Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I'm pretty nervous about the possibility of doing something very interesting with this many characters and universes.

vvv Yeah, that exactly.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

I'm pretty nervous about the possibility of doing something very interesting with this many characters and universes.

With all these characters and universes they're cramming in, how exactly are they going to make a coherent story from all of this? Unless most of them are just cameos and the main focus is still on Megaman and Sonic.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
I'm figuring they're probably also, at least in part, testing the waters for the other characters, seeing if they can spin them out into other new series.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Too bad Final Fight is wrapped up with Street Fighter, making it a UDON property. We'd be one step closer to a comic where Mike Haggar, Cody Travers and Guy rid Riverdale of the Mad Gear.

J Detan
Apr 24, 2008

Wir haben uns zu Meistern der Wissenschaft!

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure I see Vyse from Skies of Arcadia there. Check the hilt by Nights' head.

Of course, now I would kill for a SoA comic by this creative team.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

With all these characters and universes they're cramming in, how exactly are they going to make a coherent story from all of this? Unless most of them are just cameos and the main focus is still on Megaman and Sonic.

Probably kinda cameo and kinda just background. They'll all show up long enough to have the very basics of their characters fleshed out and their powers explained, then they'll kinda fade into the background like all of Sonic's umpteen non-Tails friends did in the last crossover.

Or you know, like how in every big Marvel crossover, Captain America and the big names are at the lead but every now and then somebody like Colossus will pop up just to remind you that hey don't forget the X-Men are here too!

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

Gavok posted:

Too bad Final Fight is wrapped up with Street Fighter, making it a UDON property. We'd be one step closer to a comic where Mike Haggar, Cody Travers and Guy rid Riverdale of the Mad Gear.

Or for this kind of crossover, working with the Streets of Rage characters.

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

Day 4
Characters revealed: Ryu, Vyse (Skies of Arcadia), Base Wing (Panzer Dragoon), Monster Hunter

The IGN article update specifically mentions Chun-Li too.

This was a bit of a surprise, I figured Udon had dibs on SF.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo, Vyse looks really bad.

Oh well.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Who is the girl in the bikini? Is that supposed to be Chun Li?

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011

TEHJOE posted:

Who is the girl in the bikini? Is that supposed to be Chun Li?

Tyris Flare from Golden Axe.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I guess Street Fighter being an UDON license doesn't much matter. Now I really want that Final Fight vs. Archie comic. Gavok, go pitch it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
How did they manage to make Amaterasu look off model?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

I guess Street Fighter being an UDON license doesn't much matter. Now I really want that Final Fight vs. Archie comic. Gavok, go pitch it.

"Archie, there is an entire pot roast in this otherwise empty oil drum! THIS IS AMAZING!"

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Endless Mike posted:

poo poo, make it about Mike Haggar running for Mayor of Riverdale and I'll buy ten copies.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Persona 4 : The Ultimate Hamburger in Riversdale Arena (Featuring Dante From The Devil May Cry Series)

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 27, 2015

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!

Mehuyael posted:

Oh poo poo, Vyse looks really bad.

Oh well.

Well I guess his Jaw is a little more square than it should be, maybe Ryu had some extra chin to lend him.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
some more covers for that rear end

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Finally, some news on the release dates (and previews) for the next AwA and Sabrina. Sacasa promises there will never be another delay as huge as the Sabrina one, which I find hard to believe considering Archie is putting out a THIRD horror series. While I don't want them to wear out the premise of "Archie characters in horror", I guess the delays do help prevent oversaturation, and the quality of what IS out has consistently been top notch, so sure, I'm excited to hear more about the new one.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd put them on a rotation. Like maybe have them bi- or tri-weekly. So Afterlife is out on the 1st of the month, Sabrina on the 15th/21st, and the third book on the 1st /15th and so on, so there's a built in longer-than-normal buffer. Also maybe get another writer in on things.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
I'm just glad there's going to be another issue of Sabrina. Can't stand zombies so I have no interest in Afterlife, but Sabrina was a drat hoot.

I'm hoping I can make a Josie and the Pussy Riot book happen through pure positive thinking.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nobby posted:

I'm just glad there's going to be another issue of Sabrina. Can't stand zombies so I have no interest in Afterlife, but Sabrina was a drat hoot.

I'm hoping I can make a Josie and the Pussy Riot book happen through pure positive thinking.

Josie as a slasher book might work, actually.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Josie as a slasher book might work, actually.

Well, what was said in the article was:

quote:

As for that mysterious third horror series, the publisher isn’t quite ready to reveal what it is just yet. But Aguirre-Sacasa was able to give us a pretty sizable set of clues.

“I can tell you that it will be centered around a major Archie character,” teases Aguirre-Sacasa. “She has appeared in one of our books before. And [the book] will be in a genre we have not explored or even hinted at in Sabrina—in Afterlife, we’ve only hinted at it a tiny, tiny bit. And it will be set in the present.”

So maybe it is Josie ala Hack/Slash?

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Who else could it be besides Josie? Ethel? Cheryl Blossom? Katy Keene? :byodame:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

feetnotes posted:

Who else could it be besides Josie? Ethel? Cheryl Blossom? Katy Keene? :byodame:

Cheryl would be pretty good as the slutty girl the slasher movie killer always murders first.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Been catching up. Apparently the archie megaman writers managed to combine four separate 'by the way, this robot was an alien' mentions into something vaguely cohesive.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 23, 2015

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Despite not having read anything Archie since I was a kid, I ended up picking up the Afterlife with Archie trade paperback after having it highly recommended. It was definitely worth it and I still can't get over this is being put out by Archie comics of all things. I can't wait for the next TPB, but I'm seriously debating just picking up issues because I'm that hooked.

