-fixes will be ready.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think I need another freight train yard.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Well I learned today that a 140,000 pop ultra-happy 99% highly educated city cannot be nudged into a high crime rate for building unlocking purposes, the prissy fucks would rather just die or move out than turn to a life of crime. It seems I will have to establish a new lovely city of criminals for this purpose. I will call it.. Crime City, where criminals can flock to do crimes in peace

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

If your cims are eating that many donuts and hotdogs you're probably on the verge of one helluva health crisis.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Game still surprising me.

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Well I learned today that a 140,000 pop ultra-happy 99% highly educated city cannot be nudged into a high crime rate for building unlocking purposes, the prissy fucks would rather just die or move out than turn to a life of crime. It seems I will have to establish a new lovely city of criminals for this purpose. I will call it.. Crime City, where criminals can flock to do crimes in peace

Call it Gotham.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fabulousity posted:

If your cims are eating that many donuts and hotdogs you're probably on the verge of one helluva health crisis.

Funny you'd mention that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How the hell do you remove the lovely default preview image from the LUTS?

edit: nm figured it out GODDAMN

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 21, 2015

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

M_Gargantua posted:

Call it Gotham.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

If I unlock Unique Buildings in a different save/map, will it retroactively be activated in a current map/save or will it only be unlocked for new maps?

It will be unlocked on all maps/saves.

Also drat, the OP. I laughed a solid minute at the City of Wonders video and the picture collection killed me completely.

Speaking of pictures:

The first person camera mod allows you to adjust FoV for extra camera control.

It can also do this somehow

The No Pillar mod can do amazing stuff too

Intersections with trains >> Intersections without trains. Therefore I win.

My city shits art:

Didn't even need a mod for it. (Though there should be a mod for it)

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Just finished my map of Lowell. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=411145090 Only drag? Couldn't fit a shipping lane in the Merrimack, it's too narrow. Alas.

However, I was able to fully construct this monstrosity to about its actual scale. Every movement from MA 110, US 3, Lowell Connector, and I-495 is possible, complete with the collector/distributor.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Mar 21, 2015

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Bordercities is pretty cool but my PC is getting way too old to run modern games :( Game is really starting to chug with 75k people.

rscott fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 21, 2015

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
All the pictures in this thread make me feel like such an uncreative fucktard.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
You guys want to play tennis or basketball on the roof?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

That reddit guy's bus hub idea was really cool.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I made a whole bunch of horrible LUTs.
http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=411136904

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bus Terminals/Rail Depots are pretty good:

I can't stop making highways.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Here is a video of my crazy roundabout thing in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJbCUg5u2Io

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mr sad posted:

All the pictures in this thread make me feel like such an uncreative fucktard.

I try to make my cities more interesting my designing them to shape the terrain, rather than looking like a planned city. I feel like they end up looking more realistic that way, and it can take you in some interesting directions.

OwlFancier posted:

Bus Terminals/Rail Depots are pretty good:

You need to plant more trees. :colbert:

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I have a landfill that, once full, I hit "empty" but it keeps fluctuating between 99 and 100% full. Is it glitched or is something wrong? I have another next to it but it's not moving from one to the other

it's at a terrible intersection that I cant repave because I cant get rid of that stupid landfill

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I try to make my cities more interesting my designing them to shape the terrain, rather than looking like a planned city. I feel like they end up looking more realistic that way, and it can take you in some interesting directions.

Maybe that's my problem. The eight or so maps that come with the game seem awfully flat. Do I unlock more by playing the game?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

mr sad posted:

Maybe that's my problem. The eight or so maps that come with the game seem awfully flat. Do I unlock more by playing the game?

I don't think so, but the workshop has about a thousand. I'd recommend this one as it looks really cool:

binhex posted:

Hey, so I made a map I thought people might enjoy. It's based of the height map data from Zion National Park (although I took some artistic liberties with highways + a train connection).

You start on the valley floor and have to expand to get up to the highlands surrounding the valley.

I really enjoy playing with the water in this game, so this was a fun map to make. Some good opportunities for dams etc in here.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=410988108

The valley floor

A nice twisty river

Some of the highlands around the valley

An overview of the map

Emerald pools + waterfall

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fish Fry Andy posted:

You need to plant more trees. :colbert:

I would but the clicking hurts my finger. I have a lot of city to cover.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah I uploaded one last night too. :v: Lumpy lands forever!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

mr sad posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=406922113

Its hilly, but not to the point of ruining growth.

(Self Promotion is great. )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Fish Fry Andy posted:

The food truck fad has gotten out of control.