I am wondering what else they'll be incorporating into the storyline since some of the locations I remember being from Lil' Archie, but don't think any of the characters from there have appeared. I'm even wondering what happened to Jughead's baby sister.

As far as speculating on the third horror title, I really can't think of any characters aside from Josie and the Pussycats being notable enough, and for the genre...slasher's a maybe, so's haunting/ghosts. Even though I've yet to see anything that would be hintworthy, there's also werecreatures as an option.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.
Josie and the Werecats? Taking, say, Cat People as a starting point?

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

In the Hannah-Barbera Josie show they went around solving mysteries a la Scooby Doo, Jabberjaw etc. That formula with real monsters sounds like a blast, and gives them something to do other than play music in a medium where that doesn't translate well.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Nobby posted:

Josie and the Werecats? Taking, say, Cat People as a starting point?

That's like one step away from Darkstalkers.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Archie vs Predator is on stands today and holy poo poo it is incredible and bonkers in the best way. The writing seems to be going for a goofy kind of tongue-in-cheek b-movie horror vibe and integrates it absolutely flawlessly with the Archie ascetic. Jokes bounce back and forth between "jughead is hungry" and insane camp like dilton weeping in depraved tongue-lolling ecstasy as he caresses his precious telescope and whispers sweet nothings while fixing it on the stars. Betty and Veronica wish upon a star to win the summer beach fashion show, Cheryl Blossom to (direct quote) destroy the proletariat.
We are seeing a "standard" modern Archie look for the characters, but there's a lot of interesting and dynamic variation in panel layouts that I'm not used to seeing, and the comfortable style of the character art really highlights the backgrounds, which are actually quite good.

Please buy this book :)

Epoxy Bulletin fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 16, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the flipside, Sabrina #2 finally came out! (Almost just wrote 'Sabrina came out' which would certainly be newsworthy also)

And um... Ann Margaret is apparently a witch and friends with Sabrina?

Otherwise, some solid horror, though a little odd that we're seeing it from the monster's perspective, not the 'heroine'. In fact, that framing device makes a little odd for the few pages where we do switch back to Sabrina and Salem. Aguirre-Sacasa definitely seems to be leaning into the idea of this being a darker take on the usual Sabrina story, though. Her using magic to get a role in the school play so she can make out with Harvey is exactly the sort of thing that would be in the comics or TV shows.
The autumn colour palette is really striking and the art manages to evoke the 60s without really looking like comic art of the era, which is very impressive.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I also liked the one page Sabrina/Hellboy comic, which was placed--oddly enough--in Archie vs Predator #1, despite it using the artist of the Sabrina horror comic. :3:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The third comic is Li'l Jinx in the style of Let The Right One In.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They found an Archie crossover even more ridiculous than Predator.

:psyduck:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Until I see otherwise, I'm going to bet that this will actually be what people feared Archie and the Yautja would end up being. I get a weird Bluewater vibe from the whole thing.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Lightning Lord posted:

The third comic is Li'l Jinx in the style of Let The Right One In.

I'm unironically hoping for a Peyton Place style throwback soap focused on Betty's older sister.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Afterlife With Archie is finally back after a hiatus that Sacasa promises will never happen to such an extent again, and not only is it great as usual, it's also a lot longer than any of the first seven issues. There aren't a lot of references to past Archie things in this one; most of the people and places mentioned are either brand new or (if they occurred in some minor story) insignificant, though I'm sure there are a few horror references I missed.

Quick review: I don't know how the team is doing it but they're able to sell quite well that this comic encompasses more horror genres than merely "zombie apocalypse". We got an elder gods thing in issue 6 and now it's doing a haunting. I liked that the Jughead ghost was actually Jughead and not an evil Shining ghost, and I especially liked how they tied in the Cthulhu story to the idyllic nature of Riverdale.

Anyway, here's the very few notes I have for Afterlife With Archie #8

Forsythe Jones - Like the other ancestors named in this issue, I don't believe this is a character who ever showed up. I do want to point out that Jughead's real name is Forsythe, which makes this a nice explanation of sorts as to why Mr. and Mrs. Jones would ever give their kid a name like Forsythe.

Jellybean Jones - I don't remember if I mentioned this before, but Jughead has a baby sister! In the main comics, she's pretty much a perpetual baby like Maggie Simpson, with a few words thrown in here and there. It seems they've reduced her age gap with Jughead for narrative purposes. She's a relatively new character, introduced in the 90s during another of their great Jughead reinventions. It was a special event spanning multiple issues--a rarity for Archie! I don't recall if fans were asked to vote on who should get a sibling, or on the gender of Jughead's sibling, but as you might expect, it was no contest. And no, Jellybean is not her real name--Jughead gave her that nickname after being too embarrassed to reveal her real one, which was a subject of some mystery for quite a while. If you really want to know her true name, it's Forsythia. Way to go mom and dad.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Holy poo poo. Archie just launched a crowdfunding campaign to expand the Archie reboot. Among other things, Chip Zdarsky is writing Jughead. Also included in the Kickstarter are Adam Hughes on Betty/Veronica, and a new Kevin Keller series from his creator. I do hope this makes it to what I think is a pretty ambitious goal for Archie :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe

Argue posted:

Holy poo poo. Archie just launched a crowdfunding campaign to expand the Archie reboot. Among other things, Chip Zdarsky is writing Jughead. Also included in the Kickstarter are Adam Hughes on Betty/Veronica, and a new Kevin Keller series from his creator. I do hope this makes it to what I think is a pretty ambitious goal for Archie :ohdear:

Yeah I'm definitely in. Once you get into the tiers that have variants on it, it easily pays for itself compared to how much those things go for. Especially anything limited by Fiona Staples.

• Locked thread